• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hey y'all currently chilling for the night on my trip with internet. What was this talk a while back about this supposed leak if an female fighting game character?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Hey y'all currently chilling for the night on my trip with internet. What was this talk a while back about this supposed leak if an female fighting game character?
There was some random Japanese twitter account back before the release of Ultimate that said the DQ hero with alt skins would be DLC, there'd be Switch VR and that a female fighting game character would be DLC as well.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
There was some random Japanese twitter account back before the release of Ultimate that said the DQ hero with alt skins would be DLC, there'd be Switch VR and that a female fighting game character would be DLC as well.
Interesting.

If true ones all I can think about are Morrigan, Mai Shiranui, Ivy/Sophitia, Kasumi (Dead or Alive), Chun-Li and Nakoruku. Any other possibilities?

Last edited:

AuraCuba

Smash Rookie
NNID
Klipso
Switch FC
1143-1102-9840
Did they specify the skins exactly? Or did they just say that Hero would have skins and not specifying which ones?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
For fun, of the characters that everyone seems to think are the most likely, which two would you want most?

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

For me - Crash and Doomslayer
I'd be fine with any combination from that list, but in terms of which one I'd want the most, I'd go with Dante and Doom Slayer. Devil May Cry 5 and Doom 2016 are some of the most fun that I've had playing video games, and I'm sure that the Smash team could replicate that pretty well.

Ornl

Smash Ace
スマブラ(NS)にドラクエの主人公(女除く)と格ゲーのキャラ(覚えてない)が追加
Dragon Quest Hero (without female) and fighting game character (forgot who) will be added in Smash Bros.

"Forgot who"? Seriously? Smash brings together video game icons, not forgettable characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
That "female fighter" leak is 100% bullocks I wager. Who would it even be? Morrigan?

For fun, of the characters that everyone seems to think are the most likely, which two would you want most?

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

Crash and and either an RE character or Dante.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In before one of the Skull Girls chicks makes it into the fighters pass as that "female fighter". Whoever the main face of that series is...

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

I would say between a Tales of Rep or Heihachi would be my choice for the fourth DLC character. For Tales I would preferably opt for either Velvet, Lloyd or Yuri.

As for the fifth DLC character, maybe Dante.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I'm not expecting the last 2 characters to be super 'hype' like the previous ones due to budget reasons. Dragon Quest is a huge series and was probably very expensive to get into Smash including that music and the fact that there is 4 models for the Hero. Banjo and Kazooie's trailer while yes was a throwback to Rare, the fact that it reused assets already available says a lot to me. Honestly I could see us getting a Nintendo character in this pass because of this or at least cheaper third parties that would be easier to aquire.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't know if we are getting a female fighting game character because most of them are either obscure, have better options for characters from their franchise, or both.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if we are getting a female fighting game character because most of them are either obscure, have better options for characters from their franchise, or both.
This!

And in my opinion, we already have the biggest fighting game character, Ryu. The other named series are not nearly as popular as Ryu and I hope they will rep some other genres in Smash (like FPS (Doom) or horror (Resident Evil)). Having a fighting game character would be such a letdown.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
スマブラ(NS)にドラクエの主人公(女除く)と格ゲーのキャラ(覚えてない)が追加
Dragon Quest Hero (without female) and fighting game character (forgot who) will be added in Smash Bros.

"Forgot who"? Seriously? Smash brings together video game icons, not forgettable characters.
Yeahhhh, I don't know. "But I forget who it is" is generally something you see on fake leaks. You can't re-check what was shared with you? I mean, did they send it over SnapChat? Did you speak on the phone? If so, are they now out of reach to re-clarify?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This!

And in my opinion, we already have the biggest fighting game character, Ryu. The other named series are not nearly as popular as Ryu and I hope they will rep some other genres in Smash (like FPS (Doom) or horror (Resident Evil)). Having a fighting game character would be such a letdown.
Especially considering that most options for female fighting game characters are either from obscure franchises, don't have a lot of demand, have better options for characters from their franchises, or all of these things. I don't think that we are getting a female fighting game character in the FP.

D

Deleted member

I just hope that Coco Bandicoot gets in at least as an alt of Crash.

She is my favourite character from the main Crash game and my second favourite from the spin-offs behind N.Trance

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Not that it opens up many doors, but the only way that "a female character that appeared in a fighting game" would be an accurate statement for a character that has not originated from a fighting game would be if the "Super Smash Brothers Ultimate x (Game name)" is a fighting game itself. I'm in agreement with you. 98% of fighting games have a guy as the face of the franchise and would very likely be chosen over the lead female. There are only a couple exceptions, Skull Girls and Arcana Heart being a few of them and neither are very likely to be in Smash regardless. It's a very curious leak to say the least.
Yeah... out of the options people brought up, I think only Sophitia has a decent chance. And even then, I find it hard for them to go for SC before Tekken, since both belong to Bamco. This assuming that Sakurai found a way, between Smash 4 and now, to translate 3D fighters to Smash the way he originally intended to.

In before one of the Skull Girls chicks makes it into the fighters pass as that "female fighter". Whoever the main face of that series is...
Filia, I guess. But I don't see it happening. There seems to be little demand for something like that.

Unpopular opinion: I'd rather we don't get indies. I think they deserve their own Smash, to be frank. I wish the Rivals of Aether guys would expand to something like this...

This!

I dunno, Tekken is more popular than SF in a lot of circles. If Sakurai and team manage to get over technical limitations, I think a Tekken character is a pretty safe bet. Plus, they'd be representing the 3D fighter subgenre, which would be pretty cool imo, even if I have no personal attachment for any of those games.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Yeahhhh, I don't know. "But I forget who it is" is generally something you see on fake leaks. You can't re-check what was shared with you? I mean, did they send it over SnapChat? Did you speak on the phone? If so, are they now out of reach to re-clarify?
We agree. So the Japanese leak about the female fighting game character is bogus. Because there is no logical female fighting game character who can provoke general enthusiasm, and because the identity of this character has no valid reason for not being revealed by the author.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Unpopular opinion: I'd rather we don't get indies. I think they deserve their own Smash, to be frank. I wish the Rivals of Aether guys would expand to something like this...
There is Indie Pogo, but I think the most influential indie titles should still be eligable for Smash.

Semi-Unrelated but I'd like to see a game that's like Blade Strangers, but with a slightly larger scope, less original the character anime girls, and a Shovel Knight who isn't a hulking behemoth.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
The other day, browsing through the topics, I saw a thread supporting one character that up until then I hadn't even considered as a possible pick for the DLC. So far the names that I've seen most mentioned when it comes to a Bandai Namco rep have been Lloyd Irving (Tales of), Heihachi (Tekken), or a Soul Calibur rep (Siegfried, Nightmare, or Sophitia more recently), but there is one character that has both history, and has cameo'd quite a few times in Tales of games, and crossovers like Project X Zone 1 & 2, and it is none other than Valkyrie.

I've never played a Valkyrie game before, but from what I learned in her support thread, and from what I saw from her while playing Project X Zone 1 & 2, she could bring a very interesting play style to the roster. True that at first glance she might seem like another "Link" (having a sword and shield), BUT, being able to use Magic starts giving her some Palutena vibes. Now, the real kicker is that in her games she uses a magic called "Option Magic" in which she summons mini-versions of herself that perform the same (or similar) actions that she does. Imagine a mix of :ultlink:, :ultpalutena:, and :ultolimar: (being able to summon mini familiars that could have a similar mechanic to Olimar's Pikmin management).

I'm still open to whomever gets added as the final 2 DLCs, but in regards to Bandai Namco, I'm inclining more to Valkyrie's favor.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The other day, browsing through the topics, I saw a thread supporting one character that up until then I hadn't even considered as a possible pick for the DLC. So far the names that I've seen most mentioned when it comes to a Bandai Namco rep have been Lloyd Irving (Tales of), Heihachi (Tekken), or a Soul Calibur rep (Siegfried, Nightmare, or Sophitia more recently), but there is one character that has both history, and has cameo'd quite a few times in Tales of games, and crossovers like Project X Zone 1 & 2, and it is none other than Valkyrie.
Do most people know who this is even within the gaming community?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I mentioned Sophitia here.

But to give my cents on her, I'd say she's not as popular simply because people associate SoulCalibur with Nightmare, Sigfried, Mitsurigi, Ivy and Taki.
While she's not the most popular, she is/was the de-facto main character (and I was really only firing her out in regards to the tweet that very well may mean nothing).

Divorced from that, I'd say Nightmare. But in terms of "female fighting game characters"...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

Same boat I’m also crash and doomslayer

But I could say Ryu Hayabusa as well since he’s the last nes era character left for smash

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
There is Indie Pogo, but I think the most influential indie titles should still be eligable for Smash.

Semi-Unrelated but I'd like to see a game that's like Blade Strangers, but with a slightly larger scope, less original the character anime girls, and a Shovel Knight who isn't a hulking behemoth.
I'd say there'd need to be another general Western icon as a character before an Indie Western character, even if Shovel Knight was the first battlefield-present Western owned and created character.

I have to wonder if both of the remaining newcomers will be Westerners. Someone had this argument that DLC would be a bit of an IOU to Japanese fans with the Western focused base roster of Ultimate. Though that kinda only accounts for Ridley, King K Tool and Dark Samus, I have to wonder if maybe there'll be another balance between a Western and Japanese character deal, to make everyone happy. Maybe even only Japanese/Western characters with some level of general pull in both territories (Banjo seems to be adored by Japanese players, K. Rool and Ridley are Nintendo characters) so no highly obscure, unmarketable characters in either region.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Do most people know who this is even within the gaming community?
Well, it is true that currently she is an obscure character, and her appearances in games recently have been very few. Nonetheless, I wouldn't rule her out of the realm of possibility. Some interesting details to note are (of course these mean nothing nor confirm anything):

1. In SSBU, Pac-Man's up taunt will at random moments spawn a pixelated version of Valkyrie (as it also spawns other Namco characters).
2. In Project X Zone 2, Valkyrie's involvement in the story has her team up with none other than Chrom and Lucina (two of the FE characters within SSBU's roster).
3. Project X Zone 2 was released on November 12, 2015; a little bit before the start of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's development around February of 2016.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
I think female fighting game character leak is most likely fake. Since that leaker should of at least known her name or description outside of "female fighting game character", even if she is an obscure pick.

D

Deleted member

Pete Hines from Bethesda, when talking about Doom (about Eternal and the series 25th Anniversary and such), says at 39:14 "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans".

Is he hinting at Doom Slayer as DLC for Smash?
Eh, that could refer to anything. He might just be referring to more Bethesda games on Switch.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Honestly I see it kinda difficult for Doomguy to be in Smash just due to being non-existent in Japan (D44M sold quite poorly from what I recall). They would need to add another overly Japanese pick to counter it.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So uh that Japanese twitter account posted in English. This time they dropped fighting and it's now just female. I wonder if he's referring to the same fighter

There was a problem fetching the tweet

D

Deleted member

So uh that Japanese twitter account posted in English. This time they dropped fighting and it's now just female. I wonder if he's referring to the same fighter
If they are Jill Valentine, I’ll be happy both for staindgrey staindgrey and the MvC2 player inside me.

D

Deleted member

It could just his english, but it seems he might not be so sure if the the next character is female. At least when he said the Hero without female alts, the translation didn't look like he took a guess.

andree123

Smash Ace
I think he is referring to Kazooie, a part of Banjo, can you ask him?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Doomslayer

Ryu Hayabusa

Crash

Resident Evil rep.

Tales of rep.

Kos-Mos

Heihachi

Dante

Thinking Tales rep and RE rep.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they are Jill Valentine, I’ll be happy both for staindgrey staindgrey and the MvC2 player inside me.
And I will continue to be in a state where I wish I was more excited. I guess that's what happens when you've gotten pretty much every thing you wanted. lol

I think they only character that would get a large reaction out of me would be Amaterasu, especially with the knowledge that I helped make that happen, as she was my ballot pick, and the ballot is the only reason for picking her. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even rank top 100 though.

D

Deleted member

I think he is referring to Kazooie, a part of Banjo, can you ask him?
It's a bit of a stretch for him to imply the female fighter is Kazooie, especially since he hasn't even mentioned BK at all and we're days past the reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom