• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna hold my breath since Terry didn't come with Capcom vs. SNK music... but if Phoenix Wright gets in, I hope his music selection includes his two themes from Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I wonder what other 3rd party series might be turned into spirit events? It’s crazy to think series can get disconfirmed out of the blue like this, kind of reminds me of the ol’ Brawl Dojo and Pic of the Day.

Droodle

Smash Lord
Sans is plenty important, as are all of the other characters in Undertale. However, while it may not be an ironclad rule, Smash has always been heavily biased towards protagonists as a franchises' first rep. The main exceptions are Pokemon (kind of a special case, Pokemon Trainer wouldn't have worked on N64), and games that literally don't have protagonists in any meaningful sense (such as Wii Fit). For example, the blank-slate Villager got in before Isabelle did, despite being nothing more than a player avatar and not the real draw of the game (aka, the various animal villagers and NPCs to talk to).
I would say being the "face" of the franchise is definitely more important relevant then being the main protagonist, Cloud is the "face" of Final Fantasy, Ryu is the "face" of Street Fighter. Obviously, most of the time the "face" is just the main character of the game.

However, there are certain cases like Sans; where a major character is much more recognizable then the main character. And even then, Smash tends to focus on getting them in first.

Both Pikachu and Mewtwo got in long before Red. Elma is much more requested then the "protagonist" from Xenoblade X. KOS-MOS is much more requested then Shion. Even besides that you have trophies like Rathalos that got in before Monster Hunter.

So yes, I think having the biggest character from Undertale represented in Smash as a DLC mii costume pretty much deconfirms any Undertale character.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I wonder what other 3rd party series might be turned into spirit events? It’s crazy to think series can get disconfirmed out of the blue like this, kind of reminds me of the ol’ Brawl Dojo and Pic of the Day.
Sora, Donald and Goofy, now available on the spirit board.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
-If Spirits do deconfirm, then Porky has a high chance of being a post Pass character due to being the only major Earthbound/Mother character to have no Spirits at all when they did the anniversary event.
I don't see why they'd pick Porky over literally just about any other Mother character..is anyone really clamoring to play as Porky?
Its not like its unlike Sakurai to leave out an important character..Diddy Kong was left out of Melee's trophies while Dixie & K. Rool both got ones.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
It's the Assist Trophy Massacre/Chopping Block all over again. Those were tense times.

Tense, heartbreaking times

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I don't see why they'd pick Porky over literally just about any other Mother character..is anyone really clamoring to play as Porky?
Its not like its unlike Sakurai to leave out an important character..Diddy Kong was left out of Melee's trophies while Dixie & K. Rool both got ones.
“why would they chose a main villain over side characters?”

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Does Sans even fully deconfirm Undertale? Popular as he may be, he's only a side character.
Kinda... Nothing is deconfirmed but getting a costume and music located in the "Other" section of My Music all at once doesn't help. Think about it. The only time when we get DLC music is when it comes with a fighter. Sans might be it.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If the next DLC fighter is from Capcom then I believe it's a 50/50 chance of it being either Monster Hunter or Phoenix Wright.
And *I* believe it's a 100% chance of being Arthur!

It didn't mention Claire, the other protagonist of Resident Evil 2.
Nor did it mention Nemesis, the main villain of Resident Evil 3 and one of the more recognizable monsters from the series (who's also made crossover appearances in other games like Marvel vs. Capcom and Project X Zone).

It's entirely possible Fighter 5 is still a Resident Evil character, just not the ones we thought were the most likely.
Except if they were planning to release an RE character, they would have released those spirits WITH the character.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Phew what an eventful day. Lot of stuff happened.
  • Dante being suddenly heavily rumored because of the DMC3 switch port, only to be deconfirmed for FP #5
  • Vergeben deconfirming an entire company (Nippon Ichi Software) for FP #5
  • Resident Evil rep chances absolutely plummeted due to the surprise spirit board event. None of us expected this.
  • Many of us nervously wandering who is next on the chopping block.
What we experienced the past few days is basically an equivalent to the Hunger Games, where the real FP #5 is the winner. If today was of any indication, then we're in for a wild ride for the next few weeks.

D

Deleted member

• Dante being suddenly heavily rumored because of the DMC3 switch port, only to be deconfirmed for FP #5
  • Resident Evil rep chances absolutely plummeted due to the surprise spirit board event. None of us expected this.
What we experienced the past few days is basically an equivalent to the Hunger Games, where the real FP #5 is the winner. If today was of any indication, then we're in for a wild ride for the next few weeks.
Smash spec doesn't want me to study for finals XD

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
I would say being the "face" of the franchise is definitely more important relevant then being the main protagonist, Cloud is the "face" of Final Fantasy, Ryu is the "face" of Street Fighter. Obviously, most of the time the "face" is just the main character of the game.

However, there are certain cases like Sans; where a major character is much more recognizable then the main character. And even then, Smash tends to focus on getting them in first.

Both Pikachu and Mewtwo got in long before Red. Elma is much more requested then the "protagonist" from Xenoblade X. KOS-MOS is much more requested then Shion. Even besides that you have trophies like Rathalos that got in before Monster Hunter.

So yes, I think having the biggest character from Undertale represented in Smash as a DLC mii costume pretty much deconfirms any Undertale character.
I already adressed Pokemon Trainer not being possible in older versions of Smash. Also, last time I checked, Elma and KOS-MOS aren't playable characters currently, so fan demand doesn't mean anything if it doesn't currently have actual results. Whether our whims get catered to is entirely up to Nintendo and Sakurai's own whims.

The internet at large very much treats Sans as "the face of the game," yes. However, Undertale's official marketing material doesn't treat Sans as especially more important than Papyrus, Toriel, or Flowey as "mascots" of the franchise. If any character other than Frisk got in, I could easily see it being one of the three I just listed. Especially since they all fight in neutral and pacifist routes, wheras Sans is heavily associated with the darkest route in the game at this point, and will literally only fight under those circumstances.

The main reason I think the human might be more likely than the others I listed, other than the Protagonist Trend, is simply that they could probably have the broadest potential to represent multiple game mechanics and parts of the game in a single character, and so could have a lot more creative moveset potential than "the skeleton has bones and lasers" or "the goat uses fire."

Kokiden

Smash Ace
DMC3 port to the Switch? Yes! It's one of my fav games. That's excellent.

Might I ask who deconfirmed Dante? Or why he's considered deconfirmed? The only place where I follow leaks and character speculations is on here, so I'm out of the loop generally speaking.

I quite like Dante so that's a shame if true.

If that's the case... higher chance for 2B now? Lol

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Smash speculation is the equivalent of a game of Guess Who?.

Except the other player always cheats

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
*Me and everyone in the Porky thread are writing*

-well, he is one of the two main villains in the series.
Really? Well, I mean, I knew he was a primary villain, I just always hated him and assumed most people did and would rather have Kumatora or even Mother 1 Giygas.
“why would they chose a main villain over side characters?”
I just mean that I never really see anyone clamoring for Porky and never really considered him to be that popular a character in the overall series.
I also don't really know how well he'd be implemented into a playable form considering he really only fights in a semi-large machine.

Last edited:

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman

Might I ask who deconfirmed Dante? Or why he's considered deconfirmed? The only place where I follow leaks and character speculations is on here, so I'm out of the loop generally speaking.

Sabi's NoA source deconfirmed Dante for the FP #5 slot. He can still come later. This was mentioned on PapaGenos's discord. Basically Dante was not one of the characters Sabi's NoA source was hearing for this particular slot. The picture of the discord post about the deconfirmation is from a few pages back.

That being said, I'm really looking forward to playing DMC3 on the switch in a few months.

Droodle

Smash Lord

Basically Sabi was like "Dante might be in Smash", and then walked back on that. So Dante isn't "deconfirmed" to say, but rather most people think he's unlikely for FP 5 now. He still looks pretty darn likely.

In fact, you could say his chances for getting in have increased because RE was pretty much officially deconfirmed. So now Dante's competition is pretty much Phoenix Wright and Amaterasu (who is unlikely compared to the other 2), or no Capcom rep at all.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Really? Well, I mean, I knew he was a primary villain, I just always hated him and assumed most people did and would rather have Kumatora or even Mother 1 Giygas.

I just mean that I never really see anyone clamoring for Porky and never really considered him to be that popular a character in the overall series.
I also don't really know how well he'd be implemented into a playable form considering he really only fights in a semi-large machine.
I’d also like Giygas and Ninten, and others as well, but I’d like these three the most tbh before the others. Just imo.

Porky seems to have a lot of popularity in some places; he may be evil, but somehow he’s also lovable (imo) despite the horrible stuff he did in the games. I guess it’s a similar case for Ridley.

I think he could work fighting in his mech, maybe his EarthBound one; they may have to shrink it a tad bit, but it should only be around Bowser’s or Ridley’s size even with him in it, anyway.

Seeing as 3rd party series are getting spirit events now, I wonder if Minecraft might get one. Might explain vergeben’s “Minecraft content” claim.
Minecraft spirits:

Pros:

-Yay, one of my favorite games has representation!

Cons:

-No Steve fighter makes me ready for depression, just like SpongeBob

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I just heard the news about RE Spirits. I am very sorry for your loss. If you ever wanna talk I'm here for you man. :)

Being serious, third party spirits bring an interesting new dimension to speculation. Here's to hoping Kingdom Hearts Spirits don't pop up anytime soon.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I'm going to be busy with holiday s*** so when I return to this on Saturday, I'm going to need a recap of every crushed dream between now and then. Thanks. Bye.

CHRIS NOOOOOOOO MY BABY BOI
"Kirbsmash, No."

"Kirbsmash, YES!"

"All I've seen the last few months...the last two nights...has challenged everything I ever believed in. It all comes down to one thing. Disconfirmations. She was wrong. Brotham needs the Fatman."

―Detective Ellen Yin Ellie Yang

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
From the Geno thread, any opinions on this?
He’s speculating based off stuff insiders said in their discord; he has access to their discord thanks to Sabi. He’s not a leaker, and he says what he’s saying shouldn’t be taken as 100%.

Let’s please not start this again, no one here ever reads his posts and people tend to be rude.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord
Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones I just heard the news about RE Spirits. I am very sorry for your loss. If you ever wanna talk I'm here for you man. :)

Being serious, third party spirits bring an interesting new dimension to speculation. Here's to hoping Kingdom Hearts Spirits don't pop up anytime soon.
Kingdom Hearts is a series that can ONLY get in Smash as a fighter and nothing else. I think there is a 0% chance that Sakurai goes to Disney in order to just get some KH spirits/costumes in the game, I'm pretty sure even Sakurai/Nintendo know what a huge storm that would cause.

So either we get a KH character along with spirits/costumes, or we get nothing at all. Again, Sora showcases why he is simultaneously both the most likely and least likely DLC character at once.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
From the Geno thread, any opinions on this?
It's Fatman, so it can be tossed in the garbage.

Bare in mind this is a complete contradiction to what he said last week, which was that there were 4 names all from different companies that shared something in common.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

What Spirits? Mickey, Donald, and Goofy?
I really hate to be negative to Sora fans, but Sora will NEVER be in Smash.
He's in the same category as characters like Android 21. She's a video game original character, but she's part of the Dragon Ball series, which is not a video game series and is therefore ineligible for Smash.
Sora is an original video game character, but he's part of the Mickey Mouse franchise, which is not originally from a video game, so everyone in that series is ineligible for Smash.

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
At least I won’t have to worry about Kingdom Hearts going through this, cuz people would riot and there would be BLOOD SPILLED! Like a LOT of blood, like it would be EVERYWHERE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom