• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
It's not like Sakurai breaks rules, but only once (except for when he does twice).
It's more like he cares about keeping each batch of newcomers pretty varied so he'll usually try to avoid redundancies between characters. But it's not like Joker and Doomguy or a RE character would share much of anything at all beyond having a gun, so...
Finally, a reasonable response. I can accept this point of view.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Gun styles would be very much different, too.

Though I do guess it helps characters from other genres... including the RE crew, Doomguy and others.

Which brings me to a question: which currently unrepresented genres would you all like to see in Smash assuming the last 2 DLC are from these new genres?
probably Beat em ups and gta style open world genre.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Gun styles would be very much different, too.

Though I do guess it helps characters from other genres... including the RE crew, Doomguy and others.

Which brings me to a question: which currently unrepresented genres would you all like to see in Smash assuming the last 2 DLC are from these new genres?
Rhythm music genre, preferably from a Nintendo-housed series that already serves that.

Last edited:

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I really don't care about "genres" being represented at all, really. I just want cool characters that deserve to be and belong in the game.

I guess it's weird that there's so little horror stuff in Smash, but there are so few viable reps in my opinion. I would file anyone from RE into the "not even worth entertaining" category.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Alright. This discussion on fan rules is just going in circles. Let's just please move onto another topic.

How about when do we think the next Direct is coming? And will they reveal ANOTHER character in it or naw?
I think Banjo will be revealed either close to or in the customary fall direct. I think the next character may be revealed there, too. Banjo starts the Direct and the new character ends it.

D

Deleted member

How about when do we think the next Direct is coming? And will they reveal ANOTHER character in it or naw?
I hear about how a Direct will probably happen in September, but I'm going to guess we'll get 1 in October. I don't think Banjo-Kazooie will be released in November, so I'm willing to believe we'll get a reveal around that time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Given we've had to wait at least a month and a half for characters so far, I'm thinking Banjo gets released in October and then in a direct they revel the next character, maybe both.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I expect Banjo to release somewhere between September and October. I still believe we won't see the last two characters until near the end of the year.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Alright. This discussion on fan rules is just going in circles. Let's just please move onto another topic.

If I had to guess, probably around September since that's when they usually happen. Maybe there'll be another character reveal since the timing would make sense, but I'm not sure. At the latest, I'm sure we'll know something about the fourth character by the time Banjo releases, which I'm guessing will be around October.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hmmmmm...

I think the next Direct, in September, will give us a new character. Then in late September/early October we will get the video presentation for Banjo, with him dropping the same day or day after. Finally, we will have the fourth character dropping in December, and in that character’s video presentation we will also get the final DLC character, who will be released (along with video presentation) no later than early February.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't really think there will be an announcement of anything at EVO to be honest.

What if Banjo & Kazooie released on Halloween? I think that'd be pretty funny.
If Nintendo wants to set a precedent as a dominant force at EVO then getting a reveal would be possible. However, they have yet to do it.

HOWEVER, last year we did get the announcement of the most epic Smash Bros. Direct EVER at the end of EVO last year. And they weren't front running EVO last year. That was Street Fighter. This year, all eyes are on them for the big finale. So, I guess we'll see. I suppose at most we could get is a Joker level teaser but that's all.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

Direct will probably not be this month and if there is a Direct AND it has Smash stuff, it'll probably just be going into detail about Banjo. If I want to get a little crazy, I'd bank on a teaser for #4 or a new mode.

I don't really think there will be an announcement of anything at EVO to be honest.

What if Banjo & Kazooie released on Halloween? I think that'd be pretty funny.
Be pretty neat for Banjo to release on Halloween, but he already looks like he has plenty of stuff done and Luigi's Mansion 3 drops on Halloween so I can see Banjo dropping before the end of October (if only because I'm pretty sure people will start clamoring for him by September 23rd)

P.Kat

Smash Champion

Long time no see guys, and gals. I feel a direct will come around September or October, and we'll get a character reveal around November

StormC

Smash Hero

I'd say the first two weeks of September like the last few years, but there's a chance fate will screw us and they make us wait until October. Character #4 will definitely be there.

Dexlr8

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Dex#661
I'd say the first two weeks of September like the last few years, but there's a chance fate will screw us and they make us wait until October. Character #4 will definitely be there.
Part of me wants to hope for an early reveal, but either way Nintendo is gonna give us just a release window instead of a set release date, which is honestly a double edged sword.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Was anyone else waiting for the ultimate troll during the Banjo reveal in which it would end after Duck Hunt laughing?

Also if anything was to come out of EVO, it would be like a Joker reveal/Peggle 2 level of announcement.

Dexlr8

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Dex#661
Was anyone else waiting for the ultimate troll during the Banjo reveal in which it would end after Duck Hunt laughing?

Also if anything was to come out of EVO, it would be like a Joker reveal/Peggle 2 level of announcement.
Has Nintendo ever made an announcement at EVO before?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I really dont think were getting anything at evo. Would love to be wrong but i think we will have a standard september direct with DLC 4 announced and then Banjo + 5.0 update overview in October.

Dexlr8

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Dex#661
I really dont think were getting anything at evo. Would love to be wrong but i think we will have a standard september direct with DLC 4 announced and then Banjo + 5.0 update overview in October.
I wouldn't get my hopes up, but Nintendo is pretty unpredictable. Guess that's what makes it so rewarding when we actually get an announcement!

Nquoid

Smash Ace
In my mind, there's only 3 things that could happen at EVO based on the rumour mill at the moment:

1) First party Nintendo character not in the pass. Most likely Geno or Porky
2) An announcement of some kind of fighting character being in the fighters pass
3) An announcement for a direct that will include some Smash information.

But then we could also get nothing at all.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Might wanna rethink your sentence there.
Geno is 1st party in that he'd fall into the Mario series of characters. Obviously Square has to be involved. But it's not like Square can ever actually do anything with Geno outside of a new Super Mario RPG without Nintendo's blessing. It's probably closer to a 2nd party character than 1st, but I also would never call them 3rd party despite the Square ownership.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Geno is 1st party in that he'd fall into the Mario series of characters. Obviously Square has to be involved. But it's not like Square can ever actually do anything with Geno outside of a new Super Mario RPG without Nintendo's blessing. It's probably closer to a 2nd party character than 1st, but I also would never call them 3rd party despite the Square ownership.
Doesn't matter what you have to tell yourself to believe that Geno is a 1st party character. He isn't. He's 100% owned by SE. No amount of twisting of the facts is going to change that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I wonder...In a hypothetical situation in which Geno is added to the game, would they classify him as being from the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars character to avoid confusion. (So he wouldn't be a guest character that is from a non-guest series)

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Doesn't matter what you have to tell yourself to believe that Geno is a 1st party character. He isn't. He's 100% owned by SE. No amount of twisting of the facts is going to change that.
Okay I'm phrasing it badly. He is a owned by a third party company. But in such a way that Square can never actually functionally use him. I would be absolutely sure that Square would have to get Nintendo's permission if they ever wanted to use Geno for a non-Super Mario RPG sequel.

He is a Mario character. All of his appearances have been in Mario RPGs and Smash. His franchise logo on the Spirit board is from the Mario series. His rights are a legal grey area, in that neither Nintendo or Square can fully utilise him.

And because of that, I don't think he makes sense as a character for the main pass. But as an additional bonus content character for the fans? Absolutely 100%

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I wonder...In a hypothetical situation in which Geno is added to the game, would they classify him as being from the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars character to avoid confusion. (So he wouldn't be a guest character that is from a non-guest series)
Nintendo has rights over SMRPG as well as Square so idk. I know he’d use the normal Mario series icon, though, it being the mushroom, since his and Mallow’s spirits use it.

If you mean the Smash x [game] thing, then yeah; I believe they did that for his costume in Smash 4. I guess the other RPG Mario characters already have their own series mentioned instead of just “Super Mario series,” though.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Oh man I missed the Doom vs RE debate. Oh well I'll still put in my two cents.

You guys are arguing over the wrong things. "Too gory?" "Too violent?" isn't the question to be asking. You need to ask "What can this character do that would be unique and interesting?" While I'm in the camp that Sakurai can turn litterally any character into a unique fighter, there are some characters that are inherently packed with more potential.

So I have to admit, as much as I love Resident Evil, the people you play as don't have any unique powers or weapons. And why would they? The appeal of a survival horror is that you are a mortal human trying to survive with what you got. If you had amazing weapons, armor, magic, or whatever it would ruin that aspect of the game.

Doom, on the otherhand, is the exact opposite. Doomguy has all sorts of cool weapons that are distictly Doom. He's fast, strong, and brutal.

Now which characters have the potential to be a more fun and unique fighter? Jill/Leon? Or Doom Slayer? I'm going to have to go with the Doom Slayer. I'm not saying Jill/Leon couldn't be incredibly unique and fun. Ofcourse they can! But who seems more obvious right off the bat as someone bursting with fighter potential? Doomguy can do anything Jill/Leon can and much much more. And yes, they could make them focus on survival aspects of the series, and have Jill\Leon conserve ammo or hold on to Herbs and stuff. But c'mon... I'd much rather play as the guy who can pull a bajillion different weapons out of nowhere and rampage through the stage. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026

You guys are arguing over the wrong things. "Too gory?" "Too violent?" isn't the question to be asking. You need to ask "What can this character do that would be unique and interesting?" While I'm in the camp that Sakurai can turn litterally any character into a unique fighter, there are some characters that are inherently packed with more potential.

So I have to admit, as much as I love Resident Evil, the people you play as don't have any unique powers or weapons. And why would they? The appeal of a survival horror is that you are a mortal human trying to survive with what you got. If you had amazing weapons, armor, magic, or whatever it would ruin that aspect of the game.

Doom, on the otherhand, is the exact opposite. Doomguy has all sorts of cool weapons that are distictly Doom. He's fast, strong, and brutal.

Now which characters have the potential to be a more fun and unique fighter? Jill/Leon? Or Doom Slayer? I'm going to have to go with the Doom Slayer. I'm not saying Jill/Leon couldn't be incredibly unique and fun. Ofcourse they can! But who seems more obvious right off the bat as someone bursting with fighter potential? Doomguy can do anything Jill/Leon can and much much more. And yes, they could make them focus on survival aspects of the series, and have Jill\Leon conserve ammo or hold on to Herbs and stuff. But c'mon... I'd much rather play as the guy who can pull a bajillion different weapons out of nowhere and rampage through the stage. But that's just my opinion.
This is exactly what I was trying to point out in my earlier post (except I made arguments for both). The only difference is it should be classic Doomguy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Of course there are exceptions, but I think that plays into why Doom Slayer actually has notable popularity and RE is more a case of "yeah, makes sense".

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Doesn't matter what you have to tell yourself to believe that Geno is a 1st party character. He isn't. He's 100% owned by SE.
I don't think THAT'S accurate, because that would mean Square could use the character without any permission from Nintendo, and I don't think that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom