• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Aw screw it, nobody has disconfirmed Warner Brother games yet, might as well ride the Maxwell hype train until it reaches inevitable disappointment.

Heck it might be foolhardy, but Smash speculation is a fools game anyway.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Despite NDAs being a thing and the video is meant for a huge audience. What Sakurai said even implied Pac-Man was their only character if it was even meant to be anything other than silly banter. And he never hints more than a day before a reveal.
What I’m saying is the way they describe Pac-Man is probably a common practice for many other characters, including dlc.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Not Sabi. Verge on the other hand seems to be played for the lols. Timing Hero’s release right after Joker is pretty damn hilarious.
I can assure you Nintendo does not plan their reveal schedule and marketing strategies around some dude on GameFAQs.

That is not how companies work.

D

Deleted member

I originally typed up this post as a response to another post from several pages back, but I decided to save it for another day, and I think now would be a good time to put it out...

Your Honors, submitted for your approval: The Case and Evidence for Phoenix Wright in Smash.
  • For one, Phoenix Wright fits nicely into the Fighters Pass as "third party character from a series completely new to Smash", since Ace Attorney has had zero content in previous Smash games or Ultimate's base game. Not only that, he's owned by Capcom, a third party company who so far has been perfectly cooperative with allowing their stuff into Smash.
  • The Ace Attorney series is much, much bigger than people realize. True, it's no Resident Evil or Monster Hunter... but it still has 11 games (6 mainline games, 4 spin-off games, and 1 crossover game with Professor Layton), crossover appearances in other games such as Marvel vs. Capcom and Project X Zone, adaptations to anime, manga, a live action film, light novels, musicals, orchestra concerts, drama CDs, stage plays... it may be similar to Dragon Quest in that it's more popular in Japan than in the west, but the popularity of Ace Attorney is still nothing to sneeze at.
  • People tend to bring up Nintendo relevance and appearances on their consoles as an advantage (I certainly know that people have brought it up in regards to Resident Evil), even if Cloud and Joker show that it technically isn't necessary. Well, the Ace Attorney series has been a Nintendo exclusive for almost its entire life, making its home on Nintendo handhelds like the Game Boy Advance, DS, and 3DS. It wasn't until the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD release that the series was finally on non-Nintendo consoles.
  • People also tend to bring up Sakurai discussing and acknowledging a series as another advantage (such as arguing for Gordon Freeman by pointing out Sakurai praising the Half-Life games). In 2005, Sakurai wrote a Famitsu column commenting on the TGS promo videos for the Ace Attorney DS ports, noting how the presentation stood out to him, and if that isn't enough, here's a 2016 photo of Sakurai hanging out with Shu Takumi, the creator of the Ace Attorney games and director of the original trilogy. Granted, that photo could mean absolutely nothing in regards to Smash, but if there was anything to take away from it, it's that Sakurai and Takumi are likely on good terms, meaning negotiating for Phoenix Wright would be easier.
... granted, I say all this knowing of the possibility that Phoenix Wright won't be Fighter 5... but at the very least, all this shows that he's just likely in general, whether for Fighter 5 or post-Pass.
7887B7BC-CAEA-49AE-AF95-CBA91D4CBF6D.gif

There is nothing wrong with this

can’t wait for the lawyer

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
So, about a year ago, I said that if I was wrong about Steve being a character in the fighter's pass and that the fighter's pass was the last of character DLC, I would drink an entire glass of water.

Now that I have drank my glass of water, how about this. If Sora gets in Smash as a playable character, I will drink two entire glasses of water. How does that sound?
Don't go crazy.
You need to lay off that stuff.
Just quit. Cold turkey.

If Sakura actually ends up happening then she better come with a remix of this godly track:
Geki! Teikoku-Kagekidan is a requirement. That version specifically. No remix. No re-arrangement. No new vocalist.

That said, I'd also welcome the new version from the upcoming game as an additional track:

Original is still best, but that one is growing on me too.

D

Deleted member

I can assure you Nintendo does not plan their reveal schedule and marketing strategies around some dude on GameFAQs.

Not true. Isaac, Shadow, Geno, Mach Rider, Chorus Kids, and Banjo were all fully playable, but were removed when the Grinch leak happened to throw everyone off their trail. To make everyone mad, they made Incineroar in a week and removed everyone else. Due to popular demand, they put Banjo back in as DLC.

It's not entirely unrealistic that Nintendo would switch the order to toy with some random guy who may have insider contacts.

:4pacman:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

1 takeaway I have in all this is that Vergeben has outright said who isn't FP5 very briefly from Scorpion to now Namco and Level-5. All of his responses have been straightforward with no real explanations, except for Hayabusa. He gave us a possible reason why Hayabusa may have been looked upon as the next DLC character, that being discussions may have been leaked instead which caused confusion among leakers into believing he would be FP5. Not even the Mii Hat Ken stuff made Vergeben say anything about Doom Slayer after saying FP5 wasn't him. It might be possible that Hayabusa was actually leakbait for a different Koei-Tecmo character in mind for FP5 as Vergeben has yet to say anything about the other IPs KT owns, and that character in mind may be someone from Dynasty Warriors.

Granted, I'm not expecting a Dynasty Warriors character to be revealed at the VGAs, and I could be wrong about Hayabusa actually being leakbait. I just think this could be a possibility since the entirety of Koei-Tecmo hasn't been deconfirmed by anyone so far.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
so regarding namco there's this
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Didn't Sabi say, idk, several hours ago that she was done due to TGA's proximity? I mean it was obviously an excuse, but still.

Can't let Verg play alone on "For Glory" I guess.

Namco and Nintendo probably trolled him. They got him to say “Minecraft content is coming!” and embarrassed him a CONFIRMED character. He is a monkey to them.

I knew Verge was potentially trolled the moment he said Namco. Look at the lack of Namco miis, listen to how Sakurai describes his interactions with Namco in the Pac-Man discussion, and Verge’s misinformation. They are prepared for this ****, they’ve likely gotten better at it.
And so begins the five stages

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we absolutely have to get one more third-party, I'm kind of hoping the last character is someone ridiculous and not serious at all, like classic Minecraft Steve or someone from Fortnite.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

You’re thinking things the wrong way. They have a real schedule and they have fakes around to mislead people severely. They planned Hero as fighter #2 and they told others he’s fighter #1. The fakes could also get them to discover disloyal employees.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Assuming these rumors are true, I kind of want #5 to not be leaked at this point. No Bandai Namco would be pretty surprising.

D

Deleted member

You’re thinking things the wrong way. They have a real schedule and they have fakes around to mislead people severely. They planned Hero as fighter #2 and they told others he’s fighter #1. The fakes could also get them to discover disloyal employees.
Okay
What is the actual ****ing point of telling someone that a character is the first fighter, have them not be the first fighter, then have them be in the game anyway?
Your logic is actually blowing my ****ing mind

SmashSSL

Smash Apprentice
Wright: "I am alive! ... is nice."

This is playing on every Ace Attorney fan's head right now.

Phoenix Gang
Phoenix Gang

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Denial: it's not just a river in Egypt.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Don't go crazy.
You need to lay off that stuff.
Just quit. Cold turkey.

Geki! Teikoku-Kagekidan is a requirement. That version specifically. No remix. No re-arrangement. No new vocalist.

That said, I'd also welcome the new version from the upcoming game as an additional track:

Then do what they did with stuff like Terry's theme music and the Pokemon theme and include like 5 versions of the track.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
My thoughts. I don't think Sega's getting a Second Rep this DLC season and I don't think Capcom is getting a rep either.

I'm positive it's going to be a wild card.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yes, and there’s a way for employees to check if something is leakbait if they’re smart. Usually leakbait is a character’s name when they’re not actually in based on what insiders and leakers have said before regarding characters as leakbait and never saying anything about other kinds of leakbait.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Any more news regarding Bethesda? If Namco's out of the running for FP5, then my hype is going fully towards Dragonborn until post-pass DLC starts.

Though for Prince of All Cosmos I'd say Namco not being FP5 is a good thing. The post-pass DLC was likely negotiated late last year or early this year, which means Namco got to see how well Katamari Damacy Reroll did. Furthermore, the Fighter's Pass was negotiated during development, which is when the Prince was added to Pac Man's taunt (meaning he likely wasn't considered at the time). So now that all of those circumstances are out of the way, the road has further been cleared for the Prince. These same circumstances benefit those hoping for Heihachi as well!

though I'd prefer Kantei Collection...
Pizza Time Stops.PNG

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Oh **** I leave this thread for an hour and both Bamco and Level 5 are dead. I'd say things are looking good for the Phoenix Wright gang right now, but honestly the last time I was confident in a character they all ****ing died so I'm just gonna stay silent on this one and hopefully not jinx it. So what I'm saying is that Phoenix Wright will never be in Smash and I would really ****ing hate it if he made it in. :ultpacman:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Didn't Sabi say, idk, several hours ago that she was done due to TGA's proximity? I mean it was obviously an excuse, but still.

Can't let Verg play alone on "For Glory" I guess.

And so begins the five steps
It’s denial to think Verge isn’t trusting!? Are you kidding me? I would more likely believe this stuff if Sabi was the one who said this stuff. Sabi manages their stuff well and they’re more careful than Verge.

why is Sabi doing this? Threaten a guy’s waifu and you get a guy motivated. It’s up to Sabi on finding out the outcome for their waifu.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Plot twist: Imagine if the reveal trailer starts up, and the Ace Attorney "Pursuit" theme starts playing...

... only for some of the notes to start sounding completely out of place...

CHEETAHMEN RUN OFF TO SMASH!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why would they accurately disclose a character and make the leakbait just when he was set to release? Leakbait is providing a false character.

People saying Hero would be the first DLC was based on assumption since he was leaked so far in advance of any other DLC.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

Tbh the original is the best version I’d say so yeah I don’t think an re-arrangement is needed, I feel the second one could also be included as a bonus track tbh.

I must say though it needs to play in her reveal trailer.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Ummmm didnt Sakurai himself say that Joker wasn't even in pre-planning stages and was revealed firsrt solely intended as a surprise reveal at the game awards? Theres absolutely nothing implying intentional misinformation

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Plot twist: Imagine if the reveal trailer starts up, and the Ace Attorney "Pursuit" theme starts playing...

... only for some of the notes to start sounding completely out of place...

CHEETAHMEN RUN OFF TO SMASH!
Cheetahmen with Cat Mario echo ez money

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
If it turns out to be Phoenix Wright, I'd be all excited. He's one of the 3rd Parties I wanted to see added back when this whole Fighter Pass was announced. Seriously, there needs to be a parody of Terry's video but with every 3rd party trying and failing to get the invitation.
Hopefully, Phoenix won't suffer a terrible fate like everyone el-
Vergeben from the Future said:
FP5 is not from Capcom lol
Well, now what?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It’s denial to think Verge isn’t trusting!? Are you kidding me? I would more likely believe this stuff if Sabi was the one who said this stuff. Sabi manages their stuff well and they’re more careful than Verge.

why is Sabi doing this? Threaten a guy’s waifu and you get a guy motivated. It’s up to Sabi on finding out the outcome for their waifu.
No, it's denial to never complain about any of the previous deconfirming claims from Verg or Sabi, and when it contradicts the outcome you thought would happen, that's when you start calling into question the credibility of the leaker.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
So today our deconfirmations are:
Nightmare
KOS MOS
Prof Layton
Jibanyan(Thank ****)
Agumon
Heihachi
Any Dark Souls rep

So either the leakers are wrong or DLC 5 is way out there

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That’s a weird way of spelling Elma :p

yeah, going all in on Elma now. Caitlin Glass’s NDA, Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project, the mech replica... it all comes to light now...!
Go for it wishing you the best. If she's not F#5, then I hope that she's the bonus character that's bound to be introduced before the FP2 character's like Pri
I'm done suggesting s***. Everything I touch dieeeees.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Tell me more, while specifically, (for no reason) you also tell me your thoughts on Phoenix Wright chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom