• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Watch as Fighter #5 actually turns out to be ****ing Katalina from Granblue lol
I obviously have no problem with that.
But hoo boy that would be something lol.

Real talk tho, I'd expect Gran/Djeeta (the protagonists) before Katalina if we got anyone from Granblue.
Heck anything from Cygames would make me lose my ****, but I'm not expecting it at all tbh.

At this point, I'm fine w/ #5 being whoever as long as they're interesting.

Which I'm pretty sure Sakurai can make anyone interesting at this point so...

I'm just along for the ride bois.
thatsnoneofmy.jpg

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It's been a while since I've been here and it seems that this Guess Who game of speculation for FP5 is heating up.

With Bamco out, it seems that these are possible candidates for DLC 5.

Phoenix Wright
Sora
Amaterasu
Sony rep (likely Kratos or Lara Croft)
Reimu
Arle
Maybe Shantae, but I see her more for post fighter's pass
Sol Badguy
Nintendo rep? (either from Three Houses, Astral Chain, or Waluigi)
Sakura (Sakura Wars)
Bethesda rep?

and my ultimate dark horse candidate... Untitled Goose from Untitled Goose Game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And so our game of 20 questions continues.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
inb4 SiIvaGunner predicted a Phoenix Wright and Monokuma dual reveal before any of us.
Ooh if Phoenix is revealed in the coming weeks that'll give Law & Disorder an edge on the KFAD tournament. Guess I'm a Phoenix Wright supporter now.

Ivander

Smash Legend
But either way, no Namco or Level-5.

Can't say for sure if it won't be or will be. Only time will tell. On the other hand, the fact that it's making us talk about different characters does feel nice. Like it was interesting talking about a whole bunch of Namco characters last night.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Namco and Nintendo probably trolled him. They got him to say “Minecraft content is coming!” and embarrassed him a CONFIRMED character. He is a monkey to them.

I knew Verge was potentially trolled the moment he said Namco. Look at the lack of Namco miis, listen to how Sakurai describes his interactions with Namco in the Pac-Man discussion, and Verge’s misinformation. They are prepared for this ****, they’ve likely gotten better at it.
Ah yes, denial. The first of the five stages of grief.

kylexv

Smash Master
So, about a year ago, I said that if I was wrong about Steve being a character in the fighter's pass and that the fighter's pass was the last of character DLC, I would drink an entire glass of water.

Now that I have drank my glass of water, how about this. If Sora gets in Smash as a playable character, I will drink two entire glasses of water. How does that sound?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I legitimately don't think Sakurai or Nintendo cares who is "worthy" to be shown off at the TGAs. If they want to throw Captain Rainbow up there on the big screen, they'll do it.
This.

Especially, It should be noted that the Fighter's pass was decided before they even decided to reveal Joker at last Year's VGAs.

What is VGA Worthy is horse****.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Namco and Nintendo probably trolled him. They got him to say “Minecraft content is coming!” and embarrassed him a CONFIRMED character. He is a monkey to them.

I knew Verge was potentially trolled the moment he said Namco. Look at the lack of Namco miis, listen to how Sakurai describes his interactions with Namco in the Pac-Man discussion, and Verge’s misinformation. They are prepared for this ****, they’ve likely gotten better at it.
I’m pretty sure leaks don’t work the way you imply, as if they even knew who he was when he got Minecraft in Smash info + his sources probably wouldn’t betray him. Sometimes sources are just wrong or the leaker jumps the gun, which could be the case now but still.

And I highly doubt Sakurai is going to talk about secret stuff and even risk someone letting it slip in a video for the public audience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Implying he isn't a magnificent god among men?
For meme purposes no.
For what I actually think also no.
For what the public thinks yes absolutely. **** got mocked to hell and back

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If Sakura actually ends up happening then she better come with a remix of this godly track:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I’m pretty sure leaks don’t work the way you imply, as if they even knew who he was when he got Minecraft in Smash info + his sources probably wouldn’t betray him.

And I highly doubt Sakurai is going to talk about secret stuff and even risk someone letting it slip in a video for the public audience.
15 seconds of flexing on pre-recorded footage isn’t that seriously risky. It just reveals a bigger picture of the practices inside of the company for a relatively few amount of people watching the video.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So I'm guessing so far it's between Arc System Works, Capcom, and Nintendo. Personally, I'm betting on an Arc System character because I don't get the surge in popularity for Phoenix (besides being playable in UMvC3) and I'm still kinda thinking the pass is all 3rd parties

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I originally typed up this post as a response to another post from several pages back, but I decided to save it for another day, and I think now would be a good time to put it out...

Your Honors, submitted for your approval: The Case and Evidence for Phoenix Wright in Smash.
  • For one, Phoenix Wright fits nicely into the Fighters Pass as "third party character from a series completely new to Smash", since Ace Attorney has had zero content in previous Smash games or Ultimate's base game. Not only that, he's owned by Capcom, a third party company who so far has been perfectly cooperative with allowing their stuff into Smash.
  • The Ace Attorney series is much, much bigger than people realize. True, it's no Resident Evil or Monster Hunter... but it still has 11 games (6 mainline games, 4 spin-off games, and 1 crossover game with Professor Layton), crossover appearances in other games such as Marvel vs. Capcom and Project X Zone, adaptations to anime, manga, a live action film, light novels, musicals, orchestra concerts, drama CDs, stage plays... it may be similar to Dragon Quest in that it's more popular in Japan than in the west, but the popularity of Ace Attorney is still nothing to sneeze at.
  • People tend to bring up Nintendo relevance and appearances on their consoles as an advantage (I certainly know that people have brought it up in regards to Resident Evil), even if Cloud and Joker show that it technically isn't necessary. Well, the Ace Attorney series has been a Nintendo exclusive for almost its entire life, making its home on Nintendo handhelds like the Game Boy Advance, DS, and 3DS. It wasn't until the Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD release that the series was finally on non-Nintendo consoles.
  • People also tend to bring up Sakurai discussing and acknowledging a series as another advantage (such as arguing for Gordon Freeman by pointing out Sakurai praising the Half-Life games). In 2005, Sakurai wrote a Famitsu column commenting on the TGS promo videos for the Ace Attorney DS ports, noting how the presentation stood out to him, and if that isn't enough, here's a 2016 photo of Sakurai hanging out with Shu Takumi, the creator of the Ace Attorney games and director of the original trilogy. Granted, that photo could mean absolutely nothing in regards to Smash, but if there was anything to take away from it, it's that Sakurai and Takumi are likely on good terms, meaning negotiating for Phoenix Wright would be easier.
... granted, I say all this knowing of the possibility that Phoenix Wright won't be Fighter 5... but at the very least, all this shows that he's just likely in general, whether for Fighter 5 or post-Pass.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Honestly the fact that Sakurai has negotiated with an actual competitor (Microsoft) and Square Enix in the same pass makes me think talking with Disney isn't entirely out of the question.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yes, it’s the grinch leaks **** again. Except, it’s purposeful on the company’s side.
Do you...Really think Nintendo is acting like some shadow organization, pulling Sabi and Verge's strings from behind the scenes? I can tell you without a doubt in my mind, that that is very, very unlikely. But hey, you do you.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In all seriousness, I'm REALLY suspicious of GameXplain's video now. All that "Fighter #5 could even be first-party" talk is making me think they know what Verge knows and they're being cheeky about it.

They keep saying Rex/Pyra, but would they really be that blunt?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Verge disconfirmed Namco for fighter #5, sure, but he didn't say anything about Monolith Soft.

KOS-MOS still has a chance, boys!
That’s a weird way of spelling Elma :p

yeah, going all in on Elma now. Caitlin Glass’s NDA, Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project, the mech replica... it all comes to light now...!

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Do you...Really think Nintendo is acting like some shadow organization, pulling Sabi and Verge's strings from behind the scenes? I can tell you without a doubt in my mind, that that is very, very unlikely. But hey, you do you.
Not Sabi. Verge on the other hand seems to be played for the lols. Timing Hero’s release right after Joker is pretty damn hilarious.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
That’s a weird way of spelling Elma :p

yeah, going all in on Elma now. Caitlin Glass’s NDA, Hiroyuki Sawano’s secret project, the mech replica... it all comes to light now...!
It depends. Does the project need a bigger gun?

D

Deleted member

Honestly the fact that Sakurai has negotiated with an actual competitor (Microsoft) and Square Enix in the same pass makes me think talking with Disney isn't entirely out of the question.
>Disney pulls a Spider-Man and asks for 100% of the profits from Sora amiibo sales.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
In all seriousness, I'm REALLY suspicious of GameXplain's video now. All that "Fighter #5 could even be first-party" talk is making me think they know what Verge knows and they're being cheeky about it.

They keep saying Rex/Pyra, but would they really be that blunt?
Jon said at the start that his bet for this pack was Arle. Not to mention, in past he has already shown how much he wants Rex in the game, so it's not surprising he talked so much about them.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
15 seconds of flexing on pre-recorded footage isn’t that seriously risky. It just reveals a bigger picture of the practices inside of the company for a relatively few amount of people watching the video.
Despite NDAs being a thing and the video is meant for a huge audience. What Sakurai said even implied Pac-Man was their only character if it was even meant to be anything other than silly banter. And he never hints more than a day before a reveal, if those certain “hints” were even hints in the first place and not him actually being tired.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If somehow Vergeben disconfirms Capcom, then I'll just throw any logical thought to the wind and go with Sora or 2B. Why? No reason, but at that point reason will have died for me regardless and I'll just acknowledge that I know nothing.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Could FP5 actually be a Nintendo character? It would help explain why no one truly knows. because it's Nintendo themselves keeping FP5's identity locked tight. I wouldn't be surprised if only one or two people are actually working this fighter.
There's plenty of other explanations for this and at this point it really doesn't make much sense to be a Nintendo character.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
If Sakura actually ends up happening then she better come with a remix of this godly track:

I have never touched Sakura Wars but after listening to that I'm totally down for Sakura as FP5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom