• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
The problem with all of these so called theories is that they fall apart quicker than you think.

Anyone remember Music theory? Or Earthquake Theory? Or Mii costume theory?

My theory: Too many theories theory. Exactly what it says in the title.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I think these publishers and characters are still left on this game of Guess Who?

Namco (Tales of, Tekken, Xenosaga, Soul Calibur, and Dark Souls. I guess Katamari, Klonoa, and Taiko too, but those wouldn't be too exciting)
Capcom (Phoenix Wright is what's left standing. If we're reaching, Amaterasu and Morrigan)
Square (Idk, but it's still possibly Square)
Disney (Sora)
Activision (Spyro's still possible, I think)
Konami (Contra, Frogger, maybe even Silent Hill)
Bethesda (Elder Scrolls and Fallout are still in the running. Wolfenstein would not get in before DOOM, so I'm counting Blazkowicz out)
Level 5 (Layton or Jinbanyan)
Team Shanghai Allice (Touhou)
Arc System (Ragna, Sol, River City, or Double Dragon)
Marvelous (Story of Seasons or Rune Factory)
Take-Two (Imagine the reaction CJ would get)
Valve (Chell and Heavy haven't been deconfirmed yet, right?)
Spike? I don't even know. (Get hyped for Junpei, boys)

Let's bet on who's getting "deconfirmed" next. I bet Vergeben will say Level 5, Arc System, and Spike are out before Sabi says Tales of is in.
I feel stupid for not mentioning Disney (Sora) and Level 5 (Layton.)
I'm not going to repeat myself regarding Marvelous and Arc System Works.

Don’t tell me I’m going to have to re-explain leakers. Please. Lmao.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The problem with all of these so called theories is that they fall apart quicker than you think.

>Earthquake Theory

oh dear God I like to pretend that never happened

it was downright disrespectful, ppl DIED and they were making it about Smash speculation like why

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Something i'll never understand.

Although 1st party characters are hype (e.g. Astral Chain), I wouldn't hype up anybody to that extent, let alone Waluigi.
Even though I'm not a huge Waluigi fan personally, the waves his announcement would create would eclipse most characters. Dude's got a huge fanbase, even if a good chunk of it is from memes.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If I had a GameFaqs account I would be posting things like "well I guess FP5 is for sure X or from X series" in order to bait Vergeben. Or at least, I would try it lol

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Even though I'm not a huge Waluigi fan personally, the waves his announcement would create would eclipse most characters. Dude's got a huge fanbase, even if a good chunk of it is from memes.
Waluigi would immediately suffer from the Ridley problem.

People meme his inclusion to hell and back, he gets in, everyone pops off because HOLY **** THE MEMES CAME TRUE SAKURAI BASED GOD, and then he'd be released and very few people would actually care enough to play him beyond the few times it would take to craft a Waluigi highlight reel for those good YouTube views.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Waluigi would also prove that Assist Trophies are not a hard deconfirm, opening up the doors for other characters like Isaac and Krystal. A Waluigi DLC reveal would make waves just based on that alone.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

Let's also not forget how quickly BLOG theory ended up blowing up in our faces, especially when people were trying to fit it with the Grinch leak at the time. Look at how WELL that whole theory ended!

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

People meme his inclusion to hell and back, he gets in, everyone pops off because HOLY **** THE MEMES CAME TRUE SAKURAI BASED GOD, and then he'd be released and very few people would actually care enough to play him beyond the few times it would take to craft a Waluigi highlight reel for those good YouTube views.
This is literally every character ever.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Isn't that the way most Smash reveals go though? Everyone gets extremely hype over them for a few months then they just sort of get taken for granted? I mean, it's happened with major additions like Sonic and Cloud, so it basically happens to everyone. No character holds their luster forever.

Last edited:

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This is literally every character ever.
True, but it's particularly pronounced with characters that have such widespread "support" in the Smash community, such as Ridley and Waluigi.

I'm not denying the passion of legitimate supporters of the two, but a good chunk of their fanbase was people going along with it for the meme.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to Vergeben's deconfirmations. Sure he's quashed ones based on rumours, like Gordon or Ryu or Geno or Doom Slayer (though I don't believe he was first to the punch on most of those), but just as easily he's deconfirmed entities that have hardly been at the centre of attention, like Scorpion, Nippon Ichi, Ubisoft or Falcom.

Plus, you could try to bait Vergeben, but I mean... it's GameFAQs... I'm sure that place has a new thread every few minutes trying to pry more info outta him. That place is lawless, lol.

So basically, just... good luck. Remember he only knows what is told to him, and is less intent on leveraging it for attention than Sabi. Though that's not really saying much.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
True, but it's particularly pronounced with characters that have such widespread "support" in the Smash community, such as Ridley and Waluigi.

I'm not denying the passion of legitimate supporters of the two, but a good chunk of their fanbase was people going along with it for the meme.
But it's the exact same thing that happened with Sonic, Cloud, Banjo, K Rool, the return of Snake and Ice Climbers.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Frankly, I’d assume any character in Smash in a non-playable role is disconfirmed as playable. Until it happens, that is.

Like, if it happens then yeah it’s possible. Thus far, no pass has had overlapping material.

Could it happen? Sure. Should it be expected? I’d say not yet.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I’m ecstatic that Ridley is in the game and even play him a lot, but since he’s already in what can people really say that hasn’t already been said about him? That's kind of why he falls from the discussion. People are a lot less loud when they’re content.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

What theories?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Isn't that the way most Smash reveals go though? Everyone gets extremely hype over them for a few months then they just sort of get taken for granted? I mean, it's happened with major additions like Sonic and Cloud, so it basically happens to everyone. No character holds their luster forever.
I don't think people take Sonic for granted, it's just that he has lackluster presentation.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

I'd guess this happens because the main point of being super vocal is to have your character included in the game. After they're announced the goal of pushing for them is over with so naturally they're going to cool off a bit, and once they're released then there's really not that much to buzz about for the next few days because it's over. You've seen the reveal, you've seen the moveset, stages, music, and spirits, and eventually they start to blend in because Smash has like 80 characters in it.

There's not a lot of rhyme or reason to Vergeben's deconfirmations. Sure he's quashed ones based on rumours, like Gordon or Ryu or Geno or Doom Slayer (though I don't believe he was first to the punch on most of those), but just as easily he's deconfirmed entities that have hardly been at the centre of attention, like Scorpion, Nippon Ichi, Ubisoft or Falcom.

Plus, you could try to bait Vergeben, but I mean... it's GameFAQs... I'm sure that place has a new thread every few minutes trying to pry more info outta him. That place is lawless, lol.

So basically, just... good luck. Remember he only knows what is told to him, and is less intent on leveraging it for attention than Sabi. Though that's not really saying much.
Was thinking about this a bit earlier. Maybe he has multiple sources in different places that he's hearing back from at different times? That's all I got. Would explain some of the weird ones like Nippon and Falcom who nobody was really asking for or speculating about.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Remember guys, if you get what you wanted after years of campaigning, don't be content and silent; instead, become even more loud and obnoxious so people don't think you're a fake fan. If Elma gets in you lot will NEVER hear the end of it.

D

Deleted member

Kinda unrealistic to expect conversation for a character to go on forever, since when said character comes out or is revealed there's really not much more to talk about is there? After the initial period of hype the people who were in it only for speculation and/or memes move on and the people who are actually interested in/rooting for that character are content and end up congregating elsewhere.
This has happened with literally every reveal since Brawl, no matter how big or small the fanbase or speculation for that character is.

D

Deleted member

So I just got back from my morning classes and...umm...any news from Sabi about Lloyd?

The list just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So I just got back from my morning classes and...umm...any news from Sabi about Lloyd?

The list just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
No news about Lloyd, but Verge did say that an Ubisoft character won't be Fighter 5.

D

Deleted member

Just to hit the breaks on the recent news, Koei-Tecmo has announced 2 games collaborating with Atelier Ryza, those being Dead or Alive 6 VIA costumes and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 (which, I have no idea how a relaxing, slice of life game would mix with a war simulation game).

This doesn't mean Ryza might be in FP5 since the game is still too new to possibly be next and it's Koei-Tecmo doing crossovers with their own IPs, but I thought I'd bring it up anyways cause why not.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Isn't it a joint ownership though? If so then he's from both, and can still be considered a SquareEnix character.
It's a rather complicated relationship, essentially, Disney owns the character bit whenever they want to use him or any Kingdom hearts characters they always discuss it with Square because Square created the characters and they have some agreement that the characters have to follow the vision made by Square.

So Square would have to be present for Sora negotiations.

Don't worry, Lloyd ain't in.

'Cause it's gonna be Yuri time.

This purely because Vesperia has better music than Symphonia.

D

Deleted member

Okay, okay. Interesting cases, I see.

Bamco has some of the best leak police out here. No wonder Sabi's taking more time to decode the Lloyd rumors than the time it takes for SM to give f(x) a comeback.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm super surprised about it not being Ezio. Maybe Phoenix really does have a shot...or Sora. Or Lloyd/Velvet. Or Heihachi. Things are coming up Fly.

Last edited:

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Kinda unrealistic to expect conversation for a character to go on forever, since when said character comes out or is revealed there's really not much more to talk about is there? After the initial period of hype the people who were in it only for speculation and/or memes move on and the people who are actually interested in/rooting for that character are content and end up congregating elsewhere.
This has happened with literally every reveal since Brawl, no matter how big or small the fanbase or speculation for that character is.
My argument was more that I rarely hear about anyone actually playing him in my communities, but I see your point.

Regardless, the main point of my argument was that Waluigi would probably not be a very hype reveal, or if he was, the hype would be for meme reasons, mostly.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
This purely because Vesperia has better music than Symphonia.
The irony of this comment is so strong.
Okay, okay. Interesting cases, I see.

Bamco has some of the best leak police out here. No wonder Sabi's taking more time to decode the Lloyd rumors than the time it takes for SM to give f(x) a comeback.
How we got the mecha girl leak is so bizarre and unexpected.

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
On another matter, I'm surprised we haven't heard about Sabi and/or Verge asking about some other big names being tossed around right now.

Sabi asked her source about Lloyd, but that's about it. There are a lot of other frontrunners right now, and I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about them from the leakers.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's a rather complicated relationship, essentially, Disney owns the character bit whenever they want to use him or any Kingdom hearts characters they always discuss it with Square because Square created the characters and they have some agreement that the characters have to follow the vision made by Square.

So Square would have to be present for Sora negotiations.
So he's 100% a Disney character but SquareEnix still has to give the ok for his usage in anything? Odd but ok.

My argument was more that I rarely hear about anyone actually playing him in my communities, but I see your point.
Another thing that could cause this is the fact that Ridly's not that great in this game. He's not unfun like some of the other bottom tiers are but he's not going to have a presence in the tournament scene any time soon.

Last edited:

Hinata

Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Another thing that could cause this is the fact that Ridly's not that great in this game. He's not unfun like some of the other bottom tiers are but he's not going to tear up the tournament scene or anything.
True. I will admit I have a different perspective on the matter, considering I play characters I enjoy regardless of viability.

But Ridley sure as hell ain't makin' any headlines in the tournament scene, so I can understand that.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I'll just say this in regards as to the way people are going about this search for the identity of Fighter #5.

I find it incredibly funny that people are looking through all of these companies, and not a single person has questioned if a Konami character is in the Fighter's Pass.

I realize that Bamco is looking increasingly more likely, but I feel like someone like Bill Ryzer from Contra is being heavily slept on for Ultimate DLC, and some people kind of just skip over Konami entirely.

Maybe that's just me, but the way that people just pass over Konami reminds me of how not a lot of people brought up SNK for the Fighter's Pass.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
he's 100% a Disney character but SquareEnix still has to give the ok for his usage in anything? Odd but ok.
It's called a gentleman Rules.
KH is Nomura's baby, even if KH IS 100% Disney, You wouldn't want to ruins years of relationship by suddenly betraying the company that developed those games and created that licence for you-

And from what everyone could gather from interviews, anythiiiing related to Sora pass by Nomura's greenlight as out of all of the Characters he created, he's his "baby"-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom