• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's a damn shame that fighting game characters noticeably lack support when it comes to Super Smash.
The joke will be on them when Heihachi and Sol Badguy and Noel Vermillion and uhhh Scorpion and Nakoruru and Kyo Kusanagi and Chun-Li are all future DLC. Get owned nerds

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Does this factor in people who watched the Banjo presentation live after the September 4th Direct?
Yeah, I think there are two factors at hand:
1. People watching the livestream where the Banjo presentation followed immediately after
2. More Smash fans needing to learn who Terry is than Banjo, since "here's some characters who won't be playable" isn't the best introduction. The English version of the Hero presentation has more views than the Japanese one, because all Japan needs is "It's Dragon Quest".

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
It's a damn shame that fighting game characters noticeably lack support when it comes to Super Smash.
Probably a controversial opinion... but I think Smash could use more fighting game characters. Now that we have Street Fighter and The King of Fighters, we should at least also get a Tekken character for the ultimate three-way fighting game crossover. Mortal Kombat and Guilty Gear afterwards would also be great as icing on the cake.

D

Deleted member

Nah, it's because a lot of Banjo fans keep giving **** at other characters for being niche despite Banjo-Kazooie not being exactly a platforming giant itself.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.
I get that, I've never been a huge fan of how the fanbase for Banjo has acted either and I've never denied that the franchise is smaller than the other candidates from Microsoft or the other pass characters, but pointing to **** like view numbers strikes me as kinda petty, y'know? He's in the game now and nothing can really change that.
Just to add I've been a huge fan of all the fighters so far and they all feel like worthwhile additions. I'm not trying to take away from Terry or the other two, just throwing in my two cents in regards to Banjo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
To add to the earlier Assassin's Creed discussion, let's not forget that Nintendo teamed up with Ubisoft to create an entire Mario spin-off game featuring characters from one of Ubisoft's most popular series.

1574712683420.png

No, not a guest appearance or some DLC costume, an entire game. That is nothing to scoff at.

A few other Mario spin-off games I can think of that heavily feature other series are the Mario/Sonic Olympic Games and Fortune Street which prominently features DQ characters. And we all know what became of Sonic and DQ in Smash.

Ubisoft is definitely slept on and when you really think about it, Ezio in Smash just screams TGA reveal.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I get that, I've never been a huge fan of how the fanbase for Banjo has acted either and I've never denied that the franchise is smaller than the other candidates from Microsoft or the other pass characters, but pointing to **** like view numbers strikes me as kinda petty, y'know? He's in the game now and nothing can really change that.
Just to add I've been a huge fan of all the fighters so far and they all feel like worthwhile additions. I'm not trying to take away from Terry or the other two, just throwing in my two cents in regards to Banjo.
Hey man, I only thought it was interesting as a character nobody talked about until they got leaked had more attention than one people always talked about. Just shows that we really do sit in a Smash Bubble as nobody even thought Terry would be all too likely, if even a possibility

D

Deleted member

As much as I love Phoenix and believe in his chances, I'm not sure I'd put him in the running for FP5.

The only thing he has going for him is a random 4chan text leak that just happened to get Terry's presentation date right, while also claiming Phoenix would be FP5.
Hinata, I'm an insider and my sources have told me Phoenix is in. He will come with a courtroom stage, 26 Ace Attorney songs--with 4 remixes, and the mii costumes will consist of Edgeworth, Athena, the judge gown, and Maya plushie.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hinata, I'm an insider and my sources have told me Phoenix is in. He will come with a courtroom stage, 26 Ace Attorney songs--with 4 remixes, and the mii costumes will consist of Edgeworth, Athena, the judge gown, and Maya plushie.
tumblr_ptd8r0ymcY1tabf8t_640.png

She's in, boys.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
To add to the earlier Assassin's Creed discussion, let's not forget that Nintendo teamed up with Ubisoft to create an entire Mario spin-off game featuring characters from one of Ubisoft's most popular series.

View attachment 248040

No, not a guest appearance or some DLC costume, an entire game. That is nothing to scoff at.

A few other Mario spin-off games I can think of that heavily feature other series are the Mario/Sonic Olympic Games and Fortune Street which prominently features DQ characters. And we all know what became of Sonic and DQ in Smash.

Ubisoft is definitely slept on and when you really think about it, Ezio in Smash just screams TGA reveal.
Ezio>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rayman for me.
God I wish this was real

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm surprised that The King of Fighters XIV hasn't been ported to Switch yet. With Terry in Smash making some waves, now would be a good time to do so, and if XV wasn't initially planned for Switch, they're probably making plans for a port of that as well.
If this SNK boardroom pic is anything to go by then a Switch port of XIV may have been planned at some point, but that is from last year and we haven't heard of anything relating to it since.

They definitely have to release XV on Switch when it first releases if they want to capitalize on Terry's appearance in Smash.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I see many people talk about a "hero" style assassins creed rep. Please visit my support page I created a few months ago to support that idea.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
A lot of the Banjo fans were rude, but there were also a lot of nice fans. The same thing can be seen in every other fanbase, so...acting like this doesn’t make y’all any better...

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
If Ezio is FP5 and he comes with a Florence stage, it would be hilarious that you can fight in my real life country and not in freaking Bowser's castle yet.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
If this SNK boardroom pic is anything to go by then a Switch port of XIV may have been planned at some point, but that is from last year and we haven't heard of anything relating to it since.

They definitely have to release XV on Switch when it first releases if they want to capitalize on Terry's appearance in Smash.
I remember seeing that picture and getting excited for The King of Fighters XIV, Samurai Shodown, and possibly a new Metal Slug game to come to the Switch... and so far, all that's come out of it is Samurai Shodown on Switch.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Welp, just a few days left until we know whether or not we might get a December reveal. Still banking on the RE crew to close the Pass.

I can't give any less of a **** than I do now if they're the most niche character, they're in the game and that's all I need
Seems like y'all care way more based on how you're making it into a popularity contest to justify why they're a waste of a character but hey that's just the impression I'm getting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Meanwhile, the """BanjoHive"" is... still celebrating the bear and bird's inclusion lol.

Honestly, I'll never get the need people have to generalize other fanbases. If you hate the way some people behave, then the best you can do is not be like them.

D

Deleted member

Hey man, I only thought it was interesting as a character nobody talked about until they got leaked had more attention than one people always talked about. Just shows that we really do sit in a Smash Bubble as nobody even thought Terry would be all too likely, if even a possibility
Fair enough, I'll drop it
It is cool to see Terry and SNK get more attention though. Someone already brought up KOF XV but I wonder if it'll draw attention to SamSho's Switch release too

blackghost

Smash Champion

View attachment 248040

the game where Nintendo gave mario a gun/gunlike weapon. good times. this was proof nintedo was changing

id welcome more fighting gamw reps but the ones i'd want wouldnt make it in characters like juri, chun-li, hugo, and viper arent gonna be in smash but they'd be way more fun than the shotos (read ken) already are.

i do like that we are getting some more dante support. seeing dante fight bayonetta (please buff) would be awesome.
numberone choice is still lara and sephiroth dante is third though.

if we get an RE rep it will be leon or jill. theres no way it would be chris. leon and jill star in the better games, they have appeared in more media, and both have been on nintendo consoles games (jill had revelations 1 and 2 and leon had ****ing resident evil 4) even outside of smash when cheris was in marvel 3 over leon people werent happy.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most likely first party character / franchise to get a new character?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Comparing cross-language is pretty useless, to be fair, especially given how much bigger the Anglosphere is.
To be fair, I think the point wasn't to make a logically valid argument, but was instead to demonstrate how stats can easily have meanings prescribed to them that really aren't true.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I can't give any less of a **** than I do now if they're the most niche character, they're in the game and that's all I need
Seems like y'all care way more based on how you're making it into a popularity contest to justify why they're a waste of a character but hey that's just the impression I'm getting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
As someone who's played Banjo more than Joker and Hero and got hyped when he was revealed, it was never that deep, King!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Honestly? Fire Emblem, as much as that may upset some people. I'd put Kirby as a close second and Pokemon as a "maybe", but that Sword/Shield spirit event really hurt the chances of that game getting a rep.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
if we get an RE rep it will be leon or jill. theres no way it would be chris. leon and jill star in the better games, they have appeared in more media, and both have been on nintendo consoles games (jill had revelations 1 and 2 and leon had ****ing resident evil 4) even outside of smash when cheris was in marvel 3 over leon people werent happy.
It'll be interesting to see how any negotiations for a Resident Evil character in Smash play out, if they're happening at all.

On one hand, Jill and Leon are fan favorites, both starring in fan favorite titles like Resident Evil 3 and 4, and seem like the most obvious choices. On the other, Capcom seems to really like Chris. He was the main Resident Evil character in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Infinite, he's in both Project X Zone games where he's paired up with Jill, and he both made a cameo in Resident Evil 7 and eventually got his own DLC chapter.

I think Sakurai will try to get either Jill or Leon, Capcom will try to push Chris, and Sakurai will compromise with another Hero-style character (with Claire thrown in as well).

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I think Astral Chain is the closest thing to a lock as far as first party reps go. Not actually a lock by any means, but if we were taking bets I'd put my money there first.
Buuuuut I also thought Spring Man was the most obvious newcomer in the world when Smash for Switch got announced and look how that turned out. :estatic:

Fire Emblem has a good shot, but Sakurai himself was hesitant about adding Corrin because of how many FE characters were already in the game (according to an old Famitsu column).

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
So here's something interesting
**** like this is why I absolutely believe in the Smash Bubble effect
Terry also has 3K more dislikes than Banjo and Kazooie. Given the number of views to dislikes, that's a ratio of 3151:1 for Banjo and Kazooie and 718:1 for Terry. (Views to likes is 26:1 and 43:1, respectively.) That means, overall, the people that watched the Banjo-Kazooie stream are, on average, more pumped about the character than those that watched the Terry stream. More views doesn't mean more liked.

If I were to guess what is happening, based off of this info, I would say a large portion of those views are people thinking "Who the eff is this guy?" (Like me.) Even though Banjo and Kazooie are from a dead franchise and quite niche, Sakurai didn't feel the need to explain why they were in the game like he did for Terry ("Just because a game isn't popular..." or whatever he said).

Second, I guarantee more people watched the Banjo and Kazooie stream live than they did for Terry. I did, so I didn't feel a need to go watch it again. For those not willing to wake up super early for Terry, the video posted afterwards was probably easiest for them. (I'm basing this info off the states since the video is English and that's where one of the biggest markets is for Nintendo.) If BK's reveal was that early, I would bet that the stream's numbers would be higher. (I haven't looked at any other videos, so this is just an assessment made based off of these two videos.)

Ivander

Smash Legend
I whould love somebody from the secret of mana series
Preach. Secret of Mana and Trials of Mana(I played the translated SNES version) were awesome. The original Final Fantasy Adventure/Adventure of Mana, Legend of Mana and Sword of Mana were great too.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly? Fire Emblem, as much as that may upset some people. I'd put Kirby as a close second and Pokemon as a "maybe", but that Sword/Shield spirit event really hurt the chances of that game getting a rep.
Agreed. I think, at this point, that if we aren't getting any promotions, then 3H has the best chances for first party. Dunno about Astral Chain, because it's the first entry for that IP.

D

Deleted member

As someone who's played Banjo more than Joker and Hero and got hyped when he was revealed, it was never that deep, King!
Iunno, it just came off to me as confrontational on the surface.
Ah well, sorry if I was looking into things too deep, carry on then

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
IMO Zelda... Breath of the Wild 2 is on the way and BotW 1 has been a huge success, so maybe a character from one of those two games.

Metroid is second (MP4 character), Fire Emblem and Pokèmon are tied third, and after them maybe Kirby and/or Donkey Kong (Dixie Kong, but she has a spirit so I don't know).
Rhythm Heaven may or may not happen, depending on how much of a problem is that a character already has a spirit in the game.

Other franchises with a slim chance IMO are Earthbound, and Mario (yes, still Mario, be it Geno, E.Gadd/King Boo or wathever you want... or maybe Yoshi's Island instead).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom