• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Wait, I'm confused. Didn't the japanese twitter leaker make a post saying he was just joking? If so, why are we bringing him up again?
No, that's not what he said. The joke was that he knew the name of the character, when the reality is he only knows small tidbits of info through his contact.

Yknow. Theoretically.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
But have you considered this?

I think I've proved my point.
People talk about moveset potential. I get it, a character's moveset is important, but have you considered M E M E potential instead?

In all seriousness, though, Crash could bring a lot of stuff from his original three games. I would like a lot of crates, personally. At least one of his specials needs to involve crates. Please. I get disappointed enough DK doesn't use barrels.

No, that's not what he said. The joke was that he knew the name of the character, when the reality is he only knows small tidbits of info through his contact.

Yknow. Theoretically.
Oh, okay, got it. Still interesting to talk about then. With a grain of salt, of course.

D

Deleted member

That'd make a pretty rad Final Smash.
My pick for the Final Smash would be a level inspired by Hog Wild or the Polar stages. Working similar to Captain Falcon's Final Smash.

Maybe it could end with the popular Crash dance doh.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait, I'm confused. Didn't the japanese twitter leaker make a post saying he was just joking? If so, why are we bringing him up again?
That “joking” reply was literally only in response to a tweet that basically said “the next character is [REDACTED]”, replace [REDACTED] with a censor bar. Like he was making a joke there that was basically “I know exactly who it is and I’m not telling y’all”

He DOES seem to still have a legitimate source who predicted Hero wouldn’t have female alts, and Smash VR tho, so we can’t count out the rest of his claims

(Edit) :ultgreninja:’d

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What does everyone think of the Undertale/Waluigi leak gaining a tiny bit of heat?
Don’t buy it, think it’s a Loz18/Dante In Smash style troll wherein the person happens to have legit info about one thing, but throws in fake info for another thing on purpose just to screw with fans

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
This early in the year, when we're still waiting for Hero and Banjo to drop, getting a legitimate leak would effectively kill off speculation. I don't like the idea of this getting spread out, and neither should anyone else.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don’t buy it, think it’s a Loz18/Dante In Smash style troll wherein the person happens to have legit info about one thing, but throws in fake info for another thing on purpose just to screw with fans
That, and to keep Nintendo's "ninja's" off their back by making it seem more like a lucky guess.

If I recall correctly, that's partly why some leakers mix in fake info with legit ones. So they won't seem too suspicious and all.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
While I doubt Waluigi, I do find the idea of Undertale in Smash cool.
My friend and I were just talking about how the hints could mean Frisk or even Undyne. Combine that with my theory that the next character will be for a more universal/casual demographic and you have real potential.

I know Frisk is non-binary but I don't know what pronouns or perception is for the character's gender in Japan so y'know.

Undyne would be cool, though very unexpected. And Frisk could have a cool Spare/Fight stance switching thing.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I find it hilarious that the Walugi/Undertale character are now going to be some of the most speculated characters, not to disparage the characters but you probably couldn't ask for a more "meme-y" choice of characters outside of obviously non-compatible stuff like Shrek/Goku.

D

Deleted member

I find it hilarious that the Walugi/Undertale character are now going to be some of the most speculated characters, not to disparage the characters but you probably couldn't ask for a more "meme-y" choice of characters outside of obviously non-compatible stuff like Shrek/Goku.
Both Undertale and Waluigi aren’t comparable to Shrek or Goku, tbh.

While the leak is potentially fake since Waluigi is right now out of the run, Undertale would legit bring cool stuff to Smash.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Both Undertale and Waluigi aren’t comparable to Shrek or Goku, tbh.

While the leak is potentially fake since Waluigi is right now out of the run, Undertale would legit bring cool stuff to Smash.
No I completely agree, I'd actually love to have Waluigi and and Undertale character would be neat. I was mainly comparing them to choices that also get memed to oblivion.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ok but consider the following:

I will make Super Smash Bros...

1560789209282.gif

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
The major issue in both cases is implementation. No one can agree on what the ideal Undertale rep is (for me personally, it's Papyrus with Sans backing him up), let alone how their movesets can work in-game. Waluigi's problem is having literally nothing but spin-off material and a cheatyface personality to work with.

IMO, the chances of these characters getting in aren't nearly as problematic as the question of how they're getting in. Everyone has their own idea of what an ideal Waluigi moveset would be, or what a tolerable/fitting Undertale character would be, and such ideas are, more often than not, incompatibly conflicting. Having speculation bottlenecked to these two would lead people to either seek out contradictory leaks or speculate on what their movesets would be like.

People had a general idea of how Erdrick or Banjo would operate. The likes of Waluigi and Frisk/Sans/etc getting in, however, almost demands that one solve the moveset issue first before one can consider the idea. And if tons of people make up their own strange ideas of how these characters should work in Smash, then that's a ton of people who may not like what reality delivers in the end.

I'm not saying it'll certainly happen, but it's a scenario that I find wholly avoidable as long as the idea doesn't spread like wildfire. Doubly so if Verge stays mum until the very end again.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Waluigi's problem is having literally nothing but spin-off material and a cheatyface personality to work with.
I actually think the biggest problem of all, trumping over any AT or lack of significance Waluigi has in the franchise, is the amount of content an FP character is supposed to come with. Sure, Waluigi Pinball can be his stage, but can you think of enough new music and spirits?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
This early in the year, when we're still waiting for Hero and Banjo to drop, getting a legitimate leak would effectively kill off speculation. I don't like the idea of this getting spread out, and neither should anyone else.
Yeah, if you'd call these leaks legit . . .

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Yeah, if you'd call these leaks legit . . .
I never found the Grinch Leak legit by any margin, but look what happened there.

If we could definitely kill these leaks off as fast as possible, that'd be great, but it's almost never as easy as that.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
I actually think the biggest problem of all, trumping over any AT or lack of significance Waluigi has in the franchise, is the amount of content an FP character is supposed to come with. Sure, Waluigi Pinball can be his stage, but can you think of enough new music and spirits?
There's more than enough Mario tracks to go over. As for spirits, they could cheap out and collect a smattering of even more Mario spin-off characters, or perhaps just Waluigi alts.

It's horribly lazy and egotistical of course, but hey, you're already considering Waluigi as a Fighters Pass character.

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
But have you considered this?

I think I've proved my point.
I mean he'd be funny, but I think hed be a better vanilla base game character, a lot of his moveset could be borrowed from other characters.

If he get's in though, I REALLY want his trailer to be from that commercial where he insults Mario.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So what's the reasoning behind believing the Japanese Female fighter guy?
I mean he'd be funny, but I think hed be a better vanilla base game character, a lot of his moveset could be borrowed from other characters.
Hero totally looks like he takes moves directly from Link and FE character...

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I feel like sometimes this community is just far too quick to jump on the latest popular “leak”.

Pretty crazy how people are actually just accepting Undertale and Waluigi as the last two Fighter Pass characters. But I know what we do here is speculate so I get it.

I still don’t believe it and I don’t believe this Japanese “female fighting character” guy either, but that’s probably because things like the Grinch Leak have made me super skeptical now. I don’t want to get hurt again! :(

Let me know if Shinobi leaks anything. I trust that man with my life.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Hero totally looks like he takes moves directly from Link and FE character...
It's less that people believe it and more that it's fun to consider. The idea that the next character is a physical female character with a throwing weapon or projectile from a new company gets people all excited and discussing possibilities.

The guy got a lot of stuff right in the past and claims to have a source. No one says he's infallible but it is making it fun. Nothing wrong with thinking about various people's claims and theories. Between color theory, Nintendo's own demographic claims, and now this, it gives a lot of people something to chew on.

D

Deleted member

There isn't any reason to be 100% behind what the guy says, but I'm more inclined to think about what he has to say than someone saying Undertale and Waluigi are the next DLC Fighters. At least with this guy, he's pretty mysterious about some of the things he says: a female character, looks like from a fighting game, and has a flying weapon. They're vague yet at least it keeps me thinking about who that could possibly be. Could it be Mai? Could it be Jill? Could it be Ayane? Could it even be Dynasty Warriors' Wang Yuanji? There's some fun to be had with that even if it turns out to be fake.

Plus I don't see Nintendo and Sakurai mutually agreeing to put Waluigi as DLC. Nintendo would have at least known Waluigi was going to be an Assist Trophy during development, so I don't think they'd tell Sakurai to make Waluigi playable a month before release.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Blue is Jill Valentine Orange is Crash

I did it guys

Also today in the RTC thread we are rerating Bandana Dee, Doomguy, and Phoenix Wright. Come on down.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That'd make a pretty rad Final Smash.
He does that, and then the other characters just... die.

If he get's in though, I REALLY want his trailer to be from that commercial where he insults Mario.
I don't think you looked at that gif enough times.

Seriously though, third-parties don't get included on the basis of moveset potential. They get in based on who they are. If existing attacks can be repurposed, that's only going to be a benefit for a DLC character, look at Joker.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's less that people believe it and more that it's fun to consider. The idea that the next character is a physical female character with a throwing weapon or projectile from a new company gets people all excited and discussing possibilities.

The guy got a lot of stuff right in the past and claims to have a source. No one says he's infallible but it is making it fun. Nothing wrong with thinking about various people's claims and theories. Between color theory, Nintendo's own demographic claims, and now this, it gives a lot of people something to chew on.
When did it say throwing/projectile? I don’t recall that detail being in the original tweets

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Look, I'm a big Waluigi supporter but even I can tell the leak with him and Frisk is full of it. I'm a firm believer that the entire fighters pass will be third party characters.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
When did it say throwing/projectile? I don’t recall that detail being in the original tweets
For reference, there's this tweet he made.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And then he later posted a tweet showing examples of what he meant - a boomerang and a Hammer Bro hammer.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

That could be a fan, a spear, a shuriken...

Last edited by a moderator:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
There isn't any reason to be 100% behind what the guy says, but I'm more inclined to think about what he has to say than someone saying Undertale and Waluigi are the next DLC Fighters. At least with this guy, he's pretty mysterious about some of the things he says: a female character, looks like from a fighting game, and has a flying weapon. They're vague yet at least it keeps me thinking about who that could possibly be. Could it be Mai? Could it be Jill? Could it be Ayane? Could it even be Dynasty Warriors' Wang Yuanji? There's some fun to be had with that even if it turns out to be fake.

Plus I don't see Nintendo and Sakurai mutually agreeing to put Waluigi as DLC. Nintendo would have at least known Waluigi was going to be an Assist Trophy during development, so I don't think they'd tell Sakurai to make Waluigi playable a month before release.
Hey man, I never said I was behind the Waluigi/Undertale thing either. That could totally be Loz18 type trickery or whatever.

Could Crash have enough of a pull to be a notable "new" audience with the DLC? He shares basic genre with Banjo of course, but he also had a much larger, perhaps?, audience with the success of N. Sane, and that was even before it also came to non-Sony consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom