• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'll just say this in regards as to the way people are going about this search for the identity of Fighter #5.

I find it incredibly funny that people are looking through all of these companies, and not a single person has questioned if a Konami character is in the Fighter's Pass.

I realize that Bamco is looking increasingly more likely, but I feel like someone like Bill Ryzer from Contra is being heavily slept on for Ultimate DLC, and some people kind of just skip over Konami entirely.

Maybe that's just me, but the way that people just pass over Konami reminds me of how not a lot of people brought up SNK for the Fighter's Pass.
Konami is likely being passed over because they already have a huge presence in the base game, with not only Snake and Metal Gear content coming back, but also the addition of Simon, Richter, and Castlevania content.

D

Deleted member

My argument was more that I rarely hear about anyone actually playing him in my communities, but I see your point.

Regardless, the main point of my argument was that Waluigi would probably not be a very hype reveal, or if he was, the hype would be for meme reasons, mostly.
His reveal could end up just being fueled by memes but we can't really prove that it absolutely would be. Maybe people hopped on the bandwagon only to start unironically supporting him, maybe his fanbase is really that large and the people in it for the meme are the minority. Unless you poll every Waluigi supporter on the planet wether they're doing it ironically or unironically you can't say for certain Waluigi wouldn't be a hype reveal.

Droodle

Smash Lord
On another matter, I'm surprised we haven't heard about Sabi and/or Verge asking about some other big names being tossed around right now.

Sabi asked her source about Lloyd, but that's about it. There are a lot of other frontrunners right now, and I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about them from the leakers.
Like what? Pretty much all the decently talked about frontrunners have been disconfirmed for character 5. The only frontrunners that hasn't been disconfirmed is a Bandai Namco character, Phoenix Wright, Sora, and Reimu. So unless we end up getting Dovahkiin as character 5 along with the Cacodemon costume, pretty much all the big characters are hinted to not be in as character 5.

In terms of Bandai-Namco, we have:
-Lloyd/Yuri
-Tekken rep
-KOS-MOS
-Nightmare
-Agumon
-Chosen Undead

All in the running for a possible rep, with Lloyd/Yuri being considered incredibly likely by most people. And Verge/Sabi haven't disconfirmed any of them.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Whoever the next character is, there are going to be a ton of memes around them like everyone else. Might be a good idea to set up meme folders for each of the candidates.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Like what? Pretty much all the decently talked about frontrunners have been disconfirmed for character 5. The only frontrunners that hasn't been disconfirmed is a Bandai Namco character, Phoenix Wright, Sora, and Reimu. So unless we end up getting Dovahkiin as character 5 along with the Cacodemon costume, pretty much all the big characters are hinted to not be in as character 5.

-Lloyd/Yuri
-Tekken rep
-KOS-MOS
-Nightmare
-Agumon
-Chosen Undead

All in the running for a possible rep, with Lloyd/Yuri being considered incredibly likely by most people. And Verge/Sabi haven't disconfirmed any of them.
I'm actually starting to wonder if DLC 5 is Dovahkiin. Bethesda isn't out of the running yet and Skyrim was pretty popular in the west, so a VGA reveal would make sense. Might replace the recently fallen Ezio on my most likely list.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
-Lloyd/Yuri
-Tekken rep
-KOS-MOS
-Nightmare
-Agumon
-Chosen Undead

Worship not these false idols.

She is all we need:
1574912254137.png

But honestly, if it ends up being Lloyd at this point, it's going to be like playing a game of "Guess what's for breakfast!" where the answer ends up being "Corn Flakes". >_>

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh **** Ezio's dead.

I was gonna say things have been going way too fast, but then again I was just watching The Irishman so I wouldn't be surprised if it was already the Game Awards.
The real fighter #5 is Shark Tale.

Just a DVD copy of Shark Tale, sitting in an office chair.
Hey, how'd you get into my office!?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
True. I will admit I have a different perspective on the matter, considering I play characters I enjoy regardless of viability.

But Ridley sure as hell ain't makin' any headlines in the tournament scene, so I can understand that.
Same (My top ten most played characters are Simon, King K. Rool, Joker, Ridley, Mii Swordfighter, Hero, Mii Brawler, Wolf, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant), but I think a lot of a character's popularity in the series as a whole is usually heavily influenced by their viability. e.g. Sheik.

EDIT: I feel like stating that my top 10 list goes from 10-1; I currently play Piranha Plant most often.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Imagine if character pass 5 is another final fantasy game.

It wouldn't even be a lie because it still falls under new worlds

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I have confidence in Lloyd/Tales. I've seen Lloyd topics popped up on Gamefaqs a lot during the bloodbath season and yet Vergeben's only related comment so far about Tales was about which games to play in the series.

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
Tales is basically the only majorly speculated series that hasn't been deconfirmed for Fighter Pass #5

So it's either that or a surprise pick like Terry (as far as speculation is concerned). Or Verge and Sabi are wrong.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'll just say this in regards as to the way people are going about this search for the identity of Fighter #5.

I find it incredibly funny that people are looking through all of these companies, and not a single person has questioned if a Konami character is in the Fighter's Pass.

I realize that Bamco is looking increasingly more likely, but I feel like someone like Bill Ryzer from Contra is being heavily slept on for Ultimate DLC, and some people kind of just skip over Konami entirely.

Maybe that's just me, but the way that people just pass over Konami reminds me of how not a lot of people brought up SNK for the Fighter's Pass.
honestly, I've been thinking Contra has been pretty slept on too. It was a huge iconic series on the NES much like Castlevania or Ninja gaiden (not in Smash of course, but Ryu was still someone that people have speculated over to death unlike Bill Rizer), Contra has had various games between multiple Nintendo and non-Nintendo systems, It has been a pretty influencial series, with how mnay games probably took some inspiration from it, and how it gave birth to the Konami code. Also important to note, is that Contra has been relevant to the Switch with stuff like the COntra collection and that new Contra game released on the system.

While Konami already has alot of content in Smash, the characters in the game they did include or bring back were all in base, not DLC, so if we are going with the idea that "a company only gets 1 character for the pass", then Contra isn't out of the running, much like SE still had Hero in the DLC despite them bringing back Cloud in the base roster.

Not saying Contra is likely or anything, but I wouldn't discount it either.

Speaking of SE, another series I'm surprised hasn't gotten a bit more discussion is the Mana series. Secret of Mana is generally put alongside the SNES greats (SMRPG, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound...), and like Contra, Mana has made a presence on the Switch with the Mana collection and the Trials of mana remake in the works right now.

Granted, I don't really expect a Mana character to come in, especially if we do go with the "a company only gets 1 character for the pass" idea (personally I don't know if I'm 100% on board with it, but it's remained true thus far, so...). But hey, if people can still bring up 2B, then why not atleast toss the Mana series in the ring too I guess...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
His soul was claimed before the pass was a thing.
Lloyd's Mii Costume in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U does not disconfirm him for DLC in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's like saying James Bond is disconfirmed because the Cloaking Device was an item in Super Smash Bros. Melee. And yes I know James Bond is ineligible because he's not a video game character but my point still stands.

Tales is basically the only majorly speculated series that hasn't been deconfirmed for Fighter Pass #5
1574913285100.png

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Lloyd's Mii Costume in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U does not disconfirm him for DLC in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It's like saying James Bond is disconfirmed because the Cloaking Device was an item in Super Smash Bros. Melee. And yes I know James Bond is ineligible because he's not a video game character but my point still stands.

View attachment 248466

Don't speak his name. I hear the shotgun being loaded again.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Has anyone said anything about Arle Nadja from Puyp Puyo? Almost every prominent fighter being shot down and her still standing catches my interest. I've had a feeling it might be her for awhile, it would explain some oddities, like why Puyo Puyo is on the US SNES online.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I don't think it's Lloyd because it's too obvious. Nintendo literally paved the road to have Lloyd enter the speculation cycle and with everyone and their mother saying "Lloyd's the next one" I don't see how keeping fighter 5 a secret is protecting anyone considering there's a huge out in plausible deniability. On that same token, Lloyd is a perfect smokescreen since as long as he remains on the table it keeps information about the actual 5th character on the DL.

I consider this whole situation weird and I really don't think it's Lloyd.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

I mean, Bond(or someone representing him) almost got in Melee anyways so...

D

Deleted member

I don't think it's Lloyd because it's too obvious. Nintendo literally paved the road to have Lloyd enter the speculation cycle and with everyone and their mother saying "Lloyd's the next one" I don't see how keeping fighter 5 a secret is protecting anyone considering there's a huge out in plausible deniability. On that same token, Lloyd is a perfect smokescreen since as long as he remains on the table it keeps information about the actual 5th character on the DL.

I don't think a character being "obvious" works against them in any way, otherwise we wouldn't have Isabelle, Incineroar, Ken, Hero or Banjo

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I don't think a character being "obvious" works against them in any way, otherwise we wouldn't have Isabelle, Incineroar, Ken, Hero or Banjo
Or Inklings, the one character literally everyone agreed would be in Smash before Ultimate's first trailer was even a thing.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Have you guys talked about the Stardew Valley protag?

Sakurai seems(seemed) to like(have liked) the game.

BlackInk

Smash Lord

I’m pretty sure another male anime sword protagonist is also too much in this fighter’s pass in terms of representation. Characters like Kosmos make more sense because they’re unique.

D

Deleted member

The only obvious character on this list is Ken.
Isabelle has been the face of AC since New Leaf, Incin was an open secret among insiders for months and we always get a new Pokemon, Hero was rumored for nearly a year before his official reveal and was datamined when Plant came, and Banjo was the obvious Microsoft pick after Steve/Minecraft talk started to lean more towards meaning nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Calling Hero obvious is absolute hindsight. Hero became obvious after leaks and a datamine. As a DQ supporter since the early days of Smash Wii U discussion, there were plenty of people saying it wouldn't happen even during the time Hero was rumored. I'd argue calling Banjo obvious is bull**** too considering Steve was the front runner for Microsoft since last August up until a week before Banjo's reveal.

Isabelle may have been obvious, but she was pegged as an Echo, not unique. A Unique Isabelle was absolutely not an obvious guess.

Incineroar was not obvious prior to leaks, that honor would go to Decidueye.

The only one I'll give you is Ken, but all of the Echoes were obvious and there's a big difference between an Echo and a Unique.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wouldn't exactly call Lloyd obvious, would the majority of the audience know him? It'd probably be a Terry situation (except hopefully with less or no vitriol), even if he's still decently known or well-known in certain areas.

And, really, I don't see what's so obvious about him regardless, it's not like there's not any other Namco characters or others they could go with as well.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I wouldn't exactly call Lloyd obvious, would the majority of the audience know him? It'd probably be a Terry situation (except hopefully with less or no vitriol), even if he's still decently known or well-known in certain areas.

And, really, I don't see what's so obvious about him regardless, it's not like there's not any other Namco characters or others they could go with as well.
I'm mainly talking about the Smash Bubble. A bubble that is almost universally wrong about most things if leaks aren't there to guide them.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Tales of Symphonia sold pretty well, it even got a sequel, and has had 15 to grow its legacy, not to mention being a highly demanded character who even got a Mii Costume last time around.

Lloyd won't get literally who'd, I can assure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom