• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
For once, my gut has been consistent for two days in a row.
Tracer. I'm calling it.
Orange. Female. Modern. Gunner.
And Blizzard HAS commented on Overwatch in Smash, like Microsoft did with Banjo.
And confirmed by credible leakers to not be in.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Also, the thing about Blizzard being open to adding their characters to Smash was only a month or so ago. You'd need at least several months to be able to do that, part of which is just waiting for the legal team to give the go ahead. They wouldn't announce her this soon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's strange how a company implying they're not currently involved with Smash has now been taken to mean they are currently involved with Smash.

Just because one or two people gave misleading answers doesn't mean all the other examples of devs indicating a lack of inclusion should be disregarded. That's building the precedent on exceptions. The vast majority are legitimately being candid.

D

Deleted member

A while ago already. Not 100% sure that this was Sabi, mind you, but I am 100% certain that Tracer was on Ye Grande Olde Liste of Deconfirmedeth Charactereth.
I too believe that.

In other news, the Pokemon launch event at Tokyo was cancelled. Guess the ****show's gonna thicken, eh?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I too believe that.

In other news, the Pokemon launch event at Tokyo was cancelled. Guess the ****show's gonna thicken, eh?
Oof. Off topic, but Sword and Shield absolutely MUST tank to teach GameFreak that it's not ok to cheap out just to cash in on the Pokémon brand.

D

Deleted member

Oof. Off topic, but Sword and Shield absolutely MUST tank to teach GameFreak that it's not ok to cheap out just to cash in on the Pokémon brand.
Tanking is a powerful message. IT's like the war cry of a thousands Spartans.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
It doesn’t matter if Little Big Planet is niche or not, what matters is that the series is directly owned by a competitor much more hostile to Nintendo than Microsoft is, as well as the fact that the series has never been associated with Nintendo and is a 1st Party face of PlayStation. That alone makes it borderline impossible for it to join Smash no matter how popular it is.
Oh lol honestly, I got so caught up in saying if LBP was niche or not and why it doesn't matter as it won't with other DLC characters, that the fact it's owned by Sony completely skipped my mind. Apologies! Lmfao.

As for a Tekken Representative in Smash, as you guys could likely tell from my Ava I'm all for it. Though I'm routing for Kazuya over Heihachi, Heihachi is the one to deserve it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looks like there's a debate going on, what did I miss?

D

Deleted member

****'s heating up again...and I'm here at the school library freezing to death.

PsychoJosh

So... if it isn't any of those characters then it's gotta be Master Chief.

Everything seems to be pointing to it. If Chief gets in then I guess he would be the de-facto Microsoft character and Banjo would be the Rareware character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nothing wrong with that. :215: I preferred Chief over the Banjo/Steve arguments anyway.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman

Everything seems to be pointing to it. If Chief gets in then I guess he would be the de-facto Microsoft character and Banjo would be the Rareware character.
What does Master Chief have pointing to him?

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
As long as they come out with marketable designs, their games won't fail.

Kids will continue to eat it up, and merchandising will continue to swallow any slight dips that may occur in profit for the games themselves.

Unfortunately, I don't see them switching to a slower, more deliberate release schedule to create better games, because I really don't think they'd ever see enough of a profit increase in doing that to compensate. The only path that I could see causing them to switch gears would be dropping major releases entirely for a while and turning the series into a GaaS experience, but even that is a gamble (and obviously, not particularly desirable for consumers).

Edit: And as it relates to Smash, if there's any indication Pokemon does need a boost, I expect the odds of promo DLC being fast-tracked to shoot up.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

What does Master Chief have pointing to him?
Well earlier this year someone with ties to Microsoft's gaming division mentioned something about "Mario on Playstation" as a coy hint to something they might be doing. Some leaker on resetera also said that something was coming to the Switch which 'wasn't even possible' some time ago, possibly referring to the possibility of Master Chief Collection being released on Switch. Plus, the VGAs (where Joker was announced last year) is taking place at the Microsoft Theater in LA this year. With all this and the fact that Microsoft is getting really buddy-buddy with Nintendo (releasing Cuphead, Super Lucky's Tale and Ori on Switch, as well as Halo/Gears of War-themed skins for Minecraft on Switch) there's at least several indications that it might be leading to this.

Last edited:

JustMyself13

Smash Journeyman
Well earlier this year someone with ties to Microsoft's gaming division mentioned something about "Mario on Playstation" as a coy hint to something they might be doing. Some leaker on resetera also said that something was coming to the Switch which 'wasn't even possible' some time ago, possibly referring to the possibility of Master Chief Collection being released on Switch. Plus, the VGAs (where Joker was announced last year) is taking place at the Microsoft Theater in LA this year. With all this and the fact that Microsoft is getting really buddy-buddy with Nintendo (releasing Cuphead, Super Lucky's Tale and Ori on Switch, as well as Halo/Gears of War-themed skins for Minecraft on Switch) there's at least several indications that it might be leading to this.
Haven’t the Game Awards always been held at the Microsoft Theater though? Also I’m not sure that multiple people would know about Master Chief in Smash so ahead of time when we usually only get character leaks a week before they’re revealed.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I'd doubt Microsoft would put two of their characters in the same pass but if Smash speculation has taught us anything, it's that patterns are only good for cross-stitching and 70's wallpaper.

Though it would be kinda nutty with Chief being in Smash and Microsoft's own fighting game having to do with The Arbiter. Like PSASBR all over again.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I'd doubt Microsoft would put two of their characters in the same pass but if Smash speculation has taught us anything, it's that patterns are only good for cross-stitching and 70's wallpaper.

Though it would be kinda nutty with Cheif being in Smash and Microsoft's own fighting game having to do with The Arbiter. Like PSASBR all over again.
Well the thing is, I would think Microsoft would want a character they had a hand in creating as part of their brand identity. Yes, they own Banjo, but they know that they only acquired him from Nintendo after the fact. I think he should've been added back in Melee. Perhaps the reason they were so eager to let Banjo in is because they felt the same way. He is, for all intents and purposes, a Nintendo character, as he debuted on their system and was published by them.

Chief, though, he is pure Microsoft. It'd be kind of unprecedented for Nintendo to have the mascot of a competitor in their game, and would serve as a new gap being bridged. Possibly even open the door to Sony mascots if they were willing to play ball?

My wanted 3rd Party rep is the Octane car from Rocket League.
And again I say unto you, no car gets in before Nintendo's own vroomy lad. I've actually been busy drawing up a moveset for him.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I kind of hope F5 is somebody people aren't discussing much. I wanna be surprised.
"You smell a Wumpus"

Also: Cars? Pfft. That's weak. Battleships are where it's at.

Per Microsoft: Just give us a Clippy AT.
I know ATs being added hasn't really been a thing, but a Clippy AT that interrupts the game to ask, "It looks like you're trying to recover? Would you like help?" (and the like) would just work so well.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Well the thing is, I would think Microsoft would want a character they had a hand in creating as part of their brand identity. Yes, they own Banjo, but they know that they only acquired him from Nintendo after the fact. I think he should've been added back in Melee. Perhaps the reason they were so eager to let Banjo in is because they felt the same way. He is, for all intents and purposes, a Nintendo character, as he debuted on their system and was published by them.

Chief, though, he is pure Microsoft. It'd be kind of unprecedented for them to have the mascot of a competitor in their game, and would serve as a new gap being bridged. Possibly even open the door to Sony mascots if they were willing to play ball?

And again I say unto you, no car gets in before Nintendo's own vroomy lad. I've actually been busy drawing up a moveset for him.

Nonsense my dear Josh, i demand Octane for Smash! And that is final!
(Wouldn't mind F Type.)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For the sake of Argument, let's say that Sony does lend a character to Smash (if only to make sure Microsoft doesn't get one over on it) who would it be?

Here in the west we tend to think of Kratos as Sony's Mascot but in the Japan the mascot is Toro Inue, a cartoon cat.

Of their other characters, that have appeal to both sides of the pond I'd say he best picks would be either Ratchet and Clank or Kat and Dusty from Gravity Rush.

PsychoJosh

For the sake of Argument, let's say that Sony does lend a character to Smash (if only to make sure Microsoft doesn't get one over on it) who would it be?

Here in the west we tend to think of Kratos as Sony's Mascot but in the Japan the mascot is Toro Inue, a cartoon cat.

Of their other characters, that have appeal to both sides of the pond I'd say he best picks would be either Ratchet and Clank or Kat and Dusty from Gravity Rush.
Parappa would be the most unique one to pick. I'd enjoy Ratchet, Jak or Sly Cooper as well.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

I've said it before, but Kratos seems like the obvious choice while Toro is the "This is all Sony gave us" or "We pretty much had to add them to get a character we actually wanted" type of choice.

Though all feel possible, Sly, Jak, and Ratchet feel like they'd be competing amongst themselves (with Sly feeling the least likely of the bunch).

Per usual, I'd rather hit up the more obscure or older stuff... Siren (Kyoya Suda), MediEvil (Sir Daniel Fortesque), Parappa the Rappa or Um Jammer Lammy (Parappa and Lammy, respectively), Vib Ribbon (Vibri), Wild Arms, etc. Ico would be neat too, but I don't know how well that'd really work. >_>

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As a follow-up, 10 more characters completes the Squad Strike CSS perfectly.
Ooh, great to see someone actually made a mockup. What about the stacked version of the CSS, though? Would the same number fit?

Either way, 3 DLC seasons would be... insane for Sakurai, but at the same time we're probably not seeing another Smash in a very long time, so expanding while you still can is a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom