• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel like the artstyle for Xenoblade Chronicles was always meant to be this way but wasn't fully realized due to hardware limitations.
This is outright not the case. Again, compare his ingame artwork from Xenoblade 1, Xenoblade 2 and Xenoblade Definitive, not the models, the official artwork. There's quite a contrast between all three art pieces

Link Sharingan

Smash Ace
I personally don't have much faith in the concept, but... what if we got a Sony character? Who would have the best chances?

I'd say Kratos, but I don't know if he does well in the east... if we're going classic, maybe Ratchet, Parappa or Spike from Ape Escape? If we're going modern, maybe Kat from Gravity Rush?

Just throwing it out there because we don't know what to expect from the next season.
Cole MacGrath & Delsin Rowe from the Infamaus franshize would have been awsome, huge move pool potencial.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Mortal Kombat would make sense as the next fighting game represented in Smash given that it's arguably the most popular one (at least on a Worldwide scale).

Mortal Kombat might as well not exist in Japan. The Japanese hate gore as much as Americans hate bare skin.

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
Mortal Kombat would make sense as the next fighting game represented in Smash given that it's arguably the most popular one (at least on a Worldwide scale).
It would be interesting to see how they handle the gory elements though, since Smash has no blood and nothing remotely resembling decapitation or lobbing off body parts.

I’m probably strange for saying this, but I’m really enjoying how Xander is saying the DLC character names. I imagine these were also on a huge list of names Nintendo gave him to say. I often wonder about this list, like what happens if they add a character that is not on the list? I don’t think it would happen, and I sort of doubt they bring Xander in the So additional sessions to record DLC names and such each time, unless they do all at once.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I personally don't have much faith in the concept, but... what if we got a Sony character? Who would have the best chances?

I'd say Kratos, but I don't know if he does well in the east... if we're going classic, maybe Ratchet, Parappa or Spike from Ape Escape? If we're going modern, maybe Kat from Gravity Rush?

Just throwing it out there because we don't know what to expect from the next season.
Dream? PaRappa the Rapper. My childhood obsession. Invented Rhythm Games. Brilliant.

Probably would be Kratos, though. However, I think Sly Cooper would be the perfect compromise. He'd be awesome.

I'd rather have a PSABR2 though.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I will only accept Travis if we got Shinobu, Henry, and Badgirl inspired palette swaps.

But seriously, Travis would be cool; I love No More Heroes. Aside from his various laser Katanas and wrestling moves, he also had a boatload of zany part-time jobs, a giant robot, and a motorcycle to pull a moveset from.

I love Tekken but the frontrunners aren't really my favorites from the series
Are you a Leo, Lili, Asuka, or Alisa main perchance?

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
If I has to pick my top characters to get in that make sense... I think I would go with this in order

KOS-MOS (xenosaga)
Pyra/Mythra (Xenoblade 2) Or Fiora Or Elma as a Xeno rep
Terra Branford (FF VI)
Tharja (fire emblem) or Edelgard
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I will only accept Travis if we got Shinobu, Henry, and Badgirl inspired palette swaps.

But seriously, Travis would be cool; I love No More Heroes. Aside from his various laser Katanas and wrestling moves, he also had a boatload of zany part-time jobs, a giant robot, and a motorcycle to pull a moveset from.

Are you a Leo, Lili, Asuka, or Alisa main perchance?
Alisa! You got me! She's my favorite. There's no way in hell she'd ever be in Smash but I love her dearly.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not necessarily, Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers don't have their own sections on the music menu.

New topic. Now we have Street Fighter and Fatal Fury/King of Fury in the game. Which fighting franchise should be next? Virtua Fighter is an assist and Tekken is in Pac-Mans taunt. Mortal Kombat? Guilty Gear? Soul Calibur? Darkstalkers? Samurai Shodown?
Mortal Kombat is the only one I care about at this point.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I think Tekken would get a rep before Mortal Kombat.

That’s why I’m throwing in my bet for Negan

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I think Tekken would get a rep before Mortal Kombat.

That’s why I’m throwing in my bet for Negan
I'm not. Negan isn't even a 'tekken character'. He doesn't represent Tekken. There is no way Negan, a guest character in Tekken from a TV show/comic book, would make it in before a member of Kazama family. The icons/mascots of the Tekken franchise. lol. I believe Tekken could get a rep, just none of the guest characters within that franchise. Sakurai wouldn't let a TV/Comic character get in over an actual Tekken rep.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
IDK. MK seems to have a bigger presence than Tekken on a world wide scale. Also, I think you missed the Joke Wiggle.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Let's break down my characters to watch out for across the entire plane of DLC. Not just Pack 5 contenders, but I'll put those in this color. Let's assume Spirits, Assist Trophies, Bosses, and Pokéball Pokémon are available for DLC. Mii Costumes are a special case. Non-comprehensive, I've probably missed a character or two. Lower tier characters are not bad, but I can't see them happening just yet. Only the lowest tier characters are ones who will not make it in, and at that they won't make it in as anything ever.

God Tier: I just.... I can't not see them as in. Nobody is in this tier yet, but if we get anybody who is leaked (either by a perfect-record Smash leaker or a significant video leak), I'll make sure to include them.

Top Tier: The big guys. Characters who you should all be watching out for.
  1. Waluigi - the obvious one. The amount of clamour people have had for him means he would probably outsell Sans's Mii Costume. That's... that's extremely impressive, and would pretty much break any reason to exclude him based on the crowd-pleasing and commercial aspect alone. If we get any Assist Trophy out of the Snowglobe of Doom and open the door, the Purple Plumber will be the one to do it.
  2. Doom Guy/Slayer - Basically the same reasons as people believe in him now. The FPS equivalent of Dragon Quest, very popular, the Bethesda talks...
  3. Ryu Hayabusa - Is one of two major NES icons missing (the other is in high tier), Koei-Tecmo is already involved with Smash Bros.
  4. Resident Evil - Another genre pioneer, it's the most iconic Capcom franchise to have never received Smash representation. Five viable candidates: Leon is the likeliest, then Jill, then Chris, then Wesker, and Claire is the least likely individual character. Counting the possibility of Survivor being stacked, Wesker is the least likely.
  5. Crash Bandicoot - Came back to roaring success, is a worldwide icon, Activision has worked with Nintendo before.
  6. Steve - The blocky boy is the face of the world's largest game. Enough said.
High Tier: Very likely, but I could understand you guys thinking they're just likely or even unlikely.
  1. Arle Nadja - I've got a lot of explaining to do in another post, but bear in mind that she's the sleeper contender. She's not top tier worthy, though.
  2. Phoenix Wright - A genre legend who has something new to bring. Could easily double as a Marvel vs. Capcom character in disguise by featuring
  3. Bill Riser - The other one of the major NES icons who is missing. Another legend of Konami's, Contra is oft forgotten about between it, Goemon, and Frogger for Konami's third franchise. Very diverse moveset potential.
  4. Agumon - Bamco's second biggest gaming franchise. It's basically legendary compared to most everything else besides Pac-Man.
  5. Rex & Pyra - Rex skirts the line, but he stands out as Sakurai did seem regretful he couldn't be included in the base game.
  6. Elma - If Rex doesn't count, then Elma will gladly take his place. I can see Rex, then Elma, but if Elma happens first I dunno about Rex.
  7. Professor Layton - Has some things in common with Arle. However, he trades her star power in Japan and massive pushes in the west for not having competition included. Still, I don't think he has a shot for Pack 5, and is more of a globally later character.
  8. Dixie Kong - The Final Missing DK character of significant worth that people have been asking for.
  9. Echo Fighters in General - Echoes are far simpler to make. They don't need a stage, music, or anything but a Fighter Spirit.
  10. Dante - Got everything he needed when DMC1 came to Switch.
  11. Travis Touchdown - Something tells me he's got the potential to make it happen. Suda51's very much hoping.
  12. Isaac - Waluigi but not as potent.
  13. Tracer - Iconic character and Iconic mascot of an Iconic game. Might be a little too new, though.
  14. Master Chief - Seems kinda hard to make him distinct from Doom Slayer to people unfamiliar with him, but aside from that this guy is probably Microsoft's third character.
Mid Tier: Somewhat likely but you probably shouldn't bet on them.
  1. Dr. Eggman, Alucard, Raiden, another Fatal Fury character: Sakurai seems to have a preference for expanding the crossover, especially when it comes to third parties. However these characters still have several things going for them, so it isn't all gloom and doom.
  2. Lloyd Irving, Heihachi Mishima: Heavily run the risk of getting Mii'd. Aside from that, it's Banjo & Steve again, one has way more Smash fans and the other wins generally.
  3. KOS-MOS: The secondary dark horse candidate of the Bamco 2 race, she's got a fair bit of good things going for her but I've just got a hunch she can't compete with Agumon.
  4. Shantae? Shovel Knight?: The S duo of Indies are similarly challenged. They are very unlikely to be the ones who forge a new path, I don't expect them until their doors have already been opened.
  5. Sora - If Disney is cooperative, then he's in. If Disney, as I predict, tries to push for Mickey Mouse then things get dicey.
Low Tier: These characters... have a problem that prevent them from being likely. They're still feasible, but I can see some issues propping up.
  1. Frisk - the Series Symbol for Undertale's Megalovania is the think keeping them in the game and out of Bottom Tier or Sony/Goku Tier. It is odd that they'd release Frisk AFTER, and not before, Sans' Mii Costume and Megalovania.
  2. Unique Shadow - Shadow is very likely to be an Echo Fighter if he gets promoted.
  3. Retro First Parties - They're... base game material. Things that wouldn't really sell well enough as DLC due to obscurity. I count Lip here alongside other characters.
  4. Spyro: Has Scorpion's (below) main issue but not as bad.
Bottom Tier: They're incredibly unlikely. Anything is possible, but these characters are begging for miracles.
  1. The DLC Mii Costumes. Tails, Knuckles, Goemon, Sans, Zero. Selling the characters again but as Fighters destroys the value of the Mii Costumes, so there is no reason to do even bother making a Mii Costume if you think, for a second, you'd make them a Fighter.
  2. Scorpion. While Mortal Kombat is beloved, its dreadful reputation in Japan, Smash's home country, is not going to do him any favors.
[Funny title for worse than bottom] Tier: Uh uh, uh uh, no way. I'll believe it when I see it.
  1. Ratchet & Clank, Kratos, Sly Cooper, PaRappa, Nathan Drake, Joel & Ellie: All of them are owned by Sony, the only company to have the financial stability and spite towards Nintendo to reject a Smash character for no reason. There's also no attempt at crossplay whatsoever. It's just not gonna.
  2. Son Goku, SpongeBob, Shrek, Batman, Spider-Man: Do I have to say anything here? Honestly I think they're likelier than Sony characters because at least I don't think Nickelodeon or DC would reject a character the way Sony would. Still, it would take Nintendo strong-arming Sakurai into even giving it more than a little thought.
  3. Any other multimedia character: The above 5 have at least one well known, beloved game (FighterZ, BFBB, SuperSlam, Arkham Asylum/City, Spider Man 2/PS4). The rest of them are examples of it being a slop stick. This is the bottom of the barrel kind of character.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
IDK. MK seems to have a bigger presence than Tekken on a world wide scale. Also, I think you missed the Joke Wiggle.
I don't know which of the two is the bigger series, but Mortal Kombat is banned in a few countries. One of which is Japan. That's really going to hurt it since the series has almost no opportunity whatsoever to gain traction in any of those places. Tekken doesn't have this problem.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm not. Negan isn't even a 'tekken character'. He doesn't represent Tekken. There is no way Negan, a guest character in Tekken from a TV show/comic book, would make it in before a member of Kazama family. The icons/mascots of the Tekken franchise. lol. I believe Tekken could get a rep, just none of the guest characters within that franchise. Sakurai wouldn't let a TV/Comic character get in over an actual Tekken rep.
Ok, Maggie.

For sure in the west but MK11 didn’t even release in Japan so idk. Truthfully I’d prefer MK because I actually play that but Sakurai didn’t even want to include Japanese only characters, so west only characters might be a no go

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't know which of the two is the bigger series, but Mortal Kombat is banned in a few countries. One of which is Japan. That's really going to hurt it since the series has almost no opportunity whatsoever to gain traction in any of those places. Tekken doesn't have this problem.
Is Mortal Kombat actually banned? People say this all the time but I never see an actual source, it seems to me that the games simply don't get localized due to lack of interest as stuff like God of War made it to Japan but had to get censored

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
As much as I'd love more Undertale stuff, if that were the case they'd have likely held off on releasing Megalovania so it wouldn't have to play on the miscellaneous stages.
I think that could be easily changed but I am just being crazy speculative
I mean, Sakurai never had to test the waters for anything else and Undertale is not only still being talked about to this day on a regular basis but also had enough fan demand to get brought to Japan
Yeah, I don't think he actually would do that but i was just being crazy speculative.

Do u think that they should add more variants of mii fighters, if so what are your ideas?

Mine: mii wizard/mage, sports/athlete, gamer, wii resort based

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Why would you want Negan? How about a character who's ACTUALLY from a video game like Spawn from MK11 DLC?
I actually prefer the Joker bayybee

Is Mortal Kombat actually banned? People say this all the time but I never see an actual source, it seems to me that the games simply don't get localized due to lack of interest as stuff like God of War made it to Japan but had to get censored
Only MK11. It wasn’t released in Japan because of violence.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that MK is actually banned. I just don't think that the developers make an attempt to localize it. Also, the older MK games were sold in Japan. Just not some of the more recent ones. Also, when I say worldwide, I mean as a whole. I know MK isn't big Japan, but it's incredibly popular in the west, as well as Latin America. There's a reason it's the best selling game this year, and character trailers often make it to trending on YouTube.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
  1. Sora - If Disney is cooperative, then he's in. If Disney, as I predict, tries to push for Mickey Mouse then things get dicey.
You know....I know that Disney can be stupid at times, I genuinely does.
But why the hell would they even try to push for Mickey Mouse in Smash Bros, a game known for VIDEO GAME CROSSOVERS ?

Disney ain't that out of touch or Stupid, if Sakurai/Nintendo come in and asks for Sora, they aint going to be "Oh yeah? Well nah, **** you, here's Mickey Mouse"

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan, Indonesia, Ukraine, and was briefly refused classification in Australia.

I would like to add that sometimes digital sales can get around this.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm almost sold in the idea we'll have a Fire Emblem Character

It's inevitable boys.

SKX31

Smash Master
Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan, Indonesia, Ukraine, and was briefly refused classification in Australia.

I would like to add that sometimes digital sales can get around this.
I don't think that MK is actually banned. I just don't think that the developers make an attempt to localize it. Also, the older MK games were sold in Japan. Just not some of the more recent ones. Also, when I say worldwide, I mean as a whole. I know MK isn't big Japan, but it's incredibly popular in the west, as well as Latin America. There's a reason it's the best selling game this year, and character trailers often make it to trending on YouTube.
Only MK11. It wasn’t released in Japan because of violence.

It's due to CERO (the Japanese video game ratings board) and its guidelines. But as Censored Gaming noted, there's no overarching (between genres) cultural reason. Mortal Kombat could enter Japan as a manga / anime AFAIK, for example.

And if MK gets into Smash, that's the route they'll take I believe. I mean, Castlevania doesn't have much recently beyond the Netflix show and the Belmonts still got in.

(Edited)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Except it really doesn't. Maybe MK could get in as a Western pick, but Mortal Kombat is less popular in Japan than Banjo, and that's saying something.
You know....I know that Disney can be stupid at times, I genuinely does.
But why the hell would they even try to push for Mickey Mouse in Smash Bros, a game known for VIDEO GAME CROSSOVERS ?

Disney ain't that out of touch or Stupid, if Sakurai/Nintendo come in and asks for Sora, they aint going to be "Oh yeah? Well nah, **** you, here's Mickey Mouse"
Especially considering how important the pristine image of Mickey Mouse is to them.

Why do you think they lobbied Congress so hard to extend copyright laws? A challenge for Sora is getting Disney to even allude to the fact Mickey is in Kingdom Hearts, not Disney wanting Mickey over Sora.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah I've never really seen any sort of confirmation that Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan, but the only info I have seen was just a report about MK11 not being set to release in Japan. The game isn't "banned" per say, but it looks like Netherrealms doesn't want to put their resources into appeasing CERO by heavily censoring its content.

Though I must add, apparently DOOM 2016 isn't censored in Japan because its gory content is mostly on demons and not human beings? I took this off of a reddit post I read while looking to see what the Japanese reception to DOOM was.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
If they are considering a Tekken rep for Smash, I would opt for either Heihachi Mishima or Jin Kazama.
Tekken in Smash ain't happening. Sakurai said they couldn't make Heihachi work in Sm4sh, and I don't think he magically found a way to make it work now.

"But tehponycorn!" you say, "Sakurai said the same thing about Ridley, and Pac-Man, and Villager, and Miis but THEY got into Smash!" Those characters can also be faithfully adapted to Smash relatively easy. Tekken can't. And Sakurai's the kinda guy to either go for faithfulness or nothing.

Tekken's controls have each button control a limb, which can't be adapted as easily as Ryu's arcade inputs, and a large part of Tekken is the 3D movement, which just isn't possible in Smash. To put Heihachi or Jin in Smash would be to remove what makes Tekken Tekken. You'd just be adding the character for the name, which is against Sakurai's ideology with character design in Smash.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Why do you think they lobbied Congress so hard to extend copyright laws? A challenge for Sora is getting Disney to even allude to the fact Mickey is in Kingdom Hearts, not Disney wanting Mickey over Sora.
Which is why in the rare cross over he's in (World of Final Fantasy, Record Keeper and Brave Exvius) , the Disney element are never Once alluded to beside "traveling in others worlds" or "Finding the King".
They usually keep it to say that he want to find Riku and the King/His friends after His Island got eaten by the darknesses.
But it seems that having the Keyblade with the Mickey Keychain was never once a problem.

If they can get him, THIS YEAR as in like, 2019, in two Final Fantasy Mobile games, I'm 99% sure they can get him in smash.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Yeah I've never really seen any sort of confirmation that Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan, but the only info I have seen was just a report about MK11 not being set to release in Japan. The game isn't "banned" per say, but it looks like Netherrealms doesn't want to put their resources into appeasing CERO by heavily censoring its content.

Though I must add, apparently DOOM 2016 isn't censored in Japan because its gory content is mostly on demons and not human beings? I took this off of a reddit post I read while looking to see what the Japanese reception to DOOM was.
The decision not to censor the game to comply with CERO probably falls on WB. They should really consider putting in the effort, or partnering with a local publisher.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Heihachi kinda has the VA problem for now sadly. That being said I think he'd already be in if Sakurai figured out how to make him work as seen with Smash 4.
The VA thing isn't a problem. I'm gonna be quoting Sari Sari since he explains the situation perfectly.
I missed some discussion on Tekken that happened a few pages back so I wanted to lend in my two cents on some recent news:

Today it was confirmed that Heihachi (as well as Jin and Kazuya) will be guest-starring in the King of Fighters All-Stars mobile game.

Why is this important? Because all of the characters in KoF All-Stars are fully voiced and AFAIK all of the voice-clips are completely brand new. They even got Takehito Koyasu (AKA Dio) to voice Shingo again after a +10 year hiatus of the character being voiced (not to mention most of the older KoF VA's who got replaced in XIV).

So Heihachi's appearance means one of two things:
  1. They got a new VA for Heihachi, eliminating any argument that Heihachi's character is done for due to his VA passing away.
  2. They are reusing his voice clips from Tekken 7, meaning Namco is fine with paying tribute to the late Unsho Ishizuka through recycled clips.
Granted I'm still not all that confident in Heihachi happening, but I just thought it'd be worth noting that his character isn't retired (at least for spin-off appearances such as Smash) as some have been saying because of the VA situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom