• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Thanks, I appreciate the understanding. It really is rather depressing not being able to be experience any excitement for new characters like others do.
I mean, that’s kinda how I felt about Smash 4 until Cloud was revealed.

I was happy for people who got what they wanted, but none of the base newcomers were exciting to me in the slightest. I was just open to see what they offered, and accepted the additions mechanically. I learned to be interested in what they could offer even if I didn’t really much care for them prior to.

I mean, Villager, WiiFit, Rosalina, Greninja, Miis, TWO more FE characters (and not even the one I wanted), Shulk, Bowser Jr.

Compared to Brawl, it was horribly unexciting overall. Only the DLC managed to salvage it with the likes of Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, but that was only 3 characters with Corrin being a horrible blemish, and then 3 vets everyone was happy to see back, but I personally was never too keen on. I just learned to be happy for the sake of others, and just deal with it. Learn to be a fan of something you might not otherwise care for.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I respect others opinions but I don't get how some says Sm4sh's DLC was better when especially some of them were just returning or cut characters to begin with...

:ultlucas::ultmewtwo::ultroy:

Whereas Ultimate's even Base-wise has given us the gold.

:ultkrool::ultridley::ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well they are totally giving us the characters that no one wanted or cared about. By the way, for those that are saying Rayman isn't a good edition, I will state that he was higher in the ballot than anyone from SNK or these other companies.

I agree with some posters, this DLC pack has been mostly lame sauce. Banjo was the only real character that drove any hype and that people wanted.
[citation needed]
The problem is that I don’t like any of the dlc characters so far, at all. I’m being let down extremely hard this entire fighter pass, and for those that are like me, it’s not even possible to simply “appreciate what we got” when nothing we’ve got have appealed to us whatsoever.
You can't appreciate any of the 70+ characters in base roster?

I mean, you didn't buy the Pass, so it's not like you paid for something you didn't end up wanting. If your tastes are so specific, what did you expect?
SNK and Persona haven't really been on Nintendo consoles so that argument fails. Also these characters are iconic even outside of the United States. However, the United States represents 60-70% of all video game sales so I would say it is a very IMPORTANT market.
Factually wrong!
I have owned everyone Nintendo console except the SNES and the handhelds through most of my time. I do not recognize any of the games or characters referenced through thread. I am a HUGE Nintendo fan. I have been on here and followed closely since the Brawl era (look at my signup date). I tell you that SNK is very obscure. This is why it is very unpopular on here right now.
Anecdotal evidence!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
-I Think it would make Geno (and Chocobo's) Costume absence more suspicious. I'm Gonna assume the Geno Costume was popular when it came to mii costumes. It would be weird that the one costume that got a Splash art last game got cut, while Jacky and Akira is still here
It could be that Square Enix was just being difficult and wouldn't allow them to use Geno as both a Mii Costume and a Spirit. It was one or the other. So Sakurai settled on the Spirit instead.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I respect others opinions but I don't get how some says Sm4sh's DLC was better when especially some of them were just returning or cut characters to begin with...

I can't lie

I was stoked Lucas came back and got his own Amiibo.

ZelDan

Smash Master

:ultbayonetta::ultcloud: Alone almost entirely crush anything Ultimate has offered for me. Only thing that comes close is :ultsimon::ultrichter:, but they got spoiled the day beforehand so that lost them some hype points (still hype though)

When we get into Smash 4 base, :ultmegaman::ultrosalina::ultpacman::ultpalutena::ultlucina::ultshulk: just put Smash 4 so far ahead of Ultimate it's not funny.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
A few days ago, @Garteam made an analysis about the leaked trademark. Here it is:
Not to impose my own ideas, but I already said why this can't be the case:
For the matter being, said copyright is the same in other trailers with SNK characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgMIlAYrXGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MK2TKFFtQA
I wouldn't call this notice a "copy-paste" from SNK Heroines.
On top of that, with leakers backing Terry up, the idea of this being just a screw-up from the web manager is almost impossible.

cothero

Smash Lord
I suppose for some of us, female characters happen to be the main thing we’re interested in. So that glaring issue affects us more than you’d think. I do like some male characters too, but none of the ones I like have been added either.
You're kinda obsessed with female characters, aren't you? I mean, there's a lot of female fighter in the base game.

StormC

Smash Hero
Mewtwo coming back was great and Lucas was neat but it’s not the same with cut veterans. Cloud was, for me, the first (and only) hands-on-head DLC reveal for me in Smash 4. And I love Cloud and he instantly became my main but he couldn’t make up for the rest of the characters doing nothing for me.

Joker and Banjo alone singlehandedly made the Pass worth full admission. Two of my top 5 favorite games are represented on it. Basically over the moon.

Oh yeah, and Everyone Is Here (especially Snake and Wolf) along with Ridley and King K. ****ing Rool. It’s honestly like this game was made for my tastes.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I remember people trying to disprove ESRB because :4duckhunt: was basically "not Takumaru" and "no move set potential".

Essentially, trying to prove it fake by why a single character could not be in.
And I am so thankful Sakurai finally vindicated me. :4duckhunt:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I dont know, not including fem Terry seems so weird especially with how popular she is and how easy shed be to add as well as there being no girl fighters. She literally kills so many birds with a single stone.

I think shes in but if she isnt it wouldnt shock me but it would leaving me feeling confused as she has 0 reason to not be an alt

D

Deleted member

NGL, I am looking forward to the SNK pick which is pretty much confirmed to be Terry at this point. It is kinda exciting to get a character you don't know much about and can bring something new to the game.

Dunno what Sakurai or Nintendo is trying to do with the pass, but at least the combination of characters is quite interesting. Really hope the people that haven't gotten a character that appeals to them, can get an appealing one.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Hoping hes wrong. It would be such a huge missed opportunity to not put her in
Not as much a missed opportunity as female DQ alts. NGL, if Terry got a female alt and the DQ characters didn't, I'd have been quite upset.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Kyo is as similar to Ryu as as Ryu is to Ganondorf.
Oh, my apologies, I mistook Kyo for Ryo..similar name and all..

I love King of Fighters yet I completely forgot who Ryo even was..so that kinda tells you how much I see him getting in over a bigger name like Terry Bogard or even Mai Shiranui (if they censor her some).

Still, the one character I'd love but know I'll never get to see is Goddess Athena from Athena..

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Not as much a missed opportunity as female DQ alts. NGL, if Terry got a female alt and the DQ characters didn't, I'd have been quite upset.
The hero lacking one makes sense since there are already 4 different alts and 2 of them didnt have a girl alt so it wouldnt have evened out

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I dont know, not including fem Terry seems so weird especially with how popular she is and how easy shed be to add as well as there being no girl fighters. She literally kills so many birds with a single stone.

I think shes in but if she isnt it wouldnt shock me but it would leaving me feeling confused as she has 0 reason to not be an alt
To be fair, despite being a thing that does canonically happen to Terry in his series I don't think it's really important enough to take up a whole alt skin.

Then again we have Advent children cloud, fierce diety Link and Pikachu libre so I guess anything's on the table

7NATOR

Smash Master
Can Female Terry fit as an alt is the question. Is she too small for example? i can see not including her if they have to make Body adjustments and such, it may not be worth it to them

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
SNK and Persona haven't really been on Nintendo consoles so that argument fails.
Well THAT'S blatently false. Lots of SNK games have been on Nintendo consoles, and the Megami Tensei series STARTED on Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Can Female Terry fit as an alt is the question. Is she too small for example? i can see not including her if they have to make Body adjustments and such, it may not be worth it to them
PapaGenos heard that there isnt an alt, but obviously never say never.

I think there should be a female alt for Terry. If they did it for the worst character in Smash history, Corrinball, then they should do it for Terry.

My super crazy theory: Nakoruru and Mai are gonna hop in for attacks as part of Terry's moveset so he's not Ken w/ a hat

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
I'll just paste what Vergeben said in Gamefaqs here, 'cause he's so damn right.

"I agree with this. It actually is more of a positive that both were leaked before because it allowed people to familiarize themselves with what & who the characters are ahead of time. The DQ Heroes had a lot more time for people to educate and discover Dragon Quest and what makes the series special. But things are going well ever since I would say.

I hope that because of Terry it resulting in people understanding why SNK games are so important to gaming & fighting game history as a whole. What they did first and what mechanics they introduced."

Link:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77985350?jumpto=7#7

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I guess it would depend on how they decide to portray regular Terry, sometimes he looks like he's on steroids but other times he looks relatively normal in bulk. If they go with the latter she could be a possible alt.

I don't think it would actually happen but it's nice to dream lol the nodding community probably has some work to do that's for sure.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Dunno what Sakurai or Nintendo is trying to do with the pass, but at least the combination of characters is quite interesting. Really hope the people that haven't gotten a character that appeals to them, can get an appealing one.
Maybe this is what Sakurai is trying to do.

Joker for people who don’t own Nintendo consoles.

Hero for Japanese fans.

Banjo & Kazooie for American fans.

Terry for Latin American fans.

Hmm... if that’s the case then who would European fans get?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Hero for Japanese fans.

I'd argue still Banjo.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
The final character could be for female gamers. The only possible contenders for the spot IMO is Velvet/Jill/Reimu.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Hero for Japanese fans.

Terry applies for Chinese fans too, especially since Nintendo plans to launch the Switch in China soon and SNK is partnered with big time Chinese publisher Tencent (the same people behind the Epic Games Store)

StormC

Smash Hero
My perspective might be different because going into the Fighters Pass, there weren’t a lot of third party series left that I really love that weren’t in Smash. I felt I could only really expect 2-3 characters that resonated with me. Persona and Banjo were the major ones and I lucked out big time.

Outside of Bomberman who is deconfirmed, third party series not yet in that I would like to see include mostly: DMC, RE, Ace Attorney, Ninja Gaiden, Crash, Kingdom Hearts...that’s kinda it. And three of those are Capcom so the fact that I’m 2/4 so far is simply astonishing.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The final character could be for female gamers. The only possible contenders for the spot IMO is Velvet/Jill/Reimu.
Terry technically fits that mold too.

Terry applies for Chinese fans too, especially since Nintendo plans to launch the Switch in China soon and SNK is partnered with big time Chinese publisher Tencent (the same people behind the Epic Games Store)
Personally, I hope Nintendo goes all in on appealing to China because if it can net SNK and Touhou in Smash that'd be incredible.

KatKit

Smash Lord
In hindsight, Rock Howard is a missed opportunity. He's a perfect combination of Terry and Geese Howard. He's popular with a lot of SNK fans, but I don't think he's iconic as the sum of his parts.

Anyone else replaying Capcom vs SNK 2? And for those of you who are interested, it's on PSN (and you can buy it online if you have a PS2, Xbox, GameCube, or backwards compatible Wii). It's a very solid 2D crossover team-based fighting game with a large roster featuring Capcom and SNK all-stars. You can choose different mechanics (selectable playstyles called "Grooves") incorporated from various fighters like Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter III, KoF '94, KoF '97, and Samsho for each character that changes how you can parry, dash, recovery, counterattack, walk, roll, perform supers, etc.

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
What about getting out of your comfort zone and play new games?
That'll help you out to appreciate more some characters and I don't know, you may find one of your all time favorites along the way.
A lot of people have gotten into certain franchise thanks to Smash, that was my case with Shulk and now years later I'm in love with the Xeno series.
Playing new games is tough for me to do these days, I can’t muster up the motivation anymore unless the game really excites me in some way. Furthermore, I can usually tell if I have potential to like a character. Usually I think it’d be that if I like a character or have interest in it, I might check out their game. But it usually wouldn’t happen the other way around.
I mean, that’s kinda how I felt about Smash 4 until Cloud was revealed.

I was happy for people who got what they wanted, but none of the base newcomers were exciting to me in the slightest. I was just open to see what they offered, and accepted the additions mechanically. I learned to be interested in what they could offer even if I didn’t really much care for them prior to.

I mean, Villager, WiiFit, Rosalina, Greninja, Miis, TWO more FE characters (and not even the one I wanted), Shulk, Bowser Jr.

Compared to Brawl, it was horribly unexciting overall. Only the DLC managed to salvage it with the likes of Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta, but that was only 3 characters with Corrin being a horrible blemish, and then 3 vets everyone was happy to see back, but I personally was never too keen on. I just learned to be happy for the sake of others, and just deal with it. Learn to be a fan of something you might not otherwise care for.
Some people are capable of being more open-minded or happy for others. I wouldn’t say I’m one of those to any significant extent, but with time, I can accept things and move on.
You can't appreciate any of the 70+ characters in base roster?

I mean, you didn't buy the Pass, so it's not like you paid for something you didn't end up wanting. If your tastes are so specific, what did you expect?
I like a few of the characters in the base roster, but not being able to look forward to any new characters is disappointing. I don’t necessarily think I’m that specific with my tastes either, I just generally have little to no interest in male characters outside of a few from franchises I’ve know my whole life and/or grew up playing them. And well, this is looking like an all male fighter pass.
You're kinda obsessed with female characters, aren't you? I mean, there's a lot of female fighter in the base game.
They are just what I’m into, and yes, I like a few from the base roster. But not getting any new ones is disappointing, as I’ve already mentioned.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman

Hero for Japanese fans.

The only characters for fans of Europe I can think of is Rayman, Ezio or Geralt(I know he's not he's a video game character but still).

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see Jill come to Smash, although I’m not sure how likely she’d get the spot instead of Leon even if Resident Evil got a crossover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom