• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So Mai Shiranui is now trending on Twitter. I guess it’s the Waluigi effect where a character’s disinclusion actually makes them more popular than if they were included. It’s poetic in a way that it’s because of her sex appeal that people are paying more attention to her.

E0251819-CD97-434A-AFA4-0807916B7EC4.jpeg

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
if they put doom guy in just go with the old school look that's his most iconic look and old doom guy is less violent then modern doom guy

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get FP5 revealed until January. A reveal at the Game Awards just feels too predictable after Joker was already revealed there last year.
Depends on how they handle it. It can still be surprising if they drop it like Joker’s with no indication that it is smash bro’s related.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
There’s a difference between violence and sexualization, and maybe Sakurai thought he’d ruin Mai for fans if he included a censored version of her, so he didn’t bother and got a joke out of it.

He can still include Doomguy despite what he does in his games, and he only used guns in the original games if I’m not mistaken. Else we wouldn’t have Joker (how he summons his persona), Snake (sone stuff that happens in his games), or Bayonetta (yeah...).
As I already pointed out, Mai technically already has a "censored" version of her in the early Fatal Fury games that was more conservative. The infamous design where her chest practically hangs out didn't show up until the King of Fighters games. They could've gone with that earlier design instead, though in the end I still get why they excluded her.

Also, besides the comparisons you mentioned, I could see the Doom Slayer being like Ridley: his moveset and attacks are technically "family friendly" enough for Smash, but they're still really brutal and faithful to his home series.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Were there any current leaks which had been debunked by Terry's presentation?
The Phoenix one, the Frogger one (no Hollow Knight costume) and I think that’s it

cacodemon and Mallow are still MIA so that’s still up in the air, and the KOS-MOS leak by the guy who claimed Banjo’s codename was Buddy still stands

also, out of curiosity what is Terry’s codename...?

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So Mai Shiranui is now trending on Twitter. I guess it’s the Waluigi effect where a character’s disinclusion that actually makes them more popular than if they were included. It’s poetic in a way that it’s because of her sex appeal that people are paying more attention to her.

View attachment 245457
Mia Khalifa trending alongside Mai is perfect given the circumstances surrounding Mai trending.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
KOS-MOS lives another day. Heihachi mii costume nowhere to be seen..... I still think he's not next though because Terry just got so much love and 50 tracks. The next fighter needs to be an all around fighter like KOS-MOS and we need a damn female character first and foremost.

For those happy about Terry.... he looks so fun and I want to try him out. I'm a much bigger Mai fan but I understand she would never get in after today.
At most, I predict her possible inclusion for post-Fighter's Pass. Specifically within the first 3(?) slots, assuming the last characters are specifically from companies that don't have any reps in Smash yet.

The Phoenix one, the Frogger one (no Hollow Knight costume) and I think that’s it

cacodemon and Mallow are still MIA so that’s still up in the air, and the KOS-MOS leak by the guy who claimed Banjo’s codename was Buddy still stands

I'd giggle if his codename is something like "Pink".
terry.jpg

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I'd have been fine with Mai showing up even in her "worse" design, but Doom Guy and picks like anyone from Mortal Kombat are way too violent, even if toned down, for me to want them in Smash.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Probably have to wait on that one. Update's only been out for less than an hour. There needs to be time to datamine. I'd say keep a look out on Pushdustin's twitter, he seems to know considering he posted about Banjo's

Flyboy

Smash Hero

The Phoenix leak hasn't been debunked. It never said the fighter would be revealed at the presentation, just that he was fighter 5.

That said...I'm hedging my bets on a Bamco character, hopefully Heihachi, KOS-MOS or Velvet/Lloyd.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Alright, just finished watching.

I gotta be honest, I wish that wall breaking mechanic was in ALL walk-off stages.

All those FF cameos, but no Mai. Ralph and Clark, but no Leona...maybe LBV is right...and his comment about Mai doesn't bode well for the chances of characters like Morrigan...

The main time waster in this presentation was obviously the full Classic playthrough. He didn't need to do that.

lol @ Mai Shiranui being totally absent because she’s literally too sexy for Smash despite ZSS and Bayonetta existing... to be fair that’s cause of Mai’s sideboob potential
That shouldn't have even been an issue with a background character that you could have just standing there. It's not like she'd be bouncing.

If Mai was not suitable for good boys and girls, I guess it's reasonably safe to say Morrigan is (further) off the table
I actually think Morrigan is less bad than Mai because Morrigan is not synonymous with jiggle physics...

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The Phoenix leak hasn't been debunked. It never said the fighter would be revealed at the presentation, just that he was fighter 5.

That said...I'm hedging my bets on a Bamco character, hopefully Heihachi, KOS-MOS or Velvet/Lloyd.
Pretty sure the Phoenix leak was about him being revealed on Nov 5.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

That said...I'm hedging my bets on a Bamco character, hopefully, Heihachi, KOS-MOS or Velvet/Lloyd.
i honestly want a tales rep and Tekken let's get them both the last big fighter and another fan-favorite RPG rep

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Spotdodge counter-attack is a gimmick I expected to come with Heihachi, and Terry just came with it. Yet another mechanic from a fighting game that got added to Smash. With more experience developing fighting game characters I believe Sakurai now has an idea on how to make a proper moveset for Heihachi.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
i honestly want a tales rep and Tekken let's get them both the last big fighter and another fan-favorite RPG rep
Not just Tekken, but Mortal Kombat as well. Both of them are the last giant hitters of the fighting scene left out.
However, while I would love Scorpion, I don't think Mortal Kombat's chances bodes too well, being banned in Japan and all.
Yet again, however, Tekken on the other hand seem to fit perfectly, and Heihachi is no stranger to crossovers, and would fit the Smash scene even greater. What Tekken got that the other fighters don't thus far is how it's a 3D fighter, and not 2D.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
As I already pointed out, Mai technically already has a "censored" version of her in the early Fatal Fury games that was more conservative. The infamous design where her chest practically hangs out didn't show up until the King of Fighters games. They could've gone with that earlier design instead, though in the end I still get why they excluded her.
The more I consider it, the more I'm convinced the issue is underpants.
That's been something Smash has notoriously had issues with in the past, and if you notice, all of the female cameos in the stage are wearing pants. They went with Athena's 94/95/CvS look instead of any of her skirted outfits.

They've worked around skirts/dresses before, but maybe its considered more work than its worth. If so, that doesn't bode well for some of my choices... :-(

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
I mean, DOOM's rip and tear was a 2016 mechanic. They can totally just use a bunch of guns and stylized weaponry.
Look maybe I'm completely off the mark here and he is in, but I will tell you this; after Mai not getting into a background cameo even though they had a less sexy version of the costume to use for her I will be extremely baffled if Slayer is in. It will be the most confusing thing in the world to me.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
That's been something Smash has notoriously had issues with in the past, and if you notice, all of the female cameos in the stage are wearing pants. They went with Athena's 94/95/CvS look instead of any of her skirted outfits.

They've worked around skirts/dresses before, but maybe its considered more work than its worth. If so, that doesn't bode well for some of my choices... :-(
That does not bode well for the chances of this guy.

Attachments

D

Deleted member

Look maybe I'm completely off the mark here and he is in, but I will tell you this; after Mai not getting into a background cameo even though they had a less sexy version of the costume to use for her I will be extremely baffled if Slayer is in. It will be the most confusing thing in the world to me.
If Solid Snake can get in while retaining his military explosives and literal neck snapping, I think DOOM is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice

Just when the “where are my pants?” guy from the LEGO Movie seemed to be gaining steam.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's been said multiple times that CERO is very snippy about upskirts specifically.

I still think 2B could make it with some tweaks but this definitely dampens her (already miniscule) chances.

I still cannot believe we actually got a Nakoruru Spirit and Mii. And King, Rock Howard, friggin Clark, pretty much all my fave KOF characters are in Smash somehow through the costumes, cameos, spirits, and songs. What a bundle of fanservice this presentation was. A treat.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So we didn’t get any mii gunner outfits this time? Metal Slug characters would have worked perfectly for mii gunner.

I guess if DoomSlayer is next, then he’d probably come with a lot of mii gunner costumes. They could add BJ, Ranger, Commander Keen, Cyberdemon and more

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
If Solid Snake can get in while retaining his military explosives and literal neck snapping, I think DOOM is fine.
I think you and a lot of other people are underestimating the kind of Impact that Doom has on the west compared to games like MGS and Bayo and what not. People who don't game know what Doom is and are far more likely to object to it, even censored, than those other games. It just being anywhere near the Smash Series might be an issue.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Doom Slayer is too sexy for Smash.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
With 50 songs, Square-Enix has officially been found dead in the water. Sakurai publicly talking about Mai’s snub might create a Waluigi effect in terms of publicity. Terry is fun to play.

That’s my thoughts currently.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Not just Tekken, but Mortal Kombat as well. Both of them are the last giant hitters of the fighting scene left out.
However, while I would love Scorpion, I don't think Mortal Kombat's chances bodes too well, being banned in Japan and all.
Yet again, however, Tekken on the other hand seem to fit perfectly, and Heihachi is no stranger to crossovers, and would fit the Smash scene even greater. What Tekken got that the other fighters don't thus far is how it's a 3D fighter, and not 2D.
Mortal Kombat is another one but i want to see if we get another western franchise first because Banjo might as well be Nintendo Royalty and i believe he and just dealing with Microsoft, in general, are a special case but Scorpion joining in would be great

D

Deleted member

With 50 songs, Square-Enix has officially been found dead in the water. Sakurai publicly talking about Mai’s snub might create a Waluigi effect in terms of publicity. Terry is fun to play.

That’s my thoughts currently.
Microsoft and Atlus didn’t get as much songs either.

Dragon Quest got this time a neat amount of songs comparable to the ones every DLC company but SNK got.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

Dragon Quest got this time a neat amount of songs comparable to the ones every DLC company but SNK got.
Implying that people weren't generally satisfied with Joker and B-K's music selection when they were released.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Were there any current leaks which had been debunked by Terry's presentation?
The frogger leak

Everything but the mii costumes was right

As a matter of fact none of the costumes are correct

But here’s something significant the akira and jacky outfits are back......

.....but not heihachi why exclude his mii costume in a fighter pack contributed to fatal fury/street fighter style fighting

And the mii costumes mallow and cacodemon are still alive as well so the doom slayer as character 5 is practically locked if the costumes are real

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

I mean the one saving grace for Dragon Quest in smash is that at least there more than 2 songs FF music rights must be a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom