• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Agumon did get in Smash, wouldn't he take moves exclusively from the anime though? :240: Not arguing against Agumon, it's a serious question.
I think his only attack in the anime was Pepper Breath so probably not. The Digimon games change super often as well so I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bunch of made up attacks.
Either would be nice in the sense that it would not weigh the pass down so heavily with human/very humanoid characters, since other than Banjo, Crash is the only other plausible exception that comes to mind.
But Banjo, Crash, and Mametchi are all very humanoid characters though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But Banjo, Crash, and Mametchi are all very humanoid characters though.
Compared to like... quadrupeds, yeah. Compared to Joker, Hero, and the other characters normally tossed around (Doom Slayer, Heihachi, Lloyd, Jill/Leon/Chris, Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa, Phoenix Wright, etc.) not really.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Compared to like... quadrupeds, yeah. Compared to Joker, Hero, and the other characters normally tossed around (Doom Slayer, Heihachi, Lloyd, Jill/Leon/Chris, Monster Hunter, Ryu Hayabusa, Phoenix Wright, etc.) not really.
Just out of curiosity I looked up the definition of humanoid and found that there are multiple of them; one that means that they look like a human (which is what I assume you're using, and another (that I hear more often) that just refers to the body type. *shrugs*

Thinking on it it's kinda funny (though not at all surprising) how prevalent humans are in gaming considering how they're regarded as the most boring race in MMOs. lol

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I usually see humanoid used to mean "two arms, two legs, and a head".

Thinking on it it's kinda funny (though not at all surprising) how prevalent humans are in gaming considering how they're regarded as the most boring race in MMOs. lol
Interestingly, despite being the most boring, humans are usually still the most played race in MMOs.

A lot of people just like boring for some reason...

Ornl

Smash Ace
Is there anyone out there that would prefer Tamagotchi getting a rep over Digimon? Especially since Digimon is just the masculine spin-off?

Obviously Digimon got most of its development and expansion from the animes, so it makes more "sense" as a franchise to be in Smash.
Nintendo ?
1565274883086.png

There is already a collaboration with Mario Kart and Pokémon*.
There are 20 Tamagotchi video games on Nintendo support*.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Do you know him at all think Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue would have a change to get into Smash?

I just finished making a moveset in this thread and he would be possible I guess, but I don't really know about his popularity. BlazBlue is known in Japan afaik.
That’s a thought I hadn’t considered. Guilty Gear and BlazeBlue have both had ports on the Switch and are pretty popular within the fighting game scene, even if they aren’t as recognizable outside that sphere. I’m not sure who publishes Guilty Gear now but it was Sega at one point so they may be out. Acksys publishes Blazblue so it may be possible, if still not extremely likely. If Ragna makes it I expect groaning from sword haters.

Edit: autocorrect sniped

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Ragna makes it I expect groaning from sword haters.
Both Sol and Ragna would fall victim to that.

Also, no one owned by Sega currently publishes the games.

Last edited:

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Both Sol and Ragna would fall victim to that.

Also, no one owned by Sega currently publishes the games.
Okay good. Guilty Gear has had some rocky rights issues several years ago, so I couldn’t remember who owned what.

Sol or Ragna would be interesting, though I wonder how Sakurai’s team would interpret them since their art style is such a big part of both games. They certainly would stand out compared to some the other fighting game options.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Okay good. Guilty Gear has had some rocky rights issues several years ago, so I couldn’t remember who owned what.

Sol or Ragna would be interesting, though I wonder how Sakurai’s team would interpret them since their art style is such a big part of both games. They certainly would stand out compared to some the other fighting game options.
Personally, between the two, I'd like Sol better - both because of him as a character and because I feel like Guilty Gear has more interesting "passive mechanics" that could be implemented in Smash. Plus, I'm biased towards GG and its aesthetic, though I like Arcsys games in general.

I'd put Arcsys along with Nippon Ichi and Nihom Falcom in "unlikely, but possibly interesting" picks imo.

ChaosAngelZone

Smash Cadet
I haven't played much Guilty Gear, but a few years back I used to play BlazBlue all the time with some of my friends, so I have a lot of fond memories with that series and I'd love to see Ragna join the Smash roster, however unlikely that is. I'd pretty much love to see an icon from just about any fighting game as part of the Fighters Pass. Terry, Scorpion, Fulgore, Ragna, etc. So many great choices.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Guilty Gear or bust. The original ArcSys fighter, the one that oozes with the most style, my personal favorite fighting game series, and even though my mains are Slayer and Faust I can't lie - Sol would be AMAZING in Smash. Plus that music...

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

I generally trust Sakurai's team in the artistic department. They did an excellent job translating Toriyama's artstyle with the Dragon Quest characters, so I think they could do Sol or Ragna justice. I haven't played much of Guilty Gear or Blazblue, but it'd be interesting to see how an Arksys character would be implemented from a gameplay standpoint

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've never played Guilty Gear but I'd be down for Sol to join the fight. Especially if it meant we'd get to hear the announcer shout "Sol Badguy!". It'd be so funny. I'd also like to see if they'd try to emulate Guilty Gear's current art style. (My guess would be no considering the technical requirements to pull it off.)

There is already a collaboration with Mario Kart and Pokémon*.
I thought this meant there were Pokémon in Mario Kart. Now I'm sad. Mario Kart 8 X Pokémon: Team Turbo would have been one of the greatest crossovers ever.

Interestingly, despite being the most boring, humans are usually still the most played race in MMOs.

A lot of people just like boring for some reason...
Probably due to relateability.

...Wait did I just dis the entire human race?

Last edited:

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Guilty Gear or bust. The original ArcSys fighter, the one that oozes with the most style, my personal favorite fighting game series, and even though my mains are Slayer and Faust I can't lie - Sol would be AMAZING in Smash. Plus that music...
I totally forgot about the music. Yeah Guilty Gear music is awesome! I really want Sol Badguy now.
Blazblue music is good but not great, but it would have GG beat in the stage department.

It would be kinda funny if we don’t get Goku, but get the Hero and an Arch System Works character after the success of Dragonball Fighterz.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Digimon is a video game franchise. Whether it started out as Tamagotchi or not is irrelevant to the fact that Digimon is a video game property. And hell if you MUST go back to Tanagotchi then it is a "handheld digital pet". A video game.
Actually it's very relevant. How a character's series got started is how you define whether or not someone is a video game character. Otherwise you could say Goku is a video game character since Dragonball is also a video game property.

Digimon is described as a multimedia franchise but I would say it's original Tamagotchi devices count as video games. Video games have a broad definition so Tamagatchi's could be included in them.

But yeah. Don't say how something started out is irrelevant otherwise pretty much anyone that has a video games series could be called a video game character.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Freddy Fazbear, Big the Cat, Keanu Reeves, and Clippy from Microsoft Office all have a better chance of getting into Smash than a Digimon.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I have to ask. Do people only want Digimon because they want to see a Pokemon vs Digimon fight? If that's the reason then I can't get behind it. But that's just me.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I've always compared Pokémon to other JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, EarthBound, Undertale, Shin Megami Tensei, etc. I've never been fond of the box people put Pokémon in, where it's grouped in with Digimon, Tamagotchi, Monster Rancher, Neopets, those games just because Pokémon involves pets and collecting. Lots of RPG fans have a weird tendency to look down on Pokémon and consider it an outlier and exception that no one should keep in mind when talking about the JRPG genre so when people group it in with those pet / collecting games it really irks me.

If Digimon fans really really really want to see a Pikachu vs. Agumon matchup, then, fine, but for the reasons I described above, I wouldn't be able to muster up any excitement about it, which I'll readily admit is a very personal view on the matter.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Man, I hate the idea of "company representation". Like why would that even be a thing?

Up to this point, it's been about getting the most iconic, popular, requested, and/or legendary characters/franchises in gaming. Not "oh we have to have three characters for each company because of reasons". That's silly. Characters don't get picked that way.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've always compared Pokémon to other JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, EarthBound, Undertale, Shin Megami Tensei, etc. I've never been fond of the box people put Pokémon in, where it's grouped in with Digimon, Tamagotchi, Monster Rancher, Neopets, those games just because Pokémon involves pets and collecting. Lots of RPG fans have a weird tendency to look down on Pokémon and consider it an outlier and exception that no one should keep in mind when talking about the JRPG genre so when people group it in with those pet / collecting games it really irks me.

If Digimon fans really really really want to see a Pikachu vs. Agumon matchup, then, fine, but for the reasons I described above, I wouldn't be able to muster up any excitement about it, which I'll readily admit is a very personal view on the matter.
To be fair, the mechanics of Pokemon are very, very different from other RPGs where you don't catch your party members. For the record, I'd put Shin Megami Tensei in the same category as Pokemon.

D

Deleted member

Honestly sometimes I just feel that Digimon importance relies on the Pokemon rivalry more than its own.

Anyways, Digimon is one of those franchises that I can't never get into the games. Anime is fine but I find that the games tend to be an absurd combination of grinding due to the amount of parameters required to get the mon you want.

Pokemon has more in common with Dragon Quest Monsters and SMT than Digimon. As the Digimon games tend to be pretty much monster rising sims mixed with RPGs mechanics.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
To be fair, the mechanics of Pokemon are very, very different from other RPGs where you don't catch your party members. For the record, I'd put Shin Megami Tensei in the same category as Pokemon.
Nonetheless, Pokémon games are still JRPGs, while Neopets and Tamagotchi aren't. Some Digimon and Monster Rancher games do have RPG mechanics but they aren't JRPGs first and foremost the way Pokémon games are. Ergo, boxing Pokémon in with those series bothers me, though I hold nothing against any of those other games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nonetheless, Pokémon games are still JRPGs, while Neopets and Tamagotchi aren't. Some Digimon and Monster Rancher games do have RPG mechanics but they aren't JRPGs first and foremost the way Pokémon games are. Ergo, boxing Pokémon in with those series bothers me, though I hold nothing against any of those other games.
I didn't read that part. Do people group Pokemon, Digimon and Monster Rancher with stuff like Tamagotchi? I haven't seen that.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Honestly sometimes I just feel that Digimon importance relies on the Pokemon rivalry more than its own.

Anyways, Digimon is one of those franchises that I can't never get into the games. Anime is fine but I find that the games tend to be an absurd combination of grinding due to the amount of parameters required to get the mon you want.

Pokemon has more in common with Dragon Quest Monsters and SMT than Digimon. As the Digimon games tend to be pretty much monster rising sims mixed with RPGs mechanics.
Tried Digimon Cyber Sleuth?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I didn't read that part. Do people group Pokemon, Digimon and Monster Rancher with stuff like Tamagotchi? I haven't seen that.
Some people do, I've seen it in lots of "RPG fan" circles that leave Pokémon out. I know there are plenty of Pokémon fans here who are like me and compare it to other RPGs, but a lot of my current close internet friends look down on Pokémon and group it in with those other series.

I tell ya, having my bad luck, where seemingly every friend group I've been a part of since high school, where they all coincidentally hate Pokémon but love other RPGs, it's real tiring sometimes because they're otherwise great friends with cool tastes.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I have to ask. Do people only want Digimon because they want to see a Pokemon vs Digimon fight? If that's the reason then I can't get behind it. But that's just me.
I meeeeean that's literally the reason Sonic got in.

D

Deleted member

Tried Digimon Cyber Sleuth?
That still has the same issues I mentioned, grind for evolutions tends to be annoying due to the times required to devolve and evolve again just to upgrade a stat required to evolve further. Plus a few of the cooler evos tend to be story locked. Dropped it halfway since I got bored.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
From a "epic gamic icon" standpoint, Digimon and Tamagotchi definitely fit.

honestly thats kind of it, i dont think many people are crazy diehard for the real life tamagotchi right now instead of the anime or spinoff games

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

honestly thats kind of it, i dont think many people are crazy diehard for the real life tamagotchi right now instead of the anime or spinoff games
Ehhhhhh maybe if this was 1999.

Their legacy didn't really track upwards.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ehhhhhh maybe if this was 1999.

Their legacy didn't really track upwards.
Still made a landmark in history, that's what people argue about in deservedness anyway like it's an actual important trait to have.

StormC

Smash Hero
No point in having a Digimon character unless I can battle to these songs:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Still made a landmark in history, that's what people argue about in deservedness anyway like it's an actual important trait to have.
Tamagotchi maybe. That was a pretty quintessential 90s thing, like beanie babies and furbies. Even though it's not what it used to be, its impact on the culture was a bit more indelible. Digimon was more just a popular property around the turn of the century. There's nothing that remarkable about what it achieved, and its reputation kinda just tapered away. It's not totally gone, but like twenty years post-peak it lacks any edge to set itself apart from a myriad of other candidates.

Ultimately the problem with calling something an "icon" is that the criteria is subjective, but typically the only way faded stars get into Smash is with an abundance of popularity. Though I get you're not saying either will actually happen.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
That's a pretty reductive view of Sonic's huge mark on gaming history.

I don't think Digimon really compares.
Reductive view or not that was LITERALLY why people wanted him in the game. People wanted to be able to fight Sonic with Mario and vice versa BECAUSE of the rivalry.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

Digimon is iconic, Digimon is not iconic in gaming. Every single 3rd party character we've had so far is a critical darling from a series with a long history or an interesting relationship to Nintendo (Banjo and Bayonetta). Digimon doesn't really have that.

Reductive view or not that was LITERALLY why people wanted him in the game. People wanted to be able to fight Sonic with Mario and vice versa BECAUSE of the rivalry.
But the Sonic/Mario rivalry is a hell of a lot of deeper than just those two characters. It was the defining trait of marketing for a console generation. Sega vs Nintendo is the historic console rivalry that has never been replicated, even during the 00s console wars (this makes them seem more epic than they were...)

Digimon and Pokemon had a rivalry that neither IP exploited and felt like it was ultimately defined by the ephemera around them rather than being centred on the games. There was no one trying to argue that Pokemon Red was a worse game than the Digimon games on the Wonderswan. But I also know the Digimon anime was 100x better than Pokemon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom