• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I don’t think the rating of their original games matter. It’s not like CERO is going to care about more than what content Sakurai decides to bring over into Smash, and Doomguy and his weapons shouldn’t do that when there’s no blood or viscera.
Have you ever thought that maybe the issue is not removing the problem elements but rather the mere presence of a character from an Adult game?

Its still something yet to be seen but given the dissonance in violence and sex regions between Japan and the US, I could legitimately think that maybe the games rating or elements tied to them and the franchise might make some characters appearances more difficult.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Have you ever thought that maybe the issue is not removing the problem elements but rather the mere presence of a character from an Adult game?

Its still something yet to be seen but given the dissonance in violence and sex regions between Japan and the US, I could legitimately think that maybe the games rating or elements tied to them and the franchise might make some characters appearances more difficult.
It’s not like anyone but some extreme people would take a moral highground against a videogame, especially if it’s a version all ages can enjoy.

Seriously, I really don’t think they’d care as long as Smash is still relatively family-friendly with a “friendlier” version of the character. I can see a lot of people being mad at Bayonetta for this stuff. Rating boards only care about the content, I doubt they care about moral stances against games even if they have to rate accordingly based on views against excessive blood and whatnot (I don’t enjoy mass blood and stuff either but still).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You mean this is the same rating? Bayonetta games have the equivalent of mature or D and Doom has Z or the equivalent of Adult. We still have yet to see if we get a character from a Z rated game.
Wait, Japan has a rating worse than their 17+ rating?

And you're telling me Assassin's Creed has that rating, but the game where the player smashes enemies in meat grinders doesn't?

Wtf...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It’s not like anyone but some extreme people would take a moral highground against a videogame, especially if it’s a version all ages can enjoy.

Seriously, I really don’t think they’d care as long as Smash is still relatively family-friendly with a “friendlier” version of the character. I can see a lot of people being mad at Bayonetta for this stuff.
Smash Bros is a video game where we can have Bayonetta literally devour a young child who lost his mom and a space pterodactyl literally stab the life out of a dog secretary. I'm gonna ride this out and not jump to conclusions.

Sigman

Smash Cadet
I’m secretly hoping that if Tales Of does get a rep, Sakurai’s comment about being fun to play is more important than recognition means that Velvet has an even greater chance to make it in despite Lloyd and Yuri destroying her in the popularity polls. She’d by far have the most unique and IMO the most fun kit utilizing her acrobatics, triple blades, and demon arm alongside Artes rather than Lloyd’s twin swords or Yuri’s katana. Plus it’s a female rep so win win. This is a very biased opinion though since Berseria is the only Tales game I’ve played lol. #VelvetforSmash
Can you cite these "popularity polls" please?
The latest Tales of popularity poll (excluding Yuri and Leon, as they've been given the Hall of Fame status, thus ineligible):

Velvet Crowe is #7 (from Tales of Berseria), Lloyd Irving is #11.
https://www.ricedigital.co.uk/tales-of-festival-poll-results-2017/

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure the mere prescence of characters from higher rated games in lesser rated ones doesn't impact the rating of the lesser rated game.

If it did, Fortnite would be rated M due to there being a Borderlands cross-over (note that FN is heavily targetted towards children), Injustice would be rated M due to having Sub-Zero, Raiden, and Scorpion, etc...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
While SNK is now one of the companies with the most songs in Smash, every one of them is listed as "Fatal Fury" in the Music menu despite being from different games.

So here's a quick song breakdown:

- 15 songs from Fatal Fury, spanning several games

- 22 from KoF, again several games

- The remaining 13 songs are from other games like Psycho Soldier (2), Samsho (3) and Metal Slug (4).

D

Deleted member

That stream dragged on for too long. Looks like Ryu and Ken, but better
Still not buying him tho

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Smash Bros is a video game where we can have Bayonetta literally devour a young child who lost his mom and a space pterodactyl literally stab the life out of a dog secretary. I'm gonna ride this out and not jump to conclusions.
Ridley is the same character that ate Samus' parents and then bragged to her that he ate her parents
While SNK is now one of the companies with the most songs in Smash, every one of them is listed as "Fatal Fury" in the Music menu despite being from different games.

So here's a quick song breakdown:

- 15 songs from Fatal Fury, spanning several games

- 22 from KoF, again several games

- The remaining 13 songs are from other games like Psycho Soldier (2), Samsho (3) and Metal Slug (4).
I'm still mourning
Goodnight sweet prince

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
As far as music goes:

1) Unfortunately, the fact they grabbed stuff from outside FF kind of makes me doubt we'll be getting anyone else from SNK in future packs.

2) The fact they didn't take the opportunity to put the following in Smash is super-sad. :-(

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm a little disappointed that we didn't get Terry's Pink/blue alt (you had one job!) and Each Promise (although I'm very glad we got KoF XIII music and 50 songs in general, holy cow). A Mai cameo was a missed opportunity to say the least, especially since there were some very cool alternatives like:

Her old school story mode casual clothing:

Or other official illustrations of her civilian outfits:

And the fact that she has also worn a less revealing yet true to character design kimono in some of her intros/outros, artwork for official manga adaptations, concept art for alternate costumes, and official in-game artwork.

Heck, Mai has even told Athena Asamiya on more than one occasional that her school uniform reminds her of something she wore in her youth. And surely enough (even outside of her Dead or Alive cameos), it officially exists in some capacity. It would've been a funny continuity nod.

But honestly, in a perfect world, a little exposed thigh shouldn't boost an entire rating to Teen. I never considered Mai's outfit provocative.

With that being said, Terry is great. We seriously need to make that Terry only Arena I keep talking about. Granted, he's new, but I haven't lost a mirror match yet.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Jesus christ, Terry is one of the most fun characters to play as.

Like Joker I can feel a ton of love and care went into this guy.

Implying that people weren't generally satisfied with Joker and B-K's music selection when they were released.
I think we could have used at least 2 more Persona songs but I'm cool with what we have.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Is it just me or are these DLC characters very high tier lol (except maybe Hero but even then). Being able to cancel moves, having command inputs, a forward and back B, and a constant Limit Break once you reach over 100% makes it seem like Terry is going to be pretty good

SKX31

Smash Master
Is it just me or are these DLC characters very high tier lol (except maybe Hero but even then). Being able to cancel moves, having command inputs, a forward and back B, and a constant Limit Break once you reach over 100% makes it seem like Terry is going to be pretty good
I'm honestly not so sure about Terry. Not just because this is his first day, but IMHO his airgame feels a little wonky and he has trouble in disadvantage (something Hero also suffers from) and off stage. Of course, that's just my very first impressions, and that's highly subjective to change. I agree that he seems pretty good (and fun to play as) so far, but to me it's clear he has limitations.

OTOH, you want something broken? Geese's Spirit. If you ever play a Spirit multiplayer battle and manage to survive to 80 % you seriously get a Final Smash every ten seconds.

(Edit: Yes, there are loads of broken Spirits. But Geese to me feels like Top 5 Support Spirits, if not overall)

(And for the record, people classify Banjo as low on the high tier. Not like Jokers' top tier placement.)

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Never expected to learn that Smash drew the line somewhere after all. Maybe it's for the best, especially when the only people seriously complaining about such things are those of dubious lifestyles.

What's interesting is that we'll have to figure out what to do with these Mii costume videos until Character #5 reveals itself.

Troykv

Smash Master
Can you cite these "popularity polls" please?
The latest Tales of popularity poll (excluding Yuri and Leon, as they've been given the Hall of Fame status, thus ineligible):

Velvet Crowe is #7 (from Tales of Berseria), Lloyd Irving is #11.
https://www.ricedigital.co.uk/tales-of-festival-poll-results-2017/
Wow, maybe I'm remembering something wrong, but Tales Of is the only JRPG Series I remember which their most popular list it's almost completed male dominated, with the only exception being the only female character that was THE Main character in the game she appeared (Velvet) as far as I remember.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Maybe it's for the best, especially when the only people seriously complaining about such things are those of dubious lifestyles.
That's a weird thing to say. I personally don't care about Mai's absence but that just comes off as super judgmental.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Just did the Geese Spirit battle. He got a few good counters and grabs, I have to admit. Could almost hear the "Predictabo!".

If you can, finish it with a Final Smash as Terry. I did and it's incredibly satisfying.
With me, he just offed himself in 10 seconds lol gotta do it again and beat hm fair and square.

The new stage is the best thing ever, I always wanted a stage with no bottomless pits but also no walk offs.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Terry seems interesting! Played him for a few minutes this morning, and he's not my style (I'm not a "real" fighting game guy, my fingers are too slow/old to do all the cool input stuff, especially when trying to move around) but I was surprised by how easy the canceling normal moves into specials is. I was able to do it pretty consistently! It's like a small taste of Project M's turbo mode haha. Can't wait to see him in tournaments!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
With me, he just offed himself in 10 seconds lol gotta do it again and beat hm fair and square.

The new stage is the best thing ever, I always wanted a stage with no bottomless pits but also no walk offs.
Best thing was that we were offstage when I used the Final Smash, so one could easily transition into the scene where he falls from the tower.

D

Deleted member

osby

Smash Obsessed
Specific quote from the interview to really hammer it in. Violence and sexy panties really are on two levels. It's actually ridiculous.
Shoutouts to people who unironically think Sakurai backs censoring designs.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I think the fact that that SOB got fifty songs and people are still requesting for more is a testament to his legacy.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, in terms of how today's presentation affects speculation:

The way Terry's content spans multiple series makes me think he's the only SNK rep we'll get.

Heihachi, as I said, is noticeably absent from the costumes, which is weird considering Akira and Jacky returned. If Sakurai had truly given up on Heihachi because of implementation, he would have been a costume, I feel. Yet he's not there. I think this just massively boosted the Mishima patriarch's chances for next season.

As far as CP5 goes, my money is still on Capcom - the older Phoenix rumor, the one that only gave today's date for Terry and said that Phoenix is #5 is still alive, so I'm kinda hopeful. There's the stuff with Slayer and Geno (or maybe just a Bethesda rep and a Square rep) to look out for, though if that ends up being true, I feel like the latter would be next season.

Hayabusa is dead for CP5, but is very much alive for next season, as Vergeben believes that what ended up leaking were Hayabusa negotiations (and considering how far in advance these are done, it would probably be for next season).

Dunno how the Crash rumor went, but I think that depended on specific Mii Costumes, so is it even still alive?

Lastly... Color Theory is still going. It makes me laugh that this is the one that survived, but... yeah. Terry is blue. Doesn't mean we can't be surprised, however.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
That's a weird thing to say. I personally don't care about Mai's absence but that just comes off as super judgmental.
I mean no offence. I'm aware there's Actual Mai Supporters that are probably more than annoyed about this, but I also figured that they'd be more understanding of the situation than those people on the internet that are not to be defined.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
As much I would've liked Mai as Terry's alt costume I do understand why. You got draw the limit somewhere for an E10+ game, even with DLC. That probably means that KOS-MOS and Laura Croft may be out of the question.

I did like that he made it funny. People are already over that "Smash is for the good little boys and girls" quote on Twitter and most has been pretty funny surprisingly. I'm surprised no one hasn't used it in a creepy way yet.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
As much I would've liked Mai as Terry's alt costume I do understand why. You got draw the limit somewhere for an E10+ game, even with DLC. That probably means that KOS-MOS and Laura Croft may be out of the question.

I did like that he made it funny. People are already over that "Smash is for the good little boys and girls" quote on Twitter and most has been pretty funny surprisingly. I'm surprised no one hasn't used it in a creepy way yet.
Although she's a bad mofo, Lara is in the clear.

Last edited:

Droodle

Smash Lord

Just take KOS-MOS's XC 2 design, it's already getting a figure; so it's safe to say that that's what Bamco will use in the future.

Lara Croft is pretty tame in comparison to Bayonetta, I doubt they need to change her.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Specific quote from the interview to really hammer it in. Violence and sexy panties really are on two levels. It's actually ridiculous.
If this legitimately is still the reason behind decisions being what they are, it does make me worried for that potential character in a skirt may be considered more trouble than they're worth. :-(

I guess Sakura could have the Hanagumi outfit (bleh), and Reimu could get bloomers to avoid running into issues, but you'd have to go out of your way to find decent outfits for the iM@S cast if they were ever on the table. :-(

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I think the character who's probably affected the most is 2B because there's almost no way you can make a version of her where you can't look up her skirt.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I think the character who's probably affected the most is 2B because there's almost no way you can make a version of her where you can't look up her skirt.
That's definitely a good question. Could they give her pants under her dress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom