• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Honestly, what’s stopping these insiders from just saying a general statement like “I have a gut feeling the next fighter might be from Capcom or Namco, leaning more towards Capcom though” to hint at who it could be. It’s not a leak specifically but still aids speculation.
It's a leak because it indicates what company it's from. If FP 5 is as well kept a secret as Sabi says, a company hint would still be too much.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What's also interesting about that poll is that Toxtricity has double the votes Dragapult has, and while one of the biggest Pokemon fan sites can hardly represent the entire fandom or mainstream audience, it's interesting when it seems that Sword and Shield try nudging you into liking Toxtricity by giving you one for free, having statues of it and some datamining stuff showed more for some reason. I have a feeling that TPC would want this punk rock lizard in Smash and unlike the last few Pokemon included, Toxtricity doesn't have too much against it, Gen 6 didn't try promoting a specific pokemon but rather waited to see what fans liked before promoting them further and Gen 7 had Lycanroc who may not even have been properly finalized due to it's third form appearing later than everything else

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Hmm.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I feel Dante is definitely coming post FP, assuming he ain't the last fighter on the pass.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
At this point I’d rather know if Phoenix isn’t 5 so I can cope easier when Leon/Jill inevitably gets in first. The closer we get to the Game Awards the more apparent it seems that RE will have a character revealed what with the RE2 presence as well as the possibility of RE3 being revealed, however I still find it a tad unlikely that reveals are tied to releases.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You may joke about this, but I'd definitely prefer that over any other option.
Depends for me. Not a lot of first parties would get me super amped up like Joker or Hero unless they went with a fan favorite or Three Houses.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I think we may get some frontrunners for if a SwoShi mon happens after all
Flapple or riot

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
At this point, I feel #5 boils down to 4 characters...

1) Prof. Layton: Whom I feel is the most likely. Has a broad appeal to a female demographic and his series has done something like 16-17 Mil units. So that's essentially twice as much as Ace Attorney which might give him the edge over Wright (also facing stiff competition of his own from RE, DMC, etc.). That being said, Layton might have competition himself in the form of YKW which was really popular in 2015-2017 which is the time-frame the Pass would be based on.

2) Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy: Huge Japanese franchise not in Smash and RE has a big prescence at the VGA's. Would make sense for them to be last if the Fighters Pass was the planned end of DLC.

3) Dark Souls character: Bandai-Namco not having their Mii Costumes return is very sus when the other companies had theirs return. Plus, Heihachi's missing Mii Costume and FP characters having no prescence in Smash before favors Dark Souls over Tekken/Tales of.

4) Assassian's Creed character: Prob unlikely because I don't think another Western character will happen in the Pass but there's a chance. Ezio or Rayman might have a chance post-Pass tho. Ezio coming from a huge franchise and Rayman's Smash Bros popularity.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Definitely getting the feeling CP 5 is Resident Evil or Dante. Either way I would be thrilled.

Either one makes a good amount of sense, at least I would say.

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
Found out who FP 5 is.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
YuruYuri character incoming! :ultpacman:
What a character! Looks like a ridiculous moveset - just upthrow kills at 0% !

1) Prof. Layton: Whom I feel is the most likely. Has a broad appeal to a female demographic and his series has done something like 16-17 Mil units. So that's essentially twice as much as Ace Attorney which might give him the edge over Wright (also facing stiff competition of his own from RE, DMC, etc.). That being said, Layton might have competition himself in the form of YKW which was really popular in 2015-2017 which is the time-frame the Pass would be based on.

2) Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy: Huge Japanese franchise not in Smash and RE has a big prescence at the VGA's. Would make sense for them to be last if the Fighters Pass was the planned end of DLC.

3) Dark Souls character: Bandai-Namco not having their Mii Costumes return is very sus when the other companies had theirs return. Plus, Heihachi's missing Mii Costume and FP characters having no prescence in Smash before favors Dark Souls over Tekken/Tales of.

4) Assassian's Creed character: Prob unlikely because I don't think another Western character will happen in the Pass but there's a chance. Ezio or Rayman might have a chance post-Pass tho. Ezio coming from a huge franchise and Rayman's Smash Bros popularity.
You're forgetting Doomslayer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think we are going to get 1st party DLC characters. Definitely not in the Fighters Pass. But if I HAD to bet money on one, it would be Porky. Either him or Rex. I think Porky has a slight edge over Rex, because Porky's absence is stranger.
I wouldn't bet on any first party characters either, however, I can see a scenario where they decide to do a first party character in order to plug the gap between the Fighters Pass and the additional DLC, just so there isn't any significant downtime between the two DLC phases. It would be a much faster character to develop than a 3rd party character, not just due to not having to do any negotiations, but they could also go with a character from an existing franchise, meaning they wouldn't have to develop a stage.

I highly doubt that would be Porky though, his absence as a Spirit doesn't really matter anymore past the Fighters Pass as the whole theory was that he's not a Spirit because he was planned to be DLC, which as it turns out wasn't the case, so it doesn't really seem like there's any particular reason for him not having a Spirit. Maybe it'd be Rex considering Sakurai was so openly regretful about not being able to include him, or maybe a FE: Three Houses character given the somewhat suspicious lack of promotional Spirits for the game, but I'm not sure how much it's worth speculating over as I don't really see a first party character happening unless the above scenario plays out, and right now it's just a hypothetical.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

The Layton series sold over 17 million units as of 2018, that number may be higher depending on how the Switch port did of Layton's Mystery Journey Deluxe, which I've seen is doing pretty well in the European eShop so far. Its currently Level-5's most popular game franchise globally last I checked.

If the next fighter is from Level-5 then it most likely boils down between Layton or Jibanyan from Yokai Watch, both having a fairly good case of being chosen if Sakurai wanted to include a character from that company.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Grimmsnarl is one of the most unpleasant Pokemon designs ever...

Still in my party cause of that typing tho...

I've already hit credits with my team of Intelleon, Corviknight, Toxtricity, Coalossal, Frosmoth and Grimmsnarl.
I don't really get the Grimmsnarl hate that I see so often. His design is much better than many of the other 'human-like' pokemon out there (yes that includes the gen-8 starter evos)

I don't have SwSh, but it'd probably be the first game where I'd just not use my starter

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
“Well, you think about it… I’m pretty sure that they… all the characters in Smash at least have some game on a Nintendo platform, right?” Itsuno said after a bit of a chuckle.
Certainly there must be more to this. You don't suddenly say that and then suddenly drop three games on the Switch throughout the year.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Depends for me. Not a lot of first parties would get me super amped up like Joker or Hero unless they went with a fan favorite or Three Houses.
To each their own. I couldn't get super amped up for anything on the Fighter Pass yet.

Imagine the utter chaos if he deconfirmed it being a gaming character.

Shrek for Smash?!
I mean, there were these totally 100% legit Sabi posts.

You're forgetting Doomslayer.
That's because credible leakers already confirmed that he ain't FP5.

SKX31

Smash Master
I feel Dante is definitely coming post FP, assuming he ain't the last fighter on the pass.
Dante's really intriguing because he has so many potential weapons if he gets in. Don't think he'll use Pandora (where do you even start with that weapon?) but I could see something else other than the standard Rebellion / Ebony & Ivory. If Sakurai / Sora Ltd. manage to work in Cavaliere (the buzzsaw / motorcycle one) I'll be happy as a clam, but I'll take any non-standard weapon (including the fist weapons as standard) even for just a couple moves.

Also, a small China update: Apparently a new batch of 18 import games were approved this week - and no console games (no, not for the Switch either). Well, most likely burst that one. The rumored December 10th release date feels a little wonky - if there's no new batch of approved games in time (next round's most likely next month). Still: both Nintendo and Tencent have been very much tight-lipped overall about the thing, and there's still room for a surprise round.

While I never felt that a reveal at the upcoming Chinese presentation was likely, I nevertheless wanted some clarity on that situation given the teasing that's been going on recently.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Certainly there must be more to this. You don't suddenly say that and then suddenly drop three games on the Switch throughout the year.
To be fair, Capcom’s been going on a porting spree with Megaman, Dragon’s Dogma, Ace Attorney (to a degree), Resident Evil, and Street Fighter as well. Later in the interview, he basically reveals that it’s not his call, as he points to a Capcom UK representative to redirect fans into giving their requests to her.

CharacterCrisisKing

Smash Apprentice
Not happning for Challenger Pack 5 but is extremly likely afterwards IMO.
I piss on your leaks! I hated that **** when it ran rampant pre-SwSh, with that last leak (which, yes, turned out to be true) pissing me off so badly. I won't have it anywhere near me! I tolerated the Mii Hat leak, a little, but goddammit I won't have this **** anymore! It's too much! Too many people trying to get their Christmas presents early! I'M CHANGING MY AVATAR!

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
To be fair, Capcom’s been going on a porting spree with Megaman, Dragon’s Dogma, Ace Attorney (to a degree), Resident Evil, and Street Fighter as well. Later in the interview, he basically reveals that it’s not his call, as he points to a Capcom UK representative to redirect fans into giving their requests to her.
There was nothing stopping him from saying that Dante isn't in Smash though, just like Matt Walker did back before the Fighter Pass was a thing.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
So the characters we know ISN'T fighter #5:
  • Crash
  • Tracer
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Doomguy
  • Geno
  • Scorpion
  • Gordon Freeman
The identity of the next fighter keeps narrowing down, but we only know the ones deconfirmed for this slot. Yeah I think the next character's identity is tightly under wraps right now, unless a bombshell drops.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So the characters we know ISN'T fighter #5:
  • Crash
  • Tracer
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Doomguy
  • Geno
  • Scorpion
  • Gordon Freeman
The identity of the next fighter keeps narrowing down, but we only know the ones deconfirmed for this slot. Yeah I think the next character's identity is tightly under wraps right now, unless a bombshell drops.
You forgot Arthur from Ghosts n Goblins, as stated by Sabi, but then again that leak was obviously fake

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I’m shocked Verge hasn’t said anything about Lloyd, Sora, or a Capcom character ngl.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I know my bias is showing, but I've legitimately believed that someone on the Fighters Pass was going to be Resident Evil ever since E3.

Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6-- last gen games released in 2009 and 2012 respectively-- got their own two minute announcement trailer during Nintendo's E3 presser, complete with a live action acted sequence to build up its own hype. Why. These ports are the kinds of things you casually announce on Twitter and launch for another million or so copies, not something you announce in your limited time available for E3.

It's just odd. And I feel like it's because they wanted to push RE on the Switch. Considering Project Resistance hasn't been demoed on a Switch at any of the three events it's been at, my money is on an RE character for Smash.

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
There was nothing stopping him from saying that Dante isn't in Smash though, just like Matt Walker did back before the Fighter Pass was a thing.
According to the source, the question asked was related to “what he thinks of the rumors and fan demand,” which doesn’t really require him to comment on such a thing in the first place.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
No, it doesn’t, but my point is that Assassin’s Creed does absolutely nothing special or notable beyond sell well, and it doesn’t sell well in Japan either. Yes it has crossed over with some Japanese franchises and done better than some other Western franchises, but not by much and its Japanese sales figures convey a less than stellar picture (and those most definitely matter more than US for these crossovers).

It’s not an influential or particularly notable series in any way beyond it sells well in the West; its a Western develop, recent series with little Japanese presence; and it has never been a popular choice for any part of the Smash fandom. I think it’s appropriately slept on by most of speculation.

Hey, man don't insult Assassin's Creed like that. Ezio's got plenty of outlets.
Maybe people shouldn't just default to Rayman as the only Ubisoft option and look beyond their choices. At least people are doing that with companies like Namco and Capcom.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m shocked Verge hasn’t said anything about Lloyd, Sora, or a Capcom character ngl.
Or a Namco character period

I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear any of that and continue hoping for Doomslayer.
he’s probably still coming. Just... a bit later than you’d hope.
I'm still holding out for Byleth.
I’m hoping for Akira Howard, and Elma and/or Octoling (Octo Expansion) if Spirit promotions count

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I’d much prefer a Resident Evil character over Dante, personally. RE has more legacy, and I really want to see how Sakurai would design a move set based around a survival horror game.
also I don’t really like Dante’s design at all tbh, never have

That said, the Dante/Bayonetta crossover finally happening in Smash of all places would be insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom