• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yep, but also... it's totally conceivable that it could've wound up with absolutely nothing. It's not like a Nintendo series where if you aren't one thing you'll probably be another. With third-parties, especially those without prior involvement, it's entirely possible you'll just be nothing.

That won't mitigate disappointment, but at least for me it sets the floor for expectations pretty low.
I mean, of course not. Nothing is guaranteed a spot in Smash and I know that very well. It's just Resident Evil is literally the biggest Japanese franchise missing from Smash (speaking in sales) by 40 million copies and competes against the big dogs in Smash better than most with a legacy that directly influences its own genre in the survival horror arena. It's just always going to feel incredibly absent from a playable perspective given that in my mind. Playable characters aren't everything of course, and I don't think sales should obviously ever guarantee anything, but Resident Evil was just really such a beloved series with such a profound impact. I hoped for some better treatment at the end of the day, even a Mii costume would have been better.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Would be pretty hype if my main in Tekken 7 Kazuya got announced as FP5 at the TWT December 7th...

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Also, I apologize if this has already been discussed, but quick question: have we ever received third-party spirits like this? Heck, have we ever received third-party spirits outside of DLC ever? I mean I guess we got Tetris spirits, but no one ever (seriously) thought the tetraminos were going to be playable.
Daemon X Machina.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Wow...RE getting deconfirmed was unexpected. I never thought a RE rep was going to be playable, but that's got to sting for some of you.

Also, I apologize if this has already been discussed, but quick question: have we ever received third-party spirits like this? Heck, have we ever received third-party spirits outside of DLC ever? I mean I guess we got Tetris spirits, but no one ever (seriously) thought the tetraminos were going to be playable.

This seems kind of out of place. I feel like there must be a reason for this. Is there a RE Couple that with the Dante rumors and then their immediate demise...I'm feeling a shift in the wind. I was on the Bamco train, but now I'm leaning team Capcom.
Daemon X Machina. Technically, the IP is Marvelous'

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Mmm...I just changed my mind again. I'm back on the Bamco wagon. However, I still hold my position regarding the weirdness of this seemingly random announcement.

Also, what if the list of deconfirmed characters by Vergeben was the next fighter pass?

- Scorpion
- Doomguy
- Geno
- Hayabusa
- Gordon Freeman

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
IKR IKR.

It's just that...ever since Hero didn't get female alts, I'm pretty much mixed with MH.
Hero probably didn't get his female alts because he's owned by Square, who are super-protective of the Dragon Quest Heroes' likenesses, and likely wary of how they're handled in other games. If Sakurai could, he'd likely put in Female Erdrick and Sofia.

Monster Hunter likely wouldn't have that same problem since they're owned by Capcom, who seem to be more lax.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
IKR IKR.

It's just that...ever since Hero didn't get female alts, I'm pretty much mixed with MH.
Hero is a separate issue. MH is a customizable avatar whose gender you can choose, they're not going to include only one gender when putting MH in Smash. Likewise we won't have only the Rathalos armor as a skin, they'll add different popular monster armor skins.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I don't know why, but I feel like Fighter #5 was probably guessed by a lot of people already. It could be for the sake of keeping #5 as a surprise, or it could just be one elaborate troll job but really there's just this gut feeling that someone, or multiple people here were right on the money. Perhaps the "deconfirm" list is a hoax.

What this all reminds me of that one time around the end of November 2015 where RogersBase iirc was playing around with the fanbase, claiming that he knew the DLC character only for him to not know it at all. I know that Sabi and Verge are pretty legitimate but there have been times leakers have been completely wrong. Just to keep in mind.

Although as far as RE is concerned, that's most likely dead... rip.

D

Deleted member

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Reminder that Fatman is speculating like all of us and has said in the past to not take his posts as truth. The difference is that he speculates based on things he sees from insiders, but that's it. Saying it rn before people start flinging mud in his direction for no reason.

Boy, this is such a weird turn of events... who else has a chance for CP5 on the Capcom side? There's Amaterasu, Arthur, Joe and Morrigan, but tbh I never saw them as likely except for maybe Amaterasu. Hard maybe. So... is Phoenix the prime Capcom candidate rn and Dante is the same, but for season 2?

D

Deleted member

Hero probably didn't get his female alts because he's owned by Square, who are super-protective of the Dragon Quest Heroes' likenesses, and likely wary of how they're handled in other games. If Sakurai could, he'd likely put in Female Erdrick and Sofia.

Monster Hunter likely wouldn't have that same problem since they're owned by Capcom, who seem to be more lax.
Hero was planned to have more alts but only 4 were chosen due to time constraints.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Trademarks mean literally nothing because it's only a sign that it's being renewed, not that it's being used. For example, Nintendo constantly renews trademarks on a bunch of series that probably won't be getting anything in the near future.
And yet, people never learn.

Can't have Smash speculation without people bringing up trademarks.

D

Deleted member

IKR IKR.

The two aren't comparable. Dragon Quest has like over 11 heroes from different games it can choose from. Sakurai would have added more if he had the time.

Monster Hunter only has 2 genders so you're good there. This is like being concerned we wouldn't get the Female Byleth skin for Byleth if he came in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
It not sure how creditable fat man is but he mentioned 3 most likely candidates for the 5th character from his searching

Lloyd
Nightmare
Sol badguy

He said Lloyd is his guess and he said he will explain why later

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
What's a bit amusing about all of this is that this whole #5 speculation has become an extremely big wild goose chase. Just when people see a character or series as "Likely" life comes down with a giant, golden hammer to bring us back to square One.

It's a fun Goose chase but it's something amusing right now.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
What's a bit amusing about all of this is that this whole #5 speculation has become an extremely big wild goose chase. Just when people see a character or series as "Likely" life comes down with a giant, golden hammer to bring us back to square One.

It's a fun Goose chase but it's something amusing right now.
That's why I fear my newfound confidence in Phoenix.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
This is coming from a guy who back in the day didn't think the Square rep would Erdrick or a Dragon Quest character, when we were specualting on "Brave". so take that for what you will. :rolleyes:
He has not.
Agreed

As. A matter of fact there’s a chance sabi cracked it on who it is and refuses to talk about it

And if Vergeben and sabi ain’t talk how could fat man get those names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom