• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edink

Smash Cadet
I’m sorry, but I realllllllyy hope it isn’t Kosmos! I literally only knew banjo and got hyped for joker cause I wanna play Persona 5, I know it’s silly, but I hope it’s not kosmos
If I'm being honest I don't think is gonna be kos-mos, I mean, is from Xenosaga and Sakurai specifically said that he would like to introduce new worlds to Smash.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If I'm being honest I don't think is gonna be kos-mos, I mean, is from Xenosaga and Sakurai specifically said that he would like to introduce new worlds to Smash.
Xenosaga and Xenoblade are different franchises, though (that take place in different universes).

By your logic, we shouldn't have got Banjo because of Diddy Kong Racing.

Edink

Smash Cadet
Xenosaga and Xenoblade are different franchises, though (that take place in different universes).

By your logic, we shouldn't have got Banjo because of Diddy Kong Racing.
I don't gonna lie, I see your point and I kinda think you are right, but idk, Banjo evolved into his own thing while Kos-Mos is more tied to Xenoblade.

But I gotta say, I'm not so into Xenoblade so probably I'm wrong.
Hopefully is a surprise that no one saw coming.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
One thing to consider if they're supposedly going for new audiences with the DLC packs, so there's no point picking something that's either doubling up on an already present demographic or something that won't bring in a new and sizable demographic.

>Joker: liked both overseas and Japan, anime/other spin-offs help exposure, "pop JRPG"/non-gamer appeal (that sounds kind of ridiculous but plenty of people consider themselves Persona fans and haven't ever played P3/4/5)
>Hero: cultural icon so he crosses age boundaries, also serves the purpose of promoting SE's stuff
>Banjo: imo doesn't bring much new, even if I love 'em. Older Western fans? Just a general crowd pleaser?
>Terry: huge arcade history, FGC representation, reasonably popular in Mexico/China from what I've heard

They could go for age demographics, genres, regions, etc. I don't think a character like Kosmos (known more for crossovers than her own series) or Tales (another RPG?) or even Touhou (another Japanese cultural phenomenon) necessarily covers anything not already there. Capcom have a few viable contenders assuming RE/DMC/MonHun fans aren't already in Smash because of Ryu/MegaMan. A big Western company could attract a lot of attention (Rockstar, Bethesda, Blizzard, Valve) but we already know dealing with overseas companies adds a layer of complexity to negotiations.

The demographic might end up being a total curveball (like "new Nintendo pick" to attract younger gamers, or something totally bizarre like "Wii U fans who haven't migrated over yet") but it'll make sense in retrospect when considered this way.

tl;dr fighter 5 will get vaguely defined groups of people to open their wallets

D

Deleted member

Idk, dreaming is free so... PLEASE Jill mygod, is a horror genre rep and it's a female (I'm sorry but i'm kinda tired of no f representation) ALSO HALLOWEEN TIME. :169:
This is what I was discussing for!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I don't gonna lie, I see your point and I kinda think you are right, but idk, Banjo evolved into his own thing while Kos-Mos is more tied to Xenoblade.

But I gotta say, I'm not so into Xenoblade so probably I'm wrong.
Hopefully is a surprise that no one saw coming.
KOS-MOS has been around since way before Xenoblade even was a thing, mate. Her appearance in Xenoblade 2 is really more of a crossover cameo than anything else.

D

Deleted member

KOS-MOS has been around since way before Xenoblade even was a thing, mate. Her appearance in Xenoblade 2 is really more of a crossover cameo than anything else.
Well, she does have her own arc in the game so...

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
One thing to consider if they're supposedly going for new audiences with the DLC packs, so there's no point picking something that's either doubling up on an already present demographic or something that won't bring in a new and sizable demographic.

>Joker: liked both overseas and Japan, anime/other spin-offs help exposure, "pop JRPG"/non-gamer appeal (that sounds kind of ridiculous but plenty of people consider themselves Persona fans and haven't ever played P3/4/5)
>Hero: cultural icon so he crosses age boundaries, also serves the purpose of promoting SE's stuff
>Banjo: imo doesn't bring much new, even if I love 'em. Older Western fans? Just a general crowd pleaser?
>Terry: huge arcade history, FGC representation, reasonably popular in Mexico/China from what I've heard

They could go for age demographics, genres, regions, etc. I don't think a character like Kosmos (known more for crossovers than her own series) or Tales (another RPG?) or even Touhou (another Japanese cultural phenomenon) necessarily covers anything not already there. Capcom have a few viable contenders assuming RE/DMC/MonHun fans aren't already in Smash because of Ryu/MegaMan. A big Western company could attract a lot of attention (Rockstar, Bethesda, Blizzard, Valve) but we already know dealing with overseas companies adds a layer of complexity to negotiations.

The demographic might end up being a total curveball (like "new Nintendo pick" to attract younger gamers, or something totally bizarre like "Wii U fans who haven't migrated over yet") but it'll make sense in retrospect when considered this way.

tl;dr fighter 5 will get vaguely defined groups of people to open their wallets
Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton for female and european demographics.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
This was kind of my thought for how they might approach things as well, but to dismiss KOS-MOS and Touhou representation is to dismiss the weeb/waifu-game market, and that's a powerful mistake. There are better series to specifically target that group (Senran Kagura, Neptunia, Kancolle, FATE, any idol series, etc.) and there is major crossover into other demographics if do you run with Xenosaga or Touhou (as there is clearly more to those series than just the waifu factor), but the point is that there is a very large potential group of customers you'd hit with those characters.

The other major thing to consider is how likely a demographic is to throw money at something aimed at their demographic. Minecraft is huge, for instance, but I really don't believe that the majority of its audience would really bat an eye at Steve coming to Smash, specifically because of their gaming habits and because of the particular reasons they do like that game. On the other side of things. while whales do account for much of it, the amount of money the waifu market brings in on merchandise should tell you how willing they are to throw down on things.

Last edited:

Edink

Smash Cadet
Yeah, yeah, If we get more specific you are right, but to the general public, thinking of Kos-Mos is like " Oh yeah, that character from the Xenoblade franchise ". At least to the people that I talked about it. I don't think Kos-Mos is a bad addition honestly, I think is great, but I'm just talking about what I guess they're trying to go for.

But I don't know, in the other hand I think some people are dramatizing the situation, yeah, nobody is asking for first party inclusions, but that's because S said to expect new worlds. If Sakurai hadn't said that, ****, Skull Kid and Impa bros to the hype train again, but that's not gonna happen for the moment, maybe for the second dlc pack If they do it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Anyone know who'd be a pick for Oceanic demographics (Papua New Guinea, Australia, Polynesian Islands and New Zealand)?

D

Deleted member

This was kind of my thought for how they might approach things as well, but to dismiss KOS-MOS and Touhou representation is to dismiss the weeb/waifu-game market, and that's a powerful mistake. There are better series to specifically target that group (Senran Kagura, Neptunia, Kancolle, FATE, any idol series, etc.) and there is major crossover into other demographics if do you run with Xenosaga or Touhou (as there is clearly more to those series), but the point is that there is a very large potential group of customers you'd hit with those characters
Yeah. You have a looottt of dudes in that demographic so you would want to cater to them as well.

Edink

Smash Cadet
If you can switch between Phoenix and Maya I'll take it, but honestly, those games are not female representation (especially if you say it because you think that females are the target for that games, which is not) . And for the European matter, idk, I know it's not possible but I'm thinking more of Rayman?

Idk but Phoenix and Maya sounds like a great idea and Phoenix Wright is an amazing saga.

D

Deleted member

Since I love thinking in advance, I expect the reactions in the board post-supposed Direct to be either "paging Lesley Black Velvet" or "sorry Lesley".

I think "need" is a strong word, but it would be a welcome change of pace.
Not only is it a welcome change of pace, it also allows women to get a character they can easily identify with.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this point given how spot-on this anonymous leaker has been with his/her predictions. I'm joining the train of KOS-MOS being the fifth DLC fighter until otherwise once Vergeben speaks out.

D

Deleted member

At this point given how spot-on this anonymous leaker has been with his/her predictions. I'm joining the train of KOS-MOS being the fifth DLC fighter until otherwise once Vergeben speaks out.
Did I mention that I stopped watching Trinity Seven just to watch Xenosaga the Animation in hopes that she does get in?

Advance ako mag-isip

Edink

Smash Cadet
Hopefully is a surprise, I feel bad every time something leaks because I know that the Smash Team tries to avoid those leaks as much as they can : (

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
The KOS-MOS thing was a prediction, not a leak, as stated by the person themself. If you mean the drunk cat leaker then I believe that was already debunked via checking the embedded code on 4chan and seeing the posts made by different people IIRC. The only leaks we have ATM is Hayabusha/Crash not being FP5, Geno being thrown around, and Reimu with the text music leak + potentially the AoTC leak (up in the air until someone with image compression knowledge can confirm the legitimacy).

Edit: If you want to reach extra deep, KOS-MOS did get put front and center for the recent anniversary convention which increase chances. There’s also Bethesda discussing about getting a character in Smash earlier this year (or was it last?), Doom musician looking for singers for non-D:E related Doom music, and Tales Of getting a suspicious copyright on a Save Icon.

Edit2: IGC mentioned she heard that there was discussions of getting Jill Valentine in Smash but potentially fell flat back in March, which people think is odd since Capcom is pretty easy going with IP sharing. Also GameXplain, which reliable teased multiple characters (including B&K) has been throwing Arle’s mane around as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hopefully is a surprise, I feel bad every time something leaks because I know that the Smash Team tries to avoid those leaks as much as they can : (
See this was why I was against leaks in the first place. And this is why I didn't join this board in the first place because this is where all the destoryers of hype live. Then I realized that I need to voice out my opinion so I joined up.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So KOS-MOS has been the results of predictions that were good guesses?

Well let's see if we have a new nostradamus on our hands

D

Deleted member

See this was why I was against leaks in the first place. And this is why I didn't join this board in the first place because this is where all the destoryers of hype live. Then I realized that I need to voice out my opinion so I joined up.
**** can be hype even if you know what to expect ahead of time. You should have saw the site after Banjo and Hero got revealed.

D

Deleted member

So KOS-MOS has been the results of predictions that were good guesses?

Well let's see if we have a new nostradamus on our hands
He can predict the next newcomer to join the battle ... but he can't predict when corrupt politicians leave our country for good. Nah jk.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
I kinda preferred if they went the route Sakurai wanted and was just upfront on all 5 fighters when the FP was announced. Then no worries about leaks until things get started on FP#2 or post-FP.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If anyone's seen PapaGenos recent video regarding KOS-MOS there's also good possibility of Arle being DLC fighter 5. Like KOS-MOS that's more of an prediction then a leak.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Okay...but...y'know, we need an umm...female rep, right? Not trying to discuss, just saying.
Katrielle. Problem solved.

Although I still think the biggest (realistic) demographic shifts would be a farm simulator like Harvest Moon, a dancing game rep like Just Dance although Dance Central is better, and if we're talking 1st party: Style Savvy.

Last edited:
A lot of people on the other side were going "I told you so" and kicking those people who were hopeful, though. Yeah, the thing was debunked before the direct, but a lot of people didn't even really care about the leak as much as they wanted Isaac or Shadow. Then all those characters were revealed as assist trophies and those people got the double whammy of disconfirmations and others telling them they were stupid for hoping.
Yeah, the pro-Grinch side did largely suck, but it's not like the anti-Grinch side was much less toxic. Like, it's crazy how (not neccesarily on this site, but I saw some of that **** here too) people remember all the worst parts of pro-Grinch speculation, but then ignore the fact that pretty much everything they did, the anti-Grinch side did too, even if they ended up correct in the end. They really weren't any better (maybe even worse TBH, as you said, much of them said horrible things to people whose most wanted got deconfirmed) Least in my experience anyways.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
(especially if you say it because you think that females are the target for that games, which is not)
Yes they are, at least for the Layton series. Hershel's character as well as the overall atmosphere of his his games where pretty much designed to appeal to a female audience. That's why his series is so popular with them.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I wonder if the Tetris Spirits are any hint of Arle being DLC fighter 5. It won't surprise me if datamining is done over the Spirits and we get some insider on it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Katrielle. Problem solved.

Although I still think the biggest (realistic) demographic shifts would be a farm simulator like Harvest Moon, a dancing game rep like Just Dance although Dance Central is better, and if we're talking 1st party: Style Savvy.
A guest fighter from a non-violent franchise would be very unique, that's for sure.

I think that's a big part of Phoenix Wright's appeal, even though he appeared in a fighting game before.

D

Deleted member

I wonder if the Tetris Spirits are any hint of Arle being DLC fighter 5. It won't surprise me if datamining is done over the Spirits and we get some insider on it.
Hmm...one of the most recognizable puzzle games and a puzzle game icon? Sounds good to me!

D

Deleted member

A guest fighter from a non-violent franchise would be very unique, that's for sure.

I think that's a big part of Phoenix Wright's appeal, even though he appeared in a fighting game before.
But Phoenix Wright didn't fight in UMVC3. He just defended his clients like in any ol' courtroom debate.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So the census seems to be KOS-MOS or Arle huh?

Tbh I’m fine with either but we really need someone to back up a character soon.

(Also can I note how discussion does characters has drastically shifted from several characters and now it’s on two characters no one was talking about previously?)

D

Deleted member

Tbh I’m fine with either but we really need someone to back up a character soon.

(Also can I note how discussion does characters has drastically shifted from several characters and now it’s on two characters no one was talking about previously?)
Who is Arle?

D

Deleted member

Dunno, since it's all fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom