• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Has that still not been used yet? For some reason I assumed it would be something akin to the Mystery Gift in the Pokemon games where you might occasionally get some small trinkets online or something but apparently that's already being covered by Nintendo Switch online.
It hasn't. And Sakurai and Nintendo haven't even commented on it.

It's been in the game since launch, yet it's the only feature we know nothing about.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This whole talk of individual DLC reminds me... what about that "gifts" section in the Vault? We never got that one explained, did we?
That's how the Pokemon Let's Go spirits were originally distributed, unless I'm thinking of something else. I can't recall if there was any backlash against that idea that forced them to reconsider, or they decided that spirit board events would be more effective, or if there just hasn't been another game for them to revisit that concept with.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
OrpheusTelos OrpheusTelos did you mean to add something to your post? Cause you just quoted 3BitSaurus without saying anything else

And yeah, that Gifts thing is mighty sus and nothing whatsoever has happened with it...

I doubt it’s anything Amiibo related

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh so it was meant to be used as a promotional thing. I suppose they decided to just have the spirits be used in the spirits events then. Otherwise they could have probably used the likes of the Peachette and Links Awakening spirits for that.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I feel its too soon to reveal something new for Smash, Hero was just released and Banjo is coming in the way.
But then again, Smash is in the main spotlight this EVO so maybe we could get an update for the game with HRC or something like that.
Personally I don't expect anything besides Marvel VS Capcom 4.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry but I dont quite understand the logic in expecting a reveal at EVO. We got two character reveals in June, Hero just released in July and Banjo is scheduled to be released Autumn. I think the community needs to learn a bit of patience.

The 4th character being revealed at Game Awards seems the most likely

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but I dont quite understand the logic in expecting a reveal at EVO. We got two character reveals in June, Hero just released in July and Banjo is scheduled to be released Autumn. I think the community needs to learn a bit of patience.

The 4th character being revealed at Game Awards seems the most likely
I think most people think Game Awards for the 5th is most likely, especially since Joker was announced then and didn't release till April.

I would have said a September/October direct made the most sense, but they could be attempting a staggered launch where we know about 2 characters most of the time.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Perhaps there could only be "individual DLC" outside of the pass at least at this point in time if they were A: an echo fighter or B: a unique character but one of an existing franchise that thus wouldn't need music and a stage as much.
Yeah, any echos would be a separate purchase outside of the season pass. Either stand alone or part of their own thing.

Frankly I only think DLC echos will happen if there's a second pass in development and they use an echo/echos to buy some time and keep the game in the public eye.
That'd honestly be a neat way to satiate the fans. Maybe they could pick from Black Shadow, Octolings, Medusa, Ms. Pac-Man, a joke character of either Glass Joe or another StarFox guy, that Persona chick, a Megaman character that could use his scrapped custom moves from Smash 4, Ninten, some Pikmin guy, or Dixie or a Sonic character like Metal Sonic if they could get away with it... (Dixie in terms of how unique she'd be and if say, Metal Sonic or so would be the best fit for that second Sonic character spot) IDK if there are any other viable options lol
Sabi has sorta implied it’s a possibility because of the tab missing on the website and Jon Cartwright from GameXplain has humored the idea of a character being announced at the finals, also keep in mind that Joker wasn’t hinted at either before his surprise reveal at the Game Awards, Nintendo are usually tight-lipped when it comes to announcing at events so we don’t always know for certain.
He kinda was with that whole Reggie banter with the Game Awards guy saying like "oh our game is launching a day after yours, we'll have to do something special!"
The closest we have to a full hint is Nintendo Soup retweeting a rumour. Which is, well... just a rumour. Though Sabi has a link to them in her profile...

No one else has said anything. Sure, no one called Joker, but... with how many eyes there are on EVO, and how it's kinda notorious for leaks, part of me thinks we would have heard something by now.
I mean, did any leakers call the 8 8 direct existing/getting announced there?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
He kinda was with that whole Reggie banter with the Game Awards guy saying like "oh our game is launching a day after yours, we'll have to do something special!"
Wait when did that happen?

Or was that at the Game Awards? Sorry my memory’s a bit fuzzy there.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
So, when you check the Fighters Pass update in the News section, at the bottom it says something along the lines of " Fighter pass content will distributed until 02/29/20." Did we always have this date? Or am I being dumb and this was already mentioned?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, when you check the Fighters Pass update in the News section, at the bottom it says something along the lines of " Fighter pass content will distributed until 02/29/20." Did we always have this date? Or am I being dumb and this was already mentioned?
Huh, weird. That must be new, the 29th specifically. Before it just said February 2020, no exact date

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Of course 2020 is a leap year so they can wait literally the longest they possibly could to release the last fighter.

SKX31

Smash Master
Of course 2020 is a leap year so they can wait literally the longest they possibly could to release the last fighter.
That's not a bad idea when we know how much effort was put into Joker and Hero, and is likely put into Banjo. They have unique aspects and small flourishes like unique victory screens or an entire submenu - those are not signs that the characters are rushed out. We also know that Banjo's mostly done - so right now Sakurai and co. have around 7 months to finetune Banjo and complete Fighters 4 and 5. It's also a lot of time and room for Sakurai and co. to decide on any further DLC or not.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Duck Hunt appears on the Duck Hunt stage
It doesn't count if the character and the stage were added at the same time.

King Dedede appears in the background of the Dream Land stage so long as no-one's playing as him
I would consider that an exception that proves the rule.

Piranha Plants appear on the Mushroom Kingdom stage.
Well, of course, because there's not just one Piranha Plant.

Having Travis Touchdown in IDK whilst putting all other violent characters in GTFO is certainly a choice you've made.
Travis Touchdown is one of the only characters from an ultraviolent series of games that could be toned down without harming his representation.

Obviously, all the other characters wouldn't work in my opinion. They're violent in different ways that are inextricable to their character.

I'm letting myself get baited here, but what makes Crash and Phoenix Wright "not happening" while characters that DO have chances above them include, other Square reps when we've already got Hero for the Fighter's Pass and two characters who've had developers openly deny their Smash inclusion or so? (Dante and Travis Touchdown)
I consider Hero more of an Enix rep. I know they're the same company, but still. Square did not create Dragon Quest, that's just a fact.

Crash is just Great Value Banjo. He's redundant, and you can't have a Crash Bandicoot crossover video game without Spyro. And nobody wants the last two characters to be Crash AND Spyro. That would be lame for a lot of people, speaking as a fan of those of those series.

Phoenix Wright was in UMvC3, and it was dumb. It was an experiment that failed, and there are cooler Capcom reps anyway.

Grant Kirkhope openly denied Banjo as well, so other developers doing the same literally doesn't mean anything at all.

Several of these "could happen" and "IDK" characters have been deconfirmed or implied as such, either by the company already having a rep in this pass (2B, Sora, etc)
Doesn't mean anything to me.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Travis Touchdown is one of the only characters from an ultraviolent series of games that could be toned down without harming his representation.

Obviously, all the other characters wouldn't work in my opinion. They're violent in different ways that are inextricable to their character.
While I'm not denying Travis can work toned down, it feels hypocritical for you to say that when No More Heroes is popular because of it's hilarious swearing, and the extreme violence. How is that any different from how you describe Doom or Mortal Kombat not working yet they've had examples where they were toned down and were fine?

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
If(and this is a big If) Smash Bros actually added a non video game character as the 5th and final fighter pass character, who would be the least disappointing/make the most sense.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Crash is just Great Value Banjo. He's redundant, and you can't have a Crash Bandicoot crossover video game without Spyro. And nobody wants the last two characters to be Crash AND Spyro. That would be lame for a lot of people, speaking as a fan of those of those series.
Banjo is a comparative no name when put next to Crash lmao.

And Crash and Spyro absolutely do not need to be added together...especially given the disparity between their receptions in Japan, where Crash was incredibly popular while Spyro flopped spectacularly.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It doesn't count if the character and the stage were added at the same time.
Says who? If the issue was the character being in two places at once (or players getting confused) then it shouldn't matter in what order that the stage and the fighter were added.
I would consider that an exception that proves the rule.
This isn't really a rebuttable, but I really don't get this phrase in general. Why would an exception prove a rule? Wouldn't it be more likely to disprove it?
Well, of course, because there's not just one Piranha Plant.
I know why it makes sense in terms of continuity, but I don't think that continuity was ever the issue since Duck Hunt can be fighting on the stage and in the background and Robin can summon Chrom to beat up Chrom.

Phoenix Wright was in UMvC3, and it was dumb. It was an experiment that failed, and there are cooler Capcom reps anyway.
I'd say Phoenix Wright's moveset in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 was hugely successful. In fact it seems to pay more homage to his game than most of the other characters in the game. I wouldn't say it's stupid either, just really campy, which fits the Phoenix Wright series to a T.

I'm not gonna argue that there aren't cooler Capcom characters, but Mr. Wright would definitely give the game a whole lot of charm.

Grant Kirkhope openly denied Banjo as well, so other developers doing the same literally doesn't mean anything at all.
This isn't against you specifically, I'm just not sure about the validity of this argument. Isn't Grant Kirkhope just a composer? If so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't know about any negotiations going on at the corporate level.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
If(and this is a big If) Smash Bros actually added a non video game character as the 5th and final fighter pass character, who would be the least disappointing/make the most sense.
The one that would make most sense would be somebody from an anime.

Cartoons wouldn't make sense due to some cartoons only being a western thing.
Live action movies/TV shows would just be weird.
And how would you even adapt a character from a book?

As for the person to come from an anime, it would most likely be either some sort of fighting oriented show (a la Dragon Ball) or something completely random (a la Love Live!).

Also, another thing to note is even after all the DLC gets added, there will be one extra stage slot that will be empty. Maybe something will happen with that?

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Says who?
Logic.

Why would an exception prove a rule?
The presence of an exception applying to a SPECIFIC case proves that a GENERAL rule exists.

I know why it makes sense in terms of continuity, but I don't think that continuity was ever the issue since Duck Hunt can be fighting on the stage and in the background and Robin can summon Chrom to beat up Chrom.
Smash is imperfect.

While I'm not denying Travis can work toned down, it feels hypocritical for you to say that when No More Heroes is popular because of it's hilarious swearing, and the extreme violence. How is that any different from how you describe Doom or Mortal Kombat not working yet they've had examples where they were toned down and were fine?
Because I don't think what you said about No More Heroes is true. I think that's an unfair and reductive characterization.

Banjo is a comparative no name when put next to Crash lmao.
Speaking as someone who doesn't like Banjo-Kazooie at all, and much prefers Crash games:

No.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Logic.

The presence of an exception applying to a SPECIFIC case proves that a GENERAL rule exists.

Smash is imperfect.

Because I don't think what you said about No More Heroes is true. I think that's an unfair and reductive characterization.
Speaking as someone who doesn't like Banjo-Kazooie at all, and much prefers Crash games:

No.
I mean the sales figures don't lie. Crash is a much bigger character than Banjo.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I mean the sales figures don't lie. Crash is a much bigger character than Banjo.
Banjo is just more popular because of the N64's nostalgia factor. The N64 was marketed towards younger ages while the PlayStation was geared towards teens and older. Even though they are both platformers, they play differently enough to not be comparable. Because of the younger age range of the N64, kids spent their "childhoods" playing Banjo-Kazooie.

Would you get more nostalgia from a game you played when you were 8-11 or a game you played when you were 15-17?

I know I have nostalgia from playing Lego Star Wars, Splinter Cell, and Call of Duty Black Ops. I played those in my 9-12 years. But the games I played from then on don't have that same feeling.

It's like comparing Call of Duty to DOOM. Sure, they're both FPS games, but aside from that, they play almost entirely different.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

This doesn't matter. Banjo-Kazooie is the game that allowed all these 3D platformers/collect-a-thons featuring anthropomorphic animals to exist. Conker, Crash, Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Gex, Blinx, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Croc: The Legend of the Gobbos, and even Tak and the Power of Juju all basically did what Banjo-Kazooie set the foundation for years ago. Even Donkey Kong and Star Fox fell into that **** for a game or two.

Crash is a footnote compared to that level of influence.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Then I think it's clear that this is what a lot of people in this thread think about your opinion on Doom and Resident Evil. It's unfair and reductive.

Especially when we're talking a game like No More Heroes. A game where Suda 51 was literally on the record saying "I'll also try my best to make No More Heroes as violent, or even more violent than Manhunt 2!" One of the very few games in history to get an AO rating from the ESRB.

It also pretty notoriously got toned down so that it could even be released in Japan and Europe, and then there were complaints from European fans that they didn't get the gore. No More Heroes as a series has always been openly provocative and violent.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
didn't we just say we werent gonna talk to this guy

at least john dylan smith was fun :drflip:

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Especially when we're talking a game like No More Heroes. A game where Suda 51 was literally on the record saying "I'll also try my best to make No More Heroes as violent, or even more violent than Manhunt 2!" One of the very few games in history to get an AO rating from the ESRB.
Well, he failed spectacularly on the word "go!" because No More Heroes is stylized and anime-esque, whereas Manhunt 2 is grisly and realistic. So, the latter is going to be the more violent of the two every single day of the week.

That's why it's easy to tone down. You can't tone down Doom and get away with it (rightfully).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, can I just interrupt all of this to say that the Blitztank reveal for BBTAG made me think that a character from Advance Wars/Famicom Wars inside a tank could be a really interesting addition if done right?

Dunno, I just really liked that concept. I love my left-field picks.

Any AW fans here? What do you think?

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Well, he failed spectacularly on the word "go!" because No More Heroes is stylized and anime-esque, whereas Manhunt 2 is grisly and realistic. So, the latter is going to be the more violent of the two every single day of the week.

That's why it's easy to tone down. You can't tone down Doom and get away with it (rightfully).
I beg to differ:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_RPG
https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_II_RPG

So, can I just interrupt all of this to say that the Blitztank reveal for BBTAG made me think that a character from Advance Wars/Famicom Wars inside a tank could be a really interesting addition if done right?

I've never played Advance Wars. How is it?

Last edited:

Vrbtm

I like an AW rep more as an Assist Trophy, like there was in Brawl. Not everything has to be a character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This doesn't matter. Banjo-Kazooie is the game that allowed all these 3D platformers/collect-a-thons featuring anthropomorphic animals to exist. Conker, Crash, Spyro, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Gex, Blinx, Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Croc: The Legend of the Gobbos, and even Tak and the Power of Juju all basically did what Banjo-Kazooie set the foundation for years ago. Even Donkey Kong and Star Fox fell into that **** for a game or two.

You...you do realize Crash pre-dates Banjo by about two whole years, right?

SonicMario

Smash Master

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 5.32.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 5.33.11 PM.png

(Opossum greninja'd this factoid. Buuuuuut...)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I've never played Advance Wars. How is it?
Never played it either: I just see the name of the series and some characters being thrown around quite a bit here and in other Smash-related discussions.

The reason I asked is because most related movesets I've seen use the Commander units fighting solo and then summoning tanks and other stuff (like Jin Saotome from MvC2) for attacks.

But having a literal tank as a playable character in a fighting game like that... I dunno, that resonated with me for some reason I can't explain. :joyful:

That's why I wanted to know what the actual fans of that series think. Having the AW character be a Commander (or a whole group of them) fighting from inside a tank.

EDIT: Like this.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

You...you do realize Crash pre-dates Banjo by about two whole years, right?
You... you do realize that doesn't matter, right?

It went on to take influences from Banjo-Kazooie, at which point it went on to become a more successful franchise, but that's mostly because the PlayStation was a better console than the N64. The first Crash game wasn't well-received, relatively speaking. Neither was the second game. Do you realize that?

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Never played it either: I just see the name of the series and some characters being thrown around quite a bit here and in other Smash-related discussions.

The reason I asked is because most related movesets I've seen use the Commander units fighting solo and then summoning tanks and other stuff (like Jin Saotome from MvC2) for attacks.

But having a literal tank as a playable character in a fighting game like that... I dunno, that resonated with me for some reason I can't explain. :joyful:

That's why I wanted to know what the actual fans of that series think. Having the AW character be a Commander (or a whole group of them) fighting from inside a tank.
Why fight as a tank when we have the e x c i t e b i k e r a c e r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom