• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
No. Hero and Link are characters who do different things, from different genres, who's games play totally differently, who have totally different artstyles. Hero engages in turn based combat and uses an assortment of different spells. Link engages in real time combat and uses different items.

Banjo and Duck Hunt are again, characters from totally different genres, with totally different proportions, depicted in totally different art styles, from different eras of gaming. Hell, they aren't even the same species.

The equivalencies between Terry and Ken are closer to those between Marth and Ike than they are Link and Hero, or Banjo and Duck Hunt.

Too many. And yet, that is a reductive similarity compared to the one between Ken and Terry. Marth and Hero are both anime sword boys with capes. Yet they function totally differently in their games, they are drawn in totally different art styles, they come from different genres, and they use different techniques.
I don't understand why you're calling all of these other equivalences reductive when you yourself are arguing in favor of a viewpoint that reduces Ken and Terry into this "too similar" mindset. On top of this, the argument of "different artstyle" makes no sense to me because past the CVS series Ken and Terry haven't really shared an art style, especially recently.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
They would need to have this mechanic because that mechanic was made for ryu in smash to represent fighting games as a whole. If it wasn't, then he wouldn't have it at all and he'd play like any other smash fighter. Terry not having it when he also comes from quite a similar fighting game would make no sense.
Except it would make sense, because these come from Street Fighter. Saying Ryu's mechanics are representative of fighting games as a whole and nothing different can be done for a fighting game character in Smash is like saying no other platformer character should be different from Mario or no JRPG character should be different from Hero.

And even if he did have these mechanics... there's nothing stopping Sakurai from adding something else to Terry. Other mechanics that Street Fighter doesn't have. Because, you know, SF and Fatal Fury's only similarities are that they are 2D-based and use input commands. That's it, really. And even the former is done in a different way between the two franchises.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If they take Ryu and Ken's gimmick of replicating their original game and putting that on Terry so many people are gonna hate him lol

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
We did. It's called "accepting that some characters are only kinda different from others." You just refuse to stand in that middle ground where the rest of us are.
Again, another reductive response meant to insult people for having a dissenting opinion. What does it mean to stand in that middle ground to you? That I have to be excited about Terry? That people can't point out that there were other, more unique candidate they could have gone with? It just comes down to "I like this, your criticisms are invalid."

I don't understand why you're calling all of these other equivalences reductive when you yourself are arguing in favor of a viewpoint that reduces Ken and Terry into this "too similar"
It feels like you aren't engaging with the content of what I'm saying. You're just jumping to one extreme.

Ryu/Ken, are from the same genre. The same time period. They have the same proportions. Their games have pretty much the same mechanics. They have the same role in said games of being the generic, balanced protagonist character.

Literally non of those things are true for Hero and Link, or Banjo and Duck Hunt. Can we not acknowledge that difference and similarity is a spectrum? Do we have to keep treating it like characters are either completely unique or complete clones?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't understand why you're calling all of these other equivalences reductive when you yourself are arguing in favor of a viewpoint that reduces Ken and Terry into this "too similar" mindset. On top of this, the argument of "different artstyle" makes no sense to me because past the CVS series Ken and Terry haven't really shared an art style, especially recently.
CvS literally brought both series' artist to draw every character in both series' art style, even.

EDIT: (Oh I guess there's an issue with images)

Sprites were done by Capcom however, but SvC, SNK's take, had a completely different sprite artstyle anyway lol.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
"MaRiO aNd SoNiC aRe BoTh cHaRacTerS FroM PlaTfOrm GaMeS, sO ThEy MuSt bE SiMiLaR" :smileye:
those characters have vastly differing abilities. That being said, they do both kinda just punch and kick a lot as well. People complain about how unoriginal and boring sonic's moveset is all the time, so I'm not sure where you're coming from here. Terry doesn't have immense speed to mask it though, like Sonic does, however.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Uh, do we consider the following??

https://segmentnext.com/2019/09/02/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-2/

Mighty coincidence how Solid Snake, Cloud AND Ryu are listed together but also all in Smash.
Would be ****ing awesome if real.
If only. The fact that Spider-Man and Cloud are there is a big deconfirm because you're asking two very stingy companies to give their IPs to a game in a series that already flopped once

Also Delsin Rowe? Seriously? Second Son wasn't even as good as 2
I doubt Spider-Man would be a problem for licensing, Sony got permission to make a videogame and Capcom got trusted with him for MvC. Also are we still going with the whole 'Square Enix is stingy' shtick? Reality has shown that not to be the case.

(Second Son best inFamous don't @ me)
If YoU CaNt sEe tHe DifFeRenCe YOurE a CloWn

This but unironically.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I still feel there may be something more to Terry, something unique like 3 snk characters, terry, nakoruru, and Fio, pokemon trainer style, because Sakurai keeps pushing himself to the death

Youre all acting like children jeez
These are smash fans, what else do you expect?

ZelDan

Smash Master
Remember when people thought that Erdrick would play too similarily to other Sword users, because he just so happened to have a sword handle between his fingers?

Look how that turned out...

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, at this point who cares how similar or different Terry is compared to the rest of the Smash characters. The point is he looks like a boring and generic ****ing character and Nakoruru is much more interesting and unique. It's that simple.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I still feel there may be something more to Terry, something unique like 3 snk characters, terry, nakoruru, and Fio, pokemon trainer style, because Sakurai keeps pushing himself to the death
Essentially getting 3 characters in one pack seems like a lot to expect. I honestly think Terry's just gonna have meter. Give me MAX mode, EX moves and supers please.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
It feels like you aren't engaging with the content of what I'm saying. You're just jumping to one extreme.

Ryu/Ken, are from the same genre. The same time period. They have the same proportions. Their games have pretty much the same mechanics. They have the same role in said games of being the generic, balanced protagonist character.

Literally non of those things are true for Hero and Link, or Banjo and Duck Hunt. Can we not acknowledge that difference and similarity is a spectrum? Do we have to keep treating it like characters are either completely unique or complete clones?
I understand what it is you're saying but it feels like it's coming from a misunderstanding of the character. Just because they're similar looking characters from the same genre doesn't somehow cheapen their inclusion. This idea that Terry and Ken are too similar just doesn't make sense to me because of that. It's like calling Ragna and Sol Badguy too similar despite them both being unique characters in their own right.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Essentially getting 3 characters in one pack seems like a lot to expect. I honestly think Terry's just gonna have meter. Give me MAX mode, EX moves and supers please.
Oh its most likely just aterry with those things, like, 90%, but of its more that would be pretty nuts. A lot to do but Sakurai does.... push himself too much.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
This thread rn comes off as "i dont know who terry is and im angry i didnt get who i wanted and instead of coming up w an objective argument im going to just say buzzwords to degrade terry and say he doesnt deserve to be in because i wanted a diff char"

This feels like corrin 2.0 in terms of ppl being angry

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
This thread rn comes off as "i dont know who terry is and im angry i didnt get who i wanted and instead of coming up w an objective argument im going to just say buzzwords to degrade terry and say he doesnt deserve to be in because i wanted a diff char"

This feels like corrin 2.0 in terms of ppl being angry
No. I just don't want development time and resources wasted on what is essentially Ken with a hat. At least Corrin was unique and came with a cute female barefoot version. Terry is lame.

Last edited:

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
I understand what it is you're saying but it feels like it's coming from a misunderstanding of the character. Just because they're similar looking characters from the same genre doesn't somehow cheapen their inclusion.
Whether it cheapens their inclusion or not depends on your perspective. If you're a fan of Terry already, then maybe not. Maybe you are just excited to have Terry Bogard in Smash.

But for someone who isn't a KoF guy, and isn't a fan of Terry, I'm looking at it as well, this could have been a super unique or super iconic new character that broadens the scope of the Smash roster by representing a new genre, or a new corner of video games. Instead, it's the main guy from the less important version of Street Fighter.

Not a terribly unique or unusual character. Not an unrepresented franchise. Not a particularly unique game. But also not a particularly iconic or popular character.

im angry i didnt get who i wanted
Yes. Anyone who doesn't think Terry Bigard is the most unique inclusion ever added to Smash, must have a secret ulterior motive.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I understand what it is you're saying but it feels like it's coming from a misunderstanding of the character. Just because they're similar looking characters from the same genre doesn't somehow cheapen their inclusion. This idea that Terry and Ken are too similar just doesn't make sense to me because of that. It's like calling Ragna and Sol Badguy too similar despite them both being unique characters in their own right.
... wait, why did you quote me there?

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
"Ken with a hat" has to be the lamest response i have ever seen in regards to a character. You actually sound like a kid whos never played anything but a couple of nintedo games.

Ken and Terry are literally nothing a like in game play or lore outside of being blonde, being nice and American.
He doesnt share a single move with ken and they're nothing alike at all.

The comparison is ridiculous and childish. Im sorry you didn't get bandanna dee or geno or whoever else. But just throwing out meaningless insults towards terry is lame. Pls go play other video games sometimes.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Also it's weird seeing some people call a Terry reveal underwhelming because for me a common sentiment I see outside this forum is people being LIVID this leaked because it would've been the hypest reveal for them.

Lotta people love SNK and KoF man, especially latin america. No one thought a character from them would get in Smash so it would've been Joker levels of "holy crap this actually happened" out of left field. Would've been SUCH a cool surprise.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
We're also deadset on the idea that it's Terry and not Haohmaru/Metal Slug Rep/Something else? Maybe I've just been Grinchpilled too hard but isn't it possible for someone else?

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
We're also deadset on the idea that it's Terry and not Haohmaru/Metal Slug Rep/Something else? Maybe I've just been Grinchpilled too hard but isn't it possible for someone else?
Considering how right theyve been on top of nintendo leaking snk on top of 2 ppl agreeing on it im like 99.9% sure its Terry

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Leakers have been saying that it's him and he was always the clear SNK candidate anyway. That said though, a part of me is still hoping it could be Kyo.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It is ****ing ridiculous how like people can't even acknowledge the history Terry and SNK brings to Smash. There's a reason the other big Vs. series was SNK vs. Capcom.

Terry has ground projectiles, a totally different aesthetic style, and overall a different cooler attitude than Ken. He's a lot more comparable to Captain Falcon. I get not knowing the guy but you don't gotta be like that.

came with a cute female barefoot version.
bruh

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
"Ken with a hat" has to be the lamest response i have ever seen in regards to a character. You actually sound like a kid whos never played anything but a couple of nintedo games.

Ken and Terry are literally nothing a like in game play or lore outside of being blonde, being nice and American.
He doesnt share a single move with ken and they're nothing alike at all.

The comparison is ridiculous and childish. Im sorry you didn't get bandanna dee or geno or whoever else. But just throwing out meaningless insults towards terry is lame. Pls go play other video games sometimes.
Hat Goomba and Geno are lame as well. I just want at least one female character in the fighter pass.

ze9

Smash Ace
I don't understand how you can't see Terry's appeal. And I speak as someone who really wanted the SNK rep to be from Metal Slug, but I mean: Terry definitely has that SNK charm.
-He's a street brawler and his urban look is completely different from anybody else in the roster
-He has EXPLOSIVE PUNCHES
-He asks "ARE YOU OK???" before blasting your face
-He just screams '90s. Just looking at him you can feel that weird moist smell that's always in the arcades, and the flavor of cold fresh beer in your mouth
Also, you really think Sakurai won't give him some crazy mechanic to make him standout from both Ryu/Ken and the rest of the roster? Hero was the 23648713461th generic anime swordsman, and yet he has the most unique moveset in the game.
I' admittedly in a very zen phase because I got Banjo and I'm open to pretty much anything 3rd party-wise, but boy I'm really hyped about Terry. Can't wait to see him in action.

Last edited:

FrederickCrescent

Smash Rookie
This is dope af aha im genuinely happy for you
thanks, i will say this, as huge a fan as I am of SNK (really only from playing cvs2 for a while in my life in arcades) to me it was sort of obvious we would get an snk rep and terry is a bit more commercial friendly and easily recognizable then lets say kyo or nakoruru. i would have been happier knowing we got either doomguy, ryu hayabusa, reimu, or nightmare from SC but im not gonna complain about extra content, period. i have faith he will be a great character and will play significantly different compared to lets say ryu and ken since alot of us can group them together since "2d fighters," which is understandable. i am still very excited to find out and await whoever 5th DLC could be, and if people aren't satisfied with these 5, I am almost certain there will be more DLC/another seasons pass or whatever its called, where we will be graced with more content. Not only is this game an absolute goldmine for nintendo and whoever else is in on it, it also building great relations im assuming between alot of companies and its a beautiful thing to behold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom