• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Maybe this is what Sakurai is trying to do.

Joker for people who don’t own Nintendo consoles.

Hero for Japanese fans.

Banjo & Kazooie for American fans.

Terry for Latin American fans.

Hmm... if that’s the case then who would European fans get?
Professor Layton, Ace Attorney and Inazuma Eleven are apparently popular enough to be featured on the Nintendo of Europe character hubs for past couple years

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Jesus christ, this whole Terry argument is starting to echo the Erdrick debates we had months ago

"Ugh, another anime swordfighter/fighting game character"
"He's too similar to x character so he'd be lame"
"Nobody in America knows who this guy is, this Japanese game that's played by people all across the globe should cater to my American sensibilities. No I will not educate myself on the series' history and the influence it had on the gaming landscape because I refuse to step outside my comfort zone"
"it should've been x character from this company instead, they're way cooler"

Seriously, at least wait until we get a trailer before passing judgement on Terry! Regardless of how you feel about Hero's moveset, you can't deny that Sakurai put a ton of work into making him unique and not the "generic anime swordfighter" people feared he'd be. I'm almost certain Terry's gonna have some sort of fun gimmick that sets him apart from the Street Fighter characters, yall just need have more faith in Sakurai. I thought we learned not to judge a book by it's cover after Hero's reveal, but I guess we're stuck in this vicious cycle until the Fighters Pass is done.

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
In hindsight, Rock Howard is a missed opportunity. He's a perfect combination of Terry and Geese Howard. He's popular with a lot of SNK fans, but I don't think he's iconic as the sum of his parts.
No joke, I would burn my entire life savings and more just to get Rock into Smash as a playable fighter. He's one of the most well-executed "next generation" fighting game characters out there (yes, even moreso than the likes of Jin Kazama and Cassie Cage - that's just my opinion), but realistically it ain't happening, lest more people throw more stones at the "obscure fighting game company" throwing "an even more obscure fighter" into Smash, etc.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
All I really want from this SNK character pack...is a Spirit for Simea from Crystalis. So I can check him off the list.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If you're tired of hearing people say they don't want Terry, stop poking them and telling them they're wrong. It comes across as:
A: I don't like Terry.
B: Stop being so negative. Give them a chance.
A: Here's why I don't like Terry.
B: Omg, why do people keep complaining about Terry?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Hero for Japanese fans.

Laytonnnn
The final character could be for female gamers. The only possible contenders for the spot IMO is Velvet/Jill/Reimu.
Layton Layton Layton

And Phoenix Wright!

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Rock Howard is going to be a Mii Brawler costume, due to the Counter special move. I heard it from my source Bergeven But seriously I will be surprised if they miss out on this opportunity

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
If Terry is our character and we're getting SNK related mii costumes, I am expecting at least one of the following:
  • Kyo Kusanagi :ultbrawler: (heck, Mii Brawler's down air is literally the same as what Kyo's would be)
  • Iori Yagami :ultbrawler:
  • Geese Howard :ultbrawler:
  • Haohmaru :ultswordfighter:
  • Nakoruru :ultswordfighter:
  • Marco Rossi :ultgunner:
  • Fatal Fury hat :ultmiifighters:

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Jumping into this convo super late obviously (been crazy busy at work but I figured it was time to jump back in with all the leaks) and I must say, Terry is the most meh to me if he's the one we're getting. I guess it balances out the excitement I got from Banjo. I wasn't familiar with Persona before the pass either, but Joker just seemed much more interesting to me as a character in this game. I hope I'm proven wrong, but a bit disappointed if this is it.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Personally, I think the fighter pass has been absolutely spectacular! Personally I’m glad we are not getting crap choices (in my own opinion) like nakaruru.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
... I just thought of something.

It’s unimportant, but... I once replied to a twitter account that was playing with the idea of the next DLC character/IP having the initials of yet another fast food franchise.

You know, Dragon Quest = Dairy Queen.
Banjo Kazooie = Burger King.

So every reply played along.

And I just remembered... I bet for Taco Bell. :o
So if Terry Bogard is revealed, I might have accidentally guessed the next character! (Cause it was either him or Tron Bonne).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
... I just thought of something.

It’s unimportant, but... I once replied to a twitter account that was playing with the idea of the next DLC character/IP having the initials of yet another fast food franchise.

You know, Dragon Quest = Dairy Queen.
Banjo Kazooie = Burger King.

So every reply played along.

And I just remembered... I bet for Taco Bell. :o
So if Terry Bogard is revealed, I might have accidentally guessed the next character! (Cause it was either him or Tron Bonne).
Arby's

RB's

Ryu hayaBusa!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Personally, I think the fighter pass has been absolutely spectacular! Personally I’m glad we are not getting crap choices (in my own opinion) like nakaruru.
Not that Nakoruru is crap, per se. It's just that she's not the head honcho of SNK. Smash is for icons, not second stringers.

But I just realized something today.
I call it "Region Theory."
Sakurai said in 2016 that Bayonetta was the #1 choice in Europe.
Hero was likely chosen for Japan.
Banjo was likely the North American pick.
And according to what I've been hearing the past couple days, SNK is legendary in Latin America.
Notice a pattern? Every pick has been regional.
That, to me, means that the most likely pick for Pack 5 is going to be based on Australia. I would say Africa, but as far as I know, gaming is not very mainstream there. (Please don't dog pile me if I am dead wrong.)
What do you guys think? Does my so-called "Region Theory" make sense?

Buffalo Soldier

Smash Apprentice
Not that Nakoruru is crap, per se. It's just that she's not the head honcho of SNK. Smash is for icons, not second stringers.

But I just realized something today.
I call it "Region Theory."
Sakurai said in 2016 that Bayonetta was the #1 choice in Europe.
Hero was likely chosen for Japan.
Banjo was likely the North American pick.
And according to what I've been hearing the past couple days, SNK is legendary in Latin America.
Notice a pattern? Every pick has been regional.
That, to me, means that the most likely pick for Pack 5 is going to be based on Australia. I would say Africa, but as far as I know, gaming is not very mainstream there. (Please don't dog pile me if I am dead wrong.)
What do you guys think? Does my so-called "Region Theory" make sense?
Or... Antartica?

CLUB PENGUIN FOR SMASH!!!!!!!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
what if sakurai just blows us away and we get
OG Terry
Wolves Terry
Cutie Terry
Honestly? After the amount of love Joker and Hero got? Would not even be surprised.

D

Deleted member

Jesus christ, this whole Terry argument is starting to echo the Erdrick debates we had months ago

"Ugh, another anime swordfighter/fighting game character"
"He's too similar to x character so he'd be lame"
"Nobody in America knows who this guy is, this Japanese game that's played by people all across the globe should cater to my American sensibilities. No I will not educate myself on the series' history and the influence it had on the gaming landscape because I refuse to step outside my comfort zone"
"it should've been x character from this company instead, they're way cooler"

Seriously, at least wait until we get a trailer before passing judgement on Terry! Regardless of how you feel about Hero's moveset, you can't deny that Sakurai put a ton of work into making him unique and not the "generic anime swordfighter" people feared he'd be. I'm almost certain Terry's gonna have some sort of fun gimmick that sets him apart from the Street Fighter characters, yall just need have more faith in Sakurai. I thought we learned not to judge a book by it's cover after Hero's reveal, but I guess we're stuck in this vicious cycle until the Fighters Pass is done.
Then Terry will be out, and literally the day before he comes out Leffen will be making a Tweet ******** that Terry is OP because he can combo really well because of his drive cancels, and will brigade the entire community again on trying to get him banned from tournaments because he’s “anticompetitive” and everyone crying about Terry in these threads will join that bandwagon even though they give zero ****s about competitive play, and Leffen was just being a troll for attention as usual.

ze9

Smash Ace
Banjo already works pretty well as Europe's character, lol.
I still think #5 is going to be Doomguy.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
*wakes up*

*sees people talking about female characters in Smash*

*sees people talking about "attractive" female characters in Smash*

*sees people talking male sexualisation in games being the same as sexualisation of women*

Nope, not today Satan.

Hopefully we can all bond later over how cool Terry's reveal trailer is and how good that direct was. But for today I might need to stay away because this conversation was not fun to read over this early in the morning.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
How successful WERE Rare's games in Europe, anyway?

I know they saw success in their early days as "Ultimate Play the Game" making stuff for the ZX Spectrum because, for a while in that region, home consoles weren't that popular compared to home computers. But do Rare's DKC and Nintendo 64 games have any notable success in Europe, compared to other regions, or is it similar to the US in terms of sales?

ze9

Smash Ace
How successful WERE Rare's games in Europe, anyway?

I know they saw success in their early days as "Ultimate Play the Game" making stuff for the ZX Spectrum because, for a while in that region, home consoles weren't that popular compared to home computers. But do Rare's DKC and Nintendo 64 games have any notable success in Europe, compared to other regions, or is it similar to the US in terms of sales?
I don't know about sales data, but I know that every kid back then knew Banjo.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
As per usual I’m late to a previous topic, but here I go.

With Smash 4 I was disappointed with the base roster. Most of the picks (Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, PAC Man, Mii Fighters, Rosalina, Robin, Dark Pit, Shulk, Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt) didn’t appeal to me. Not to mention the amount of characters I loved in Brawl (especially Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake) we’re cut. To say I was underwhelmed by the Smash 4 base roster would be an understatement.

But the DLC helped remedy that with picks like Bayonetta and Cloud, along with returning veterans in Mewtwo and Lucas made Smash 4 a little redeemed to me. I didn’t care for Ryu or Corrin, and I was never the biggest fan of Roy, but glad he returned for those who wanted him.

Then Ultimate brought back every single character, and added my most wanted characters (Ridley and K. Rool). The remaining base roster were either picks I was alright with (Isabella, Inklings, and Incinaroar) or I didn’t really like but didn’t mind their inclusion (Simon/Richtor, Ken) because my favorites got in.

Meanwhile this DLC pass, Pirahna Plant was a fun addition, and I’m looking forward to Banjo, but as a fighters pass in general I’m disappointed (mostly in myself for buying the pass without knowing the contents of it beforehand). I don’t care for Joker, Hero, or Terry, and if the final character is Ryu, then that’ll make it only 1 out of 5 characters I like. I understand why these characters were chosen, but for my own personal investment, I should have been more stingy with my purchase, especially after my disappointment with the Smash 4 roster.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'mma be honest, I just love Smash. I think every addition is a great addition. Whether they appeal to me or not I've had a lot of fun watching characters get in and the roster evolve as time went on. So, I bought the Pass in an instant.

I knew that should something come along that I wasn't a fan of, like say Joker, that I could learn to love the character and have them introduce me to their world. And you know what? I absolutely did. Do I want my two most wanted, Hayabusa and Doom Slayer, to be the final 2? Sure, but I knew from the get go that they were unlikely so I took speculation in stride and made the best of it. The characters are a 5/5 for me, I think they're all great and I know whatever comes will be too. And I think all this is because of how damn good the base game is. We forget to take a step back in time and look at what we were given initially and appreciating it and, quite frankly, the base game was a 10/10 since E3 of 2018 and everything else? I couldn't have even dreamed of. K. Rool? Simon? Banjo? Amazing.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Speaking of Rare (and consequently Microsoft), i think there's a high chance they'll show in the Direct that Minecraft content Vergeben was talking about. My bet: Minecraft Mii Costume.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I just have to say one thing that consistently irks me about the Smash community is how little they actually know about games outside of Nintendo releases.

If Nintendo-published games are the ONLY thing you know about games, you've narrowed your gaming worldview to a tiny sliver and I truly feel bad for you. You don't need Smash to introduce you to franchises you haven't known. Get out there and play more games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of Rare (and consequently Microsoft), i think there's a high chance they'll show in the Direct that Minecraft content Vergeben was talking about. My bet: Minecraft Mii Costume.
My bet, no Minecraft anything.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Rock Howard isn't gonna be in Smash because a different Howard will get in at some point in the future :p (From Astral Chain)
Also :
The final character could be for female gamers. The only possible contenders for the spot IMO is Velvet/Jill/Reimu.
LITERALLY LAYTON MY DUDES
ALSO POPULAR CHARACTER IN EUROPE

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Hero for Japanese fans.

>Character popular with female gamers
>Character popular in Europe

Stand up Layton bros and sisters, our time has finally arrived!

layton gun.png

Lets rock!

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Then Terry will be out, and literally the day before he comes out Leffen will be making a Tweet ******** that Terry is OP because he can combo really well because of his drive cancels, and will brigade the entire community again on trying to get him banned from tournaments because he’s “anticompetitive” and everyone crying about Terry in these threads will join that bandwagon even though they give zero ****s about competitive play, and Leffen was just being a troll for attention as usual.
Hell, only reason I keep seeing his stupid crap is because people keep posting his Tweets and Twitch clips on /r/smashbros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom