• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@R!3

Smash Ace
Not as broad as including any crazy character Sakurai feels like adding.
Sakurai was never going to add just anyone either way. My point is, there are safer choices Sakurai could've been limited to. Joker and Terry are risks as far as Smash goes. I don't recall seeing much in the way of requests for Joker till around November so he likely didn't have a lot of traction aside from Sakurai's own interest. Terry is a well known character from a less successful fighting game series whose largest fan bases reside in China, Mexico, and South America. Smash doesn't even exist in China yet after all, and Nintendo has no idea if the Switch will even take off there. Yet here we are.

Last edited:

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
There's just so much Kirby stuff in the game already when you start paying attention to everything outside of fighter (Which there are still three of).
I'd mostly say this is true, but... if you pay much closer attention, you'll realize that most of it is from the same four games: Dream Land 1, Adventure, Super Star, and Air Ride. All games that Sakurai directed. In fact, with the exceptions of spirits and two Final Smashes, these four games tend to be the theme of Kirby's representation. Mario's route has the Kirby trio fighting against each other in a Free-For-All. Gourmet Race is the Kirby dungeon in World of Light. Marx is almost entirely based on Super Star. The items and assists all originate from those games. I could go on.
Every single Kirby character has it rough in terms of Smash due to what I think must be a rigid direction Sakurai takes with his projects. Bandana Dee probably does have the best shot, but I fear that could mean he ends up being almost entirely a Megaton Punch reference. Is that what people want? I think not.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Its only fair. Most of the characters has been ones fans has been demanding so for Sakurai he could treat himself with a few.

Win-win.

D

Deleted member

Something I found funny.

A couple days ago, in response to Terry being revealed, I read a few people post saying "hopefully we can get more female newcomers with the additional characters to cater/appeal to female gamers."

They irony is... TERRY APPEALS TO FEMALE GAMERS, lol.

Dude is like the stereotypical pretty boy hunk, even has the long hair and everything. Like, obviously I don't speak for every girl out there, but you could literally put Terry into a romance novel as the male love interest, and he'd fit perfectly. And I'm not just saying that, lol. I came across some of the funniest posts on twitter from female Smash fans yesterday (which I won't be posting cause they're sexually explicit), but it just goes to show how much you guys know about what other people want, lol.

So can we please just admit that you want more female characters for the DLC cause you want a waifu or whatever, instead of virtue signalling and speaking for other groups when you clearly don't understand what they want? Just be honest, c'mon, lol. Stop trying to take the moral high ground to validate what you want.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Something I found funny.

A couple days ago, in response to Terry being revealed, I read a few people post saying "hopefully we can get more female newcomers with the additional characters to cater/appeal to female gamers."

Dude is like the stereotypical pretty boy hunk, even has the long hair and everything. Like, obviously I don't speak for every girl out there, but you could literally put Terry into a romance novel as the male love interest, and he'd fit perfectly. And I'm not just saying that, lol. I came across some of the funniest posts on twitter from female Smash fans yesterday (which I won't be posting cause they're sexually explicit), but it just goes to show how much you guys know about what other people want, lol.

So can we please just admit that you want more female characters for the DLC cause you want a waifu or whatever, instead of virtue signalling and speaking for other groups when you clearly don't understand what they want? Just be honest, c'mon, lol. Stop trying to take the moral high ground to validate what you want.
mfw I'm a guy and find Terry Cool just because he's a big ass looser who get drunk at bar, check up on woman and play arcades games all days until there a problem to solves where he becomes the straightest golden heart Hero possible.

guess I'm not the demographic.

D

Deleted member

Something I found funny.

You don't need to project onto others or speak as if all women are attracted to men to justify liking Terry, you can just admit that you find him hot like the rest of us.

D

Deleted member

mfw I'm a guy and find Terry Cool just because he's a big *** looser who get drunk at bar, check up on woman and play arcades games all days until there a problem to solves where he becomes the straightest golden heart Hero possible.

guess I'm not the demographic.
Well, obviously characters can appeal to multiple demographics, lol.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Joker is a new icon. Persona 5 is quickly becoming one of the most beloved JRPGs of all-time, both in Japan & the US. It’s basically this gen’s Final Fantasy VII.

He’s going to be remembered as the series’s Cloud.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
If we're talking about video game icons, then OBVIOUSLY we need someone from the video game Icons: Combat Arena ;p

jk I don't want that **** anywhere near Smash Ultimate

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Joker is a new icon. Persona 5 is quickly becoming one of the most beloved JRPGs of all-time, both in Japan & the US. It’s basically this gen’s Final Fantasy VII.

He’s going to be remembered as the series’s Cloud.
No more iconic debates.

PLEASE.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai may try to please as many people as possible while holding Smash Bros to a high standard as an overall game, so the question is what markets/audiences are left to be tapped into,

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
The BR shooter genre. They could add a Fortnite character (probably just various skins from the game), which could attract a massive audience in Smash.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Smash lacks shooters in general.
We have Samus, Dark Samus, Mii Gunner, Bayonetta, and Snake (kinda).
Fox, Falco, Wolf, ZSS, Diddy Kong, R.O.B., Bowser Jr., Joker, and Banjo have one move that shoots.
Duck Hunt also implies a shooter.
For such a major fighting style, it sure lacks fighters.
For 2D shooters, Bill Rizer from Contra comes to mind, and for FPSs, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, and Tracer are the major contenders.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Thought I'd drop my thoughts on the most likely picks for the Fighter Pack 5. I'm sort of leaning towards series that haven't been present in Smash as of yet so I don't see characters like Elma or Bandanna Dee as being likely (maybe the second wave we'll get more Nintendo fighters added though so we'll see), I'm not sure about spirits though so for now I'll leave characters like Geno, Shantae and Rayman out, they probably have a decent chance in the second wave however. In fact I feel like Geno is almost guaranteed for the second wave. Of course whenever someone says "guaranteed" when it comes to Smash they more than likely end up eating their words so we'll see...

For all I know I could be wayy off the mark and they'll pick a Goomba or something silly, but it's always fun to speculate.

5 - Travis Touchdown - Suda51 will be holding Sakurai hostage and he wouldn't let him go until Nintendo puts Travis in the game.

4 - Steve - Yes...I said it, Minecraft Steve is possible. Don't act like it isn't a possibility, just cuz you may not like the idea. He's almost inevitable tbh. (or at worst a Mii Swordfighter costume)

3 - Sora - Disney pretty much let's Nomura do what he wants with the Kingdom Hearts IP, plus DLC is a good opportunity to make extra money with that license so I don't think they'll be a problem. Square has now two fighters in the roster, and adding a third isn't out of the realms of possibility and (aside from geno) Sora's pretty much the next in line.

2 - Doomguy - Bethesda's been all over the switch! Doom one of their most iconic franchises and one of the godfathers of FPS shooters which heavily influenced games like Nintendo's Metroid Prime. Then again with Microsoft being so on board (plus already having a character now in the roster) I wouldn't hold it against Nintendo to go with Master Chief at this point (maybe a Mii costume).

1 - Crash Bandicoot - Although he is usually associated with PlayStation he has less to do with Play Station than both Cloud and Snake did whenever they were revealed. That said he's got a decent amount of demand and he's quite an icon in his own right despite falling off over the years. His current resurgence has made him a strong candidate, especially for wave 2 of DLC.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So now I need to discuss why Arle is once again a serious possibility. After all, she is not only my most wanted new Fighter for the game but it is also by a drastic, cosmic gap between her and Crash. So, I need to explain my logic in a way that makes sense, but also takes into account my bias and me possibly seeing things that aren't there. Bear in mind, I don't think she's on the same level as Doomguy, Crash, Geno, Waluigi or Ryu or anybody else, but I do think she is one of the strongest contenders so far. I would put her in the top 24 at least, though the highest I'd go is top 10, as the strongest SEGA character, strongest Compile character (though that company is dead, and even counting Heart her only real threat is Neptune, who I can now say isn't as popular), and between her, Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Shantae and Reimu is one of the top 5 strongest female candidates out of the third parties. Factoring in Dixie Kong, Elma, and other first party female candidates, I'm not quite sure where she ranks among those.
  1. Puyo Puyo has one of the largest audiences that does not overlap with not only no character currently on the DLC roster, no newcomers to Smash Ultimate in general, but outright nobody on the roster. Puyo Puyo has a unique combination of gameplay and character focus that combine to create a totally unique fanbase that, while there is no doubt people who would purchase both exist, the closest we get on the gameplay front, Dr. Mario, fails to provide a compelling cast of characters (beyond Dr. Mario World, which is also a gacha game and still not that focused on a set of character interactions like Puyo is, it just has a big roster).
    1. I would say no roster overlap, she is only beaten by Master Chief, Steve, Doom Slayer, and RE characters. No DLC overlap, that's a fair bit more that beat her. Fortunately she doesn't compete with them! They not only come from different companies but also have their own sets of individual styles and games!
  2. Arle provides something visually distinctive and functionally distinctive that cannot be replicated by anybody in the roster. That is, the mechanics of Puyo Puyo, such as chaining or Puyo generation in general. These give her something that allow her to stick out from the rest of the crowd, being something fresh and unique to Smash. For other things she can do, see her magical spells (which is also still very rare) and her pet Carbuncle, and while those are not as unique, they still would be very different from how others do them. This doesn't even take into account the things she can do in Madou Monogatari because I do not believe SEGA would permit that sort of content: with it, hoo boy.
  3. The weight has been lifted. The confirmation of More DLC has eradicated the idea that Joker has taken the only spot she could have had, regardless of truth to that statement. Every second character from a company may now rest easy, for beyond the pass anything is possible. As a corollary, the status of third parties remains yet to be seen, so I am acting off the assumption that while stages will slow down, they will not stop.
  4. Arle remains one of Japan's largest fan wants, though exact data cannot be provided. She might not be top dog in general, or even out of third parties alone, but I'm pretty sure there's a reason they didn't release Bayonetta's Japanese results as far back as Smash 4's ballot era: unlike in America and Europe, where her results as top 5 and number 1 respectively were revealed, her Japanese results were not, implying another SEGA character beat her and they couldn't pull the wool over their home country's eyes.
  5. With how much promotion Puyo Puyo has been getting in the west lately, it could be dismissed as a coincidence or the build up to something less. May I present the launch of SNES Online into this thread. SNES Online launched worldwide with one peculiar game. That game is Super Puyo Puyo 2. Not Kirby's Avalanche. Now why is this important, you may ask? SEGA continually insists on giving the west Mean Bean at nearly any opportunity. In fact, the only time I can think of they didn't substitute Mean Bean for Puyo 1 was very recently, the SEGA Ages port on Switch, and even more recently than that was the Genesis Mini which subs out Puyo Puyo 2 for Mean Bean Machine (and Puyo 1, but still). And on the Wii Virtual Console, you could not get Puyo 1. Only Kirby's Avalanche and Mean Bean Machine (as well as Puyo 2), though now that it's defunct it's a moot point. On the 3DS Virtual Console, we only got the Game Gear version of Mean Bean Machine, while Japan got not one, not two, not three, not four, but FIVE games that had Puyo Puyo involved. So I think the fact that we did not get Kirby's Avalanche as a substitute for Puyo Puyo 2 means something.
  6. Speaking of the west... let's just say my (Arle propaganda-- I mean, support) Twitter is approaching 300 followers. That's not that cool on paper, but I am struggling to get the attention of Puyo fans at large and I have 265 as of this writing. That's a nice, if somewhat small audience who would pay for her, even outside of the country she would attract the attention from... and it's not even a fraction of the English fanbase. I have like, not even 1% of the Japanese fanbase covered.
  7. Let's just say she's got legacy covered. A bunch of games that were made tried to capture the hype of Puyo Puyo 2 when it first launched in arcades: Dr. Mario 64 and Puzzle League in general take more than a few cues from Puyo Puyo games, such as casts of characters that play off each other in cutscenes. Puyo Puyo 2's arcade release was extremely popular, and if Terry is anything to go by, sometimes that's all you need. Considering Hero, Banjo and Terry all got in due to legacy, even when Banjo isn't very relevant, somebody who IS is likely to get a lot of focus.
  8. Isn't it kinda strange how SEGA both passed up new series as Mii Costumes and an Arle assist? No, instead we have Akira and purely Persona and Sonic Mii Costumes. Doesn't seem consistent with how much they've been pushing Puyo... which is exactly the same as how Square-Enix have been pushing Dragon Quest in the West. Which ended up leading up to Hero.
All these points together paint a picture in my eyes, and they don't rely on a leak or a theory (companion is dead, Terry took her color, and both of them related to the pass, costume theory is dead) to make it happen.

TLDR: Arle's not like anybody on the roster both series and fighter wise, isn't pressured by Joker, is big in Japan, is getting pushed in the west, to notable success, and has a lot of legacy. And yet has nothing to show for it yet, while a similar series Dragon Quest has gotten that push.

I think the writing is on the wall. It's not impossible I'm looking too deep into things, but. I think the writing is on the wall.

And now that I've said this, watch. Kazuma Kiryu will be fighter 6.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Right now out of all the DLC fighters, I've had 3 pleasings and 1 heartbreaker.

Here's a quote from another thread.
Since Brawl, fans have been capable of modding to convert assist trophies to playable characters. Either by just a skin or a complete moveset mod. It's also possible to reskin assist trophies and pokemon besides playable characters.

In addition to making mods to make assist trophies playable, what if we made mods to replace/reskin/retexture assist trophies that we made playable?

For example, back in Brawl marioking64ds made a Super Team Bot skin for the Waluigi assist trophy as an addition to his playable Waluigi mod.

View attachment 225655
Also, since Assist trophies can also be modded to replace the model, but not mechanics, I thought of the idea of if someone makes a mod to make an assist trophy playable, such as Waluigi (pictured above), we can simply mod the assist trophy texture by replacing it with a model of a character who looks similar and/or has similar proportions, such as Papyrus for Waluigi, Scourge for Shadow, or Cutman (megaman) for Bomberman.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Except neither are all that popular DLC speculation picks?

Rex & Pyra are more popular in Japan, and Geno is more popular in the West. Those characters would garner more hype and (likely) revenue for the same amount of effort.
Rayman and Bandana Dee have always been popular picks, wat? Lol

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Right now out of all the DLC fighters, I've had 3 pleasings and 1 heartbreaker.

Here's a quote from another thread.

Also, since Assist trophies can also be modded to replace the model, but not mechanics, I thought of the idea of if someone makes a mod to make an assist trophy playable, such as Waluigi (pictured above), we can simply mod the assist trophy texture by replacing it with a model of a character who looks similar and/or has similar proportions, such as Papyrus for Waluigi, Scourge for Shadow, or Cutman (megaman) for Bomberman.
Mods can't come close to the official stuff today like they could in Brawl as far as I know, and they may not even be as good as they were in Brawl with the unique animations and moves (not sure); plus, going through the trouble of installing the mods (which you can't use online or at least others won't see it) is also annoying, it's much better for it to be official by Sakurai and his team.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Something I found funny.

I'm frankly astounded that you've managed to miss the point of most people asking for more female characters in Smash by this much.

StormC

Smash Hero
If you want me to take you seriously, don't use the phrase "virtue signaling."

IceKitsune

Smash Apprentice
At this point, since we know we have more than 1 more character left, my number one wanted character is Kunio from the Kunio-kun series a.k.a. River City Ransom. Its pretty well known and popular in the West and Japan. Its a big NES series and its from a 3rd party. You could easily have all of the main characters in the game, Kunio/Riki/Kyoko/Misako as alts just like Hero is done. Kunio is basically the perfect pick lots of history, one of the last big NES games to not have representation, large amount of games to pull moves, spirits, music, a stage from etc.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm still very upset we never got the female versions of the Dragon Quest III and IV protagonists, only the male ones.

Hero3female.png Dq4_Heroine.jpg

Even if, given the choice with characters with multiple genders, I always go with the male since I'm male too (yes, I even play male Wii Fit Trainer), I still think it's a huge bummer that Square Enix or Sakurai or whoever opted not to include them, even if I understand making 2 more unique models was asking for a lot on top of the 4 unique models for the other heroes.

A lot of women like Dragon Quest, especially in Japan, but just adding the men won't satisfy every female Dragon Quest fan.

It's a different story for characters like Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton. Women are huge fans of those games, and wouldn't really complain if only the titular male leads were playable. Nonetheless, I have a hard time believing that including them but not any female characters, particularly female LEADS, from other games in the DLC would "solve the problem" so to speak.

Generally I don't like gamers, particularly male gamers, glossing over the fact that men regularly get prioritized over women as if it's not a big deal, but that's just me and my weird radical beliefs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm still very upset we never got the female versions of the Dragon Quest III and IV protagonists, only the male ones.

View attachment 237288 View attachment 237289

Even if, given the choice with characters with multiple genders, I always go with the male since I'm male too (yes, I even play male Wii Fit Trainer), I still think it's a huge bummer that Square Enix or Sakurai or whoever opted not to include them, even if I understand making 2 more unique models was asking for a lot on top of the 4 unique models for the other heroes.

A lot of women like Dragon Quest, especially in Japan, but just adding the men won't satisfy every female Dragon Quest fan.

It's a different story for characters like Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton. Women are huge fans of those games, and wouldn't really complain if only the titular male leads were playable. Nonetheless, I have a hard time believing that including them but not any female characters, particularly female LEADS, from other games in the DLC would "solve the problem" so to speak.

Generally I don't like gamers, particularly male gamers, glossing over the fact that men regularly get prioritized over women as if it's not a big deal, but that's just me and my weird radical beliefs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean, my beliefs make me think "It's kind of ****ed how Ganondorf, King of Evil, is the only character in on the CSS with dark skin" so I can't entirely disagree. Which now that i think about it, one of my favourite choices for a newcomer, Sol Badguy, is basically Indian. We stan even harder now

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Something I found funny.

I don't know, I've heard a lot of female gamers on here pretty upset, basically saying they only like to play with female characters. They definitely aren't happy.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I mean, my beliefs make me think "It's kind of ****ed how Ganondorf, King of Evil, is the only character in on the CSS with dark skin" so I can't entirely disagree. Which now that i think about it, one of my favourite choices for a newcomer, Sol Badguy, is basically Indian. We stan even harder now
Maaaaaaaaan we need way more "super duper popular and iconic" dark skinned characters in video games.

If indie characters are up for reconsideration in Smash DLC going forward, then Shantae can be a good start. She's voiced by someone of Lebanese and Latinx descent and everything.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
"But that doesn't matter! What matters is if they'd be fun to play!!1!" :rolleyes:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Maybe I'm ignorant, but I think part of that has to do with the lack of POC video game characters to choose from when it comes to Smash, and maybe the fact that Japan obviously isn't as diverse as a place like the states. I can't imagine too many black characters are coming out of Japan TBH.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe I'm ignorant, but I think part of that has to do with the lack of POC video game characters to choose from when it comes to Smash, and maybe the fact that Japan obviously isn't as diverse as a place like the states. I can't imagine too many black characters are coming out of Japan TBH.
I mean, Japan has been pushing for diversity and feminism for decades, and as seen with Watanbe's new anime which got on Netflix, diversity with skin colours has been pushed too. Although yeah, it's less that Smash has a problem with that and more of a gaming industry problem.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
A lot of characters now have coloured skin alts, which is a major improvement in the gaming industry all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom