• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
It accomplished something, we had something to talk about for a week.

Two and bit weeks to go...
When you put in that sense, it was fun to see all the discussions about the guy, I have never seen the community so up in arms about a character like this since maybe Incineroar, and we all know how well that ended!

I'd pretty much just laugh it off and settle in for that January reveal wait.
I would actually laugh my a** off if we don't get a reveal, after all of this speculation, AND we REALLY have to wait even longer till January! Honestly. I don't see them doing that to us, but it'd be funny at least to me. If they show something else like Bayonetta 3, I would forgive, because look at how long ago that's been announced, and we still don't have anything from that. I would actually suffice if we don't have a Smash reveal, but we get a look at Bayonetta 3 instead.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'll say it again: It goes from 2:30 AM to 4:30 AM for me, on a weekday. No way in hell I'm sitting through something like that.
Yeah, I have a bad habit of staying up late but I can't watch those kinds of shows and reveals when I'm that sleepy.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, do what I do, go to bed and wait the next day
Just sleep it out and check tomorrow if there is any interesting reveals.

I'm not going to sit through the VGA myself, even if I get another "You mean Joker from Batman?" like wake up call....
I mean, that's what I fully intend to do. My point is just that I don't want a character reveal at TGA because then I wouldn't be able to watch it live.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Gordon's officially dead for FP5 in case anyone really thought it was possible. Verge has spoken.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78195785?page=3#33
Just got back after class, and oh my. What an interesting workflow this discussion has become.

I checked the link to GameFaqs and Verge, and to quote him:

Well, there you have it. Wala na, finish na. Was clearly on Team Fake this entire time, and surely enough, the Word of the Lourd struck back yet again.But honestly, all this stuff about Vergeben deconfirming character after character after character is soooo fishy. Kinda like with how Sabi reacted during the SNK Leak. I mean, he's just outright saying nos left and right. If he would know, he would've came forward with this information. If Verge's sources seem sketchy, then why is he using his credibility as an excuse? So much for being the Newcomer Thread's Daily Novena.
I just checked what Vergeben had to say and...

The Gordon "leak" is very fake.
He merely said that the "leak" is fake.
He didn't say Gordon WASN'T Fighter 5.

EDIT: I WAS WRONG!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I just checked what Vergeben had to say and...

He merely said that the "leak" is fake.
He didn't say Gordon WASN'T Fighter 5.

The V Man Himself said:
I can't either but it seems that I have to. The fifth character is not Gordon.
There you go, right on the next page

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I had terrible luck with the VGAs last year.

As soon as I turned the stream off due to being completely bored by it, that's when they ******* reveal Joker for Smash.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I've always just treated the Game Awards as "E3 2", and I don't think I'm alone in that. As cool as it would be to see Astral Chain or Smash Ultimate win an award (I would argue both those games deserve one), I'm way more excited at the possibility of a game announcement, like when Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 or Joker in Smash Ultimate were revealed last year, or when Bayonetta 3 was announced in 2017 along with Switch ports of 1 and 2.

I would actually laugh my a** off if we don't get a reveal, after all of this speculation, AND we REALLY have to wait even longer till January! Honestly. I don't see them doing that to us, but it'd be funny at least to me. If they show something else like Bayonetta 3, I would forgive, because look at how long ago that's been announced, and we still don't have anything from that. I would actually suffice if we don't have a Smash reveal, but we get a look at Bayonetta 3 instead.
How long has it usually taken between a character's reveal and their release? I know that Terry was revealed in September and wasn't released until November, two months later. If Fighter 5 will be treated the same way, it's likely sometime in December, and if it's not at the Game Awards, probably shortly before (remember: Smash Ultimate's anniversary) or after.

Also, you want to know how desperate I am for some Bayonetta 3 news? The entire show could just be Hideo Kojima flipping the bird while chanting "**** you, Konami!"... and if Bayonetta 3 was shown off at the last minute, I would consider it worth sitting through.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't think many people claim that Spirits are unable to be promoted and Sakurai cornered himself with them.

The key phrase is "if Sakurai really wanted them". If he really wanted them, why they aren't in the base game? And why would he immediately go back to Nintendo after an all-third-party pass is immensely successful and guest characters have a lot of potential?

Spirit promotions aren't impossible but that doesn't mean they are likely.
There's two reasons I could see Spirit promotions happening:

1. The character was considered for the base roster, but couldn't make it in due to time constraints: In Smash Ultimate's base game, there's only 5 new Nintendo characters: :ultinkling:, :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, :ultisabelle:, and :ultincineroar:. Of these 5, two were put in because of their popularity on the Fighter's Pass, one was put in because she could be built off Villager and had an explosion of popularity in recent years, one was put in because they were the face of a new, massively successful IP that simply couldn't be left out, and one was the obligatory Pokemon. This isn't a ton of characters, and it wouldn't surprise me Sakurai had other ideas that had to hit the shelf simply because of how tight the base roster was this time, similar to what happened with Wario in Melee.

2. Something changed Sakurai's mind about the character: Perhaps a character was considered when the base roster was decided at the end of 2015 and was deemed too unimpressive or infeasible to join the roster, with Sakurai changing his opinion on them in the past 4 years, similar to what happened with :ultpacman:, :ultmiifighters:, :ultvillager:, or :ultridley:. Alternatively, Sakurai wasn't aware how popular a certain character was, causing him to go back and reassess the possibility of them joining Smash.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Due to its practicality and versatility in an open world setting, Eagle Vision popularized similar mechanics like Detective Vision (Arkham series), Witcher Sense (Witcher), Third Eye (Persona 5), Focus Tracking (Horizon Zero Dawn), Postcognition (Infamous), Survival Sense (Tomb Raider), etc. I've mentioned that I've worked with Activision (if ya ever visit the Santa Monica headquarters, the woman they bring up whose heel got stuck in the floor vent is yours truly, I kid you not) and they straight up referred to Black Op 3's Eagle Vision equivalent (Tactical Mode?) as... Eagle Vision.

That's literally just one thing, but there's no denying that Assassin's Creed has had quite an influence on the open world/stealth/platformer genres as we know them.

Aside from the fact that sales numbers don't include digital copies and that a good chunk of the console gaming scene (foreign or otherwise) has taken a bit of a nosedive compared to the old days of Crash Bandicoot, AC has sold well over there, all things considered. As aforementioned, it managed to top the weekly charts. One of my favorite longstanding JRPGs has an entry that didn't do as well as Odyssey's opening lol.

You're sleeping on it. I don't care about the games much, but I know it'd be hype and that it'd bring a lot to the table like it did for its crossovers. I can see it happening. Especially compared to a some other "popular" Smash picks. TBH, at times, I feel like our fandom doesn't even know what it wants until it receives it. D:

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Ezio is probably the most likely choice for an Assassin's Creed character, and he'd definitely be cool... but I'd personally prefer Edward Kenway, because more pirates in Smash Bros. is always a good thing in my book.

I'd also love a Hero-style character who is multiple main characters from different Assassin's Creed games... but having played II, IV: Black Flag, and at least seen footage of III, I know that isn't feasible.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I can’t believe there was Porky discussion and y’all didn’t tag me.

No, our great king is not in the Absolutely Safe Capsule’s spirit; the method to get it has no reference to Porky, and there’s nothing else to indicate he’s in it, either. Plus, they still could’ve had a spirit of Porky as he is in EarthBound/Mother 2, but they didn’t.

Therefor, Galeem freed our lovable chubster and he will soon conquer you all.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
So here's something interesting
**** like this is why I absolutely believe in the Smash Bubble effect
Wouldn't be surprised if there is a massive sales boom for KoF XV, especially if it comes to the Switch.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I also want to bring up once more that we know for a fact that one of the fake names Nintendo fed to Xander Mobus to not reveal the Sm4sh DLC was "Altair". Even Nintendo knows the series' popularity.

I'm not even the biggest fan of Assassin's Creed. I was pretty into the 2 saga and I loved Ezio in Soulcalibur V, and I remember the splash the first one made, but it's really one of those series' that would bring a lot of hype and excitement and unique gameplay and aesthetics to Smash. A Hero-style "Assassin" would be cool, even if it's not super plausible, but Ezio or Edward or Kassandra on their own would bring in a lot of cool ****.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Wouldn't be surprised if there is a massive sales boom for KoF XV, especially if it comes to the Switch.
I'm surprised that The King of Fighters XIV hasn't been ported to Switch yet. With Terry in Smash making some waves, now would be a good time to do so, and if XV wasn't initially planned for Switch, they're probably making plans for a port of that as well.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't think it's surprising at all. Not for me, at least.

Banjo & Kazooie is the most niche character and franchise of the entire pass so far, and I'm not saying that in a bad way or anything. At the same time he was the most demanded character of all 4 characters among the Smash community, of course.
The same would happen if we get Geno in the future and, I don't know, Heihachi or a Resident Evil character? To name a few examples of characters that aren't super popular in the Smash bubble.

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Personal thoughts regarding FP5:

I think our last FP character will either be a high-in-demand, Smash fan base favorite (e.g., Geno) or a totally left-field, hardly speculated about pick (e.g., Gordon Freeman). I think these "in-betweeners" (e.g., Reimu) and flavors of the week (e.g., KOS-MOS) aren't making it in unless it's post pass.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Can't say I'm shocked. Very rarely have heard anyone talk about Banjo outside of Smash

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Personal thoughts regarding FP5:

I think our last FP character will either be a high-in-demand, Smash fan base favorite (e.g., Geno) or a totally left-field, hardly speculated about pick (e.g., Gordon Freeman). I think these "in-betweeners" (e.g., Reimu) and flavors of the week (e.g., KOS-MOS) aren't making it in unless it's post pass.
The third option is one that's been right under our nose the entire time and glossed over without a second thought. Sakurai is a wizard. There is no accounting for what choices he makes.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
One of my favorite Terry reactions summed it up for me, which is "If you were a 90s kid, you know this man". I'm still baffled that people didn't know who he was, but then again I have to remember I'm older than a lot of current Smash fans and I'm also a big fighting game fan.

I feel like there's a lot of great things in KOF15's favor. If they keep the rock-solid gameplay of 14 and use all they learned graphically and mechanics-wise from SamSho, SNK is gonna have a smash hit on their hands and I can't wait.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm gonna be the odd guy here and borrow off of Raycevick (a FPS Youtuber's) video, which I've qouted from a lot in this thread. I'm practically on the same boat when it comes to those two games:

I fully understand where you're coming from (and yea, I remember the initial reactions to 5 and 6): when a series drastically shifts (not to mention, doesn't even come close to the heights 4 got to) it's really really hard to take in stride. From a purely "I don't want to see this franchise die" standpoint. Still though, Capcom did put in a lot of work into 5 and 6, that was just completely misdirected in a lot of places. And it shows.

However, Raycevick (likely to your horror) stumbled upon RE5 being heavily discounted on Steam - years after RE5's release. He played, enjoyed RE5's wackiness and loved 6's unintentional Michael Bay. And he clarifies in the video, 6 is unarguably bad - he just argues that it's So Bad it's Hilarious. And I'm seriously leaning towards buying RE6 because of that video.

But now, with hindsight and the fact that the RE series continued? Despite the reasonable fears RE would be further derailed? It's honestly much easier to swallow for me at least, partly since Raycevick pointed out one thing in the video: 6 was used to build Revelations 2, and partly because of RE7. In a way, their legacies feel really strange.

I kinda think they were the games shown at E3 because they were the easiest to port to the Switch. 4 already got ported everywhere else, and maybe they wanted to divert some attention away from the RE remakes? Speculating, yes, but could see it.
I didn't watch the video, but RE5 is actually one of my favorite games of all time.

My point is that it's simply a port of an old game-- and it's not even the first port. RE5 and RE6 had already been ported to XB1 and PS4 two years earlier-- and were announced via Twitter. Just like the Switch ports of RE: Revelations 1 & 2 in 2017, and REmake/RE0/RE4 a year ago.

It's not the quality of the games that makes it interesting. Until Monster Hunter World broke the record, RE5 had been Capcom's highest selling game ever, with RE6 coming in at number two. It's the fact that they made such a show of just another port in an E3 showing. In my mind, there has to be some other motivation.

My mind jumps to Smash.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Another one bites the dust. Now that Freeman is jailed for now, who else is left on the table? Dante? 2B? Phoenix?
As much as I love Phoenix and believe in his chances, I'm not sure I'd put him in the running for FP5.

The only thing he has going for him is a random 4chan text leak that just happened to get Terry's presentation date right, while also claiming Phoenix would be FP5.

D

Deleted member

Good. Let the BanjoHive try do their thing and try to justify why Banjo isn't the most niche character on the pass.

View attachment 248042
I can't give any less of a **** than I do now if they're the most niche character, they're in the game and that's all I need
Seems like y'all care way more based on how you're making it into a popularity contest to justify why they're a waste of a character but hey that's just the impression I'm getting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As much as I love Phoenix and believe in his chances, I'm not sure I'd put him in the running for FP5.

The only thing he has going for him is a random 4chan text leak that just happened to get Terry's presentation date right, while also claiming Phoenix would be FP5.
I'd love to be wrong, and I really do think that Phoenix is coming at some point, but I have to agree that I don't see him as the final fighter. Still, he's popular, recognizable, from a company that's easy to work with, and brings a different demographic and genre to the game. It's not impossible.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Can't believe people are still mad we got a highly requested character that's been wanted for years lol.
If he wasn't popular enough to get in than he wouldn't be in. Yet here we are. :rolleyes:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I can't give any less of a **** than I do now if they're the most niche character, they're in the game and that's all I need
Seems like y'all care way more based on how you're making it into a popularity contest to justify why they're a waste of a character but hey that's just the impression I'm getting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nah, it's because a lot of Banjo fans keep giving **** at other characters for being niche despite Banjo-Kazooie not being exactly a platforming giant itself.

Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
It's a damn shame that fighting game characters noticeably lack support when it comes to Super Smash.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Does this factor in people who watched the Banjo presentation live after the September 4th Direct? I don't disagree that Terry is probably a bigger name than Banjo, but I don't know if these numbers are the best evidence for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom