• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
You know, saying "Yeah it's likely made up to bait me into making a video" in the video itself doesn't really help your look cause it's pretty much saying "Yeah I clickbaited the **** out of all y'all"
I talk about lots of other things in the video besides the "monsun leak" and its still inconclusive whether or not it was a fake leak to bait me or what. Which is why, I waited a week to make a video on it at all. Waited to see if it fell apart or what, I also just go over general speculation for Gordon Freeman since hes suddenly being talked about this week so I mean monsun leak aside theres plenty of just character speculation for Gordon discussed for the fun of it too in there.

D

Deleted member

I talk about lots of other things in the video besides the "monsun leak" and its still inconclusive whether or not it was a fake leak to bait me or what. Which is why, I waited a week to make a video on it at all. Waited to see if it fell apart or what, I also just go over general speculation for Gordon Freeman since hes suddenly being talked about this week so I mean monsun leak aside theres plenty of just character speculation for Gordon discussed for the fun of it too in there.
This just in, Verge deconfirmed him again. Like I said, Vergeben is acting kinda suspicious to me. If he's busy deconfirming character left and right, then why wouldn't he just come forward and spill the beans. If he doesn't know, fine!

I honestly don't know why the hell did he even bait you to begin with. Maybe he's just advertising his character for Smash; then again, fake leaks make great ads.

Things aside, I'd like to hear your part on this color theory that everyone in the forum's been gossiping about.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This just in, Verge deconfirmed him again. Like I said, Vergeben is acting kinda suspicious to me. If he's busy deconfirming character left and right, then why wouldn't he just come forward and spill the beans. If he doesn't know, fine!
Its easier and safer to talk about who isn't in then to outright say who it is and risk getting the source in trouble.

Best to wait for the last minute until the source is sure more people know about the character before saying who it is.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Color Theory will come to pass even if they have to force orange on a character that it doesn't fit at all.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Color Theory will come to pass even if they have to force orange on a character that it doesn't fit at all.
Lyn Computer.png
... So it's a theory that doesn't actually narrow down the list of potential characters at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That is honestly my hunch, as I firmly believe that background color and the character have ZERO correlation to each other. But I highly doubt that teh design team would ever go for a pattern here.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
That is honestly my hunch, as I firmly believe that background color and the character have ZERO correlation to each other. But I highly doubt that teh design team would ever go for a pattern here.
Joker's red is the motif of Persona 5. Like 4 was blue and 3 was yellow.
Hero's purple because... Eleven is purple.
Yellow is the color of gold, which is a common motif in Banjo-Kazooie, most notably jiggies. Also Banjo's only piece of clothing is yellow.
Blue is the SNK logo.
Orange fits Crash (deconfirmed), Doom Slayer (deconfirmed), Gordon Freeman (Deconfirmed), any other Valve character (Orange Box), Tracer, Amaterasu, any Bandai-Namco character (orange logo), and I'm sure plenty of others.
Or we could have a situation like Roy's green background that seems to have nothing to do with him at all.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I address this whole baiting me to make a video thing in the video itself and literally show those exact two images in the video.

I pointed out that monsun was begging sabi not to dismiss the leak until after I made a video, which was a red flag to me and sabi. That happened monday night (nov 18) when I was talking to both sabi and monsun, I was completely aware of potentially being baited into a video and discussed with sabi directly about the possibility of that and have been cautious about addressing this potential "leak" at all because of it.

We decided to wait it out until more info for half-life alyx came out a few days later (nov 21) and afterwards sabi posted this:

View attachment 248003

Again ALL of this is explained and addressed in the video itself, I go over the series of events and "sketchy" stuff with the leak, I didn't jump to make a video on it, I waited it out.

So I'm not unaware of the "trolling" factor that might be involved with the "monsun leak", thats partly why I did not make a video about it until nearly a week later when things have settled, the whole thing seems to just be sitting as is for now so I made the video and was sure to include ALL the sketchy/baiting/trolling parts of the story that goes along with what happened with this one.

I'm neutral on it and point out that monsun didnt really predict very much at all that wasn't already known, still I like speculating and a chance to speculate gordon freeman and talk about what he has going for him was fun. Hes one of those characters that never gets talked about so again its fun to speculate especially for a character that hasn't been talked about ad nauseam at this point.
Well... you probably should've waited longer. Things weren't settled yet. If you had waited until after character five was revealed, you could've covered how it was fake yet nonetheless interesting while getting the chance to discuss Gordon, and not coming off either like you played into someone's hands, or you did it for the clicks.

Because tbh, this one seemed rather open and shut... to me at least. But y'know, you do you.

D

Deleted member

Yellow is the color of gold, which is a common motif in Banjo-Kazooie, most notably jiggies. Also Banjo's only piece of clothing is yellow.
Blue is the SNK logo.
Orange fits Crash (deconfirmed), Doom Slayer (deconfirmed), Gordon Freeman (Deconfirmed), any other Valve character (Orange Box), Tracer, Amaterasu, any Bandai-Namco character (orange logo), and I'm sure plenty of others.
I don't like it if people just go on and on about colors. What if they decide to go with just white or brown or black or even PINK-

BLACKPINK IN YOUR AREA

But yeah, what about those four?

Honestly all this color theory bs is just a delimiter for speculation. In other words

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Well... you probably should've waited longer. Things weren't settled yet. If you had waited until after character five was revealed, you could've covered how it was fake yet nonetheless interesting while getting the chance to discuss Gordon, and not coming off either like you played into someone's hands, or you did it for the clicks.

Because tbh, this one seemed rather open and shut... to me at least. But y'know, you do you.

Im honestly surprised people seem so negative about this video, I basically laid out and presented what happened with it as in "this is whats been going on with smash speculation this week" and addressed all the sketchy stuff surrounding it, the video also talked about lots of other stuff and even when it came to the "monsun leak" stuff I also had a bunch of just general gordon freeman speculation in there because thats just fun to discuss for once.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Should we read more into the fact that Vergeben still hasn't "deconfirmed" Crash or Tracer yet (unlike Sabi) or do you think it's just because these two don't have any major leak going for them? (And yeah, Crash has the "Mii costume leaker" vouching for him, but that leak is kinda sketchy)

OffBi

Smash Ace
Should we read more into the fact that Vergeben still hasn't "deconfirmed" Crash or Tracer yet (unlike Sabi) or do you think it's just because these two don't have any major leak going for them? (And yeah, Crash has the "Mii costume leaker" vouching for him, but that leak is kinda sketchy)
But he deconfirmed them

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It's also with non Nintendo characters for non Nintendo fans as seen with the target audience growing due to mass appeal as Sakurai understands how to draw in new fans unlike the "Let's water down our mechanics to turn off our core fans so we can maybe get more new ones"
Smash watered down its mechanics from Melee.
Blue is the SNK logo.
Or we could have a situation like Roy's green background that seems to have nothing to do with him at all.
But he deconfirmed them
Vergeben never said Crash or Tracer aren't in the game. Some rando we have no reason to trust maybe meant they weren't in when they said "No Crash No Tracer" on the discord server for Sabi, who is an admitted liar.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Smash watered down its mechanics from Melee.

Vergeben never said Crash or Tracer aren't in the game. Some rando we have no reason to trust maybe meant they weren't in when they said "No Crash No Tracer" on the discord server for Sabi, who is an admitted liar.
Brawl's success when compared to Melee was clearly because of the story mode, the larger cast including Sonic and Snake, overall more content like stages and music and the fact Melee was on a system that kinda flopped whereas Brawl was on the Wii. Ultimate is the best selling Smash game yet expanded on the mechanics. I thought it was obvious I was referring to other fighting games as seen with SFV's failure, BBTag's huge crossover feel yet people feeling divided on how simplified it is and a lot of concerns for GG Strive

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So in other words, we pretty much have 9 characters that are on the list of "characters that are probably not FP5 according to insiders"

• Scorpion
  • Crash
  • Ryu
  • Geno
  • Doomslayer
  • Tracer
  • Arthur (Ghosts n Goblins)
  • Gordon Freeman (the most recent one regarding insider info)
  • Rex (he's just here because his game was after character planning finished and was relegated to mii costume, nothing to do with insiders)

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So in other words, we pretty much have 9 characters that are on the list of "characters that are probably not FP5 according to insiders"

• Scorpion
  • Crash
  • Ryu
  • Geno
  • Doomslayer
  • Tracer
  • Arthur (Ghosts n Goblins)
  • Gordon Freeman (the most recent one regarding insider info)
  • Rex (he's just here because his game was after character planning finished and was relegated to mii costume, nothing to do with insiders)
Tracer wasn't from Sabi or Vergeben. It was just some dude on Sabi's server. Never from Sabi herself. So I don't consider her deconfirmed.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Gordon's officially dead for FP5 in case anyone really thought it was possible. Verge has spoken.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78195785?page=3#33
The Verg said:
The Gordon "leak" is very fake.
Maybe I'm being pedantic, but a leak being fake =/= a character not being in. I dismissed the Discord leaker piggybacking on HLVR info ages ago - they have no impact on whether Gordon's actually in or not.

Edit: Aaaand literally on the next page over;
Big Boy V said:
I can't either but it seems that I have to. The fifth character is not Gordon.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Brawl's success when compared to Melee was clearly because of the story mode, the larger cast including Sonic and Snake, overall more content like stages and music and the fact Melee was on a system that kinda flopped whereas Brawl was on the Wii. Ultimate is the best selling Smash game yet expanded on the mechanics. I thought it was obvious I was referring to other fighting games as seen with SFV's failure, BBTag's huge crossover feel yet people feeling divided on how simplified it is and a lot of concerns for GG Strive
I don't understand. So you weren't implying that Sakurai knows better than to water down mechanics?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't understand. So you weren't implying that Sakurai knows better than to water down mechanics?
She was. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is more mechanically intensive than Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U (Which I believe is more mechanically intensive than Super Smash Bros. Brawl). He decided it was better to focus on the crossover aspect to entice new people rather than the games "simplicity". It's likely that he learned "the dumbing things down approach doesn't actually help sales" lesson from Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

A lesson that the core fighting game developers haven't quite caught on to.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, I kinda fail to understand how talking about the Monsun stuff is "clickbait". It's far from the only thing in the video (takes two minutes at most) and the entire purpose of it is speculation.

Regardless, now that we have Vergeben's word, we can lay Gordon to rest... until season 2, that is. I'm glad a new character came into speculation here for once, all things considered. Shows that at least a part of the fanbase is open for new possibilities.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the problem with fighting games is how online modes changed the skill landscape.

Back with Melee and older Street Fighter 2 ports it was you against your friends and other people at the arcade and your skills grew alongside each other. But with the internet, everyone's thrown into the same room and then you've always got the most skilled people online and it's hard to populate it with new people because there's no quicker way to turn someone off a game than to absolutely stomp them. Dark Souls did get past that by being up front with it's difficulty but that's an exception.

Developers trying to make things more level is usually handled poorly (Marvel vs Capcom's simplified inputs didn't allow you to pull off combos like the normal settup, Tripping in Brawl was annoying to everyone) which also goes hand in hand with skimping on the single player content (Capcom cutting Arcade mode from the original release of SFV)

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Has anyone
Im honestly surprised people seem so negative about this video, I basically laid out and presented what happened with it as in "this is whats been going on with smash speculation this week" and addressed all the sketchy stuff surrounding it, the video also talked about lots of other stuff and even when it came to the "monsun leak" stuff I also had a bunch of just general gordon freeman speculation in there because thats just fun to discuss for once.
I’m sorry that you been treated so ridiculously.

If you don’t mind, can I bring something up that’s kinda weird? You know how in the fighter’s pass, there is a Rex costume that comes with it? The Rex costume is completely unaccessible without buying the pass. What exactly will cause the developers to attached a character that would’ve been in the game, for free, as a costume with a 25$ pay wall. Unless, there was at least one character in the pass that certainly had a character the Rex guys want. Someone like Kos-Mos. I’m not saying that she is absolutely the fifth character, but she makes sense in terms of marketing and how Nintendo wants their dlcs be pleasing for their costumers, even going as far as calling them “vital”. After all, they likely made the pass way before they approve of any future dlc, so every fighter in this pass was certainly chosen with caution. I won’t continue with the details if you aren’t interested.

Qoute from Reggie, formal president of Nintendo of America in regard to dlc:
“Our global president has said DLC is important to us, whether it’s paid or free, in driving ongoing engagement with Nintendo Switch as a platform and with the particular games.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...sales-super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-and-2019/

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Blue is the SNK logo.
The colors are most likely just taken from a character's palette, or some particular move of theirs
Joker's red is his gloves and Arsene, Terry's blue like his jeans, Roy's is green because of the hilt of his sword being green

the only possible exception i've seen is Ken's color being white, but even then it's meant to be either the white of his Hadouken, or his and Ryu's colors got switched around on accident <which is very doubtful, admittedly>

the colors match each individual character, but I super doubt they specifically choose different colors because of what ANOTHER character's colors are

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I’m going to be honest, how are colors important if they only come after the character is revealed?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Too bad it can't be like Guess Who

"Is the character from Valve?"
"Is the charcter a spirit?"
"Is the character a swordsman?"
"Is the character first-party?"
"Is the character another fighting game character?"

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm like 90% sure FP5 is not who everyone thinks it's gonna be, especially with people being so caught up with the idea TGA means it's gotta be a big western pick.

Y'all ain't ready for Koei-Tecmo or Bamco to hit you with somethin' weeb is all I'm sayin'.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm like 90% sure FP5 is not who everyone thinks it's gonna be, especially with people being so caught up with the idea TGA means it's gotta be a big western pick.

Y'all ain't ready for Koei-Tecmo or Bamco to hit you with somethin' weeb is all I'm sayin'.
To be fair Atlus opened with a weeb pick too (Joker)

It starts with weeb and it ends with weeb

osby

Smash Obsessed

It wouldn't surprise me, considering "Joker is a worldwide pick that makes absolute sense" was only a thing after his reveal.

Before that, Persona was that niche anime game with a snowball's chance in hell to be in Smash.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
To be fair Atlus opened with a weeb pick too (Joker)

It starts with weeb and it ends with weeb
It wouldn't surprise me, considering "Joker is a worldwide pick that makes absolute sense" was only a thing after his reveal.

Before that, Persona was that niche anime game with a snowball's chance in hell to be in Smash.
My thoughts exactly, TBH. In fact, none of the Fighter's Pass characters have been huge global shock value picks: Hero is maybe the only one that kinda fits that bill and really only in Japan. Otherwise, they're characters that really only appeal to a specific group.

I think people are really being closed minded with FP5 and only considering mega franchises.I honestly think it's anyone's game right now.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Seems to me like you just don't like Assassin's Creed. Which is perfectly fine, but it has zero bearing on its chances.
No, it doesn’t, but my point is that Assassin’s Creed does absolutely nothing special or notable beyond sell well, and it doesn’t sell well in Japan either. Yes it has crossed over with some Japanese franchises and done better than some other Western franchises, but not by much and its Japanese sales figures convey a less than stellar picture (and those most definitely matter more than US for these crossovers).

It’s not an influential or particularly notable series in any way beyond it sells well in the West; its a Western develop, recent series with little Japanese presence; and it has never been a popular choice for any part of the Smash fandom. I think it’s appropriately slept on by most of speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom