• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This is exactly what I was trying to point out in my earlier post (except I made arguments for both). The only difference is it should be classic Doomguy.
It doesn't make too much of a difference which Doomguy they use. That's why I said both Doomguy and Doom Slayer. Both are tough as nails characters with a ridiculous arsenal.

The only reason I might prefer the new Doom Slayer is because he comes with more physical attacks and a more brutal way of fighting. And the newest game even comes with a grappling hook shotgun. I can see that working so well in Smash.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Geno's situation is kind of like Kirby and Fire Emblem where ownership is split between Nintendo and the creator company, the difference here being Nintendo doesn't own all or any of Square Enix.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I've really warmed up to idea of Doomguy/slayer in Smash, he'd be a whole lot of fun, he's from a legendary series/franchise and his aesthetic would look great along with the rest of the cast. BK was always my #1 so DLC can go anyway it wants for me.(Tho I'd love Crash) From playing Joker & Hero and knowing Banjo-Kazooie are gonna be pretty crazy, the DLC is pretty eccentric. I feel mysterious fighter #4 & #5 would have to be similar the other 3 in that respect.

Btw are there only two living breathing leaks left right? The 4Chan one with Edelgard & Sylux (It's more than likely false) & the Raysquad one from Gamefaqs with Lloyd & Crash? The last two might blow all of our expectations.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
So I decided to go all out with the Ancient Minister Semi-Clone idea. As a ROB main, I’d absolutely love this to be in the game.

4853535F-B2D6-4ABA-A24E-DA5472725A00.jpeg

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
Here's where speculation stands at the moment, from my perspective:

- Characters taken from Source Gaming's video, "Top 50 Super Smash Bros. DLC Fighters That YOU Voted For!"
- I could be convinced of the five characters in the IDK-tier, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone below is not happening
- The tiers were created a long time ago back when I thought Spirits merely "soft" deconfirmed; now, I think they're a hard deconfirmation
- "Other" includes any characters that appear in a stage's background, or in Pac-Man's Namco Roulette taunt (Heihachi, Prince of All Cosmos, etc.)

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I'd argue Phoenix Wright is still on the table because if we are getting a Capcom character there is a chance that they didn't want to pick a Monster Hunter or Resident Evil character for various reasons. Of the three, I hope they pick Mr. Wright because he would be the most interesting to me, and we'd get to hear Persuit ~ Cornered in Smash (Which is obviously the more important thing).

- "Other" includes any characters that appear in a stage's background...
Being on a stage isn't a disconformation since there are a few characters like this already. For example Duck Hunt appears on the Duck Hunt stage, King Dedede appears in the background of the Dream Land stage so long as no-one's playing as him, and Piranha Plants appear on the Mushroom Kingdom stage. Though I think the only would be newcomer like this worth talking about is Captain Toad, and I don't think we'll be getting him mainly because I think he makes a better base roster character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'd argue Phoenix Wright is still on the table because if we are getting a Capcom character there is a chance that they didn't want to pick a Monster Hunter or Resident Evil character for various reasons. Of the three, I hope they pick Mr. Wright because he would be the most interesting to me, and we'd get to hear Persuit ~ Cornered in Smash (Which is obviously the more important thing).
I feel like if MH was going to be in the game, it would have been a base game character to go with Rathalos. Could still happen, but it's unlikely.

As far as I'm concerned, a Pass Capcom character is either from RE or AA.

Though in the event that we get more DLC post-pass and no Capcom in the Pass, Dante's chances would go up again.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace

Having Travis Touchdown in IDK whilst putting all other violent characters in GTFO is certainly a choice you've made.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

- Characters taken from Source Gaming's video, "Top 50 Super Smash Bros. DLC Fighters That YOU Voted For!"
- I could be convinced of the five characters in the IDK-tier, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone below is not happening
- The tiers were created a long time ago back when I thought Spirits merely "soft" deconfirmed; now, I think they're a hard deconfirmation
- "Other" includes any characters that appear in a stage's background, or in Pac-Man's Namco Roulette taunt (Heihachi, Prince of All Cosmos, etc.)
I'm letting myself get baited here, but what makes Crash and Phoenix Wright "not happening" while characters that DO have chances above them include, other Square reps when we've already got Hero for the Fighter's Pass and two characters who've had developers openly deny their Smash inclusion or so? (Dante and Travis Touchdown)

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I feel like if MH was going to be in the game, it would have been a base game character to go with Rathalos. Could still happen, but it's unlikely.
Man, if for some reason they did cut out MH from the game at some point I would be seriously disappointed, I love MH and back then even before Rathalos was revealed I made a lot of movesets with a friend because we both were so hyped for the possibility of MH playable in the game.
It didn't happen and I moved on because, at least there was some MH representation in Smash.
For that very reason I think is already too late to add MH to the game, at this point I'd rather get a different Capcom character.
btw play Monster Hunter is a good game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

If Monster Hunter were to been in the game I think he would had been confirmed alongside Rathalos. I'd say he's pretty much deconfirmed at this point.

Also Phoenix, Crash, Lloyd, RE rep, Doom Slayer and Layton all still has a running chance.

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice

"GTFO" >doomguy
and yeah what was already said
Several of these "could happen" and "IDK" characters have been deconfirmed or implied as such, either by the company already having a rep in this pass (2B, Sora, etc)
"Not happening" is kind of a silly label at this point, don't cha think? Nobody expected Joker, let alone the bloody piranha plant. A more realistic version of this should factor less "I don't think it'll happen" and more "has creator deconfirmed/spirit deconfirmed/etc?" into the chart, it's kinda biased at this point
Sorry if i come off as rude here but baseless assumptions don't get anyone anywhere.
also people want Monokoda? how would he even work as a character? he's far more violent than the likes of Doomguy or the RE folks, with gruesome death scenes being a staple of the series

edit- this isn't discord

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man, if for some reason they did cut out MH from the game at some point I would be seriously disappointed, I love MH and back then even before Rathalos was revealed I made a lot of movesets with a friend because we both were so hyped for the possibility of MH playable in the game.
It didn't happen and I moved on because, at least there was some MH representation in Smash.
For that very reason I think is already too late to add MH to the game, at this point I'd rather get a different Capcom character.
I do think if Monster Hunter was planned datamining info would had been found already about him/her and Sakurai would had also mentioned him/her alongside Alucard, Decidueye, ARMS rep and Rex.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
also people want Monokoda? how would he even work as a character? he's far more violent than the likes of Doomguy or the RE folks, with gruesome death scenes being a staple of the series
I've seen people suggest Monokuma as a joke before, my friends included. Even as a huge Danganronpa fan, I have a hard time coming up with a good moveset for any of the characters that wouldn't already be too similar to the Phoenix Wright movesets I've seen thrown around. There's basically no reason to include someone like Naegi when Phoenix already fills his niche and is arguably easier to implement. I'd be more than down for getting some Danganronpa tracks in Smash though, just because I adore the soundtrack so much.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, while I do think a Hunter is almost certainly not happening, the moveset potential is definitely there. And there was a Spirit category for Generations Ultimate that went unused, just like the ones for Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps.

But hey, think of it like this... more of Capcom's iconic franchises in Smash, possibly!

Dante would still be on the realm of possibility if not for one of the DMCV directors saying literally tweeting "lol no" to him being in the game. He's now on a Nintendo platform (which according to Dante's creator was a hurdle, though not necessarily to Sakurai himself) and the people at Capcom seem to at least like the idea, so maybe next time we can finally get to make memes about "featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series".

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dante would still be on the realm of possibility if not for one of the DMCV directors saying literally tweeting "lol no" to him being in the game.
But Saurus! Grant Kirkhope said the same thing about Banjo with "Don't hold your breath" sounding uncertain about his inclusion!!!!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
But Saurus! Grant Kirkhope said the same thing about Banjo with "Don't hold your breath" sounding uncertain about his inclusion!!!!
Normally, I'd agree, but if I remember correctly, Grant didn't know anything during the time he first "deconfirmed Banjo". He was contacted afterwards.

Besides, I think it's understandable to think some of these responses could be "lying under NDA", but then you'd have to assume that all of them are lies, not just the one that interests the community.

I know you're probably joking around with me, but I just wanted to put this out there anyway. :joyful:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Genuinely think we’ll get an announcement of some sort tonight at the EVO grand finals.

Keep in mind Nintendo is financing EVO this year and they also revealed last year’s Smash Direct at EVO. With the DLC character reveals seemingly being kept for huge events like TGA and E3 it’d make sense for Fighter Pack #4 to follow in suit.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Genuinely think we’ll get an announcement of some sort tonight at the EVO grand finals.

Keep in mind Nintendo is financing EVO this year and they also revealed last year’s Smash Direct at EVO. With the DLC character reveals seemingly being kept for huge events like TGA and E3 it’d make sense for Fighter Pack #4 to follow in suit.
I don't think that this is happening unless Fighter #4 is from a traditional fighting game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If the next fighter is revealed tonight it'll definitely be a fighting game character given EVO's theme.

-Kyo Kusanagi/Mai Shiranui/Terry Bogard
-Heihachi
-Kasumi
-Nakoruru
-Nightmare
-Scorpion

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't think that this is happening unless Fighter #4 is from a traditional fighting game.
Which is exactly who I think it’ll be from.
If the next fighter is revealed tonight it'll definitely be a fighting game character given EVO's theme.

-Kyo Kusanagi/Mai Shiranui/Terry Bogard
-Heihachi
-Kasumi
-Nakoruru
-Nightmare
-Scorpion
I’d also say Morrigan as well, other than that I agree with every pick here.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I’d also say Morrigan as well, other than that I agree with every pick here.
Problem with Morrigan is Darkstalkers as it is now is a dead franchise besides appearances in the Marvel vs. Capcom games. I doubt she'll happen tbh as much as I wouldn't mind her and unique she'd bring to the table.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Problem with Morrigan is Darkstalkers as it is now is a dead franchise besides appearances in the Marvel vs. Capcom games. I doubt she'll happen tbh as much as I wouldn't mind her and unique she'd bring to the table.
That’s absolutely fair, yeah I’d say she has a shot because she’s at least iconic, but she’s definitely the least likely out of all of them except maybe Scorpion (Since MK is banned in Japan)

But yeah overall a fighting game character is something the community really sleeps on.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The most likely I'm betting on is Heihachi, SNK fighter and Nakoruru. Heihachi being the most likely out of the three.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
My hesitation for a full fighter announcement at EVO is the fact that no one seems to even be hinting at it. We've had hints that a direct is on the horizon, but nothing for a new character on it's own from the regular sources.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we did get an announcement I still don’t think it’ll be Pass Fighter 4, as the Stages section still has NEW on it while characters doesn’t. Could be an individual character, safest bet would be an Echo as they wouldn’t disrupt the expected numbering the Pass would fill out, and Sakurai himself said Echoes wouldn’t be in the Pass. He didn’t say they couldn’t be standalone though

With the impending “major” Persona 5 Royal announcement on the 17th, I expect a Kasumi Yoshizawa tease perhaps

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the most we'll get at Evo is a stay tuned.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Except unless a Season 2 Pass gets confirmed after the DLC run Sakurai said none of the 5 DLC fighters would be echos.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
My hesitation for a full fighter announcement at EVO is the fact that no one seems to even be hinting at it. We've had hints that a direct is on the horizon, but nothing for a new character on it's own from the regular sources.
The closest we have to a full hint is Nintendo Soup retweeting a rumour. Which is, well... just a rumour. Though Sabi has a link to them in her profile...

No one else has said anything. Sure, no one called Joker, but... with how many eyes there are on EVO, and how it's kinda notorious for leaks, part of me thinks we would have heard something by now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Except unless a Season 2 Pass gets confirmed after the DLC run Sakurai said none of the 5 DLC fighters would be echos.
Yeah, any echos would be a separate purchase outside of the season pass. Either stand alone or part of their own thing.

Frankly I only think DLC echos will happen if there's a second pass in development and they use an echo/echos to buy some time and keep the game in the public eye.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Sabi has sorta implied it’s a possibility because of the tab missing on the website and Jon Cartwright from GameXplain has humored the idea of a character being announced at the finals, also keep in mind that Joker wasn’t hinted at either before his surprise reveal at the Game Awards, Nintendo are usually tight-lipped when it comes to announcing at events so we don’t always know for certain.

Events at this point are kinda like Russian Roulette, you never know if the gun’s loaded or not.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Individual DLC can still happen. I feel like Piranha Plant won’t be the only one if there’s a whole section labeled Individual DLC...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still keeping expectations low and preparing for disappointment but if we do get anything I think it'll be the announcement of the next direct or #4 tease.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Individual DLC can still happen. I feel like Piranha Plant won’t be the only one if there’s a whole section labeled Individual DLC...
I wonder if they'll do some standalone DLC stages either to bring back the few stages that didn't make it or something promotional like the Mario Maker stage.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I honestly think if there is another DLC fighter separate from the pass that won't be until after the last two are revealed. Knowing how Sakurai can bend the rules and he's unpredictable I could see that fighter being Waluigi or even Porky Minch (As a gift for Mother fans along with releasing Mother 3 in the West) for free. I would expect it to be someone 1st Party like Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
There's still a lot of 1st parties to cover, especially those from the WiiU and Switch eras.

(Gonna go on the basis that Assist Trophies aren't allowed but Spirits are.)

There's ARMS in general. Spring Man is an AT but the rest of the cast is free. Min-min won the final Party Crash and can kick as well as punch so she's a good candidate.
Dixie and Cranky Kong got co-starring roles in DK Tropical Freeze
Then there's Xenoblade X & 2 who've been spoken for a lot.
And last but not least, new Fire Emblem and Pokemon are here so they may get a promo pick.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This whole talk of individual DLC reminds me... what about that "gifts" section in the Vault? We never got that one explained, did we?
We didn’t... hmm...

There's still a lot of 1st parties to cover, especially those from the WiiU and Switch eras.

(Gonna go on the basis that Assist Trophies aren't allowed but Spirits are.)

There's ARMS in general. Spring Man is an AT but the rest of the cast is free. Min-min won the final Party Crash and can kick as well as punch so she's a good candidate.
Dixie and Cranky Kong got co-starring roles in DK Tropical Freeze
Then there's Xenoblade X & 2 who've been spoken for a lot.
And last but not least, new Fire Emblem and Pokemon are here so they may get a promo pick.
IMO Rex is screwed as his Mii Costume reveal implied he wouldn’t even be playable DLC, and that doesn’t bode well for Torna’s Lora, but Elma imo might have a shot. Fiora is in Shulk’s Final Smash, but we all see what’s going on with Chrom so she’s another possibility.

While less likely, I would like to see any of Medusa, a RH rep, Octolings or Black Shadow.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This whole talk of individual DLC reminds me... what about that "gifts" section in the Vault? We never got that one explained, did we?
Has that still not been used yet? For some reason I assumed it would be something akin to the Mystery Gift in the Pokemon games where you might occasionally get some small trinkets online or something but apparently that's already being covered by Nintendo Switch online.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
They used it for the Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee spirits you got when you bought that game, but aside from that they haven't used it much. You'd think they'd do more stuff like that with new releases like Mario Maker 2 or Three Houses, but the Pokemon spirits were the only time they did something like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom