• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Nah, I can't fw this.

Playing the character whose kit I'm comfortable with hits different than forcing myself to play a character who I'm attached but isn't fun to play.
I feel this. Sonic is that character for me. Love Sonic. His game play is very...meh. I'll mess with him from time to time though I cannot commit to playing him for long. I get bored.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm surprised that The King of Fighters XIV hasn't been ported to Switch yet. With Terry in Smash making some waves, now would be a good time to do so, and if XV wasn't initially planned for Switch, they're probably making plans for a port of that as well.
I doubt the Switch will be able to handle King of Fighters XV.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I doubt the Switch will be able to handle King of Fighters XV.
I don't see why it couldn't. It's been handling other ports just fine. They aren't the definitive versions to play but it handles it. If it handles Mk11, I'm pretty sure it'd handle the new KOF. It'd just not be the ideal version to play.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Most likely first party character / franchise to get a new character?
Xenoblade. Rex was shot down, but there’s Elma or even Mecha-Fiora (Chrom paved the way for the latter I’d say)

no, KOS-MOS doesn’t count as she’s from Xenosaga.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I feel this. Sonic is that character for me. Love Sonic. His game play is very...meh. I'll mess with him from time to time though I cannot commit to playing him for long. I get bored.
Huge, huge, huge facts.

Sonic for me is absolutely one of those characters. I like him, enjoy his games and spinoffs and such, but in Smash? His play style doesn't jive with me at all.

Similarly, you'll never catch me playing Little Mac ever again even though I'm attached to him and like him in his games.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Nah, I can't fw this.

Playing the character whose kit I'm comfortable with hits different than forcing myself to play a character who I'm attached but isn't fun to play.
I think it goes both ways to an extent honestly and I agree that I'll more often than not go with a character I enjoy using, though I'm mainly tackling it from the lens of adding/keeping a character instead of playing as them.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I liked Apex of the World more than God-Shattering Star. Maybe helps that the battle for the first one was more complicated and exciting for me than the second one. Also the place and the map for Apex of the World are more cooler in my opinion.

In any case both tracks are great.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
To hide opinions you dont agree with?
Or to avoid people you have conflict with. I doubt people often use the ignore button to cancel out all opposite opinions, form their own echo chamber and see only those who tend to agree with them.

There are, however, those who may have opposing or extreme views you just rather avoid all together due to the way they present their views. Avoiding vitriol and all that. Better to ignore those who you know grind your gears in the worst way to continue a semblance of civility in discussion overall. And some people don't like to discuss. They're igniters of conflict so it's best to just not see them ever and nip them in the bud.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nothing more hype than leitmotifs fam
I found it comparatively boring to other final boss themes because it just sounded to be me like Edge of Dawn instrumental.

Meanwhile, God Shattering Star got the Rudolf opera voice amd I'm suddenly in love with the soundtrack again.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I found it comparatively boring to other final boss themes because it just sounded to be me like Edge of Dawn instrumental.

Meanwhile, God Shattering Star got the Rudolf opera voice amd I'm suddenly in love with the soundtrack again.
Son of a ***** are you suggesting there was a point you didn't like the OST? That's a sin punishable by a Solo Cyril run

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
My buddy, my pal, my friend, literally no one is forced to pay attention to you. Some people just don't care about your opinions.
Then don't read my post. What's the point of announcing that you've put someone on ignore when you can still probably see their post if someone quotes it anyways?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To hide opinions you dont agree with?
More you're confrontational but never actually say anything worth of value despite everyone providing reasonable counterarguments to you. Given it's your entire shtick, it makes you very unpleasant to talk to. At least people like Opo and Gwen, people I disagree with on an other weekly basis, are far more enjoyable to talk to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That's the point really.
Take Edelgard's theme and make it grandiose and triumphant because you achieved the canon ending her goal as opposed to the other routes where it's more of a lament.

I'm a sucker for that stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Son of a ***** are you suggesting there was a point you didn't like the OST? That's a sin punishable by a Solo Cyril run
Hey look. If I go through listening to Fodlan winds six more times again, I'm muting the TV.

That's the point really.
Take Edelgard's theme and make it grandiose and triumphant because you achieved the canon ending her goal as opposed to the other routes where it's more of a lament.

I'm a sucker for that stuff.
Maybe that's the issue. I was playing Blue Lions route, and thought the theme didn't fit the mood for that map lol.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
More you're confrontational but never actually say anything worth of value. Given it's your entire shtick, it makes you very unpleasant to talk to. At least people like Opo and Gwen, people I disagree with on an other weekly basis, are far more enjoyable to talk to.
I dont sugarcoat my posts but I really dont see how I was being confrontational here.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Ooof this ain't it chief.

View attachment 248072
L!

Why would you say something so brave yet so controversial
Because I only speak facts, so anyone here to boo me on this is afraid!

IMG_20191122_130512.png

And that's why Apex of the World is the GOAT final boss theme, it's a better Edge of Dawn which was already great in the first place.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Saw a few things I wanted to comment on, but mainly on Spirit/AT stuff.

Smash is a character game obviously, but I don't think people should discount the unique abilities they have. It's the classic "stare at the CSS screen" mentality. Surely it's important to add characters people ask for, I agree. However, they've got to be different from one another and stand out, otherwise it's going to be boring.

Gameplay and choice of character, I think, are equally important.
--
Now, to Spirits and Assists.

I saw the discussion earlier about it, and I think both sides misunderstand each other. Folks who advocate for spirit upgrades are seeking for longtime fan wants to be satisfied despite their determined role in the game. I don't necessarily think it's unreasonable to still want a character when they aren't playable.

The part I don't get is when folks see it as a "likely" outcome, or that Sakurai would change the vision of DLC that he's had for 2 games, the vision that has already led to massive DLC sales, and the one that consistently feeds "the record" he's spoken about. Adding particular characters that don't expand the crossover will please certain people, yes...but why not add brand new content that plenty of folks can also enjoy? It’s not impossible but...why would they happen, and, a step further, likely at this point over more 3rd parties?

It's an idea. But it would be good to have justification besides, "People want characters". People also have shown in polls that they want more 3rd parties.

Like, this idea that the development team would have time to process the "backlash" of character not being playable...I fundamentally disagree with the notion that it'll matter. Let's face the facts: Isaac, for example, went from being entirely absent in Smash Wii U to Assist Trophy, Mii Outfit, and Spirit because of fan demand. Despite fan demand, Isaac is not playable. Geno in the past received a Mii Fighter costume, specifically because of fan demand. Sakurai has also blatantly referenced this in past interviews, that Geno is a popular pick. Despite the fan demand, Geno is not playable.

It's not as if the development team didn't know about these two. They absolutely did, otherwise they wouldn't have had the roles they currently do. It's the same thing with Lyn and Waluigi. They're popular characters, but despite that, they're not playable. I personally think part of the "upgrade" idea is that characters haven't truly "made it" unless they're playable, which is silly. It's like a...weird gatekeeping concept.

I guess my point is: This "backlash" that people think is going to get Geno in? Waluigi? They were given their roles despite the knowledge of popularity. Geno being popular isn't new. Sakurai was completely aware of it, yet didn't make him playable. Therefore, it would make sense to assume that more backlash wouldn't make a difference in terms of their playable status.

tl;dr Spirits probably shouldn't be seen as likely until one of them happens; in which case I doubt the team would only upgrade one character. Nevertheless, I suspect Nintendo will follow the same model that has made them large sums of the money...that being: 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Ok but Xenoblade 2 was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly **** up the integrity of Xenoblade?! And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of Xenoblade 2 is that it'll be around… forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone
I was thinking you were being sarcastic but then I saw Calamitas liked your post so I wasn't sure anymore. I'm still going with sarcasm though.

Either way, whether you like XCX and/or XC2 or not, it makes me pretty sad the series got kinda shafted when it comes to the greatest crossover game in history. 2 new tracks, some spirits and mii costumes is all it got. I really hope for some representation in the form of DLC..

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I was thinking you were being sarcastic but then I saw Calamitas liked your post so I wasn't sure anymore. I'm still going with sarcasm though.

Either way, whether you like XCX and/or XC2 or not, it makes me pretty sad the series got kinda shafted when it comes to the greatest crossover game in history. 2 new tracks, some spirits and mii costumes is all it got. I really hope for some representation in the form of DLC..
First of all it's a copypasta, I'm too young to have kids who are old enough to hang themselves in gas stations.

Second I was VERY disappointed

Ivander

Smash Legend
I've played through the entire thing, true ending and everything. Roy's generic as **** and nothing to write home about by any stretch of the imagination. Hell, Lilina or Guinevre would have made a better lord for the game than he did.
I never said he wasn't. But being generic doesn't stop you from having some great lines.

And besides, which main character isn't?

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
First of all it's a copypasta, I'm too young to have kids who are old enough to hang themselves in gas stations.
The part about having kids hanging themselves was obvious enough, I meant more so whether you were actually trying to take a piss at XC2. But I should've gathered it was a copypasta lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The part about having kids hanging themselves was obvious enough, I meant more so whether you were actually trying to take a piss at XC2. But I should've gathered it was a copypasta lol.
Tbf, every time I see Gwen talk about XC2, it's about how she's thankful she saved $60. It just means we get to laugh at her when Rex and Pyra get into Smash, like with :ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Tbf, every time I see Gwen talk about XC2, it's about how she's thankful she saved $60. It just means we get to laugh at her when Rec and Pyra get into Smash, like with :ultbanjokazooie:
I saved 80 euros asshole I had to cancel the collector's edition preorder I had
Are you just going to forget Noipoi Noipoi like this?
Noi's too young to go to gas stations by himself he's baby

Calamitas

Smash Champion

For the record, Gwen is, just like me, and as far as I know, one of the people that has the Right Opinion™ about Xenoblade 2, and sees it as the bad game that it is.

I never said he wasn't. But being generic doesn't stop you from having some great lines.

And besides, which main character isn't?
Alm, Celica, Hector, Lyn, Eirika and Ephraim, the three house leaders, and Ike from what I've heard.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
For the record, Gwen is, just like me, and as far as I know, one of the people that has the Right Opinion™ about Xenoblade 2, and sees it as the bad game that it is.
Well I sure as hell am not going to get into an argument about right and wrong opinions. To each their own. At least our tastes seem to lign up more when it comes to Fire Emblem, so that's nice I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom