• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Even if it's not much of a spoiler, saying the evolutions aren't good fits for Smash does imply features or lack thereof.

D

Deleted member

Just an update on that SNK essay that I promised to write if Terry ever got confirmed:

At size 12 font and double-spaced, it is currently over 24 pages. I guess I went overboard but everything is split up nicely into their own section so it is very easy to read. The main sections are:
  • SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • 3 separate sections devoted to their games (pre Neo Geo games, Neo Geo games, and a whole section devoted to KoF)
  • Popularity in Mexico/China
  • Crossovers/collaborations with other companies
  • [Possibly? Not sure yet] A section on random trivia of SNK
  • Closing comments
  • References

Also here is another sneak peak:

Expect me to post the finished version here on Friday (or Saturday at the absolute latest).
Be sure to post it in the thread when finished. Also tell that one girl on the right she has a hole in her jeans.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
It may be a joke, but it would be hilarious if something like that happens for real.
I once made a moveset for Dust Mite from Re-Volt,

I think that with some creativity you can make a car into a fighter as long as the source material allows that (but please no excite bots ok Sakurai? That game doesn't exist)
What moveset are you talking about?

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
None of the new Pokemon are good Smash material, except maybe Grookey's final form. That's the only one that really fits.
Just give us a TCG rep that has cards featuring the new Pokemon.
You get multiple new Pokemon repped in one fighter, we get a new genre repped, and the whole thing feels more fresh.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm getting Sword/Shield even with the controversy, because I have a Living Pokedex, that I intend to maintain, and I'm not risking them shutting down the Bank while my collection is still in it. When Pokemon Home comes out, my collection is getting moved forward and I'll need current gen games to be able to use ANY of my Pokemon in.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
What moveset are you talking about?
I think I mentioned it time ago but I never published it. It's sketchy and on paper only, but I definitely did a moveset for that car.

Re-volt is about sentient RC cars, so even if they look like regular car models, they're like characters.
Dust Mite appeared on some official artworks of the game (boxart, loading screen) so I guess it would work as the face of the game.

Speaking of moveset, the car can jump, flip itself, and use a variety of items inspired by Mario Kart. Grabs are done by using the electric field to stun the enemy; it can drop fake pickups as mines, and fireworks as projectiles; it has a shockwave that can push opponents away, and... an oil trap to let tripping come back from Brawl (yeah!).
It can drop huge and heavy metal balls, that could be used as a smash attack similar to Villager's bowling ball.
It can turn into a bomb and explode into the enemy (maybe for the recovery), or apply the explosive status to the enemy on contact similar to the sticky bomb.
The main problem is, how would it hold items? In that old moveset, I used the antenna to hold items, though it's not something that it does in the original game.

Yeah, it's not really an easy "character" to adapt as a fighter, but with some effort I think it's definitely possible... I like when Smash introduces unexpected WTF fighters and I'd like something like this in Smash for real.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm getting Sword/Shield even with the controversy, because I have a Living Pokedex, that I intend to maintain, and I'm not risking them shutting down the Bank while my collection is still in it. When Pokemon Home comes out, my collection is getting moved forward and I'll need current gen games to be able to use ANY of my Pokemon in.
You could buy it used.

D

Deleted member

I'm getting it because I lost a bet

But will have fun with it regardless because what else am I supposed to do with a game?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Eventhubs did a little article about Darkstalkers recently.

While certainly there isn't any Darkstalker game being relevant outside of the last game that is still played like street fighter 3,, it's undeniable that the darkstalkers is a very recognizable and important part of capcom, for some friggin reason, for a series was only active for 3 years and havent got any new game in decades. sitting alongside Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, and a couple of other series that are record breakers.

While unlikely, i honestly don't think that morrigan is such an imposible character like would be Spencer from bionic commando, Strider Hiryu, Asura's wraths, or other more smaller but beloved capcom series...

Event Hubs Article.

Also a Video analyzing teh series importance and legacy (Warning, one hour long)

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I personally hope Pokémon Home works kinda like a Official Pokémon Showdown, that'd make up for the smaller Pokedex in the mainline games (IMO).

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I wish I had any sort of hope for Pokémon this generation. Looks like I'll be sitting it out entirely. Ah well. Gives me more time to dedicate to Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory while I wait for Digimon Survive next year.

Troykv

Smash Master
Just an update on that SNK essay that I promised to write if Terry ever got confirmed:

At size 12 font and double-spaced, it is currently over 24 pages. I guess I went overboard but everything is split up nicely into their own section so it is very easy to read. The main sections are:
  • SNK's history
  • Their systems
  • 3 separate sections devoted to their games (pre Neo Geo games, Neo Geo games, and a whole section devoted to KoF)
  • Popularity in Mexico/China
  • Crossovers/collaborations with other companies
  • [Possibly? Not sure yet] A section on random trivia of SNK
  • Closing comments
  • References

Also here is another sneak peak:

Expect me to post the finished version here on Friday (or Saturday at the absolute latest).
I'm waiting for it :D

Latin American BTW

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eventhubs did a little article about Darkstalkers recently.

While certainly there isn't any Darkstalker game being relevant outside of the last game that is still played like street fighter 3,, it's undeniable that the darkstalkers is a very recognizable and important part of capcom, for some friggin reason, for a series was only active for 3 years and havent got any new game in decades. sitting alongside Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, and a couple of other series that are record breakers.

While unlikely, i honestly don't think that morrigan is such an imposible character like would be Spencer from bionic commando, Strider Hiryu, Asura's wraths, or other more smaller but beloved capcom series...

Event Hubs Article.

Also a Video analyzing teh series importance and legacy (Warning, one hour long)

I appreciate the dedication fans have for the series. Really goes to show how much they care when Capcom doesn't.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Dude I loved Timesplitters 2 and 3 SOOOO much. My friends and I used to say his catchphrase all the time!
Cortez is such a goofy, socially awkward dude in Future Perfect and I love him for it!

It's Time To Split!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I had a dream last night that Nintendo themselves leaked Heihachi for Fighter 5 with an office video where testers were playing as Heihachi in the background.
Could this be a premonition?
Probably not. As likely as I think Heihachi is, I don't think we're getting him right after Terry.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I had a dream last night that Nintendo themselves leaked Heihachi for Fighter 5 with an office video where testers were playing as Heihachi in the background.
Could this be a premonition?
Probably not. As likely as I think Heihachi is, I don't think we're getting him right after Terry.
But Ben.

:ultjoker::ulthero:

Both JRPG.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly, I'll probably end up with Pokemon as well. I adored the games when I was younger, but I don't think I've ever really held to them to a super high standard. My biggest disappointment with Sword/Shield is the lack of side content and the lack of a post game. If the titles had that (and maybe another 50 Pokemon haha), I'd have probably been there day one without too many worries. It's Pokemon at the end of the day, outside of the Gold/Silver and the third titles, they've never been super high quality games filled with content TBH.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I'm frankly just not impressed enough to consider getting Pokémon Sword and Shield. Nothing about this game screams anything better than what I already have with Pokémon, and I really just don't think I'm the target audience anymore. I've also seen quite a bit of the game and am usually left thinking "Really?" half the time. At best, the games look okay, but still too mindless for me to really care about them. At worst they look downright bad. I'd say more, but I'd rather those who are anti-leaks just not know until they get it.

The whole controversy is a pittance, though, compared to what'll happen with Pokémon Home when that comes out and people en masse realize that, unless they're in the Galar Dex or otherwise permitted to enter SwSh, they're stuck there for until the next game that comes out to feature them releases. I've personally set my expectations for it to be rock bottom: at best, nothing more than a semi-free trade/storage system. Worst case scenario is a ransom service designed to prey on people who grew attached to their Pokémon (the choice is pay money or let your friends get killed at a random time, sounds like a ransom service even if Pokémon are just lines of code with hexadecimal values), which would be their problem, but the thing is that the games really want you to bond with your Pokémon, care about them as if they were pets, real friends, true companions. Sure, Pokémon Bank also deleted them if you didn't pay, but Bank at least wasn't a ransom service because XY, ORAS, SuMo, and USUM were all safe zones. Now you have to pay money for any Pokémon that's not in allowed into Sword and Shield, until they get lucky and they're allowed in the next games. Maybe Home will have content so your Pokémon aren't rotting in prison but they certainly would've spoken up about it by now, so I really don't think that's the case.

Of course, Game Freak might not be the best at developing games, but The Pokémon Company is really to blame for creating this endless cycle of Pokémon year after year. Hell, some of the blame might even be on Nintendo themselves. Either way, the fact that they've only announced the biggest issue (Dexit) in the English E3 livestream is incredibly shifty, as if this is something Nintendo didn't want most players to know (regardless of whether or not even the people at E3 were meant to know this. I'll assume they did, as this would be a massive scam otherwise on par with the kind of antics I'd expect out of Activision, EA or Bethesda).

It's really to the point that at least Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude would have had their games out and released to widespread acclaim. This has been the most controversial generation to date, and I'd much rather (IF we get a DLC Pokémon) it's from Johto (but more unique than Pichu), Hoenn or Unova. Hell, Pokémon like Meowth or Lycanroc would be great. But I don't feel like a Galarian Pokémon would've warranted its spot.

If you still want SwSh, go ahead, get them. Maybe there's a Pokémon there I'd have loved, maybe there's a non-starter Pokémon there that'd would've been perfect for Smash. Maybe even one of the starters would be way more interesting and better for Smash I'm not giving enough credit. But right now I'm not impressed, and I really hope that 2020 has no Pokémon game so that the next game can be a substantial improvement. Otherwise I might skip another generation (though Gen 7 I only skipped because my 3DS is modded and I didn't want to get banned). I'm not even gonna ask for National Dex, just, give them more time to make something. Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Three Houses, and Smash Ultimate are all fantastic, amazing games because they got the time and manpower needed to work with such a massive project. The next Pokémon games don't even have to be a substantial improvement, just AN improvement. Unfortunately, there's not really any conceivable way to do that, because with the omega machine Pokémon has become it means that everything has to come out on schedule or everything gets wrecked.

Don't wanna open? Or just need a summary? I won't get Sword and Shield yet because I don't think they look good enough, relative to the Pokémon experience I can already have. I think the situation right now will reach the tipping point when Home, which I have no faith in, launches. I think Game Freak, while not blameless, is not as much at fault as TPCi or maybe even Nintendo. I'd take a 3H rep over a Swsh rep. It's fine to want Swsh or a Pokémon from Galar but I just want the next game to come out in 2021, maybe 2022, even if it won't happen.

Heihachi'd be great, but I think he's probably either post-pass or his costume was delayed instead of deliberately removed. Dunno if he'd be Fighter Pass 5, regardless of when that comes.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I have no intention on giving the Pokemon Company or Gamefreak a single cent after these past few months.

That being said, if you plan on getting Sword and Shield, go for it! I'm not your gamer dad, if it looks fun, have fun with it. :bobomb:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please keep in mind that this is the Newcomer Discussion thread. Unless you are discussing potential SwSh newcomers, SwSh discussion/grievances doesn’t really belong here and belongs in the Social Thread and/or the Pokémon Center of the site.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
What signature moves or Tekken concepts could fit into Heihachi’s moveset? I don’t know anything about Tekken and currently only view Heihachi’s potential as Ganondorf’s moveset with Ryu’s model.

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
I'm frankly just not impressed enough to consider getting Pokémon Sword and Shield. Nothing about this game screams anything better than what I already have with Pokémon, and I really just don't think I'm the target audience anymore. I've also seen quite a bit of the game and am usually left thinking "Really?" half the time. At best, the games look okay, but still too mindless for me to really care about them. At worst they look downright bad. I'd say more, but I'd rather those who are anti-leaks just not know until they get it.

The whole controversy is a pittance, though, compared to what'll happen with Pokémon Home when that comes out and people en masse realize that, unless they're in the Galar Dex or otherwise permitted to enter SwSh, they're stuck there for until the next game that comes out to feature them releases. I've personally set my expectations for it to be rock bottom: at best, nothing more than a semi-free trade/storage system. Worst case scenario is a ransom service designed to prey on people who grew attached to their Pokémon (the choice is pay money or let your friends get killed at a random time, sounds like a ransom service even if Pokémon are just lines of code with hexadecimal values), which would be their problem, but the thing is that the games really want you to bond with your Pokémon, care about them as if they were pets, real friends, true companions. Sure, Pokémon Bank also deleted them if you didn't pay, but Bank at least wasn't a ransom service because XY, ORAS, SuMo, and USUM were all safe zones. Now you have to pay money for any Pokémon that's not in allowed into Sword and Shield, until they get lucky and they're allowed in the next games. Maybe Home will have content so your Pokémon aren't rotting in prison but they certainly would've spoken up about it by now, so I really don't think that's the case.

Of course, Game Freak might not be the best at developing games, but The Pokémon Company is really to blame for creating this endless cycle of Pokémon year after year. Hell, some of the blame might even be on Nintendo themselves. Either way, the fact that they've only announced the biggest issue (Dexit) in the English E3 livestream is incredibly shifty, as if this is something Nintendo didn't want most players to know (regardless of whether or not even the people at E3 were meant to know this. I'll assume they did, as this would be a massive scam otherwise on par with the kind of antics I'd expect out of Activision, EA or Bethesda).

It's really to the point that at least Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude would have had their games out and released to widespread acclaim. This has been the most controversial generation to date, and I'd much rather (IF we get a DLC Pokémon) it's from Johto (but more unique than Pichu), Hoenn or Unova. Hell, Pokémon like Meowth or Lycanroc would be great. But I don't feel like a Galarian Pokémon would've warranted its spot.

If you still want SwSh, go ahead, get them. Maybe there's a Pokémon there I'd have loved, maybe there's a non-starter Pokémon there that'd would've been perfect for Smash. Maybe even one of the starters would be way more interesting and better for Smash I'm not giving enough credit. But right now I'm not impressed, and I really hope that 2020 has no Pokémon game so that the next game can be a substantial improvement. Otherwise I might skip another generation (though Gen 7 I only skipped because my 3DS is modded and I didn't want to get banned). I'm not even gonna ask for National Dex, just, give them more time to make something. Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Three Houses, and Smash Ultimate are all fantastic, amazing games because they got the time and manpower needed to work with such a massive project. The next Pokémon games don't even have to be a substantial improvement, just AN improvement. Unfortunately, there's not really any conceivable way to do that, because with the omega machine Pokémon has become it means that everything has to come out on schedule or everything gets wrecked.

Don't wanna open? Or just need a summary? I won't get Sword and Shield yet because I don't think they look good enough, relative to the Pokémon experience I can already have. I think the situation right now will reach the tipping point when Home, which I have no faith in, launches. I think Game Freak, while not blameless, is not as much at fault as TPCi or maybe even Nintendo. I'd take a 3H rep over a Swsh rep. It's fine to want Swsh or a Pokémon from Galar but I just want the next game to come out in 2021, maybe 2022, even if it won't happen.

Heihachi'd be great, but I think he's probably either post-pass or his costume was delayed instead of deliberately removed. Dunno if he'd be Fighter Pass 5, regardless of when that comes.
You’re going to be disappointed then since the Diamond/Pearl remake has been leaked for next year and USw/USh has been floating around a couple weeks for the following year since US/UM didn’t bode too well one year after the original versions of their games released.

I’m hoping that since we are getting a Sw/Sh spirit event it means that we won’t be getting an 8th gen two in Ultimate. No offense to people that love the new generation but personally I could do without another Pokemon rep in-general due to so many third parties being out there and much more deserving first parties IMO deserve the spot first. This is only further cemented to me due to how low effort TPC and Gamefreak have gotten along with directly lying to their fans just to save face (new Pokémon models/animations, still not telling Japanese fans about Dexit, bare minimum effort for their first console game, and many more) which drops them down to the same levels as Bethesda, ActiBlizz, Konami, Ubisoft, 2K, and EA. I know some people won’t like that claim but it’s the truth with how GF’s behavior has been both towards its fans and treating its developers.

In other words, instead of adding an 8th gen to support Sh/Sw, we should see other more deserving first parties like Dixie, Waluigi, Gooigi, King Boo, etc etc. Just my opinion though.

KillerCage

Smash Master

Besides the controversy and what you stated, one major reason why I'm not getting either Sword or Shield is that they have nothing new to offer to me.
Dynamaxing is a repackaging of Mega-evolutions which were replaced by Z-moves in Sun and Moon.
Even a good story (like in Sun & Moon) will not be enough to get me into Generation 8 and this is coming from someone who has been playing these games since Pokemon Yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom