• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Nope.

Tenworldsguy, insider and genius, knows everything in and out of every game company AND in Sakurai's mind, at your duty.

You. Know. Nothing.
You didn't have to be so mean about this, man. You could have just said, "We don't know what Sakurai would really do."

You're starting to actually get a little mean. Just calm down and lets keep this debate going. Hopefully somewhat peacefully.

I don't think you know what "campy" means.
And yes, he did use campy in the right sense. And if he didn't, you don't need to say it like that.

Ken has a projectile, Ryu has a projectile. What's your point?
Also, this one was just a joke. He wasn't actually making a point about Ken.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If anybody would appeal to the same fans as Banjo enough to be considered "Great Value Banjo", it's Geno, who is also a long-forgotten character massively desired by Smash fans, but a lot of people don't bring that up for some reason. While Banjo and Geno don't have any physical or home game similarites, they were in identical situations.

A bonus character should release after the Pass because it's be kinda... strange to have had this character in the pipeline outside the pass for a while. It'd be nice to get a discount but we won't get one. (As an aside, I bet you all a code for the character that it'd be a First Party character from a repped series who wouldn't need a stage [no Byleth/Edelgard, no Gen 8, no Elma/Rex, in addition to characters like Isaac and Scorpion being off the table], so somebody among the lines of Paper Mario, Bandana Waddle Dee, or Tingle could happen. But I'm going to believe the pass is IT. In fact, assuming the stage list is final (Mementos, Yggdrasil's Altar, Spiral Mountain, "N. Sanity Beach/Last Corridor/Tekkenland bc I don't know Tekken/Tower of Salvation", "Spencer Mansion/Primp Town/Minecraft World/Courtroom", airquotes for potential stages), that's what I imagine most future DLC will be like if we get any at all.)

By the way, if Hero doesn't count as Square, Joker doesn't count as SEGA, ergo Arle has an existent chance, and SEGA seems to be one of the more liberal third parties for Smash content nowadays anyway while Square is not and Microsoft has yet to be seen. But I'm going to drop this. Instead, Sly Cooper is a character with very little chance, but he would be the bee's knees.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As I'm finishing up my first run through of Three Houses, I'm also trying to finish putting together my Edelgard moveset. Hoping to share it here once it's done.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
I could see an Advanced Wars character being pretty interesting. Especially if it was riding a tank. *Gasps* Incineroar could suplex a tank! I NEEEEEED THIS!!!!!!
I can totally see the tank angle working, and maybe for recovery options, the tank can swap to aerial units featured in the AW games, like bomber planes or battle copters.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I hope we see something today, even if it's just more Banjo stuff!

Won't be watching grand finals live unfortunately, as its all happening in a different timezone for me, but hopefully I wake up to something spicy!

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
As I stated earlier, I'm still wondering about the stage list. Even when the Fighter Pass is all said and done, there will still be empty spot left.
lets get a rhythm heaven stage please sakurai

Also, Sony said they have a big announcement sometime during EVO. PSASBR 2 anyone?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because I hate Echo Fighters, and I hate the idea of Echo Fighters for unlike franchises.

I also hate the idea of Echo Fighters having extreme differences, like one having projectiles and one not. Kinda betrays the concept.
Well, um...tough? Just because you specifically don't like something doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I mean, you can say you don't like the idea but your distaste for it isn't really good as evidence for or against something.

On the subject of Echo Fighters being different, I personally prefer it. I think everything's better when it adds something more unique even if it's just a singular meaningful change.

Better yet: Snake down throw on a tank.

God, this is so campy that I really love it.
Ooh! And the tank getting run over by a herd of Yoshis. It's brilliant!

I don't think you know what "campy" means.
We meant campy as in
Camp (n.) and Campy (adj.): Being so extreme that it has an amusing and sometimes perversely sophisticated appeal. Over the top and farcical, intentionally exaggerated so as not to be taken seriously. Found primarily in television, theatre and motion pictures, camp endeavors for satire and, for those who fully understand and appreciate the risible nature of its material, it's not surprising when it develops a cult following.
Quote from the Urban Dictionary.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As I stated earlier, I'm still wondering about the stage list. Even when the Fighter Pass is all said and done, there will still be empty spot left.
That empty spot is used for the random stage select switch for the stage builder stages.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
We meant campy as in
...Yes. I'm aware. I'm saying that definition doesn't work with what you are describing.

Well, um...tough? Just because you specifically don't like something doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I mean, you can say you don't like the idea but your distaste for it isn't really good as evidence for or against something.
It's a bad idea.

On the subject of Echo Fighters being different, I personally prefer it. I think everything's better when it adds something more unique even if it's just a singular meaningful change.
So the "Echo Fighter" label shouldn't exist at all, then.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah um, sorry to burst your bubble but about Dante: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._demand_says_series_should_be_on_switch_first

(Also I highly doubt we’ll get the Hunter since we already have Rathalos and that seems to represent Monster Hunter just fine)
If you really wanted to burst his bubble about Dante, just tell him to look at the strange L-shaped devices held in his hands.

What-what the heck are those?

Well, it's not like he's associated with those, right?

Ah, see! He totally wouldn't use them!

Vrbtm

If you really wanted to burst his bubble about Dante, just tell him to look at the strange L-shaped devices held in his hands.
Unfortunately, the precedent has already been set. I don't make the rules. I don't want Dante. But he's one of the most likely characters by far.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I hope we see something today, even if it's just more Banjo stuff!

Won't be watching grand finals live unfortunately, as its all happening in a different timezone for me, but hopefully I wake up to something spicy!
I feel you. It begins at 11PM for me. I mean, I like that Smash is closing EVO, in a way, but geez.

So far, if we get a Tekken announcement (which I think is very likely), then Smash and MK would be the only ones without EVO announcements, right?

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Also, Sony said they have a big announcement sometime during EVO. PSASBR 2 anyone?
You're probably joking, but that honestly made me wonder, If another PlayStation All-Stars game was announced, and if devs took time to actually polish it and refine its mechanics, do you think it could hold up as a suitable "rival" to SSBU, and as a viable title in the competitive FGC overall?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel you. It begins at 11PM for me. I mean, I like that Smash is closing EVO, in a way, but geez.

So far, if we get a Tekken announcement (which I think is very likely), then Smash and MK would be the only ones without EVO announcements, right?
Yes.
-Samurai Shodown got a second season of DLC announced (and SNK got a King of Fighters 15 announcement)
-Soul Calibur 6 got announcements for Cassandra, Haohmaru, and three other mystery characters
-Dragon Ball FighterZ got Janemba, along with Gogeta gameplay footage
-Street Fighter V got E. Honda, Poison, and Lucia (leaked)
-BlazBlue got two new series, Neopolitan from RWBY, and a version 2.0 of the game
-Under Night In Birth got a new game announced
EDIT: -Tekken got a third season of DLC, with returning character Zafina, a new character named Leroy Smith, and two unknown characters

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
You're probably joking, but that honestly made me wonder, If another PlayStation All-Stars game was announced, and if devs took time to actually polish it and refine its mechanics, do you think it could hold up as a suitable "rival" to SSBU, and as a viable title in the competitive FGC overall?
I don't think it would be a rival, but I would LOVE to see a sequel. I own a PlayStation Vita and I played the heck out of PSASBR. With how many 1st-party characters have released during the PlayStation 4's life cycle, there is plenty of potential for new fighters to join and make a very full/interesting roster.

And I was not joking, I would actually enjoy a sequel.

They would need a lot of polish for it to be competition worthy.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...Yes. I'm aware. I'm saying that definition doesn't work with what you are describing.
Erm. So you don't find Snake putting a tank to sleep with chloroform to be so ridiculous and over the top that it's funny? Well I guess not everyone has the same sense of humour.
It's a bad idea.
Says you.
Unfortunately, the precedent has already been set. I don't make the rules. I don't want Dante. But he's one of the most likely characters by far.
Yesterday your argument against characters with realistic guns was that "rules" can only be broken once per game. :facepalm:

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yes.
-Samurai Shodown got a second season of DLC announced (and SNK got a King of Fighters 15 announcement)
-Soul Calibur 6 got announcements for Cassandra, Haohmaru, and three other mystery characters
-Dragon Ball FighterZ got Janemba, along with Gogeta gameplay footage
-Street Fighter V got E. Honda, Poison, and Lucia (leaked)
-BlazBlue got two new series, Neopolitan from RWBY, and a version 2.0 of the game
-Under Night In Birth got a new game announced
Basically. Even then, Smash and MK both got new characters a week before, so it kinda balances out.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
...Please tell me you’re baiting...

You’ve been presented with rock solid EVIDENCE pointing heavily against him yet you still persist that he’s likely...?

His director basically said he isn’t happening, like I know NDAs are a thing but if he were under one why would he talk about having the series be on Switch first before he makes the jump to Smash?

(And before anyone brings up the port that was after planning for the Pass was finalized)

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Obviously the Smash newcomer that's gonna be revealed at EVO is Kuma from Tekken. Banjo will get to throw down with a realistic bear and it'll be the best thing ever.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Actually, the stage builder stages are in a different tab. The only time the custom stages appear on that screen is in the custom rules menu.

That's what I meant, I can't find a screenshot right now, but if you go to the random stage selection menu under rules. You'll see an additional switch for custom stages occupying one of the bottom slots. Leaving only three open spaces (Assuming you have all the current DLC so far)

I mean, they can always expand it if they wanted to do more DLC but yeah, that's what the empty space is currently used for.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
That's what I meant, I can't find a screenshot right now, but if you go to the random stage selection menu under rules. You'll see an additional switch for custom stages occupying one of the bottom slots. Leaving only three open spaces (Assuming you have all the current DLC so far)

I mean, they can always expand it if they wanted to do more DLC but yeah, that's what the empty space is currently used for.
God, my OCD is gonna kill me with that one empty space in the main stage select screen.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
God, my OCD is gonna kill me with that one empty space in the main stage select screen.
At the very least, I would have liked them to make the Training stage available for free for all if they weren't going to fill that empty space with a proper stage rather than just for a switch somewhere else at least but oh well...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Getting Snake in Brawl didn't result in getting a ****-ton of M-rated games added shortly thereafter, because he only broke the rule once.
Then we got one for Smash 4, and now we have one for Ultimate. We will not receive any more, because Sakurai doesn't break rules twice.
I think at this point I could just step back and have you debate yourself.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
At the very least, I would have liked them to make the Training stage available for free for all if they weren't going to fill that empty space with a proper stage rather than just for a switch somewhere else at least but oh well...
I always thought being able to play on the training stage would be fun.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’ve seen hackers using the Galeem/Dharkon/Final Battle stages for free play. Maybe make those accessible?

SmashDrone_07

Smash Rookie
Random topic: How would everyone feel if they added Excalibre or a different Warframe to Smash?

Im not suggesting this because I'm listening to We All Lift Together. Nope.
I feel like Warframe in Smash would be weird. I cant really see him in smash. But anybody can be in smash I guess.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

I can only imagine the horror in getting a second Playstation All-Stars to have Crash only come to that game instead and Rhythm Heaven getting a stage INSTEAD of a character :(

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Random topic: How would everyone feel if they added Excalibre or a different Warframe to Smash?

I know little to nothing about Warframe, aside from the fact that they have dozens of those exo-suits, all with unique abilities. Since I'm assuming there's no "main" or "cannon" suit, which one would they settle on? Or would they just go the Pokemon trainer route and swap between them?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So yeah, definitely feel like a fighting game character is slept on.

There’s a ton of options to choose from, personally to bring diversity I don’t feel Sakurai will go with a Tekken character but rather someone from a smaller but still popular franchise.

I could see Terry or Mai from SNK, Kasumi from Koei Tecmo, or if we’re going off of general iconic characters instead of franchises, then I could also see Morrigan.

Overall there’s a lot of potential to be had with continuing the genre from Ryu and Ken, which is why I’m keeping an eye on a character from said genre.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like Warframe in Smash would be weird. I cant really see him in smash. But anybody can be in smash I guess.
Having the franchise in Smash would be a bit weird, but that's been said about a bunch of franchises (Like Animal Crossing and Metal Gear) and now they feel like they've always belonged. At least to me.

I know little to nothing about Warframe, aside from the fact that they have dozens of those exo-suits, all with unique abilities. Since I'm assuming there's no "main" or "cannon" suit, which one would they settle on? Or would they just go the Pokemon trainer route and swap between them?
There are three you can choose from at the start, but Excalibur is the one for beginners. If they didn't use multiple then that's the one they would choose.

Vrbtm

that's been said about a bunch of franchises (Like Animal Crossing and Metal Gear) and now they feel like they've always belonged.
Animal Crossing and Metal Gear still feel like they don't belong (because they don't).

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

A Warframe rep would be pretty interesting and I can definitely see it being Excalibur since that Warframe is pretty much the mascot of Warframe since Excalibur is one of the 3 starters (and the most beginner friendly one), Excalibur Prime was the first Prime Warframe and is a founder exclusive, and Excalibur Umbra introduced the concept of Umbra Warframes. I've already decided on a Nikana type weapon for the melee weapon while the Primary and Secondary I'm not sure on since I'm mostly focusing on Melee combat (which Excal excels at due to the passive bonus regarding sword type weapons)

Specials are already easy enough to come up with since it would pretty much just be Excalibur's abilities (Such as launching a sword beam from his Exalted Blade, launching Radial Javelins at enemies, stunning enemies with Radial Blind/Howl, and flying in the air with Slash Dash). Standard moves are covered by his melee weapon (Dragon Nikana for Excal, Nikana Prime for Excal Prime, and Skiajati for Excal Umbra) since the Nikana stances have quite a bit of moves.

Hard part is the final smash since the best I have that doesn't involve spoiling Second Dream or The Sacrifice is a barrage of attacks from Exalted Blade.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Animal Crossing and Metal Gear still feel like they don't belong (because they don't).
You fool! You've activated my trap card!
Having the franchise in Smash would be a bit weird, but that's been said about a bunch of franchises (Like Animal Crossing and Metal Gear) and now they feel like they've always belonged. At least to me.
The last sentence in this statement reveals that the previous statement was my feelings on the matter causing any arguments against it to be completely irrelevant. I now summon my "Stop trying to attack other people's opinions" in attack mode!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom