• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Why not? TBH Chun-Li is typically the 2nd Rep for Street Fighter in most crossovers and Smash is literally the only one to include Ryu but not her, let alone Ken. We already got the "rules" broken by having Richter and Ken in this game, Chun-Li should have been there before Ken and would have if not for the echo thing, with Ken being an echo its more like two and a half anyway.
Yeah, if we get a third-party character from an existing third-party series in Smash that isn't a semi-clone or Echo Fighter, Chun-Li is one of the most obvious choices for that. She's a legendary character, almost as well known as Ryu and Ken.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I don't see why we HAVE to have a female character in the fighter pass. I really don't care what sex the character is as long as the character is a great add. However, I don't see a lot of great options for "female" characters out there except maybe Jill Valentine or Dixie Kong :).

It is like politics, people want to elect women or minorities. I am fine with that but elect a good leader, not someone just because they are a woman.
People better enjoy or find games more immersive when there's the option to play as the gender the player relates to. It also adds variety in personality of the fighters and the opportunity of a more feminine fighter.

And to respond to the politics thing, women and minorities are more likely to elect female and minority leaders due to them being more relatable and more likely to understand the intricacies of potential discrimination they might go through. But like, this is just a game, most of you lot wanted Banjo cause he was the star of a game you played when you were kids, so the criteria for wanting characters isn't much more than "I like them"

D

Deleted member

People better enjoy or find games more immersive when there's the option to play as the gender the player relates to. It also adds variety in personality of the fighters and the opportunity of a more feminine fighter.

And to respond to the politics thing, women and minorities are more likely to elect female and minority leaders due to them being more relatable and more likely to understand the intricacies of potential discrimination they might go through. But like, this is just a game, most of you lot wanted Banjo cause he was the star of a game you played when you were kids, so the criteria for wanting characters isn't much more than "I like them"
I don't know if I started the trend of wanting a female rep, but doesn't it feel disappointing for having no female reps in this DLC fighters pass? I mean, at the very least we got Bayo in Smash 4, but isn't an all-male DLC going to like, irk you or something?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
There is no such thing as a fourth party character. Mickey Mouse would be a third-party character.
It's just a shorthand.

https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...-rules-and-guidelines-read-this-first.446330/

Regarding Character Support threads:
1. Character threads must be for characters who originated from a video game.

• 3rd parties can have franchise threads, but it's still recommended to have a focus or examples of who you think would be interesting.
  • Nintendo-owned characters don't necessarily have to originate in a video game, but must still have a video game appearance.
  • All character threads are subject to staff approval
  • 3rd party characters must also be from a game franchise first

Take a look at this quote from the first interview you linked:

Well pack it up boys, Joker can't happen because Sakurai said knives are too realistic to be included in Smash.
Oh wait.

There he is, wielding not only a knife but a realistic gun as well. A realistic looking gun that sounds and functions like one too - for all intents and purposes, especially as far as the ESRB is concerned, it is a real gun, canon be damned. If canon had mattered, Joker wouldn't be wearing his thief attire in the real world anyway.

Remember, Sakurai has said before that characters like Villager and Ridley weren't feasible additions. Things change, and taking 13 year old interviews as fact won't do us any good in this chapter of Smash speculation. Practically every fan rule has been blown away, and characters that were seen as jokes in the past are right here as part of our massive roster.
Rather than trying to keep ancient fan rules alive through ridiculous justifications (the same happened with Bayonetta and her "magical" guns), we need to accept our current reality:
The post-Joker world of almost endless possibilities.
How do you know how the ESRB operates in general or views Joker in particular? You seem to trust them a lot more than I do to use common sense.

Joker's blade is very long to be considered a knife. I don't think it necessarily contradicts Sakurai's statement.

D

Deleted member

Person who leaked Marx and Piranha Plant is saying the next character is Ryu.
He has a solid track record so its worth keeping an eye on.
Ryu would be awesome honestly, one of my most wanteds.
Now we wait til Vergeben confirms this lol

In all seriousness, Koei-Tecmo and Team Ninja have done a great amount of stuff with Nintendo, and for them to not have a character in Smash would be pretty insane since they were trusted with a few of Nintendo's biggest IPs. Plus, Ryu Hayabusa's inclusion could potentially bring a Byleth Mii Costume since KT were involved with Three Houses' development.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Person who leaked Marx and Piranha Plant is saying the next character is Ryu.
He has a solid track record so its worth keeping an eye on.
Ryu would be awesome honestly, one of my most wanteds.
But Ryu's already in Smash!

Jk jk I know what it means and I would love it.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Kaihime from Samurai Warriors would have a whipsword though! Now if they would just change her hair.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You guys beat me to it.
But I'm convinced that Ryu Hayabusa is the next DLC newcomer given this little known leaker's past.
I've always been a vocal believer in Google Theory despite being a clear minority, and if Ryu Hayabusa is next, then I will say that I my faith in Google Theory raises from 90% to 99.999999% (as close to 100% as possible with an infinitesimal hint of doubt)
Doom Slayer even without faith in Google Leak is heavily hinted, so if Hayabusa comes, then consider Doom Slayer imminent.

EDIT: Though the infamous 5chan leak was debunked early on, if Ryu Hayabusa and Doom Slayer truly are the last fighters in the pass, then that old leak would have been eerily close given that the only inconsistencies would be Jack Frost "appearing onscreen with a skill" and getting Steve wrong in favor of another Microsoft character, Banjo.
Should my prediction be true, then the 5chan leak may have been a case similar to the Gematsu leak of Smash 4, where it was outdated information based on plans that partially didn't come through.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why not? TBH Chun-Li is typically the 2nd Rep for Street Fighter in most crossovers and Smash is literally the only one to include Ryu but not her, let alone Ken.
Capcom has so many amazing franchises, I'd rather see a Jill or Morrigan or Amaterasu over another SF rep.

AT Promotion Pass. Midna, Waluigi, Isaac, Krystal, and Ashley. Boom.
Terrible picks.

Alucard, Zero, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Spring Man. Booyah.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Capcom has so many amazing franchises, I'd rather see a Jill or Morrigan or Amaterasu over another SF rep.

Terrible picks.

Alucard, Zero, Bomberman, Shovel Knight, Spring Man. Booyah.
Don't do that. Don't give us hope.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
So basically, looks like the rest of the DLC might not appeal to me at all. Eh, I already got Joker and Banjo so I guess I can't complain, but maaaaaaan the idea of actually ending on Doomabusa just sounds so underwhelming to me. Nothing against anyone who likes them, but I just cannot bring myself to care about these characters, especially after two major rumors putting them in the spotlight

D

Deleted member

So basically, looks like the rest of the DLC might not appeal to me at all. Eh, I already got Joker and Banjo so I guess I can't complain, but maaaaaaan the idea of actually ending on Doomabusa just sounds so underwhelming to me. Nothing against anyone who likes them, but I just cannot bring myself to care about these characters, especially after two major rumors putting them in the spotlight
Thank you for that wondeful contraction. Doomabusa is gonna be freaking hype or salt depending on who you ask.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So basically, looks like the rest of the DLC might not appeal to me at all. Eh, I already got Joker and Banjo so I guess I can't complain, but maaaaaaan the idea of actually ending on Doomabusa just sounds so underwhelming to me.
Not to me! Hayabusa became my new #1 after my previous #1, Simon, was announced.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I really wanted Joker and at the time I thought it was a longshot. Then it happened and I went bananas. I dont know if I could handle both Doom Slayer and Hayabusa

RIP Travis Touchdown though

D

Deleted member

Sigh...to be honest you Doom/Hayabusa supporters showed up after that 4chan leak, which probably got debunked thanks to Banjo. *sighs even more*

I'm getting flak for this but at the very least we should have at least one female. I'm tired of saying this over and over and over.

If the two fighters revealed aren't them then don't come running to me sending hatemail for starting up the feminist discussion.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I feel the same way. If it ends up being true I won't care about 80% of the pass (only one I'm excited about so far is Banjo). Plus hearing about Doomguy constantly and then having him get in would be incredibly boring for someone who doesn't care about Doom. It's better than more anime but either way it would be a very polarizing way to end the pass.

Double hurt points for me since the characters I wanna see in most are very plausible but are never ever talked about aside from Crash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Sigh...to be honest you Doom/Hayabusa supporters showed up after that 4chan leak, which probably got debunked thanks to Banjo. *sighs even more*

I'm getting flak for this but at the very least we should have at least one female. I'm tired of saying this over and over and over.

If the two fighters revealed aren't them then don't come running to me sending hatemail for starting up the feminist discussion.
It's okay, some of us guys care about this too. Since The Hero from Dragon Quest didn't come with any female alts, I'm hoping we get at least one female character either as a complete newcomer (ex. Jill Valentine, Chun-Li, Lara Croft) or as a newcomer with female alts like Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, etc (like a Monster Hunter).

Kazooie only kind of counts as she's inseparably tied to another character who generally gets more credit than her anyway (people generally shorten "Banjo-Kazooie / Banjo & Kazooie" as just "Banjo") so I'm hoping for a "true" female newcomer (not to knock on Kazooie, but you know what I mean).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I feel the same way. If it ends up being true I won't care about 80% of the pass (only one I'm excited about so far is Banjo). Plus hearing about Doomguy constantly and then having him get in would be incredibly boring for someone who doesn't care about Doom. It's better than more anime but either way it would be a very polarizing way to end the pass.

Double hurt points for me since the characters I wanna see in most are very plausible but are never ever talked about aside from Crash.
Same. I'm not even that big into Doom but at this point it's jarring to see the umpteenth Doomguy rumor

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Thank you for that wondeful contraction. Doomabusa is gonna be freaking hype or salt depending on who you ask.
Eh, I really wouldn't be salty over it, just extremely apathetic and disappointed that every DLC fighter besides Joker wasn't a surprise. Like in any other context where literally nobody knew about Hayabusa and Doomguy beforehand, I'd consider them nice surprises even if I'm not all to familiar with them. But since they were all everyone was talking about for quite some time, my hypothetical reaction went from "oh cool, didn't expect that" to "oh god, not these assholes." Also, there's basically no reason to hope for any other character if this ends up being true, so we're going to end up repeating the same conversations about Doomguy over and over again until he eventually rips and tears the last bit of hope of any genuine surprises from this DLC cycle

Sorry if this sounds overly pessimistic, I'm just not having a good day today and this news certainly isn't helping

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah... Hayabusa being revealed would make Google Theorists say they were right all along and believe Doom Slayer's a total lock wouldn't it?

I don't think it'll end up like that because I believe Persona and Ninja Gaiden will be the only M rated series in the Fighter Pass. Whoever's last will still remain a mystery, but I'm hoping it's Nightmare from Soulcalibur because adding the series that had the very first crossover with Nintendo would be a perfect conclusion to the Fighter Pass.

D

Deleted member

Eh, I really wouldn't be salty over it, just extremely apathetic and disappointed that every DLC fighter besides Joker wasn't a surprise. Like in any other context where literally nobody knew about Hayabusa and Doomguy beforehand, I'd consider them nice surprises even if I'm not all to familiar with them. But since they were all everyone was talking about for quite some time, my hypothetical reaction went from "oh cool, didn't expect that" to "oh god, not these ********." Also, there's basically no reason to hope for any other character if this ends up being true, so we're going to end up repeating the same conversations about Doomguy over and over again until he eventually rips and tears the last bit of hope of any genuine surprises from this DLC cycle

Sorry if this sounds overly pessimistic, I'm just not having a good day today and this news certainly isn't helping
This is why I stupidly hate leak culture.

And is this is real...

No wonder Joker was our Last Surprise.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Same. I'm not even that big into Doom but at this point it's jarring to see the umpteenth Doomguy rumor
It's extremely tiring, doubly so as a Dragonborn fan.
Basically it became an exponential popularity/echo chamber for him. He gets rumored about, everyone talks about him, which leads to more fake rumors about him, which leads to people talking about him even more, and so on. Ripples to waves. ><

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I still don't believe we're getting either character to be honest. It'll be good for the speculation scene if/when #4 comes out and it isn't Doom's protagonist or Ryu Hyabusa. Unless it's a double reveal. Then the thread will probably close...

It seems most people here feel this way, or at least a good chunk of them do (or I did that thing where I see one person say something, another person agree, and assume everyone agrees). Personally I don't really care what gender the next two fighters are so long as they're fun. Also, saying you want a female character in the fighters pass isn't exactly a feminist discussion topic. It's just...a want.

D

Deleted member

I was wondering, wss I the first person in this chat to discuss the female character thing?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just realized something. If they did go with Ryu then they'd probably make his reboot design the primary one because his original design is literally just a traditional ninja garb and people who didn't know of the character wouldn't have anything (visually) to draw them in.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I was wondering, wss I the first person in this chat to discuss the female character thing?
Nope.

Well at least I recall it being talked about before I started seeing you around. Though if you used to go by another pfp all bets are off because I'm terrible with names.

I just realized something. If they did go with Ryu then they'd probably make his reboot design the primary one because his original design is literally just a traditional ninja garb and people who didn't know of the character wouldn't have anything (visually) to draw them in.
I think it's pretty much guaranteed that they'd go with the original design. That's how Sakurai operates.

Plus I think blue-ass ninja garb is more eye-catching than the new edgy black gear, at least I feel it stands out more to a modern audience used to grittiness.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Would be fun if that old 4chan leak was 75% legit but Steve was leakbait.
I'm a bit conflicted on that because Doomguy would be really hype to me, but I find Hayabusa to be kinda boring. Tho maybe he'll get a crazy moveset that shuts me up, like what happened with Hero.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm so glad that I like a myriad of characters. Assuming #doomabusa is true, then I'll have only gotten one character in the Fighter's Pass that I adamantly wanted being Banjo.
But after cozying to the idea of Doom Slayer, the hype has made me want him much more. Like from being an ok pick to being in my top 3.
I still didn't get my boy Crash, but I'm satisfied. There's always the chance for a second Fighter's Pass. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think both are good for their respective trilogies, but in my opinion, the jet black sci-fi bodysuit with the silver accents really make him stand out from your every-day ninja.

They're both gonna be alt costumes though, everyone knows Koei loves putting that costume in whenever Ryu is around.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Nintendo published the International version of Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge for Wii U.
So Nintendo is VERY close to Koei-Tecmo and the Ninja Gaiden franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom