• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm so glad that I like a myriad of characters. Assuming #doomabusa is true, then I'll have only gotten one character in the Fighter's Pass that I adamantly wanted being Banjo.
There are children in 3rd world countries that don't even get one character they're excited for in the pass!

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I want Layton in but if it's Ryu Hayabusa I'll be extremely HYPED
That's something I wouldn't have said months ago lmao

ze9

Smash Ace
Reggie: "the DLC characters are going to be unexpected!"
The fanbase: predicts every single one, for once

D

Deleted member

Once all the DLC Fighters are released, I'm gonna lament over it.

Screw leak culture and everything about it. I don't know what's so good about exposing surprises but isn't the feeling better if it's a surprise rather than an expected guest?

They just don't understand.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
This is why most fighting games announce multiple dlc characters in advance 'cause they know people be leaking for a living lol
Leak culture does suck tho, if you're basically on the internet all the time there's literally no way you can avoid them :(

D

Deleted member

This is why most fighting games announce multiple dlc characters in advance 'cause they know people be leaking for a living lol
Leak culture does suck tho, if you're basically on the internet all the time there's literally no way you can avoid them :(
I mean, what does people gain from it? All they do is spoil the thrill of the hype. Instead, all it leads to is more disappointment.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah Hayabusa would be pretty cool still. I think I'm leaning towards him being based more on his NES counterpart as time goes on. Either way, I can see him getting both Costumes like Bayo and Cloud.

I wonder if the Doppelganger could be implemented without much trouble. But all the other fire Ninpo should be easy enough to implement one way or another.

D

Deleted member

While I would love Hayabusa, dunno why people are still so sure about him alongside Doomguy. Feels more like selective bias towards parts of the leaks people like. I just hope character 4 is in the same vein as Joker so to see how speculation shifts again.
It's okay, some of us guys care about this too. Since The Hero from Dragon Quest didn't come with any female alts, I'm hoping we get at least one female character either as a complete newcomer (ex. Jill Valentine, Chun-Li, Lara Croft) or as a newcomer with female alts like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, etc (like a Monster Hunter).

Kazooie only kind of counts as she's inseparably tied to another character who generally gets more credit than her anyway (people generally shorten "Banjo-Kazooie / Banjo & Kazooie" as just "Banjo") so I'm hoping for a "true" female newcomer (not to knock on Kazooie, but you know what I mean).
Its even funnier when you think that Kazooie is pretty much who does all the work in the games.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm not 100% on this leak by any means but I feel like Hayabusa is a logical pick and have said so for a while, so if this comes to pass I don't think it necessarily guarantees Doom.

I agree it would be a bit disappointing if the only female character on the Pass is Kazooie, but it's not like any of us are in a position to do anything about it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Then I'm just not gonna offer Nintendo my money.
Most people here probably already bought the Fighters Pass (myself included), so not much to do about that on our end.

It's a valid criticism, but other than the lack of a primary female fighter I feel like it would be a great Pass. Good variety in character archetypes, history, and genre. While I'd be a bit bummed that Crash or RE miss the cut, I feel like Ninja Gaiden and Doom are definitely worthwhile franchises for Smash.

It's still too early to call either way. Even if fighter 4 is Hayabusa, it doesn't necessarily lock in Doom for the last spot.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Nice to see a rumor that has a little bit of credit behind it for the first time in a while, especially if they're more out in public space as compared to forums like this. Always take with a grain of salt and keep expectations realistic.

Irregardless of whether or not he makes it in, I'd recommend anyone here to check out the original NES game as it's apart of the NES Online Service. It's a hard game, but it has a particular rhythm & depth to it if you give it some time. The Final Bosses suck, but like the Yellow Devil in MM1, you can cheese them if you have the right sub-weapon. Plus there are Save States if you need the extra help.

The Arcade Beat em' Up is also on the eShop BTW, but it's not particularly great. Though I guess if he does make it in, it'd be the first time the genre will be represented in Smash (assuming I'm not forgetting something obscure).

D

Deleted member

After long thought, and despite my short time here, I'm done with my part of DLC Discussion. As much as I don't want to repeat myself, it seems my claims fell on deaf ears.

We're getting an all-male Fighters Pass, with Haya and Doomguy in it, but I'm not gonna care anymore. My hopes for DLC characters were crushed, and I believe any female character I want in Smash won't be because Nintendo did not consider adding any. I believe ever since the Bayonetta situation, they no longer want any female to break the game , so they're not going for it. As a feminist, that just...breaks my heart.

You guys can party along when your characters, I'll just sulk at myself. I'll remember this brief time I made myself look like an idiot in front of the Smash community.

I'm sorry, but I won't be participating in this anymore. It just didn't fit my beliefs.

GrieverSSBU

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1500 9618 1710
I want Layton in but if it's Ryu Hayabusa I'll be extremely HYPED
That's something I wouldn't have said months ago lmao
Ryu Hayabusa FTW. I hope he has a weapon wheel like Shulks Monado. If he does I will main him using the Vigoorian Flair all day long.

StormC

Smash Hero
After long thought, and despite my short time here, I'm done with my part of DLC Discussion. As much as I don't want to repeat myself, it seems my claims fell on deaf ears.

We're getting an all-male Fighters Pass, with Haya and Doomguy in it, but I'm not gonna care anymore. My hopes for DLC characters were crushed, and I believe any female character I want in Smash won't be because Nintendo did not consider adding any. I believe ever since the Bayonetta situation, they no longer want any female to break the game , so they're not going for it. As a feminist, that just...breaks my heart.

You guys can party along when your characters, I'll just sulk at myself. I'll remember this brief time I made myself look like an idiot in front of the Smash community.

I'm sorry, but I won't be participating in this anymore. It just didn't fit my beliefs.
What do you expect people to do, though? Riot and demand female characters? They already bought the DLC.

I don't think anyone here would tell you that you can't be disappointed by this outcome, and if they do, they're jerks. But you can't expect everyone to share your frustration or not enjoy the characters. People can criticize a product and still enjoy it.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I mean, what does people gain from it? All they do is spoil the thrill of the hype. Instead, all it leads to is more disappointment.
As someone who has been waiting for Geno since God knows how long, part of me just is fed up with waiting and hoping. I just want either a hard core deconfirmation or just tell me he is in. Imaging having all these teases and 'maybes' coming in only to have any hopes of your dreams coming true completely dashed.
At this point, I'm sick of surprises. To me, surprises and dancing around the Square character talks lead to this.... :ultpiranha:

The sick part is, even if an extremely credible person told me that Geno was coming, I wouldn't believe them. I honestly am just so exhausted from waiting and hoping that I am willing to just know everything at this point. This is at least why I am involved with speculation. After a while, the novelty of the reveal just wears down. I haven't sat thru a Nintendo Direct and enjoyed it since at least E3 2013 where my second most wanted of all time got in. :ultmegaman:

My advice if you are looking to avoid any leaks is to just distance yourself from Social Media or anyone who spreads the information. Whether that means leaving groups or blocking users who have connections.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Hayabusa would be quite exciting for me. If he does get in then that would make him the second character in the pass that I would enjoy very much. I really hope the Izuna Drop is part of his moveset.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

In all fairness, Bayonetta never really broke the game, let alone because of her gender.

Anyway as someone who spent 4 years wasting their time online discussing what could be for the previous game, there is no shame in expressing your own personal wishlist (unless you're a Goku fan). This entire section of the site is literally nothing but educated guesses, odd rumors, baseless assumptions, subjective reasonings, and petty arguments.

Smash means a lot to everyone here, but I would recommend taking a break if "what could be" is causing you anguish. There are way more important things than an optional download.

D

Deleted member

In all fairness, Bayonetta never really broke the game, let alone because of her gender.

Anyway as someone who spent 4 years wasting their time online discussing what could be for the previous game, there is no shame in expressing your own personal wishlist (unless you're a Goku fan). This entire section of the site is literally nothing but educated guesses, odd rumors, baseless assumptions, subjective reasonings, and petty arguments.

Smash means a lot to everyone here, but I would recommend taking a break if "what could be" is causing you anguish. There are way more important things than an optional download.
Th...thank you.

ze9

Smash Ace
I don't really understand the "lack of females" criticism. I mean... Dixie is my most wanted but that's because I like Dixie, not because she fills some quota.
Oh well. Hayabusa does nothing for me on paper, but I fully expect Sakurai to shut me up with the usual crazy moveset, awesome stage, 20000 songs etc. etc.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Isn't judging a character only by their gender kinda the antithesis to feminism?
I still support Dixie and Krystal, but not because I'm looking to fill a quota.
Think of it this way, I'm pansexual, but I would never support a character for Smash merely for their sexuality; that would imply that sexuality is a major character trait, which it really isn't if you come from the assumption of equality.
I'm a gamer, metalhead, math nerd, Nintendork, musician, gun guy, gym dude, etc.
My sexuality defines me no more than the color of my eyes. ❤

Edit: To be fair, Nintendo could have been a bit more generous with female alts. Erdrick has a female counterpart, and Joker probably could have had a female alt too, which was likely planned going by old datamines.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Really, it's just that people want a little more representation for what makes up half the population. I can understand that amongst a batch of five characters, only getting 0.5 female characters being disappointing.

If you disagree, well, then you aren't going to accomplish much by telling people who want said representation that they shouldn't want it.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I guess I was really hoping the next fighter was something different, like in terms of personality and variety. Yeah, Phoenix Wright may be among my most-wanted, but I was really hoping it'd be anyone who wasn't really among the leaks and rumors overall. Him, Layton, etc.

I'm also with others in wanting a female character because hey, representation is important and there are SO many iconic female characters I'd love to see in Smash. I'm not saying that Hayabusa being in is stopping that, just that I personally really was hoping for variety's sake, and if Hayabusa is next there's a strong possibility that the Google leak was real (which is still completely bizarre to me) and as interesting as Doomguy would be it's just a strange duo. StormC nicely summed up my thoughts.

It's weird because I love the original Ninja Gaiden NES games, I wanted Hayabusa in Smash 4 and used to joke that the only reason Greninja exists was because they couldn't get the rights to him in time, and I know he'd come with great music and is a legacy character. Hell, Ninja Gaiden Sigma was the first M-rated game I ever officially owned. It's not like I don't have a personal connection to the character. It's just. Not that exciting. It makes sense, but that's about it.

Though I'm sure when the trailer hits and shows him running along the ground in that classic Ninja Gaiden style I'll be hooting and hollering like anyone else.

I shouldn't be jealous because I got my pipe dream most-wanted first and I have no doubt he'll be fun but man. I was hoping for something a little less underwhelming and way more unusual next.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Really, it's just that people want a little more representation for what makes up half the population. I can understand that amongst a batch of five characters, only getting 0.5 female characters being disappointing.

If you disagree, well, then you aren't going to accomplish much by telling people who want said representation that they shouldn't want it.
I understand the issue of representation, but as I said, we should judge characters by individual merits, not by filling quotas. It's more politically sensitive, but it is ultimately the same as the "anime swordfighter" argument.
But part of the problem with a lack of female representation in Smash Bros. is due to US culture in the 80s.
History time!
Back in the 80s, video games weren't mainstream like they are today. They were marketed as toys. In 80s America, toy isles were separated into boy's and girl's sections. Because of this, Nintendo had to pick one arbitrarily when marketing the NES, so they picked boys. This led to a cultural image of video games being associated with boys despite being a 50/50 market with boys and girls, but culture is hard to break. So most video game characters were male purely for marketing. Though this has largely changed today, most gaming icons have been around for a long time, so by sheer numbers, most video game all stars are male.
If Doomabusa is true, that means that 4/5 characters in the Fighter's Pass were from the 80s and 90s, before gender equality in gaming was really addressed.
So Nintendo wasn't trying to be sexist, but rather they chose characters with history to them. And with age comes cultures that we now regret.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Threefold post:

1) Calling it now, European Starling = Ryu Hayabusa. Starlings are the natural prey of Peregrine Falcons, so that was a step removed. This always felt the sketchiest of my guesses at the time, but unless there's a whole new game announced, this makes the most sense.

2) I actually don't hate leak culture. Same with movies, I don't mind some spoilers. If something doesn't work for me because I know details then it's failed on it's own. Obviously some people here are disappointed in the pass, which is completely fair enough, and maybe if the last two characters ended up being Reimu and Goku I would be upset. But I still loved the Hero trailer, despite everyone talking about Erdrick for literal months. Banjo was a different case, it was never 100% he'd be in, but the leaks leading up to the direct made it feel more likely, so it was more relief than surprise when the trailer happened. Anyway, excited if it is Ryu Hayabusa, although I'm not going to full commit to Doom Slayer until much later.

3. On female characters. Smash should absolutely have more female characters. People keep saying "there aren't enough female characters who are worthy" when we have characters like Hero where they've gone out of their way to not include their female alts. The issue with the industry is they so often default to male. So the lack of "viable" female characters comes from an inherent sexism within the video games industry. Obviously we have some fantastic exceptions, with Samus, Lara Croft and Jill Valentine. But if you look at a list of the best games of all time, or the best selling there are so few playable female characters, precisely because the industry is making less of them. So it takes is a game like Smash going out of it's way to include someone like Bayonetta to put them on the same level as some of the other third party choices. People might quibble but Jill, Tracer, Lara, Chun-Li, Chell or Terra are all characters from fantastic games that would be more than worthy of being in Smash.

So many people recoil when they here stuff like "we should put more women in the game" and spout "we should only be looking at the best characters". But when there are fundamentally less chances for female characters to be playable, it just exacerbates the problem. Talking about quotas is a fundamental misunderstanding of what the problem is. The problem is that we don't have enough chances for female characters to reach the level of prominence as their male counterparts, and at some point Smash can be a huge change in the perception of characters, and putting Bayonetta in Smash 4 is one of my favourite things about that game. And it is very saddening that this pass will most likely be 100% male.

Honestly I'm very happy with this community constantly going to bat for characters like Dixie, Midna, Pyra/Mythra and Elma, because they all deserve to be in Smash. But the fact that haven't been put in yet, probably again speaks to the fundamental gender imbalance when it comes to games.

(I probably won't respond to people disagreeing here, just because it would v. off topic, also I wrote this all quite quickly so I'm sure it'll be easy for people to pick holes in).

ze9

Smash Ace

Just can't get into that mindset. This is just a game, variety is more important than "representation", and there's already plenty of female characters in the base game. It's not that I'm against them (gimme Dixie, Gruntilda, Chun Li or Jill), it's just... is it that hard to judge characters by their own merits?

If you disagree well, then you arent' going to accomplish much by telling people who don't care about "representation" that they should care for it.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
To be fair, who's to say that Piranha Plant isn't a girl?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sometimes part of a character's merit is related to gender and appeal within various demographics. That isn't a bad thing.

Those who don't see the merit in representation have never had to worry about being represented.

Anyway, if it really does have to be Hayabusa next I just hope that his reveal trailer is a remake of https://youtu.be/_rkaiKYEkDQ and we get a shot with him and Zero Suit Samus playing beach volleyball together.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Im of the belief that gender shouldnt be a major factor when deciding a character, but there are plenty of good female choices that should be included someday. Some that Id like are
-Jill
-Tron
-Hat Kid
-2B
-Dixie
-Tifa
-The Boss (mgs3)
-Lara Croft
-Midna
-Chun Li
-Joanna Dark
-Cooking Mama (moreso for the humor of it, never actually played one of her games)
Just to name a few.

Also, I find the claims that characters like Doomguy and Hayubusa only being wanted because of rumors to be silly. Sure, you get a few people who jump on the bandwagon (this happens to every character, Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo, Geno, Isaac etc), but 99% of Doomguy/Ryu fans actually play and enjoy the games they came from. Ive been wanting Doomguy since Doom 2016 came out, but I didnt wait for a port to say "wow i now magically want this character". I will say that i never played a Ninja Gaiden game until after Google theory, but I gave Giaden 1 a playthrough on NES online and while he isnt in my top 10 I can see why people want Ryu.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The total cost of all Smash 4 DLC was $101.23 for everything and $56.38 for just characters and stages (both prices are for both platforms).

This is the same company that charged $60 for 1-2 Switch (and routinely charges that amount for ports) and $80 for Joy Cons.

That being said, I agree that if there is character DLC beyond the pass they'll probably bring in more 1st Parties. Maybe characters from 3rd Party series already in the game as well.
I was talking more about characters only. But I see your point. Especially on the ports thing.

Wow, I only have the 3DS version, so I had no idea the cost was this high for having content on both.

That said... this thread moved fast, didn't it? To sum up some of my thoughts...

I only played the original Ninja Gaiden, so I can't say I have a deep connection to the character. But with this, I feel like the NES-era lineup is pretty much complete, if true. Or, well, as complete as it could be in Ultimate. I know some of you will come at me with Contra, GnG and Battletoads, but really, the odds for these are really small.

Frankly, I don't mind the spoils. I can see the developer side in that image/video leaks can compromise their work, but the devil's advocate in me thinks that leak culture wouldn't exist if companies communicated better with the consumers. In fact, leaks can sometime generate hype and discussion about a product, which can be good in the long run.

I echo the sentiment of a few others when it comes to Banjo and Kazooie - after basically 12 years of waiting for them, I just wanted the bandaid to be ripped off. I didn't care about being spoiled, I just wanted to know, were they in or were they not?

I think this is less of something that "Nintendo isn't pushing enough" and more of a consequence of how 80s/90s videogames were made. I think Ben Holt Ben Holt summed it up nicely.

I don't know much about DQ (XI S is looking to be my first one), but Eleven and Eight don't have female alts, apparently. So it would be a bit weird in my eyes for only 2 of the 4 Heroes to have female versions (which also means less nods to other DQ games). Plus that's two more models with full voice acting, more work time and possibly, more money to Square.

People really underestimate the amount of time and effort these things could take - having 4 alts at all was already a huge feat for me. I mean, I wanted a Ms. Pac-Man alt as much as the next guy, but if Sakurai chose to focus on other references and aspects for other characters... so be it.

Also, here's food for thought... let's compare the two biggest Capcom names in speculation now: Jill Valentine and Phoenix Wright.

The first is obviously female, but her series has a bigger male demographic (around 77%, though the only clue I could find had a broken link, so take it with a grain of salt). Meanwhile, the other is a male character, but his series is known for having a high female player ratio (though I couldn't find any definitive sales data from Capcom).

So hypothetically, which is the "right" choice? The female character? Or the character that could potentially attract a larger female base? Personally, I don't think there is a right answer. I think the most important point here is that new characters bring new things - and new people - to Smash - the how may or may not be a factor.

Really, this feels like a storm in a teacup to me. Hayabusa being potentially confirmed sounds more like a coincidence at this point.

I mean, the character, series and company all have their own merits in this case, so I don't think we should treat Doom Slayer as a lock unless someone with credibility says so.

That said, if it does end up being true... I don't have any particular want for either, but I'll still be satisfied with the Pass. My most wanted, a nice surprise character and three ones that I have no personal attachment to, but respect as far as the industry goes.

Plus I get to add Slayer to my thumbnail with "Too violent" as a caption, so I'm good, really.

EDIT: Sorry for the wall of text, but I felt like weighing in on all of this discussion. Thankfully, everything is in spoiler tags for your convenience.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's just the same ol' song and dance. Games get ported to Switch, suddenly it's Smash. Joker's in Smash, but P5 didn't get a legitimate port (other than that kinda cool-looking Phantoim Strikers game which I'll plan to buy to complement my Hyrule Warriors and FE Warriors).

I've mentioned this before in a reddit post, but I'll say this generalization:

"The Smash community. Full of hype beasts and speculators whose thirst for information is so grave that they're willing to kill for the sake of speculation"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'm so with you. I hate how the internet made it impossible to remain unspoiled about anything, and the fact that everyone's dying to get their five minutes of fame means there's no 'story' they won't 'break' even if that's leaks or spoilers.

To be fair, Nintendo did play a big part in spoiling DLC, with Jack and Brave being datamined long before their announcements. Really, it's due to the grace of dataminers more than anything that Joker wasn't spoiled too.

If it means anything, I think Nintendo must have considered some female characters.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmmm Ryu would me a likely option from a nintendo history point of view. I would not be against him, as long as he is different enough from the other 2 ninjas we got.

As for leak culture, this is not just for video games. Everything in our lives can get leaked due to the internet culture we have. Movies, politics, toys, and video games. This is nothing new at all. I dont think there is anything one can do to stop leaks, all we can do is choose to look for leaks or not. For me, fighting game characters is something i domt mind looking up, because i want to know who is going to be in before i buy. Getting leaked months in advanced sucks, but shortly before a reveal is not as bad. I get companies dont like the hype being ruined, but i think people are still pretty hyped when they actually see the character in motion(like people with spawn and terminator on mk11).

Besides, some things wont get leaked. I tjink the TMNT in injustice 2 werent leaked, or not widely leaked. Same with Parahna plant, only very lightly leaked and no on believed it.

My thoughts on female characters missing in this game though, i think that is a legit complaint. I dont think a character should be added because they are female, that is sexist in its own way too. But there are a lot of viable female characters that could be in the game. For hero, the DQ4 character should have been the female version, as that is the more popular one and could have easily been fit in. Other female characters are just as big as ryu or others. Jill, shantae, lara, dixie, medusa, Reimu, and many others. Frmale characters can be easily placed in smash for their popularity and significance in the gaming scene.

Honestly, i think more people like female characters now more then in the past, and more and more games have female leads as well.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see a new female character because Lucina is the only one in the game I actually like and I'm either indifferent or dislike the others :( On the other hand, there are very few I'd love to see (Dixie, Celica, Sakura, Tifa, Female Erdrick) and only a couple I'd be interested in giving a chance (Lyn, Edelgard, Krystal, Jill, Fiora). But most of the names speculated here falls into the "indifferent" and "dislike" list. It's kinda awkward.

Also, I'm 100% behind Hayabusa but I don't get this panic around the Doom guy as it confirms him too. Is it because of the one theory they happen to part of? No offense but, honestly, it's kind of dumb to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd like to see a new female character because Lucina is the only one in the game I actually like and I'm either indifferent or dislike the others :( On the other hand, there are very few I'd love to see (Dixie, Celica, Sakura, Tifa, Female Erdrick) and only a couple I'd be interested in giving a chance (Lyn, Edelgard, Krystal, Jill, Fiora). But most of the names speculated here falls into the "indifferent" and "dislike" list. It's kinda
Literally a lot of my used characters are female (Rosalina is the only female I don't use), and I think a new female character is a good thing.

Damn, the entire "female character" discussion can all be traced back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom