• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So apparently Emily Rogers is saying a Direct is happening next week.

So, more on Banjo maybe? Or Fighter #4?
I hope we get Banjo info, at least a release date.

I expect another shadowdrop later in the month, though...

I'm not surprised it's the first week, if what she says is true; they were gonna do it in the first week last year before...y'know.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So apparently Emily Rogers is saying a Direct is happening next week.

So, more on Banjo maybe? Or Fighter #4?
I think Banjo is going to have a separate video closer to his release date, so we might not get anything more specific on him.

For Fighter #4, on the other hand, they rarely have general Directs on two consecutive months, so if there is a Direct in September, it's either a reveal there or aaall the way into November. I'm not expecting a Smash Direct except for closing out the Pass, nor do I expect anything at TGS, so I'd say a new reveal is pretty likely.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This is DLC. Not base roster.
I remember during Sm4sh's DLC speculation period, post Cloud. There were two characters left, and the popular consensus was "one will be Wolf, one will be the overall ballot winner"

Instead we got Corrin and Bayo. No one would consider either of them popular here but everyone ruled them out for one reason or another.

In Corrin's case, we just got two new Fire Emblem characters plus the return of Roy. It was inconcievable that we'd get yet another Fire Emblem character, especially since Wolf hadn't returned yet. But Corrin happened.

For Bayonetta, she had some fanfare here but I wouldn't even suggest she was a top 30 choice. I hear she was more popular on Reddit but more people were banking on K. Rool./Geno/Sora/Shantae/Shovel Knight/Banjo. She was met with confusion at being named the overall ballot winner over K. Rool, Geno, Sora, Shantae and Shovel Knight and the overall DLC split the fans. Lots were happy with the returning veterans and Ryu and Cloud were considered good choices, but the last two really caught Smashboards off guard.

I just can't buy that we're going to get this "All Killer, No Filler" roster some people are hyping up with every other time be it base or DLC ending with picks fans considered disappointing, but I guess we haven't got long to see if it's a case of me just being skeptical or not.

YezenIRl

Smash Apprentice
I just can't buy that we're going to get this "All Killer, No Filler" roster some people are hyping up with every other time be it base or DLC ending with picks fans considered disappointing, but I guess we haven't got long to see if it's a case of me just being skeptical or not.
I think using Sm4sh's DLC as a reference point is inaccurate. There was no season pass. The thing about DLC passes is that companies try to be pretty clear about what you're getting. They don't give out the characters, but they tell you how many, and generally what comes with them.

In this case Reggie's comments are pretty unambiguous. Joker was specifically said to be a flavor for what the DLC is supposed to be like. Each DLC character is specifically coming with music, a stage, and a spirit board. Thus far, that has given us three third party characters. Though there is always the chance that something totally unexpected could happen, I think people that are leaving open the possibility that the last two will be like... Edelgard and Sylux, or Dixie Kong and Chibi Robo, are doing so out of hopefullness more than anything.

It's like, you wouldn't expect fighter 4 to be an echo would you?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I remember during Sm4sh's DLC speculation period, post Cloud. There were two characters left, and the popular consensus was "one will be Wolf, one will be the overall ballot winner"

Instead we got Corrin and Bayo. No one would consider either of them popular here but everyone ruled them out for one reason or another.

In Corrin's case, we just got two new Fire Emblem characters plus the return of Roy. It was inconcievable that we'd get yet another Fire Emblem character, especially since Wolf hadn't returned yet. But Corrin happened.

For Bayonetta, she had some fanfare here but I wouldn't even suggest she was a top 30 choice. I hear she was more popular on Reddit but more people were banking on K. Rool./Geno/Sora/Shantae/Shovel Knight/Banjo. She was met with confusion at being named the overall ballot winner over K. Rool, Geno, Sora, Shantae and Shovel Knight and the overall DLC split the fans. Lots were happy with the returning veterans and Ryu and Cloud were considered good choices, but the last two really caught Smashboards off guard.

From what I remember King K. Rool was considered to be the most likely ballot winner during that period, and people though Bayonetta extremely unlikely because of her mature content.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Assuming Emily Rogers his right about the direct next week, I feel like it's very soon to announced fighter 4. On the other hand, having a Nintendo direct without a Smash announcement would also be weird, so I don't really know what to think.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Assuming Emily Rogers his right about the direct next week, I feel like it's very soon to announced fighter 4. On the other hand, having a Nintendo direct without a Smash announcement would also be weird, so I don't really know what to think.
I don't know if we can really say it's "too soon". The last newcomer reveal was almost 3 months ago.

In regards to Banjo and Kazooie "needing" to be released first, well... PP and Joker were announced before the game came out, Joker was announced before PP launched and BK were announced before Hero's release. So I don't really think that's a problem.

There is a chance we won't get anything, yes, but if that's the case, I think the cause would be DLC #4 not being good enough for them to show yet, rather than Nintendo choosing to wait it out because it's too soon.

ze9

Smash Ace
Banjo's release date + Doomguy's announcement.
You heard it here first.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Banjo's release date + Dragonborn's announcement.
You heard it here first.
Fixed it! xP

But yeah, my silliness aside, it's more than likely that we'll get Banjo Release + DLC 4 next week, I don't know why they'd do an entire Smash direct later on just to announce one character.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I don't know if we can really say it's "too soon". The last newcomer reveal was almost 3 months ago.

In regards to Banjo and Kazooie "needing" to be released first, well... PP and Joker were announced before the game came out, Joker was announced before PP launched and BK were announced before Hero's release. So I don't really think that's a problem.

There is a chance we won't get anything, yes, but if that's the case, I think the cause would be DLC #4 not being good enough for them to show yet, rather than Nintendo choosing to wait it out because it's too soon.
Exactly this. If there is a September Direct, then there almost definitely won't be one in October and a November announcement would mean 3 months to announce and launch two characters. An announcement this week basically guarantees that we stay 2 characters ahead for the rest of the pass which is probably the best way to do it.

Obviously there could be some curve balls like launching two characters at the same time, but I'll be shocked if we don't get an announcement next week if there is a Direct. I also doubt that we'll get any dedicated Smash directs before the end of the pass.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Fixed it! xP

But yeah, my silliness aside, it's more than likely that we'll get Banjo Release + DLC 4 next week, I don't know why they'd do an entire Smash direct later on just to announce one character.
Thinking back, it feels kinda soon for character #4 maybe? There would be only one announcement between september and february. If the last character gets announced in the january Direct, that's a pretty long time. That would be 4-5 months without an announcement. Though, considering the fifth is the last, it could work maybe. Dunno.

ze9

Smash Ace
To be honest I don't think the last character will meet the February 2020 deadline. It'll probably release in late March or early to mid April.
Why? If Banjo releases in lalte september/early october, they'll be pretty much on par with the schedule.
It's feeling slow because Joker and Hero both took ages to come out, but I'm pretty sure the pace will increase from Banjo onwards.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Why? If Banjo releases in lalte september/early october, they'll be pretty much on par with the schedule.
It's feeling slow because Joker and Hero both took ages to come out, but I'm pretty sure the pace will increase from Banjo onwards.
I think it will stay consistent. Banjo & Kazooie drop in late October, #4 releases in late January or early February, and #5 in late March or early April.

EDIT: I just haven't seen any evidence that the DLC characters will release with any sort of expediency.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it will stay consistent. Banjo & Kazooie drop in late October, #4 releases in late January or early February, and #5 in late March or early April.

EDIT: I just haven't seen any evidence that the DLC characters will release with any sort of expediency.
So you're telling me that the February 2020 deadline for DLC is probably for the reveals and not the actual DLC itself? Strange.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think we’re getting Fighter 4’s announcement this month, and the remainder of the DLC will go something like this; Banjo will release early October, Fighter 5 announced in November, Fighter 4 released in December, Fighter 5 released in February.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

o ye of little faith

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You know how some people believe the pass will be all third party, and then believe that we're getting a Nintendo pass if we were to get a second?

What if this pass is an all-male (primary) pass, and this next pass was all females (again, primary)? (First or third party, doesn't matter)

Let's say the last two characters are Crash Bandicoot/Lloyd Irving/Heihachi and Leon S. Kennedy/Doom Slayer/Ryu Hayabusa/(Frisk would probably go here cause it has to happen at some point, but let it not be a definitive gender statement for them as much as, a place for them), or for the "pls first party" crowd, Porky and Sylux (with Spirit's one'd be Bandana Dee). The next pass could have Dixie Kong, Edelgard or Byleth defaulting to female (with a male alt), Arle Nadja, Lara Croft and Amaterasu or Reimu. Arle and Lara are the Hero and Banjo of the pass, being the E3 reveals. If we allow Spirits, one of the third parties could be Shantae. Thoughts?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You know how some people believe the pass will be all third party, and then believe that we're getting a Nintendo pass if we were to get a second?

What if this pass is an all-male (primary) pass, and this next pass was all females (again, primary)? (First or third party, doesn't matter)

Let's say the last two characters are Crash Bandicoot/Lloyd Irving/Heihachi and Leon S. Kennedy/Doom Slayer/Ryu Hayabusa/(Frisk would probably go here cause it has to happen at some point, but let it not be a definitive gender statement for them as much as, a place for them), or for the "pls first party" crowd, Porky and Sylux (with Spirit's one'd be Bandana Dee). The next pass could have Dixie Kong, Edelgard or Byleth defaulting to female (with a male alt), Arle Nadja, Lara Croft and Amaterasu or Reimu. Arle and Lara are the Hero and Banjo of the pass, being the E3 reveals. If we allow Spirits, one of the third parties could be Shantae. Thoughts?
I'm a bit skeptic about the second fighters pass thing, but I'm all ears as long as female characters are coming as DLC.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm a bit skeptic about the second fighters pass thing, but I'm all ears as long as female characters are coming as DLC.
I'm not sure where I got it, but I was always under the impression we were getting a second fighter pass. I guess that doesn't make much sense with the 2020 deadline fast apporaching.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Something I've been thinking the past few days is that if we do get more content post-Pass, I don't know if we'd get all third parties like (presumably) the Pass will be. Neither would the characters necessarily come with Spirits and a stage.

If that happened, I think the cost of Ultimate's DLC would come close to the full base game... that's not something I envision Nintendo doing.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's already happened.

Well, they talked about Smash but basically said nothing. People seem to forget how everyone assumed we'd see Joker in action in that Direct. But we didn't. We got a tease.

I'm just saying don't set your expectations too high.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Something I've been thinking the past few days is that if we do get more content post-Pass, I don't know if we'd get all third parties like (presumably) the Pass will be. Neither would the characters necessarily come with Spirits and a stage.

If that happened, I think the cost of Ultimate's DLC would come close to the full base game... that's not something I envision Nintendo doing.
Considering unused content, I only think that we will get as much as 10 fighters released post Fighter Pass, if there will even be characters released post Fighter Pass.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The total cost of all Smash 4 DLC was $101.23 for everything and $56.38 for just characters and stages (both prices are for both platforms).

This is the same company that charged $60 for 1-2 Switch (and routinely charges that amount for ports) and $80 for Joy Cons.

That being said, I agree that if there is character DLC beyond the pass they'll probably bring in more 1st Parties. Maybe characters from 3rd Party series already in the game as well.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprise so many people are confident about Doom Slayer. Sure the boi would be epic as hell (hey hey) but you forgot one thing: ID software is an american studio.

We know that Sakurai doesn't like to work with non japanese developers because of different langages. Sure Banjo is in, but he was requested character for more than a decade. I can't imagine Sakurai be like "Ok I never worked with any non-japanese developers but I will put two fighters originated from Occident instead of making a test with only one".

The inclusion of Banjo is amazing. It will probably lead the way to more non-japanese characters...in futur fighter pass or next Super Smash Bros game.

For now I would not consider Doom Slayer as a solid contender for the fighter pass.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprise so many people are confident about Doom Slayer. Sure the boi would be epic as hell (hey hey) but you forgot one thing: ID software is an american studio.

We know that Sakurai doesn't like to work with non japanese developers because of different langages. Sure Banjo is in, but he was requested character for more than a decade. I can't imagine Sakurai be like "Ok I never worked with any non-japanese developers but I will put two fighters originated from Occident instead of making a test with only one".

The inclusion of Banjo is amazing. It will probably lead the way to more non-japanese characters...in futur fighter pass or next Super Smash Bros game.

For now I would not consider Doom Slayer as a solid contender for the fighter pass.
I'd whole-heartedly agree. Banjo's inclusion is basically testing ground for Western IP's and their impact. Going for another one immediately is probably gonna garner mixed results.

They're just testing the waters before they can proceed. I think they'll check how big Banjo will sell before hitting the drawing board for Doomguy.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't see why we HAVE to have a female character in the fighter pass. I really don't care what sex the character is as long as the character is a great add. However, I don't see a lot of great options for "female" characters out there except maybe Jill Valentine or Dixie Kong :).

It is like politics, people want to elect women or minorities. I am fine with that but elect a good leader, not someone just because they are a woman.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I am doubtful of a female pass inclusion- in part because, above all else, variety would help both passes sell more.
Regardless, the thought is interesting.
Lara Croft is a legend, and needed if the theme is 'female.' (Tomb Raider, SQUARE-ENIX)
Jill Valentine would be shortly up on my list. (Resident Evil, CAPCOM)
Tracer. I do think she would be a good fit. Popular game. LGBTQ! (Overwatch, BLIZZARD)
Cooking Mama is one I used to want (Cooking Mama, TAITO)

Shantae? I guess... I dont see an indie party getting in. I do enjoy her.
Chun Li? NO. Three cannot be.

If I went first party, I'd have many more, surprisingly- I just dont think that is what would happen.
-Dixie (but I dont think it would be first party, still)
-Impa. (though, fairly, she should be an echo)
-Octoling (third echo potential in a row)
-Twintelle and Minmin (the breakout stars of their game)
-Elma? I could see it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Chun Li? NO. Three cannot be.
Why not? TBH Chun-Li is typically the 2nd Rep for Street Fighter in most crossovers and Smash is literally the only one to include Ryu but not her, let alone Ken. We already got the "rules" broken by having Richter and Ken in this game, Chun-Li should have been there before Ken and would have if not for the echo thing, with Ken being an echo its more like two and a half anyway.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I'd whole-heartedly agree. Banjo's inclusion is basically testing ground for Western IP's and their impact. Going for another one immediately is probably gonna garner mixed results.

They're just testing the waters before they can proceed. I think they'll check how big Banjo will sell before hitting the drawing board for Doomguy.
I wouldn't even say it's testing the waters. I straight up think Banjo is an exception to Sakurai's usual process because of what Banjo historically is.

I don't see why we HAVE to have a female character in the fighter pass. I really don't care what sex the character is as long as the character is a great add. However, I don't see a lot of great options for "female" characters out there except maybe Jill Valentine or Dixie Kong :).

It is like politics, people want to elect women or minorities. I am fine with that but elect a good leader, not someone just because they are a woman.
I think it's gonna happen because there aren't a lot of "great" options out there. That is what makes it surprising to begin with. This isn't so much as picking something to fulfill a quota or anything stupid. Sakurai can make a great character out of pretty much anything with the charm to make non-fans enjoy their inclusion.

Untouch

Smash Master
Person who leaked Marx and Piranha Plant is saying the next character is Ryu.
He has a solid track record so its worth keeping an eye on.
Ryu would be awesome honestly, one of my most wanteds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm taking this with a grain of salt.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Gonna need proof on him saying Marx and Plant. I can understand Missing a Reddit and 4chan post, but ever since Plant was revealed nobody has brought this guy up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom