• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If the rumour about Jill is true I don't think Capcom is the problem, maybe during negotiations Sakurai didn't saw easy to translate Jill into Smash (which honestly I find hard to believe) and decided to pick another franchise. Or maybe it was Nintendo fault for some reason.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I have a buddy of mine who really likes the series Arle comes from I can't stand the games but him being happy would make me happy let's get Arle in here

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm on team "We won't know until closer to Terry's release. Although I'm a huge Arle and KOS-MOS supporter (absolute win), I don't believe any of these leaks."

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I'll take KOS-MOS of the two, but I'm honestly not buying into any leaks, so 'eh'.

It's probably going to wind up being something out of left field. Mimi and Nyami from Pop'n Music, or one of the Arthurs from Million Arthur or something.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Don’t really have anything to add to the discussion but I’ve enjoyed playing Puyo Puyo on the Switch online SNES game collection. It’s all in Japanese, but since it’s a puzzle game you really don’t need to be able to read.

D

Deleted member

If the rumour about Jill is true I don't think Capcom is the problem, maybe during negotiations Sakurai didn't saw easy to translate Jill into Smash (which honestly I find hard to believe) and decided to pick another franchise. Or maybe it was Nintendo fault for some reason.
Frankly I would say that IGC is pretty much saying BS at this point.

Jill not to translating well into smash would be if the ratings boards being extremely picky with RE content being in the game, but given that there is speculation still ongoing for Ryu H. and Doomguy I really doubt its the case unless the later 2 were thrown out as well.

Alternatively if the issue is the legal conflict between Capcom and Koei, I still don't think Capcom would loss a chance to male money.

Only reason I could see Jill or any RE not being in the pass is that another Capcom character was selected instead.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
...if Nintendo had a list of potential DLC characters, did this mean they already did all the negotiations before development on their characters even started? So there's some companies who were totally onboard and ended up being left out anyways?

osby

Smash Obsessed
...if Nintendo had a list of potential DLC characters, did this mean they already did all the negotiations before development on their characters even started? So there's some companies who were totally onboard and ended up being left out anyways?
You don't need to negotiate beforehand to know which characters are plausible, though.

A hypothetical list consisting of characters that they can reasonably ask from their owners feels more likely.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ah yes, and so the femme fatales of gaming face each other to see who claims the 5th Fighters Pass Super Smash Bros. Ultimate invitation.

Lara Croft, Arle Nadja, KOS-MOS, Jill Valentine, Morrigan Aensland, 2B, Shantae, Estelle Bright, Tracer, Reimu Hakurei, Marina Liteyears, and Aloy will engage in a fierce free-for-all match [Big Battlefield, 3 Stock, 7:00, No items, FS Meter Off] to determine the one worthy for the spot.

Ready...

GO!

KatKit

Smash Lord
And now for something completely different.

If we believe Smash wants to expand, we really shouldn't ignore the elephant in the room: Fortnite. I've never played it, and I know why it's looked down upon by others, but it can offer a lot. A shooter that can build stuff is an interesting concept. Although I don't care about the game, I'd for sure try it out in Smash.

Okay, Kat, but that Jonesy guy looks wack to me. I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I think they'd give a Fortnite character the Bowser Jr. treatment. The game puts a lot of emphasis on skins, so throw 7 different popular characters. Chances are, one of them might click. I know so little about these characters, but I do know that Adria Arjona voiced Ramirez, so Smash would pretty much have its first playable Puerto Rican character (let me have this, darn it!).

There are people who legit want this. Then there are people who jokingly want it. Then there are people who are willing to try it out. Then there are people who'd be willing to try Smash out. Let's go.

Also, that one fake song that was posted way back got me sold on the concept. I'd be completely fine if it doesn't happen, but sure, why not?

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I’m on Team Neither are confirmed until we get more credible information on who’s fighter 5.

That said I pick Arle, she’s a character I’m completely ok with.

I don’t like KOS-MOS design and there’s better Namco choices in my opinion and speaking of which holy **** y’all are sleeping on Agumon.

Last edited:

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord

If we believe Smash wants to expand, we really shouldn't ignore the elephant in the room: Fortnite. I've never played it, and I know why it's looked down upon by others, but it can offer a lot. A shooter that can build stuff is an interesting concept. Although I don't care about the game, I'd for sure try it out in Smash.

Okay, Kat, but that Jonesy guy looks wack to me. I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I think they'd give a Fortnight character the Bowser Jr. treatment. The game puts a lot of emphasis on skins, so throw 7 different popular characters. Chances are, one of them might click. I know so little about these characters, but I do know that Adria Arjona voiced Ramirez, so Smash would pretty much have its first playable Puerto Rican character (let me have this, darn it!).

There are people who legit want this. Then there are people who jokingly want it. Then there are people who are willing to try it out. Then there are people who'd be willing to try Smash out. Let's go.

Also, that one fake song that was posted way back got me sold on the concept. I'd be completely fine if it doesn't happen, but sure, why not?
I agree that Fortnite's become big enough to maybe be represented in Smash. Reggie even spent like a minute on it last year at E3 and that's a meme. However, I think Fortnite doesn't really need a fighter to represent it. Spirits and Mii Fighter costumes I do support though. Wouldn't wait to see the Fortnite tomato in every match online.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we believe Smash wants to expand, we really shouldn't ignore the elephant in the room: Fortnite.
Keep in mind that they seem to be expanding using characters for demographics that are more specific than "all the normies". Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten most of the FP characters.

D

Deleted member

Okay, Kat, but that Jonesy guy looks wack to me. I wholeheartedly agree. Which is why I think they'd give a Fortnite character the Bowser Jr. treatment. The game puts a lot of emphasis on skins, so throw 7 different popular characters. Chances are, one of them might click. I know so little about these characters, but I do know that Adria Arjona voiced Ramirez, so Smash would pretty much have its first playable Puerto Rican character (let me have this, darn it!).

I think if Smash wanted to really expand, they would have put Minecraft in over Banjo. Don't think Jonesy is likely outside of notoriety at this point.

I'm not too big on Fortnite because I'm not a big battle royale dude, but whatever gets the default dance in Smash is fine for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If we're gonna entertain this rumor and assume it's true, then I can see it meaning that another Resident Evil character was chosen instead of Jill. Perhaps Jill and Leon were being discussed neck and neck until they finally decided on Leon. I doubt the idea that Nintendo picked Resident Evil to be part of the fighters pass and then changed their mind for another franchise in the last second.

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice

If they were going to stick in a character that's from a popular game just for the sake of the game being popular, then I'd have to say Steve/Minecraft would probably come first. Minecraft would fill the same purpose of being a meme pick, popular game among the youth, add building mechanics, and be able to represent both males/females with Steve/Alex.

The only thing I could see Fortnite having on Minecraft is being a battle royal rep but my personal bias would prefer a lego/creative western indie rep to be added to the game before Epic's game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
y'all really arguing on the next 3rd party not realizing that the game was already rigged from the start

also this remix is fire

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I think if Smash wanted to really expand, they would have put Minecraft in over Banjo. Don't think Jonesy is likely outside of notoriety at this point.

I'm not too big on Fortnite because I'm not a big battle royale dude, but whatever gets the default dance in Smash is fine for me.
If you simply want to include it due to significance and 'covering bases', then that's one thing, but there are a lot of options that hit those marks.

If you're looking in terms of playerbase expansion, the question is, how much of that playerbase would actually care? I'm sure you would catch some peoples' eyes (particularly those who had gotten into and then out of the game, and have some nostalgia for it), and you'd get some press simply for the addition, but I imagine a huge amount of the playerbase simply won't be enticed, since you're not actually giving them what makes the game appealing to them. Minecraft, like many mobile games, caught a massive audience specifically due to the nature of the game, and there is a large crowd that focuses (or focused) almost exclusively on it. I don't think Steve is going to be enough to get them to go out and get a new game that doesn't offer the same style of gameplay.

I may be wrong, but it just feels like trying to entice the casual Wii audience into buying hardcore games by adding Miis into them.

Same goes for something like Fortnite/PUBG, albeit to a lesser extent.

If you want to expand the playerbase, I'd say look at which genres and demographics spend the most on merchandise and peripherals, since that tells you they're invested beyond just the game itself. Or simply look at genres that thrive based on the strength of the characters and world-building rather than the gameplay, since fans of these games are more likely to follow the characters wherever they may go.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Which team are you guys on?

Team Arle or Team KOS-MOS?

I'm Team KOS-MOS!
I don't see any of them happening tbh, though of the two I'm definitely Team Arle. I love Puyo Puyo Tetris and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (AKA Puyo Puyo 1) was one of my favorite games as a kid.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Power Dunk should be up-tilt, IMO.
Actually, Power Dunk could be incorporated into Side B. True that in the brief glimpse of Terry we got back in 9/4, Burn Knuckle looked like his Side B, but what if Sakurai makes his Side B behave differently depending on Terry's positioning (on ground = Burn Knuckle; on air = Power Dunk)? Bayonetta's Side B also varies depending if its performed on the ground, or in the air.:seuss:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom