• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Capcom has more potential franchises than just RE. And, we might not even get a Capcom character in the Fighter Pass at all.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Capcom has more potential franchises than just RE. And, we might not even get a Capcom character in the Fighter Pass at all.
Valid points. But RE is a ******* juggernaut man. It is easily one of the largest franchises not in Smash. Also the only realistic non RE character from Capcom imo is Phoenix but whatever.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Valid points. But RE is a ******* juggernaut man. It is easily one of the largest franchises not in Smash. Also the only realistic non RE character from Capcom imo is Phoenix but whatever.
There's also Amaterasu and Dante. I think that there's a good chance that the FP doesn't even have any Capcom characters whatsoever. Also, this is my 2000th post.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
There's also Amaterasu and Dante. I think that there's a good chance that the FP doesn't even have any Capcom characters whatsoever. Also, this is my 2000th post.
Dante got soft deconfirmed a while back, and Ammy is nothing compared to Phoenix and RE. Hell I would say Morrigan is more likely since at least she is in literally every Capcom crossover under the sun almost.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Dante got soft deconfirmed a while back, and Ammy is nothing compared to Phoenix and RE. Hell I would say Morrigan is more likely since at least she is in literally every Capcom crossover under the sun almost.
The only problem with Morrigan is that she has little to no demand.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The only problem with Morrigan is that she has little to no demand.
Neither did Joker prior to his reveal. Joker was a sleeper pick, where people were not necessarily asking for him but people were chill with him.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm thinking that we are getting a Bethesda character and a promotional Nintendo character similar to Corrin.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone skilled enough able to make an "updated" roster with Banjo and Hero? I am curious what the roster would look like.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm thinking that we are getting a Bethesda character and a promotional Nintendo character similar to Corrin.
To play devil's advocate: why Bethesda? If it comes to all-new companies, I think Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft would take precedence, since they already have content in Ultimate (as in, it could potentially be easier to negotiate with them). When it comes to those who don't, there's at least Level-5 and SNK to consider.

So why Bethesda specifically? I've just seen you talk a lot about them and I'm curious.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have to probably play Devil's Advocate on good ol' Morrigan. She's still one of Capcom's most prominent characters (other being Ryu, Mega Man, Chun-Li, Zero and Dante), and that alone already makes her stand out. Not to mention, there's still demand for a new Darkstalkers to be made.

Of course, the character could also be Nakoruru, Athena Asamiya or Sophitia, but I wouldn't count Morrigan out yet.

Also, I want new Darkstalkers remixes by Tetsuya Shibata (the OG composer), so a bit more bias from me,
One of Capcom's most prominent characters? Please. Capcom clearly doesn't give a **** about her. I can think of at least five Capcom characters more prominent than her.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Capcom does have a lot to work with, but RE is a monster. It's pretty huge. It's got a palpable presence worldwide (Japan is big on it too). By far Capcom's most lucrative series, it's sold around the same as Zelda and is the biggest remaining Japanese IP. Sales aren't everything, sure, but it shows the size of series' audience. And, to boot, it's had a strong history on Nintendo systems.

It getting representation makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
To play devil's advocate: why Bethesda? If it comes to all-new companies, I think Koei Tecmo and Ubisoft would take precedence, since they already have content in Ultimate (as in, it could potentially be easier to negotiate with them). When it comes to those who don't, there's at least Level-5 and SNK to consider.

So why Bethesda specifically? I've just seen you talk a lot about them and I'm curious.
Bethesda has been heavily associated with Nintendo lately. Also, Pete Hines outright commented that Nintendo talked with Bethesda about Smash.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Neither did Joker prior to his reveal. Joker was a sleeper pick, where people were not necessarily asking for him but people were chill with him.
Joker didn't lack relevance or popularity, people didn't think he would get in because he's a Playstation character.

Besides, P5 is Atlus's biggest game. With Capcom, Morrigan competes with Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, DMC, Ace Attorney...

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
One of Capcom's most prominent characters? Please. Capcom clearly doesn't give a **** about her. I can think of at least five Capcom characters more prominent than her.
She does appear in basically every Capcom crossover ever. That is something.

That being said she is outclassed by Resident Evil and Phoenix, but she ain't trash tier. I can see it, but it ain't something I would bet on.

Joker didn't lack relevance or popularity, people didn't think he would get in because he's a Playstation character.

Besides, P5 is Atlus's biggest game. With Capcom, Morrigan competes with Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, DMC, Ace Attorney...
I never said he did not lack relevance. I said he was not a super high demand Smash character prior to his reveal. The Joker support thread here was tiny, less than 10 pages at the time (I believe around 5 pages when he was confirmed).

Also Atlus is a subsidiary company of Sega. I would argue that financially Yakuza, Puyo Puyo, Phantasy Star (the MMOs are huge in Japan), and Virtua Fighter are arguably bigger than Persona. And this is coming from a Persona fan

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Already mentioned four of them myself.

Besides, I'm not sure if there really other prominent characters from Capcom. We could say Phoenix Wright, which I don't have any objections against; Chris and Jill, which I'll admit I forgot about; then there's the Hunter, but we don't know if MH's creators are now fine with their inclusion. Besides them, I don't see other prominent Capcom characters.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Bethesda has been heavily associated with Nintendo lately. Also, Pete Hines outright commented that Nintendo talked with Bethesda about Smash.
I mean, I'm pretty sure a lot of companies talked with Nintendo in regards to Smash.
I think Nintendo commented on that themselves if I recall.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Besides, I'm not sure if there really other prominent characters from Capcom. We could say Phoenix Wright, which I don't have any objections against; Chris and Jill, which I'll admit I forgot about; then there's the Hunter, but we don't know if MH's creators are now fine with their inclusion. Besides them, I don't see other prominent Capcom characters.
There's also Dante, who was outright deconfirmed, and Amaterasu, who went from a flop that bankrupted her creators to a fan favorite.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I dunno... the other companies I've talked about have been associated with Nintendo and supported their consoles for a lot longer, so that argument could apply to anyone, really. In particular, Tecmo, Ubi and Level-5 have supported Nintendo for a looooong time.

The thing with Pete Hines is... weird. It's literally an "Oh yeah." during an interview and nothing else. I doubt it means much, sounds too tongue-in-cheek. If that counts as something, then so would the interview with the DoA director about which characters he'd like to see in Smash.

Not to mention that if it actually meant something, it would potentially be bad for Bethesda if Pete Hines confirmed anything, wouldn't it?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

That being said she is outclassed by Resident Evil and Phoenix, but she ain't trash tier. I can see it, but it ain't something I would bet on.
Captain Falcon is in every Smash game, that doesn't make him one of Nintendo's most prominent characters.

Considering the sheer amount of Capcom characters that would likely have to get in Smash before her, yeah, her chances are trash tier. Unless Capcom revives Darkstalkers, she has about as good a chance as Rad Spencer.

Aside from the four you mentioned, Phoenix Wright, the Resident Evil trio, Monster Hunter, Amaterasu and even Viewtiful Joe have a better shot than Morrigan.

And that's... Quite a lot. I think it's safe to say we're not getting 9 Capcom characters.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I do have a hard time thinking Nintendo would care about her though, they're the ones who made the list.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I dunno... the other companies I've talked about have been associated with Nintendo and supported their consoles for a lot longer, so that argument could apply to anyone, really. In particular, Tecmo, Ubi and Level-5 have supported Nintendo for a looooong time.

The thing with Pete Hines is... weird. It's literally an "Oh yeah." during an interview and nothing else. I doubt it means much, sounds too tongue-in-cheek. If that counts as something, then so would the interview with the DoA director about which characters he'd like to see in Smash.

Not to mention that if it actually meant something, it would potentially be bad for Bethesda if Pete Hines confirmed anything, wouldn't it?
We could get a character from Ubisoft, Koei Tecmo, or Level 5, but I don't know. The only likely choices for these companies are Ezio (and Rayman is spirits don't deconfirm, which I believe), Ryu Hayabusa, and Professor Layton respectively.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Whilst I think Capcom would be over represented if they got another fighter, it doesn't change the fact that the top ten best selling non-Nintendo franchises to originate from Japan are:

1. Final Fantasy
2. Sonic
3. Resident Evil
4. Dragon Quest
5. Monster Hunter
6. Metal Gear
7. Tekken
8. Pac-Man
9. Street Fighter
10. Mega Man

The three franchises currently not on the roster all have close ties to Nintendo, and would all be a big deal. But only one of them currently has zero representation in the series, and that's Resident Evil. I don't think it's my favourite outcome, but it's also far from being unlikely.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Captain Falcon is in every Smash game, that doesn't make him one of Nintendo's most prominent characters.

Considering the sheer amount of Capcom characters that would likely have to get in Smash before her, yeah, her chances are trash tier. Unless Capcom revives Darkstalkers, she has about as good a chance as Rad Spencer.
I am not saying she is likely, just far from trash tier.

Captain Falcon might not be the face of Nintendo, but people have an idea of who he is. Because of Smash. THe same thing happens with all the Capcom crossovers that Morrigan has been in, albeit to a much lesser extent.

That being said I think the whole "female fighting game character" leak is dumb and will be wrong.

I do have a hard time thinking Nintendo would care about her though, they're the ones who made the list.
I mean the list was what, 30 characters long? If we assume they all are third parties, I would guess that she could have made it. Especially if they said only one franchise on there (like having all the DQ characters be under DQ for example).

Keep in mind I think she is unlikely. I would give her a 10% Chance at best. But she is not trash tier.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I am not saying she is likely, just far from trash tier.

Captain Falcon might not be the face of Nintendo, but people have an idea of who he is. Because of Smash. THe same thing happens with all the Capcom crossovers that Morrigan has been in, albeit to a much lesser extent.

That being said I think the whole "female fighting game character" leak is dumb and will be wrong.

I mean the list was what, 30 characters long? If we assume they all are third parties, I would guess that she could have made it. Especially if they said only one franchise on there (like having all the DQ characters be under DQ for example).

Keep in mind I think she is unlikely. I would give her a 10% Chance at best. But she is not trash tier.
If there was a list of characters that was only 30 characters long I guarantee you she wasn't on it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Popularity isn't everything when it comes to Smash characters. The quality of their movesets also matter.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Whilst I think Capcom would be over represented if they got another fighter, it doesn't change the fact that the top ten best selling non-Nintendo franchises to originate from Japan are:

1. Final Fantasy
2. Sonic
3. Resident Evil
4. Dragon Quest
5. Monster Hunter
6. Metal Gear
7. Tekken
8. Pac-Man
9. Street Fighter
10. Mega Man

The three franchises currently not on the roster all have close ties to Nintendo, and would all be a big deal. But only one of them currently has zero representation in the series, and that's Resident Evil. I don't think it's my favourite outcome, but it's also far from being unlikely.
Three? Did you count Monster Hunter? Because it already has content in Smash, even if it's not a playable character.

That would leave just Resident Evil and Tekken.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Popularity isn't everything when it comes to Smash characters. The quality of their movesets also matter.
But that's a nebuluous and meaningless measure.

Everyone has moveset potential.
Everyone can do something no one else can.

And if they can all do that then there's nothing making someone more or less likely.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Aside from the four you mentioned, Phoenix Wright, the Resident Evil trio, Monster Hunter, Amaterasu and even Viewtiful Joe have a better shot than Morrigan.

And that's... Quite a lot. I think it's safe to say we're not getting 9 Capcom characters.
Well, since I already talked three of those, I'm just gonna cover Ammy and Joe. The former had a re-release, but that's about it, not really any more than Morrigan popping up in PxZ and MvCI; and Joe has rumours of a third entry, but unless Nintendo really looked into future games when giving Sakurai that list of characters (not counting DQXI because said game has been in development since the Switch was still addressed as NX), I wouldn't consider him to have a better shot in Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Three? Did you count Monster Hunter? Because it already has content in Smash, even if it's not a playable character.

Tekken had a Mii Fighter costume and a cameo in Pac Man's taunt.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

Three not on the roster. But Monster Hunter and Tekken have content in the game, even if its just a sprite of Heihachi

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Three not on the roster. But Monster Hunter and Tekken have content in the game, even if its just a sprite of Heihachi
Oooh, yeah, forgot about that.

Hey, my last post gave me another interpretation on that japanese leak: what if it actually was "a female character" and "a fighting game character"? Two separate things? Maybe that also makes sense?

And before anyone asks, no, I don't trust that leak to be 100% right, but I think it's interesting, at least.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, since I already talked three of those, I'm just gonna cover Ammy and Joe. The former had a re-release, but that's about it, not really any more than Morrigan popping up in PxZ and MvCI; and Joe has rumours of a third entry, but unless Nintendo really looked into future games when giving Sakurai that list of characters (not counting DQXI because said game has been in development since the Switch was still addressed as NX), I wouldn't consider him to have a better shot in Smash.
I'd say Okami getting a port is much more meaningful than an appearance in those games, but regardless the main strength those those characters have over Morrigan Is popularity. They have demand. They perform in polls. Unless Morrigan manages to amass that kind of fandom - and I find it weird that she didn't given Darkstalkers' cult audience - she's way back in line as far as Smash goes.

D

Deleted member

I'm just hoping Microsoft isn't the only new company being included to Smash. While I'm fine with Bandai Namco getting another character since Pac-Man is their only character in Smash, Capcom's already got a good amount of characters (Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken) and franchises (Mega Man, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter) represented in Smash. While they have some of the most successful IPs in the world, I think there's enough Capcom content in Smash as is, and I hope for another company to bring their own character to the roster like Bethesda, Koei-Tecmo, Level-5, SNK, etc.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm personally really hoping for Level-5 to be getting some content. Koei Tecmo getting a playable character would be nice too. I think their more or less the only two notable Japanese third parties left that don't have any characters yet other than the likes of Natsume and whatnot. (Unless you count the DQ VIII Hero for Level-5 but it doesn't seem like even they really acknowledge his inclusion, nor where they credited for him either, I think their waiting for a character they actually own to make it in rather than one they just made for Square Enix to own.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would say that due to the amount of franchises that they have across different genres, it wouldn't surprise me if we get another pick from Capcom. A few of their franchises would be new genres represented like Survival Horror with RE (closest is Castlevania which is Platforming/Metroidvania with classic horror elements) or Visual Novel with Phoenix Wright.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I’m still betting Monster Hunter or Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine and Heihachi or Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell as the last two reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom