• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Terry also has 3K more dislikes than Banjo and Kazooie. Given the number of views to dislikes, that's a ratio of 3151:1 for Banjo and Kazooie and 718:1 for Terry. (Views to likes is 26:1 and 43:1, respectively.) That means, overall, the people that watched the Banjo-Kazooie stream are, on average, more pumped about the character than those that watched the Terry stream. More views doesn't mean more liked.

If I were to guess what is happening, based off of this info, I would say a large portion of those views are people thinking "Who the eff is this guy?" (Like me.) Even though Banjo and Kazooie are from a dead franchise and quite niche, Sakurai didn't feel the need to explain why they were in the game like he did for Terry ("Just because a game isn't popular..." or whatever he said).

Second, I guarantee more people watched the Banjo and Kazooie stream live than they did for Terry. I did, so I didn't feel a need to go watch it again. For those not willing to wake up super early for Terry, the video posted afterwards was probably easiest for them. (I'm basing this info off the states since the video is English and that's where one of the biggest markets is for Nintendo.) If BK's reveal was that early, I would bet that the stream's numbers would be higher. (I haven't looked at any other videos, so this is just an assessment made based off of these two videos.)
So are we just gonna ignore the fact Terry's presentation had 13k more likes or...?

D

Deleted member

Terry also has 3K more dislikes than Banjo and Kazooie. Given the number of views to dislikes, that's a ratio of 3151:1 for Banjo and Kazooie and 718:1 for Terry. (Views to likes is 26:1 and 43:1, respectively.) That means, overall, the people that watched the Banjo-Kazooie stream are, on average, more pumped about the character than those that watched the Terry stream. More views doesn't mean more liked.

If I were to guess what is happening, based off of this info, I would say a large portion of those views are people thinking "Who the eff is this guy?" (Like me.) Even though Banjo and Kazooie are from a dead franchise and quite niche, Sakurai didn't feel the need to explain why they were in the game like he did for Terry ("Just because a game isn't popular..." or whatever he said).

Second, I guarantee more people watched the Banjo and Kazooie stream live than they did for Terry. I did, so I didn't feel a need to go watch it again. For those not willing to wake up super early for Terry, the video posted afterwards was probably easiest for them. (I'm basing this info off the states since the video is English and that's where one of the biggest markets is for Nintendo.) If BK's reveal was that early, I would bet that the stream's numbers would be higher. (I haven't looked at any other videos, so this is just an assessment made based off of these two videos.)
Breaking news: video 2 million views has more likes and dislikes compared to video with 1 million views

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Fire Emblem because Nintendo loves it and as if we don't have enough of those already.
Three Houses is massively successful. You make it sound like Nintendo is pushing a series nobody wants, which is laughable.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
After the fan reaction to Corrin in Smash 4 (who I think is fun to play as and fight against), I doubt Fire Emblem is the most likely first party franchise to get a new rep...

D

Deleted member

Three Houses is massively successful. You make it sound like Nintendo is pushing a series nobody wants, which is laughable.
To be fair. Some years ago, we got Fates, which was a game we didn't need represented.

You know, compared to Three Houses, which we now want to see.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't so overrepresented with reps. I get Mario and Pokemon but never understood why Fire Emblem got so many characters close to those two...

Can't give others a chance like Donkey Kong, Metroid and Kirby apparently...

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't so overrepresented with reps. I get Mario and Pokemon but never understood why Fire Emblem got so many characters close to those two...
A rotating cast of over 900 characters can do that, especially when plenty are easy characters to add through sheer luck and circumstance

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly? Fire Emblem, as much as that may upset some people. I'd put Kirby as a close second and Pokemon as a "maybe", but that Sword/Shield spirit event really hurt the chances of that game getting a rep.
Kind of what I thought yeah. I would be very exited for Byleth myself honestly.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Cause it's got the largest cast of characters when compared to any Nintendo franchise and it's a major IP? Granted, Chrom's the only character since Marth to have gotten in without blatant luck but I'm not wrong

BlackInk

Smash Lord

Donkey Kong is literally an a canon extension of Mario.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You're right, we don't have enough, which is why Sakurai saw your post and decided to dedicate Fighter Pass 3 solely to 3H. Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude and Rhea will all join the battle starting from 2021
To be honest, frank and totally truthful; I would enjoy this.

D

Deleted member

If the they add an FE character that isn't Ferdinand Von Aegir they might as well not have added one at all
Though I will also accept it if it's Claude

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait.

WAIT!

Considering the video views discussion earlier...

A Steve For Smash animated moveset got over 1 million views and over 150k likes with only around 2k dislikes.

I rest my case.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Fire Emblem has over eight hundred named characters from sixteen mainline games, plus four spin offs. Something like Metroid doesn't compare.

It's a massive series that's built around combat, and has tons of characters that people genuinely like. I'd have thought we were well past the point of people thinking the size of a franchise should affect its roster count, but here we are.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You're right, we don't have enough, which is why Sakurai saw your post and decided to dedicate Fighter Pass 3 solely to 3H. Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude and Rhea will all join the battle starting from 2021
“Rhea Sits on the Competition!!”

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Donkey Kong is literally an a canon extension of Mario.
Other way around, when you really think about it

mariodkuniverse.png

Mario spun-off from Donkey Kong, which in turn produced spin-offs in the form of Yoshi and Wario Land (when then spun-off into WarioWare). DKC also spun-off from DK and produced a spin-off of its own in the form of Diddy Kong Racing, and Banjo and Conker spun-off from that

Behold, the extended Mario universe

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
To add to the earlier Assassin's Creed discussion, let's not forget that Nintendo teamed up with Ubisoft to create an entire Mario spin-off game featuring characters from one of Ubisoft's most popular series.

View attachment 248040

No, not a guest appearance or some DLC costume, an entire game. That is nothing to scoff at.

A few other Mario spin-off games I can think of that heavily feature other series are the Mario/Sonic Olympic Games and Fortune Street which prominently features DQ characters. And we all know what became of Sonic and DQ in Smash.

Ubisoft is definitely slept on and when you really think about it, Ezio in Smash just screams TGA reveal.
They stuck with Nintendo "Through the difficult times," and had launch titles on the Wii, Wii U, and Switch. They were on the strong 3rd party support train long before the Switch popularized it and never got off.

One fighting game I'd like to hype barely stands a chance of getting in BBTag, let alone Smash. It's basically if Samurai Shodown had a baby with Arcana Hearts, and Blazblue's Hakumen taught that baby how to fight. It is insanely satisfying to land combos and its system is designed so that it's easy to pull off and make up stuff on the fly.

But I'd love if it got to crossover with literally anything, just so more people can know about these two songs:

Last edited:

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
So are we just gonna ignore the fact Terry's presentation had 13k more likes or...?
That was going to be next question: have the numbers changed since this tweet? It looks like they have.
Breaking news: video 2 million views has more likes and dislikes compared to video with 1 million views
Assuming the numbers have changed, like CyberHyperPhoenix says they have (I'm not going to lie, I'm too lazy to go check...haha), then my point isn't as strong. However, your condescending comment is misplaced. It has nothing to do with what I was saying overall. You must have not got past the first line...

Assuming the tweet I quoted was frozen in time, then the one with more views is disliked more on average, which was my point.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Like the main characters of Three houses all wouldn't be "generic anime swordsmen"

Only one of them uses a sword and it doubles as a whip on top of having proficiencies in brawling and holy magic.
The others are an armoured axe unit, a feral lance user and a cunning archer with a wyvern, all who can use battalions.

You'd have to be creatively bankrupt to make them generic.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
What do you mean?
Hm, should've been more clear. We'll have two potential "kill dates" on our hands very soon: December 7th and December 12th. I think if there's any reveals in either of these, we'll probably hear from one of the insiders soon enough (especially on the 7th, which would likely mean a "Smash Ultimate 1-year Direct" or something like that).

If not, then... either FP5 will be a bizarre TGA surprise that somehow didn't leak or it's a January reveal.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm not against new Fire Emblem characters as long as they bring something new to the game. If they are still Marth clones/semiclones, then maybe I'd be against.
I know that Fire Emblem is misrepresented so far, with most characters being sword users when the series offers a wide variety of weapon and characters with unique skills instead, so I'm all for that, but please no more Marth clones.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
IMO I just want other Nintendo franchises to have a chance having another character and feel Fire Emblem has enough as it is. That's just me though feel free to disagree.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not against new Fire Emblem characters as long as they bring something new to the game. If they are still Marth clones/semiclones, then maybe I'd be against.
I know that Fire Emblem is misrepresented so far, with most characters being sword users when the series offers a wide variety of weapon and characters with unique skills instead, so I'm all for that, but please no more Marth clones.
I can safely say that any character that would realistically get in from Three Houses wouldn't be anything close to a Marth clone. Literally only one of the four main characters uses a sword, and it's a whip sword, so it wouldn't act anything like Falchion would.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hm, should've been more clear. We'll have two potential "kill dates" on our hands very soon: December 7th and December 12th. I think if there's any reveals in either of these, we'll probably hear from one of the insiders soon enough (especially on the 7th, which would likely mean a "Smash Ultimate 1-year Direct" or something like that).

If not, then... either FP5 will be a bizarre TGA surprise that somehow didn't leak or it's a January reveal.
Ah.
But honestly, I still low-key hope for a reveal this week. That'd be nice.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I can safely say that any character that would realistically get in from Three Houses wouldn't be anything close to a Marth clone. Literally only one of the four main characters uses a sword, and it's a whip sword, so it wouldn't act anything like Falchion would.
That would be cool. In fact, I like Corrin, I don't get why people hated him/her a lot when it's the most unique character from the franchise in the roster. Robin is unique too but I don't like his/her moveset too much.
Is it just really because it's an avatar and not an actual character?

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That would be cool. In fact, I like Corrin, I don't get why people hated him/her a lot when it's the most unique character from the franchise in the roster. Robin is unique too but I don't like his moveset too much.
Because Corrin in Fates is awfully written much like the rest of the game.
They're way better in the Warriors spin-off of all things

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That would be cool. In fact, I like Corrin, I don't get why people hated him/her a lot when it's the most unique character from the franchise in the roster. Robin is unique too but I don't like his/her moveset too much.
Because he’s written like a harem protagonist who has the depth of a cardboard cutout.

Of all the FE games Fates is probably the one I want represented in Smash the least but ah well what can you do.

Just how we get Lyn and Edelgard some day so it makes up for it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
People either hate Corrin because waaaah Fire Emblem got another character before my most wanted or because Fates is Very Divisive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom