• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Just a nitpick, though I agree with you otherwise: a lot of Japanese fans loved Banjo, so I wouldn't say he's a nobody. Hero is definitely more popular over there, though.
Banjo was certainly popular within the core Japanese fanbase, but certainly not at large.

It's like Geno. He's popular in America, but is definitely not iconic.
Btw people are saying we should get Rex as a promoted Spirit because of the extra characters

To that I say "How about Melia and Fiora?"
I say Rex is likely based mainly off of his popularity, Xenoblade Chronicle 2 (and the Xenoblade series in general) prominence to Nintendo, and Sakurai's personal feelings towards Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Fiora would be pretty neat though.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The way that Sakurai described the next DLC wave made it seem like they wanna add more third-party characters to the game, "more worlds colliding". The poster boys from Netheralm Studios may have a chance!
From what PushDustIn said, Sakurai's statement was more like "expand the world of Smash" which some first-parties (even from already-represented franchises) can do to be fair.

Though third-parties may be more-likely anyway.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Banjo was certainly popular within the core Japanese fanbase, but certainly not at large.

It's like Geno. He's popular in America, but is definitely not iconic.

I say Rex is likely based mainly off of his popularity, Xenoblade Chronicle 2 (and the Xenoblade series in general) prominence to Nintendo, and Sakurai's personal feelings towards Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Fiora would be pretty neat though.
Ok but Xenoblade 2 is the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly f*** up the entegrity of Xenoblade? While my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of the gas station, the unfortunate reality is that Xenoblade 2 will be around. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.

Meanwhile Melia and Fiora are my lovely daughters who have never done any wrong

Nquoid

Smash Ace
The thing is the Megalovania remix was put in the "Other" category for music. So they would have to remove it from those stages and put it into its own category.

Similar to Monster Hunter basically.
Not necessarily, Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers don't have their own sections on the music menu.

New topic. Now we have Street Fighter and Fatal Fury/King of Fury in the game. Which fighting franchise should be next? Virtua Fighter is an assist and Tekken is in Pac-Mans taunt. Mortal Kombat? Guilty Gear? Soul Calibur? Darkstalkers? Samurai Shodown?

Btw people are saying we should get Rex as a promoted Spirit because of the extra characters

To that I say "How about Melia and Fiora?"
Fiora would be really cool, actually. Same with Elma. I do think some characters' inclusion could still depend on when decisions are made. For example, we know about Xenoblade: definitive edition, so if a decision for a Xenoblade character was made after this point we could see someone from XC, but if it was made a few months ago we might have a bigger chance of getting Rex. Assuming we get anyone from Xenoblade at all.

Just saying timing is a bit of an unknown at this point.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Ok but Xenoblade 2 is the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly f*** up the entegrity of Xenoblade? While my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of the gas station, the unfortunate reality is that Xenoblade 2 will be around. Forever
you've lost me

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not necessarily, Duck Hunt and Ice Climbers don't have their own sections on the music menu.

New topic. Now we have Street Fighter and Fatal Fury/King of Fury in the game. Which fighting franchise should be next? Virtua Fighter is an assist and Tekken is in Pac-Mans taunt. Mortal Kombat? Guilty Gear? Soul Calibur? Darkstalkers? Samurai Shodown?
Undertale seems to be a franchise as Deltarune is a thing.

Sol Badguy. So visually different from everyone else and from one of the prettiest games I've seen
No, but, here me out.

Elma.
X was also hella disappointing but I do actually like Elma so she'd be dope

SKX31

Smash Master
From what PushDustIn said, Sakurai's statement was more like "expand the world of Smash" which some first-parties (even from already-represented franchises) can do to be fair.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo reserves a couple spots for themselves. I also think it would do them best to wait at least a little time so they can be flexible and count on a new IP succeeding.

Speaking off, how is Astral Chain doing? If it's doing well I could see Nintendo reserving a spot for Akira Howard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo reserves a couple spots for themselves. I also think it would do them best to wait at least a little time so they can be flexible and count on a new IP succeeding.

Speaking off, how is Astral Chain doing? If it's doing well I could see Nintendo reserving a spot for Akira Howard.
It topped the charts in the UK, a rarity in a region usually dominated by Sony

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ok but Xenoblade 2 is the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly f*** up the integrity of Xenoblade? While my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of the gas station, the unfortunate reality is that Xenoblade 2 will be around. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.

Meanwhile Melia and Fiora are my lovely daughters who have never done any wrong
While I completely agree that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is disappointing anime garbage, it has its place with Nintendo. The fact of the matter is that XC2 was one of Nintendo's heavy hitters in a time where they really needed those (December 2017). It also got a solid DLC expansion, which means something. Furthermore, the Japanese like anime garbage, and Rex & Pyra are quite possibly the most popular speculation picks for Smash there, to the point where Sakurai included Mii Costumes of them as a concession since they missed the cut for both base game and the Fighters Pass. Xenoblade Chronicles is also, at this point, one of Nintendo's most prominent series, and with Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition on the horizon, Rex and Pyra would be a solid way to promote it and the Xenoblade series as a whole.

In a set of DLC meant to include popular characters that will generate hype and sell lots, Rex & Pyra seem to be a standout pick.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Even if there's really no "official" form of Toontown currently out there, I still think that Flippy Doggenbottom would be a good start for when the Smash Bros. developers want to start adding MMORPG reps; he's a fairly iconic character as far as I know, and he technically originated from a game. I doubt Disney will want anything more to do with Toontown as a whole, but I suppose only time will tell.
First, I misread Flippy's last name as Donglebottom which is just hilarious. Second, Flippy isn't iconic in the slightest. I doubt anyone who hasn't played knows who he is and even I can barely remember what he looks like. Especially considering you can make your character look like him by accident.

Thirdly, if we were to get a MMORPG character it would probably come from World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Maple Story (series), or more likely but still highly unlikely, Final Fantasy XIV.

Ok but Xenoblade 2 is the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly f*** up the entegrity of Xenoblade? While my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of the gas station, the unfortunate reality is that Xenoblade 2 will be around. Forever. It will never go away. It can never be undone.
Ok what? Disregarding your unsettling metaphor Xenoblade Chronicles X was a great game. It has issues (namely locking Elma and Lin into your party and not properly teaching players how overdrive works, and the occasional lack of paying attention to enemy levels when placing quest objectives) but it's not terrible. The combat system and customization are really fun and the characters are really good albeit hidden behind quests you aren't likely to do in a first run-through. Except Bosé. He can take his xenophobia and...um...not show up in the next game. (Nailed it!)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Everyone has his own opinion but calling XC2 garbage is for sure shocking, at least for me.
I prefer the original Xenoblade, but I enjoyed XC2 so much. Is not perfect (tbf the same goes for Xenoblade 1) but I think it's an amazing game. Yeah, the game has more anime tone and that maybe doesn't please everyone. Great soundtrack, really good story, cool characters, great combat (better than the first Xeno)...

Almost all the things XC2 does wrong also happened in XC1.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Ok what? Disregarding your unsettling metaphor Xenoblade Chronicles X was a great game. It has issues (namely locking Elma and Lin into your party and not properly teaching players how overdrive works, and the occasional lack of paying attention to enemy levels when placing quest objectives) but it's not terrible. The combat system and customization are really fun and the characters are really good albeit hidden behind quests you aren't likely to do in a first run-through. Except Bosé. He can take his xenophobia and...um...not show up in the next game. (Nailed it!)
She was talking about Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Not Xenoblade Chronicles X.

See:
X was also hella disappointing but I do actually like Elma so she'd be dope

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
First, I misread Flippy's last name as Donglebottom which is just hilarious. Second, Flippy isn't iconic in the slightest. I doubt anyone who hasn't played knows who he is and even I can barely remember what he looks like. Especially considering you can make your character look like him by accident.

Thirdly, if we were to get a MMORPG character it would probably come from World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, Maple Story (series), or more likely but still highly unlikely, Final Fantasy XIV.

I said 2, not X. X was disappointing too but it isn't pure trash

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Everyone has his own opinion but calling XC2 garbage is for sure shocking, at least for me.
I prefer the original Xenoblade, but I enjoyed XC2 so much. Is not perfect (tbf the same goes for Xenoblade 1) but I think it's an amazing game. Yeah, the game has more anime tone and that maybe doesn't please everyone. Great soundtrack, really good story, cool characters, great combat (better than the first Xeno)...

Ah yes. I remember when Xenoblade Chronicles 1 outed Riki for having a maid fetish. Or, in that classic scene, Shulk placed his hand on Sharla's chest. Truly iconic moments.

The story of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn't just have "more anime tone." It dives head first into the anime, which is a complete tonal 180 from the relatively serious Xenoblade Chronicles 1. It's jarring to say the least. The story doesn't take off for a solid 10-30 hours, whereas XC1's takes off immediately. The characters in XC2 initially come off as tropish at best despite gaining actual character later, compared to the characters of XC1 who have easy to understand motivations and are overall solid characters from the start.

Is XC2 an okay game? Sure. But it's nothing close to the near masterpiece that is Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I can very well see Steve getting in. No reason not to, and working with Microsoft is apparently easy. My desires however now lie in Master Chief when it comes to xbox characters. Hed be really unique, even against other fps characters. Regenerating shields and 2 weapon system could be some mechanics to transfer over into smash.
I think Doom has a better chance of getting in than Chief. I'd much rather have Chief tho.

Regardless, I think it'd be one or the other with these guys getting in to Ultimate

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I mean, the VA direction wasn't questionable in 1, I actually cared about Shulk and his conflict but couldn't for Rex, the super anime style was unnerving and it REALLY shows how bad it is when comparing Shulk's artwork from 1, 2 and Definitive, it goes full weeb which is insulting as it seems to think people only want to get the game for anime boobs, the boob jiggle physics are ****ing stupid as it's like the game wants you to pay attention to the boobs more than the actual story, having the same problem X had with not telling you enough **** about the game when 1 perfectly had a menu in case you forgot mechanics and stuff, Rex being a harem anime protagonist feels more deliberately "HEY KIDDOS YA LIKE ANEEM?" than 2 of the girls in 1 liking Shulk, I don't like the combat system being more radically different from 1 than X was despite 2 being billed as a game for people who were disappointed in X, etc

Also those designs are whack

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yo, so is Terry just not in the banner yet or am I just an ignaramoose?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Maybe not on the site but he's there and he's next to Ness and Red, his new adopted kids
I don't think he is officially, but there is a video of him being placed on the banner on the Japanese Smash Twitter.
Oh, yeah, I'm just stupid. He's there showing off his whole ass.

Speaking of which they're just kind of clumping all the DLC characters in that one spot. The only odd one out is Banjo & Kazooie...

Flik

Smash Journeyman
As someone who has never played Xenoblade, I'd welcome Fiora based solely on Project X Zone 2.

Rex, on the other hand, looks bad in my opinion. Maybe he's a cool character when you gt to know him, but the first impression based on visual is not a good one.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh, yeah, I'm just stupid. He's there showing off his whole ***.

Speaking of which they're just kind of clumping all the DLC characters in that one spot. The only odd one out is Banjo & Kazooie...
Reception to Terry based on my twitter seems to be 4 people going "whomst me sheltered Nintendo baby", a large chunk being "HOLY **** TERRY **** YEAH" or "Terry is hot"

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I was wondering where all those goats were dissapearing too lol

I really dont think we are getting another pass. The small text said the characters will be released individually, and sakurai himself said he didnt like the idea of a pass, because he didnt want people to commit to buying a pass ahead of time and not knowing if they will like everyone in it, as it seems quite a few people here can attest to.

Most likely this will be like smash 4, individual characters dropped every few months, with maybe some music and if lucky some may have a stage. As well as some more mii fighter outfots rolling out to dash those players dreams of a character.
The announcement never actually said that the characters would be sold individually though. This is what it said: "Additional fighters will not be included as a part of the Fighter's Pass and will be sold separately." That just tells us they are not bundled with the Fighter's Pass, and technically a second Fighter's Pass would still be "sold separately." I think there's a good chance we may see individual DLC outside of a pass, but as it stands, we don't actually know.

I knew people were going to latch on to that statement when PushDustin put out the correction, but the context of the rest of that discussion Sakurai has definitely implies a continued focus on the crossover aspect and likely new series. I'm not saying that first parties or characters from existing series are impossible, but I don't think they'll be the focus of additional DLC based on how Sakurai spoke since they don't really contribute to the "expanding crossover narrative" he seems determined to only improve upon.

Bloxicon

Smash Rookie

I kind of wish Toontown was more recognizable to people who haven't quite heard of it before, though in fairness it is rather mediocre in many respects. Regardless, I still play it occasionally. Also, TTR's new Field Offices look really cool and I can't wait to check them out when they're released.

I like the 3D version of Maplestory, especially the adorable chibis part where you can build your own house. I never really played World of Warcraft, but I imagine that huge green orc we see all the time will be the first MMO rep to make his debut in Smash Bros.

And Flippy Donglebottom would literally be a walking & talking USB stick.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I knew people were going to latch on to that statement when PushDustin put out the correction, but the context of the rest of that discussion Sakurai has definitely implies a continued focus on the crossover aspect and likely new series. I'm not saying that first parties or characters from existing series are impossible, but I don't think they'll be the focus of additional DLC based on how Sakurai spoke since they don't really contribute to the "expanding crossover narrative" he seems determined to only improve upon.
I guess so.

But it's not like games like SMRPG don't have a bunch of exclusive stuff that can add to Smash. Besides, based on what PushDustIn said, Sakurai's statement was vague enough to where he could've literally just been referring to characters.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Regarding Steve's chances, I think he's out of the running for the fifth spot. But post-Pass is a whole 'nother story.

I think not just him, but all characters from companies already in the Pass might get a second chance.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Choosing another Xenoblade character would be tough. Rex could switch blades, Elma dual wields guns and swords, and Fiora not only dual wields but has funnels (or drones whatever they're called) too. Rex easily has the most demand of the bunch.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Never played a NMH game but Travis is a sword user I'd actually be down with given how different he is conceptually and design wise to all the other swordies on the roster

Flyboy

Smash Hero
All this talk of icons reminds me of a comic I made
http://lvl30psy.thecomicseries.com/comics/282/
MONTY runs in!

Gotta be Guilty Gear for me! I love Tekken but the frontrunners aren't really my favorites from the series, but Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear would bring AMAZING music and style! Or maybe Ky? My main is Slayer though...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
She was talking about Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Not Xenoblade Chronicles X.
I said 2, not X. X was disappointing too but it isn't pure trash
Oops.

I mean, the VA direction wasn't questionable in 1, I actually cared about Shulk and his conflict but couldn't for Rex, the super anime style was unnerving and it REALLY shows how bad it is when comparing Shulk's artwork from 1, 2 and Definitive, it goes full weeb which is insulting as it seems to think people only want to get the game for anime boobs, the boob jiggle physics are ****ing stupid as it's like the game wants you to pay attention to the boobs more than the actual story, having the same problem X had with not telling you enough **** about the game when 1 perfectly had a menu in case you forgot mechanics and stuff, Rex being a harem anime protagonist feels more deliberately "HEY KIDDOS YA LIKE ANEEM?" than 2 of the girls in 1 liking Shulk, I don't like the combat system being more radically different from 1 than X was despite 2 being billed as a game for people who were disappointed in X, etc

Also those designs are whack
I feel like the artstyle for Xenoblade Chronicles was always meant to be this way but wasn't fully realized due to hardware limitations. As for Xenoblade Chronicles 2...while I wouldn't call it anime trash I do get where you're coming from. Mythra and Nia probably shouldn't have been love interests as the former doesn't interact with him much and the latter has more interesting banter without the crushy stuff. The designs are also hit or miss. There are amazing ones like Wulfric, Zeke, and Pandora (Pandoria? Crap! I forgot her name.), but many of the others have weird things like Rex's leg armour, Roc's wierd neck bags, and the fact that everything about Pyra's design points to her boobs somehow. And then there's Dhalia who looks like she came from a porno (and unfortunately she's also irreplacable on my current team).

Rex and Pyra as characters are pretty solid though. I think the two and Mythra would be a good fit in smash.

...Flippy Donglebottom...
Oh god. I never put the first name and the misread last name together. THE IMAGERY!!!!!!

...would literally be a walking & talking USB stick.
I like this imagery soooooo much better.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I guess so.

But it's not like games like SMRPG don't have a bunch of exclusive stuff that can add to Smash. Besides, based on what PushDustIn said, Sakurai's statement was vague enough to where he could've literally just been referring to characters.
Like I said, I don't think future DLC will be focused on first party or existing world additions, but that does not discount the possibility of them happening. And Super Mario RPG is such an entirely disconnected world from the rest of both Mario RPGs, Mario mainstream, and Square Enix properties that I think it definitely fits the "new world" criteria well enough. It did at least get a Super Smash Bros. X Super Mario RPG logo when the Mii costume was revealed. So, I do think it operates a little differently.

I think a Xenoblade character and Geno are the two most likely "current franchises" to get into Smash. Xenoblade just has so much working towards it and only the first game is represented in any capacity. Geno has the Sakurai bias and a fairly unique world. And both characters have huge amounts of fan support and only exist as Spirits (and the Rex Mii costume).

My issue is the rest of how Sakurai talks means that the one mistranslated bit doesn't discount the rest of the context. Here's a transcript of the English:

"Finally, it was announced that we will be working on even more DLC fighters. To me, it feels like the finish line is sliding farther away. You may wonder, how much longer can he be involved in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? But I'm also excited. Adding more characters into the game means more game worlds will be added to the series and ultimately, that means there will be an even greater opportunity to delight the fans. At the same time, I feel that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is now representing so many characters and game worlds that it has become an enormous game. Even if the Super Smash Bros. series continues moving forward, I doubt there will ever be an opportunity to bring this many characters together again. So I want to keep improving on this record as much as possible, and I will continue to work hard at developing the game. I appreciate your support."

The footage also has specifically labeled for part of this presentation: "We will bring more game worlds together" and "There may never be another opportunity to have this many games world together."

Again, the context heavily implies that Sakurai is going to continue his focus on bringing in new game worlds. I can accept that one part of it was a translation error, but there's much more there that still hints at that being his focus. We obviously won't know for certain until we see the characters themselves, but I don't really see many other ways to take this clip.

Seeing a surprising amount of people suddenly believe Travis Touchdown is likely to be a newcomer. I'd love that, Suda's been begging for it since Brawl
I went all in on Travis after the announcement of more DLC. Suda is one of the few Japanese developers that is generally well known and also still absent from the game outside of a "Special Thanks" credit (which in of itself is kind of a big deal). He's a fan of Smash and good friends with Sakurai, so that positions him in a similar place as Snake. And then No More Heroes is a classic Wii series going through a resurgence. It just makes so much damn sense.

I can't wait to end up completely wrong about this one... BRING TRAVIS IN SMASH DAMN IT!

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Mortal Kombat would make sense as the next fighting game represented in Smash given that it's arguably the most popular one (at least on a Worldwide scale).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Seeing a surprising amount of people suddenly believe Travis Touchdown is likely to be a newcomer. I'd love that, Suda's been begging for it since Brawl
The big reason for that is that we all simmered down after his disconfirmation. And then E3 hit us with the long-awaited NMH3 and now with more DLC and Sakurai's meeting with him...

I just want my Brawl dreams to come true :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom