• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
let's be fair though, Ray's costume is top tier

had some of the most love and care put into it, maybe even more than some fighters
Speaking of music, anyone else find it a little funny that the only modern misc series to get remixs were Snipperclips and Codename S.T.E.A.M.?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It really does allow me to pretend Ray is in Smash despite having no music. It's got everything he needs.
I used to think Ray was the best Mii costume because it pretty much is an entire Ray skin sans the tiny bit of space for Mii eyes, and then they put :nessecho: in the game. Black Knight is also a contender for best Mii costume, I'll give him 3rd just based off the fact that there's no face to make him look off.

EDIT: funny how i used sans in the sentence but didn't use the word to refer to the actual character sans

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I used to think Ray was the best Mii costume because it pretty much is an entire Ray skin sans the tiny bit of space for Mii eyes, and then they put :nessecho: in the game. Black Knight is also a contender for best Mii costume, I'll give him 3rd just based off the fact that there's no face to make him look off.

EDIT: funny how i used sans in the sentence but didn't use the word to refer to the actual character sans
If I had to name the best mii costume, it would obviously be:

SKX31

Smash Master
Waaaaait a sec,

Yea, the Chinese might not have to deal with NSO. Tencent has confirmed that WeChat Pay (Chinese PayPal... you know the drill) will be used. Yes, I know it's a likely sweetener, and I'm happy for the Chinese fans, who have reacted to the tune of "Shut up and take my money"...

But then I look at my 20 bucks a year and think "Bruh".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A part of me wishes all the Mii Costumes got the full character treatment. Even the odd ones like Flying Man, actual cat and Team Rocket

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Proto Man is a better contender than Black Knight just because of the Mii proportions.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
If we're getting nothing, I'd rather have the mii costumes. Let's me pretend that Sakurai cares about Custom Robo versus just giving us spirits.

Ah I actually meant Mii costumes regarding XC2 characters specifically, not so much in general. Sans and Ray for example are awesome as far as Mii costumes go, but it doesn't really help I don't enjoy playing Miis much. I still like seeing cool Mii outfits though, if that makes sense..

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
For the sake of Argument, let's say that Sony does lend a character to Smash (if only to make sure Microsoft doesn't get one over on it) who would it be?

Here in the west we tend to think of Kratos as Sony's Mascot but in the Japan the mascot is Toro Inue, a cartoon cat.

Of their other characters, that have appeal to both sides of the pond I'd say he best picks would be either Ratchet and Clank or Kat and Dusty from Gravity Rush.
I'd guess Kratos or Nathan Drake

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Don't fail her like PS Allstars did.
Surprising to see Ellen brought up. She's actually near the top of the characters I'd like to see from Sony and even I forgot to mention her this time.
While I've pretty much fallen away from Sony (and MS) from pretty early in that generation, Folklore was one of the games I did enjoy. Didn't live up to its potential in many ways, but was still a lovely game that hasn't gotten enough attention through the years.

That said, I actually kind of prefer the way Keats fights... But Ellen is definitely the one to go with (for... several reasons).

Big question would be, 'What would they go with for a stage?'
I love the quaint aesthetic of Doolin (which is probably one of my strongest and fondest memories of the game, honestly), so that would be my preference. It feels like it has to be something from the Netherworld though, so you can actually take advantage of the fantastical elements.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I kind of hope F5 is somebody people aren't discussing much. I wanna be surprised.
I'm keeping my eye on Adol Christin for FP5 now that Hayabusa has been shot down. Its funny that Falcom gets almost no discussion here despite being one of the few classic Japanese game developers left, them creating the ARPG genre, and Ys being 30+ years old and still selling decently well to this day.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just an update on that SNK essay that I promised to write if Terry ever got confirmed:

At size 12 font and double-spaced, it is currently over 24 pages. I guess I went overboard but everything is split up nicely into their own section so it is very easy to read. The main sections are:
  • SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • 3 separate sections devoted to their games (pre Neo Geo games, Neo Geo games, and a whole section devoted to KoF)
  • Popularity in Mexico/China
  • Crossovers/collaborations with other companies
  • [Possibly? Not sure yet] A section on random trivia of SNK
  • Closing comments
  • References

Also here is another sneak peak:

1573666979956.png

Expect me to post the finished version here on Friday (or Saturday at the absolute latest).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
At size 12 font and double-spaced, it is currently over 24 pages. I guess I went overboard
Oh, you guess?

Really though, I'm very curious to read it. Any specific section on some of their most popular individual characters, though? Or is it entirely focused on the company itself?

I'm not saying that because I'd love to read a whole section on Kyo so people will give the boy the love he deserves or anything.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Oh, you guess?

Really though, I'm very curious to read it. Any specific section on some of their most popular individual characters, though? Or is it entirely focused on the company itself?

I'm not saying that because I'd love to read a whole section on Kyo so people will give the boy the love he deserves or anything.
Now that you mention it I will probably just scrap the trivia section and have a section devoted to their most popular characters. I'd be easier to do, more interesting/relevant to readers, and I was planning to spread out most of the trivia throughout the essay anyway.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Just an update on that SNK essay that I promised to write if Terry ever got confirmed:

At size 12 font and double-spaced, it is currently over 24 pages. I guess I went overboard but everything is split up nicely into their own section so it is very easy to read. The main sections are:
  • SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • 3 separate sections devoted to their games (pre Neo Geo games, Neo Geo games, and a whole section devoted to KoF)
  • Closing comments
  • References

Expect me to post the finished version here on Friday (or Saturday at the absolute latest).
There better be 4 pages dedicated to how Sakurai is an Iori main

D

Deleted member

• SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • Closing comments
  • References

Looking forward to that!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
There better be 4 pages dedicated to how Sakurai is an Iori main
Don't worry I have 6 pages for this.

For real though I actually do mention this in the KoF '95 section. Expect other bits of trivia like this for most of the other sections as well. I even have a paragraph on Tetsuo K9999 which you can see at the top of the pic I posted.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
For the sake of Argument, let's say that Sony does lend a character to Smash (if only to make sure Microsoft doesn't get one over on it) who would it be?

Here in the west we tend to think of Kratos as Sony's Mascot but in the Japan the mascot is Toro Inue, a cartoon cat.

Of their other characters, that have appeal to both sides of the pond I'd say he best picks would be either Ratchet and Clank or Kat and Dusty from Gravity Rush.
There's no chance it's anyone aside from Kratos or Nathan Drake.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Surprising to see Ellen brought up. She's actually near the top of the characters I'd like to see from Sony and even I forgot to mention her this time.
Ellen can't catch a break. Even her fans are as amnesia stricken about herself as she is, godammit! lmao

Folklore was one of the games I did enjoy. Didn't live up to its potential in many ways, but was still a lovely game that hasn't gotten enough attention through the years.
Agreed.

That said, I actually kind of prefer the way Keats fights... But Ellen is definitely the one to go with (for... several reasons).
I also prefer how Herve's dying wish Keats fights in Folklore, but Super Smash needs a true summoner type like Ellen and I'm certain that she would be more fun than him there at least.

Big question would be, 'What would they go with for a stage?'
I love the quaint aesthetic of Doolin (which is probably one of my strongest and fondest memories of the game, honestly), so that would be my preference. It feels like it has to be something from the Netherworld though, so you can actually take advantage of the fantastical elements.
It's odd how an eerie, remote and realistic seaside setting with dull colors and shades of sepia tone can be pleasing in a gorgeous, whimsical and brightly colored game like Folklore, but I agree once more. Although I believe that an Endless Corridor stage would be the best option. Besides having a stage based on questioning the meaning of life and the afterlife in a children's party game being amusing af, I like the prospect of getting another level that randomly generates each time its selected. Endless Corridor was also deliberately annoying as hell but that was the point and why it stood out to me.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
  • SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • Closing comments
  • References
KOF 2001's section is longer than "Let us never speak of this again"? :4pacman:

That aside, it's great to hear that you're almost done! I'm curious to look into what you think of their Chinese owners as well as SNK's company culture during the classic era. I've read so much organizational theory during my college days that I'm incredibly curious about those things.

(EDIT: Goofed the first time around.)

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Oof. Off topic, but Sword and Shield absolutely MUST tank to teach GameFreak that it's not ok to cheap out just to cash in on the Pokémon brand.
With all the controversy surrounding Sword and Shield, this will the first Pokemon generation I skipped out on EVER.

I'd doubt Microsoft would put two of their characters in the same pass but if Smash speculation has taught us anything, it's that patterns are only good for cross-stitching and 70's wallpaper.

Though it would be kinda nutty with Cheif being in Smash and Microsoft's own fighting game having to do with The Arbiter. Like PSASBR all over again.
There is always the saying (now paraphrased): "Patterns are meant to be broken."
I also know the perfect tagline for our space spartan if he gets in: "Master Chief finishes the fight!"

The best pick(s) for a Sony character(s) in my mind are Ratchet and Clank.

• SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • Closing comments
  • References

Do I have those stream videos again?

May include glitches of various degrees of hilarity or annoyance.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the reviews are in and the new Pokemon themselves seem to be positive talking points with the dead-eyed cutscenes and the graphical farts being low points.

Let's hope Game Freak turn the ship around and don't rest on their laurels. We gave Fallout 4 a break for all the steps it took back and then 76 happened.

Still, if the new Mon themselves are good, that's more content for Smash speculation.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Well the reviews are in and the new Pokemon themselves seem to be positive talking points with the dead-eyed cutscenes and the graphical farts being low points.

Let's hope Game Freak turn the ship around and don't rest on their laurels. We gave Fallout 4 a break for all the steps it took back and then 76 happened.

Still, if the new Mon themselves are good, that's more content for Smash speculation.
I'm not buying the game as of now because of no Natdex, but I've promised to myself that if (and only if) they re-implement it via an update that I'll go and buy it as soon as I'm able. I'll still keep that promise even if the rest of the game isn't that great. If you're fine with no natdex and still want to buy the game, sure! That's fine, I'll let you enjoy it. But if you're as upset as I and most others are you absolutely should not pick it up, because if you do so then your complaining means absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
None of the new Pokemon are good Smash material, except maybe Grookey's final form. That's the only one that really fits.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
None of the new Pokemon are good Smash material, except maybe Grookey's final form. That's the only one that really fits.
A. Dude, spoilers. Some of us are still exicted to play it, hard as it is to belive.
B. Ivysaur is not only playable in Smash, it's my main. I think there's more leeway than you're giving it credit.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
A. Dude, spoilers. Some of us are still exicted to play it, hard as it is to belive.
B. Ivysaur is not only playable in Smash, it's my main. I think there's more leeway than you're giving it credit.
It's not like I said what the Pokemon actually are. lol all I said was that they don't fit in.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Grookey is grass type. Good luck enjoying the game now, haha!
You're a bit too late to tell me that. Game Freak already spoiled that for me so the game was ruined as soon as I knew about the starters.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
STARTERS EVOLVE?

Wtf yo put that under spoilers

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Anyway, how about a Sgt. Cortez meme post?

Me: It's Time to Split!
Everyone:
I'll get the next one.gif

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
STARTERS EVOLVE?

Wtf yo put that under spoilers
You joke but I like finding out stuff myself.

This might have been the first generation that the starters never evolved for all we knew.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
You joke but I like finding out stuff myself.

This might have been the first generation that the starters never evolved for all we knew.
Yes, the first game where starters don't evolve.
Also the first game that doesn't have legendary pokemon on the box.
Oh, and you can't even actually catch pokemon in this one. In fact there's barely any pokemon in the game at all.

Waitaminute, this is just Hey You! Pikachu.

D

Deleted member

Morning everyone.

• SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • Closing comments
  • References

DEFINITELY READING THIS! Thanks Sari Sari !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom