• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Joker and the DQ Hero weren't heavily demanded characters yet they got in. Fan demand isn't everything.
Correction: The DQ Heroes weren't heavily demanded in the west. A franchise Japan loves more than the rest of the world is of course gonna be more demanded there.

D

Deleted member

Just to make a small reminder, these are some of the strong points that makes Crash seem pretty possible right now:

>Activision wants him in
>Popular both in the West and Japan
>Currently a flagship Activision property due to how great it sells
>Has a good chunk of cool titles on Nintendo systems
>Returned forever around 2017 (same year DQXI released)
>West picks are now highly likely
>Nintendo considers Crash an icon
>The current relationship between Activision and Nintendo is wonderful
>He and Spyro are getting all of their new games on Switch
>Moveset potential
>Cool music to bring in
>Stage potential like the Time Twister from Warped
>Crash vs Sonic vs Mario

Never use fan theories to consider someone likely.

D

Deleted member

Joker is more of a modern JRPG character.
So?

That isn’t a reason to take out Crash just for being a platformer character.

And I could also say that Banjo is a 3D collect-a-thon character while Crash is a 3D Platformer one.

D

Deleted member

If they all have unique movesets, he won't think the pass is repetitive.
This is also a thing too.

Hell, I even relate with this statement as someone who got told by many DQ detractors that the Hero would just feel like a boring repetition of a FE moveset.

And look how wrong that turned out to be.

osby

Smash Obsessed
...and so is Luminary. lol

Both SMT and Dragon Quest got their start on the Famicom.
Persona is significantly younger than Megami Tensei, its first title was a 1996 release. It's really hard to argue Joker was added to please SMT or old Persona titles' fans.

This is also a thing too.

Hell, I even relate with this statement as someone who got told by many DQ detractors that the Hero would just feel like a boring repetition of a FE moveset.

And look how wrong that turned out to be.
It's hilarious when people try and act like all FE characters have the same moveset and Sakurai reuses it with every character who remotely uses a sharp weapon.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's hilarious when people try and act like all FE characters have the same moveset and Sakurai reuses it with every character who remotely uses a sharp weapon.
Except for Link, because they knew who he was when they were 5.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Persona is significantly younger than Megami Tensei, its first title was a 1996 release. It's really hard to argue Joker was added to please SMT or old Persona titles' fans.

And also, Joker himself didn't debut until 2016, and the earliest Persona title represented in the game was a 2006 release. I also don't think that they added him to please old nostalgic fans considering how new he is.

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, Nintendo namedropped it in their press release:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...mash-bros-ultimate-as-a-playable-dlc-fighter/

The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems.
But if you don't like that argument, Dragon Quest XI came out in 2017 and Persona 5 came out in 2016. Why are they okay but two platformer mascots from the same era are unlikely?

D

Deleted member

Yup, people just like to make stretch when it comes to sword users for reasons I don’t know.

Thankfully that doesn’t matter for me anymore since I got Eight in.

Hopefully Crash Bandicoot is part of the Fighter Pass too since he is the only one left from my most wanted.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I guess we will wait and see whether the likes of Tansut, Shinobi or even Vergeben will have any new info on the remaining two for now.

Anyways, do you guys think we may get another surprise character in a similar fashion to the Piranha Plant?

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If we got two JRPG characters as DLC then two platformer characters as DLC isn't impossible. With that said, I really do think that any third party candidate that isn't represented in Smash in some form has a legitimate shot for the fighters pass. Right now we can't tell who will be next and the mii costume theory hasn't been proven yet. We also don't have any legitimate leaks or insider information pointing to who might be next. We really are in uncharted territories right now.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't think that Sakurai would make the Fighter Pass that repetitive.
5/7 of Smash 4's DLC line-up originated from Japanese RPGs. (Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Cloud, Corrin)

Okay, so technically, Roy originated from Melee, but Fire Emblem's still a strategy/tactical role-playing game.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, Nintendo namedropped it in their press release:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...mash-bros-ultimate-as-a-playable-dlc-fighter/

But if you don't like that argument, Dragon Quest XI came out in 2017 and Persona 5 came out in 2016. Why are they okay but two platformer mascots from the same era are unlikely?
I have nothing against your argument. I agree that DLC can cater to similar demographics.

It's just saying Persona 5 appeals to SMT fans is like saying Banjo-Kazooie appeals to DKCR: Tropical Free fans. Same roots =/= same fanbase.

D

Deleted member

I have nothing against your argument. I agree that DLC can cater to similar demographics.

It's just saying Persona 5 appeals to SMT fans is like saying Banjo-Kazooie appeals to DKCR: Tropical Free fans. Same roots =/= same fanbase.
Yeah, that is completely true.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
True, a lot of times PR talk ends up being completely meaningless fluff.
But, so far at the end of each character's trailer we see "Smash Bros x ______" The blank space conveniently being a new series each time. That gives this train of thought a pretty good leg to stand on.

What would they do at the end of Waluigi's trailer?
Smash Bros x Mario Bros?
Smash Bros x Wario Bros?
Smash Bros x Waluigi?

None of those really make much sense to me.
Interesting thought but just because they have ended the trailers off before with Smash Bros x ______ for a third party character doesn't mean all the remaining characters have to be third parties and have to have Smash Bros x ______ at the end of their trailer.
I wouldn't take fan demand as the end all be all for this Fighters Pass. I also really doubt we're getting Geno when you consider the three characters we've had so far are new franchises.

Spirits deconfirm.
Yeah fan demand definitely is not the end all be all. As we've seen before, promotion and other things are major factors that are considered however fan demand does mean a heck of a lot. It's the only reason Banjo is in this game after all.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
You would think that with how wild Ultimate base roster and how crazy the fighter pass is looking like, people would stop thinking about "muh representation" when really, it seems like the fighter pass's theme is seemingly "**** it let's just make the impossible possible and as many people happy as we can"

If they feel that they can get the overwhelming reaction that Joker/Hero/Banjo got with two more platformers or two more JRPG, they'll add more JRPG and Platformers, no matters the balance.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah, that is completely true.
I mean yeah, Crash is bound to have a much larger mainstream audience than Banjo thanks to his current relevance in successful remasters. Like Crash has always had more games, and now has the more merchandise in stores (for now I suppose...) Plus if we need one other less-Nintendo-associated third party to fully take advantage of this new Westerner fighter thing before the Fighter's Pass is over...

D

Deleted member

Yeah, there aren’t needed criterias or representation needs on this Pass.

So anyone is possible as long as they come from a game.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Nothing against Undertale. The music would be bopping. The stage I imagine would look good. Being the first indie character in would be a monumental event and a fantastic achievement, which is why I can see it happening, but I am someone who would prefer a traditional third party character on the basis we have so many to go through. No doubt Undertale would generate hype, but man, maybe I am not ready for an indie character? It at least would be an incredible reveal.

Then Waluigi? Ending the pass with a Mario character that does not really do much after the four that came prior to him? He is possibly the most highly requested charecter from Nintendo right now, and I am sure it will be a crowd pleaser for the Nintendo fans, but something about him being included in this stacked pass that seems... off. It would be a missed opportunity to not continue the impossible feats of third party inclusions at the end.

And for some reason I am not convinced he would come last due to the assets already existing, but that can be explained by marketing strategies I am guessing.

I am going to assume we are getting Frisk and Waluigi to avoid the disappointment. Better safe than sorry, even if I believe it is fake.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
So was there not official statement that "oh, they'd want to grab as many new audiences through DLC as possible"? Cause Joker seemed surprising but then you had highly requested Banjo and Hero.

If Crash is in, it'll merely be three genres picked instead of four assuming the other last one is a new genre. And even then there'd be kinda different audiences through the genres of platforming and RPG.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So was there not official statement that "oh, they'd want to grab as many new audiences through DLC as possible"? Cause Joker seemed surprising but then you had highly requested Banjo and Hero.

If Crash is in, it'll merely be three genres picked instead of four assuming the other last one is a new genre. And even then there'd be kinda different audiences through the genres of platforming and RPG.
It was stated by Nintendo during their investor meeting shortly after Joker's reveal.

Each character picked has the potential to bring a new demographic to Smash, too. Joker has the PlayStation crowd, is a trendy modern character from a hit RPG, and is an older-teen and adult fan favorite. Hero was a huge Japanese request, plus a promotional pick for DQ11, and older Nintendo fans especially in Japan are super excited. People who don't know Smash know DQ. Banjo was representative of losing Rare to Microsoft. Once that happened, a lot of gamers moved to either PS2 or Xbox and the GameCube finished third (despite being an awesome system lbr). Banjo was meant to entice those gamers who moved to Xbox back then back to Switch and show that the two companies and consoles can work together and both be part of your life.

It's why I truly feel the next character will be aimed towards a more casual audience, whether that's Visual Novel fans or Simulation fans or Puzzle fans. Not necessarily non-gamers, but people outside of the existing demos.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Let us trust in Sakurai. The remaining two fighters (even if they don't end up being those we want) will surely surprise us (in a good way). :kirby:

D

Deleted member

So the guy that was adamant about there being a female character in the Fighter Pass said this earlier today:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

He also posted an example of a flying weapon with someone throwing a boomerang and a Hammer Bro, so it's safe to assume said fighter has some projectiles in their moveset.
There was also this vague tweet he made yesterday:

Twitter Translation:
Joker: The main character of Persona 5 (Atlas: not shown) Hero: The main character of Dorakue (Skueni: already mentioned) Bankaz: The main character of Banjo and Kazuo's adventure (Rea: already mentioned) ? ? :? ? ? 'S main character (???: not yet?) ? ? :? ? ? 'S main character (???: already appeared?) It might be like this

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So the guy that was adamant about there being a female character in the Fighter Pass said this earlier today:

He also posted an example of a flying weapon with someone throwing a boomerang and a Hammer Bro, so it's safe to assume said fighter has some projectiles in their moveset.

Twitter Translation:
Joker: The main character of Persona 5 (Atlas: not shown) Hero: The main character of Dorakue (Skueni: already mentioned) Bankaz: The main character of Banjo and Kazuo's adventure (Rea: already mentioned) ? ? :? ? ? 'S main character (???: not yet?) ? ? :? ? ? 'S main character (???: already appeared?) It might be like this
Oh Jesus the Frisk and Waluigi leak makes sense here

EDIT: That said, it seems like the next one will be a new company and then a company already represented. The next one is a main female character with a flying weapon, and the last one is a main character from a company already in Smash. Lloyd Irving is the first person that comes to mind for the last one, but maybe it could be Phoenix?

Last edited:

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
You know, if Jill gets revealed and her title on the Punch-Out stage isn't "The Master of Unlocking," then I want a full refund for the game and fighters pass.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

Twitter Translation:
Female that "looks like a fighting game character" who has a flying weapon?

Mai Shiranui anyone?

Mai-kofxiv.png

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
Just to make a small reminder, these are some of the strong points that makes Crash seem pretty possible right now:

>Activision wants him in
>Popular both in the West and Japan
>Currently a flagship Activision property due to how great it sells
>Has a good chunk of cool titles on Nintendo systems
>Returned forever around 2017 (same year DQXI released)
>West picks are now highly likely
>Nintendo considers Crash an icon
>The current relationship between Activision and Nintendo is wonderful
>He and Spyro are getting all of their new games on Switch
>Moveset potential
>Cool music to bring in
>Stage potential like the Time Twister from Warped
>Crash vs Sonic vs Mario

Never use fan theories to consider someone likely.
What moveset potential? He's pretty bland. Half of these reasons are pretty bad and reaching.

Who is the Mr. H guy and how is he credible? I doubt that there will be a true pattern of characters being 3rd party since last time we had 3/4 3rd parties and Banjo is only in because of fan support.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Twitter Translation:
Aw man, I thought we were done with this guy. :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom