• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
The Banjo vs Steve wars weren’t as bad as World Grinch War III lol.

The only difference is that the Grinch Leak debates only lasted a half of a month while Steve and Banjo went on for months and month.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Late response cause I was at work but as much as I love everything Xeno I dont think any of the characters come close to KOS-MOS. She is their mother so to speak. Fiora, Elma, Pyra, Mythra, etc are all inspired by KOS-MOS and have similar traits and plot. KOS-MOS can bring any weapon out of her arsenal into smash. She's capable of wielding drills, hammers, swords, gattling guns, lasers, bows, pistols, and she has amazing flashy combos. She's an incredibly exciting choice for smash also because Monolith Soft and Namco have a amazing relationship and she would be the ultimate loveletter to Monolith Soft. They even had her on the front of their 20th Anniversary Artwork. KOS-MOS is the symbol of Xeno in general and is going to be loved for Eternity by Monolith Soft. She's also female and we desperately need more female characters. KOS-MOS, imo would seal the deal with the first fighter pass and become the dlc fighter with the most tools in her arsenal and combine playstyles. Example: Hero is a mage sword fighter, Joker is a dagger user with some magic, and Banjo is a fist fighter while Terry is a fast rushdown character with blinding speed. Think of it like KOS-MOS can do A LOT for one character.

KOS-MOS is iconic for Namco and people recognize her from crossovers more than her own series Xenosaga. Xenosaga episode 1 and 3 were amazing but II is what struggled and ultimately put the series to be rushed out because of its bad choices such as removal of voice actors and battle system stuff. If KOS-MOS were to come to smash then we can likely see Xenosaga evolve and be given a chance especially after all the wonderful things Takahashi and his team have learned from Xenoblade. While her series is not well known, KOS-MOS has tons of figurines that sold well and even became the first character alongside main characters Pyra and Mythra to get expensive figurines. It's kinda a big deal and was even shown off at the Nintendo booth at WonFest even though shes's not entirely Nintendo. Nintendo knows people likely recognize her as the most aggravating blade to pull in Xenoblade 2 and that, imo makes her so popular in the fanbase. Everyone posts about not pulling her, etc. So in essence, KOS-MOS is a queen for Monolith and Namco and there's really no excuse to NOT have her in smash after she's crossed over with Fiora in Project X Zone 2 and tons of other characters. She's in tons of stuff and I mean TONS. Her Refrain version (KOS-MOS Re) was even so popular that it allowed T-ELOS to be revitalized into Xeno lore as T-ELOS Re as a gift from Takahashi for completing the game. She was even designed by CHOCO again who also designed KOS-MOS and T-ELOS in Xenosaga. Furthermore, KOS-MOS and T-ELOS have had promotional artwork from Torna the Golden Country.

As you can see, they are together floating above the world tree! Some Xeno theorists such as myself even believe the Alrest artbook shows evidence that KOS-MOS in XB2 is KOS-MOS from Xenosaga!

That's just a sample of what she can do though! I'm not kidding about her abilities. She can conjure guns, scythes, drills, hammers, swords, she's just super badass.

Even though we are debating if this leak is even real and it turns out not to be... I hope more people will still support her :)
I appreciate the willpower done to write this. good job!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Perhaps the same could be said of all gaming communities.
Gaming communities? You steal roster slots and make them your faves!
That is not true, pretty much EVERY insider discarded the leak immediately. Only dude that backed it was Papagenos who let's be honest, he is awful at making assumptions.
Oh god now I remember where I got yhe 'El Grande Padre' stuff for him cause everyone kept kissing his feet saying he was the only person to be right because he was saying Banjo and Geno were in. Remember how they all claimed Incineroar was leakbait and they all had the exact same source except Big Papa who is absolutely right

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

The only difference is that the Grinch Leak debates only lasted a half of a month while Steve and Banjo went on for months and month.
And that is part of why they were much worse for me than Grinch.

Not to mention all the people flinging crap while pretending all Steve fans were horrible or trolls or as if Steve is unpopular.

Well, jokes on them, and anyone who hated on Banjo, ‘cause Steve is very popular and his fans aren’t frickin trolls or meme-ing, and Banjo is in (I was honestly only aware of there being some immature fans who hated on Banjo, while seeing some polite fans simply saying they just preferred Steve (or avoid Banjo stuff altogether or didn’t mind him or liked him as well) before getting hated on despite their politeness. I’m not counting the stupid 4chan trolls, no one should have paid them any attention and I am disappointed they were actually used as an excuse. I am a fan of both characters, mind y’all).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At this point this is too much to comprehend, so I kinda wanna take a break to do some important work.

See ya guys later, I only have one class left before dismissal.

Man, what could possibly go...

"YO DID YOU HEAR THE NEWS?!"
"FIGHTER 5 IS FEMALE"
"WE GOT HER!"

WAIT, WHO IS IT?!? TELL ME!

"madame lesley its bowsette"

HOLY SHOOT THAT'S AWESO-wait what?

"nah, just kidding, go back to work"

Great, we're doing this again. When will DLC Fighter get released...fina, I'm going back to work.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Actually, the Grinch Leak only lasted about a week. It first started making waves one year ago on October 24th, then was promptly put to rest with the Smash Direct on November 1st.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Y'all had way worse experiences during the Grinch Leak than I had, that's for sure. I thought that was honestly one of the most interesting things to debate to be honest. Was it real? Was it fake? Did the guy work there? What was the printing company say? Was it possible to fake? Did the background match the artwork we'd found? Was it Skull Kid or Mach Rider's bike?

I tell ya, it was fascinating to watch. A lot of people turned out to be veritable sleuths and it was refreshing to see everyone band together to try to find out what they could about it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Y'all had way worse experiences during the Grinch Leak than I had, that's for sure. I thought that was honestly one of the most interesting things to debate to be honest. Was it real? Was it fake? Did the guy work there? What was the printing company say? Was it possible to fake? Did the background match the artwork we'd found? Was it Skull Kid or Mach Rider's bike?

I tell ya, it was fascinating to watch. A lot of people turned out to be veritable sleuths and it was refreshing to see everyone band together to try to find out what they could about it.
That is certainly not what happened, it was "OMG IT'S REAL THANK YOU SAKURAI!" Are you kidding that's 7 characters that doesn't make any sense "HAHA YOU'RE SALTY BECAUSE WE WON GET ****ED TOO BAD MAYBE INCINEROAR WILL BE DLC!" Literally everyone with inside info is saying it's fake "OH YEAH WELL A YOUTUBER WHO'S MOST WANTED CHARACTERS ARE GENO AND BANJO BELIEVES IT!" There's some stuff here that doesn't add up, why are we so eager to believe this? "BECAUSE IT'S OBVIOUSLY REAL KILL YOURSELF"

D

Deleted member

A lot of people on the other side were going "I told you so" and kicking those people who were hopeful, though. Yeah, the thing was debunked before the direct, but a lot of people didn't even really care about the leak as much as they wanted Isaac or Shadow. Then all those characters were revealed as assist trophies and those people got the double whammy of disconfirmations and others telling them they were stupid for hoping.
While its a shame that you got mocked overall its just a result of how worked up the fanbase can get on many things. And also let's not forget the people who ended up playing both sides just to **** on people like the many conflicts there are in the fanbase.
Okay, I can say the same toxicity crap in the Banjo vs. Steve stuff, likely minus death threats but yes those are horrible and stupid in any situation.

Let’s not get onto people for finding the Grinch fun personally; y’all certainly don’t seem to have gotten the same feelings of disgust, annoyance, and disappointment from the Banjo vs. Steve crap as I did. Grinch may have been horrible for y’all and yeah I remember some jerks too, and I know I would’ve been feeling the same way if I had experienced what y’all did, but come on. Of course I’m disappointed that there are people who hate you and send death threats to you over a videogame, a silly videogame “leak”, or whatever characters you want, and some other stuff, but still.
Overall my main issue with finding those events fun is that I can guarantee you that most likely there are people who look at Ugly Steve fondly, which I can guarantee you won't like.

It's not really a good idea in the long run to look at events like these fondly, many of these events tend to condone awful behavior when the community overall can be better.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
That is certainly not what happened, it was "OMG IT'S REAL THANK YOU SAKURAI!" Are you kidding that's 7 characters that doesn't make any sense "HAHA YOU'RE SALTY BECAUSE WE WON GET ****ED TOO BAD MAYBE INCINEROAR WILL BE DLC!" Literally everyone with inside info is saying it's fake "OH YEAH WELL A YOUTUBER WHO'S MOST WANTED CHARACTERS ARE GENO AND BANJO BELIEVES IT!" There's some stuff here that doesn't add up, why are we so eager to believe this? "BECAUSE IT'S OBVIOUSLY REAL KILL YOURSELF"
ooof i can taste the authenticity

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Definitely not how I remember it but ok

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
While its a shame that you got mocked overall its just a result of how worked up the fanbase can get on many things. And also let's not forget the people who ended up playing both sides just to **** on people like the many conflicts there are in the fanbase.

Overall my main issue with finding those events fun is that I can guarantee you that most likely there are people who look at Ugly Steve fondly, which I can guarantee you won't like.

It's not really a good idea in the long run to look at events like these fondly, many of these events tend to condone awful behavior when the community overall can be better.
Then let’s not let the Character vs. Character crap slip by, if anyone here actually cares since it seems no one else does.

The only people who remember Ugly Steve fondly are trolls or people who just found it funny and weren’t really involved in the first place (I found it funny, too, before people flung crap and blamed fans over it due to trolls, and people used it to make the real fans look bad; still wouldn’t have been attached to it like real Steve).

The Grinch speculation had a lot of jerks but at least it had civil discussion as well. I’m not condoning horrible people by having enjoyed the speculation or having found it exciting when I didn’t pay attention to all the jerks, but still didn’t like them either when I noticed them. We all have our own experiences.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Granted, I wasn't very active until recently, but my speculation experiences have been pretty chill. Although I spent most of my time in support threads that'd support virtually any representation of any kind.

Way back in the Smash 4 days, the creator of the old Style Savvy support thread managed to get almost 800 posts before it was closed... and they never even played the games, IIRC. I think only like 4 people in that entire discussion actually played them, but it still managed to get a boatload of support because conceptually it's just that unique and had (and still has) a lot going for it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Then let’s not let the Character vs. Character crap slip by, if anyone here actually cares since it seems no one else does.

The only people who remember Ugly Steve fondly are trolls or people who just found it funny and weren’t really involved in the first place (I found it funny, too, before people flung crap and blamed fans over it due to trolls, and people used it to make the real fans look bad).

The Grinch speculation had a lot of jerks but at least it had civil discussion as well. I’m not condoning horrible people by having enjoyed the speculation or having found it exciting when I didn’t pay attention to all the jerks, but still didn’t like them either when I noticed them. We all have our own experiences.
Civil discussion in the Grinch Leak, is this a joke?

Sorry but I think I'll drop discussion here. This is just silly at this point.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
The Grinch Leak was fairly entertaining to watch play out so long as you didn't get invested in either camp. Entertaining in a piteous, exasperating way.

To my memory, the insiders received the worst brunt of the ire. Which seemingly was largely due to them just not telling people what they wanted to hear, and not giving up their sources. I don't recall much yelling in all-caps, despite the gradual meltdowns. Other than during the Direct, perhaps. Maybe I simply stayed in the right circles.

Though I won't contest that it was not the best look for the fanbase.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Civil discussion in the Grinch Leak, is this a joke?

Sorry but I think I'll drop discussion here. This is just silly at this point.
Key words: “We all have our own experiences.”

There was heated debate sometimes in the social thread but it was relatively tame unless people were mad at insiders or someone started flinging crap which didn’t last for long, similar to dumb character arguments. There was still civil discussion and fun jokes and memes. Some people were jerks about the insiders, but others were simply upset with understandable reasons and others didn’t care. I can’t force myself to change how I felt about it and lie.

Honestly, I just found it more exciting than most other speculation and didn’t take it all that seriously to begin with (maybe a little bit sometimes but I never insulted or harassed anyone), and if y’all want to “better the community,” then the Character vs. Character crap isn’t any more tolerable. This community is already in a heck hole save for the nice people I’ve met.

That’s as much as I’ll say on this since no one else cares.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Honestly Arle would pretty much complete the SEGA lineup, all that’s really missing from the equation is her.
Strong disagree. Like I said, I could understand Arle, and I wouldn't really have much argument against it, but I wouldn't say that completes the equation or otherwises closes the door on SEGA by a long shot. And frankly, Puyo Puyo is rather far down the list of games and franchises I think of when I think of SEGA.

Honestly, while I am pretty adamantly in support of an OG PSO character and not a PSO2 character, if you want to talk about SEGA expanding their audience, PSO2 finally coming West would make that a smart bet to promote.
Plus, that game is the bloody king of crossovers, so they'd probably wind up setting up some kind of 2-way promotion.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I had a feeling it'd be up air so Terry could be DLC as **** with a dragdown
An up air that'd act as a recovery, you mean? Since this is Sakurai we're talking about, I think he'd want to stick to the source material and have it act as a recovery move since it goes straight up.

Unless he does both, then that's be cool.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Rising Tackle being an Up-air would mean we'd come full circle. The move that inspired one attack would now share the same input as its protégé.

I still think it'll be his Up-special. I think they can make the charge input work for the ground version.

Edit: Actually... I have no idea how Terry would grab the ledge with Rising Tackle. It may very well be an Up-Air.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Something I was curious about because I've seen people on other sites bring it up would be the "Tales of Series" trademark that Bandai Namco recently made. Is it possible that this was for the recent Bandai Namco Festival held on Oct. 19/20?

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 1.30.57 AM.png

A number of musical performances were held based on the Tales series, and it was specifically advertised as being a part of the "Tales of Series". People have been bringing this up as some point in a Tales character's favor for some reason, I'm not exactly sure if it was Smash-related.

Well, not to get overly political, but since Smash Bros. is a game with a GLOBAL fanbase, and the Western fanbase (North America and Europe) outnumbers Japan SIGNIFICANTLY, it's kinda justified to be annoyed with Japanese favoritism.
I mean, Smash Bros. has always been primarily been a celebration of Nintendo, a Japanese company, and third parties Nintendo most often works with, which are more often than not, also Japanese. Sakurai has gone on record to say that Smash is primarily centered around celebrating Japanese game history. The only exception to this rule is Banjo & Kazooie, and even then, they've had a pretty undeniable impact on Nintendo's N64 years. The focus on more Japanese-centered picks should absolutely not be all that surprising.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Honestly, while I am pretty adamantly in support of an OG PSO character and not a PSO2 character, if you want to talk about SEGA expanding their audience, PSO2 finally coming West would make that a smart bet to promote.
Plus, that game is the bloody king of crossovers, so they'd probably wind up setting up some kind of 2-way promotion.
I just wanna say me and some friends played the **** out of PSO when it came out and unironically loved it. I would support a PSO character just because that game was one of my favorites on Gamecube and lots of good multiplayer memories.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just wanna say me and some friends played the **** out of PSO when it came out and unironically loved it. I would support a PSO character just because that game was one of my favorites on Gamecube and lots of good multiplayer memories.
*When you see an acronym you don't recognize*
Play Station Online?
Pro Skater Olympics?
Parental Sanctioned Oscilloscope? (Wait what? Why would it be that? How the heck did I come up with something so nonsensical?)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Play Station Online?
Pro Skater Olympics?
Parental Sanctioned Oscilloscope? (Wait what? Why would it be that? How the heck did I come up with something so nonsensical?)
It's Phantasy Star Online.

Though I'm looking forward to a Parental Sanctioned Oscilloscope rep.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Play Station Online?
Pro Skater Olympics?
Could be worst. How many video games can be abbreviated to AC?

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
It was an important game too as far as ORPGs and later MMOs on consoles go, so I always have hope that if they steer toward a character representing that demographic, PSO will get the nod. Granted I fully expect SEGA would push for PSO2 and give us Ash, at that, but still...

Play Station Online?
Pro Skater Olympics?
Phantasy Star Online. It's good stuff.

PSO2... much less so. But it does have its good points, and is the leading waifu dress-up simulator, so yeah... If that's your jam, you're golden. >_>

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Phantasy Star Online. It's good stuff.

PSO2... much less so. But it does have its good points, and is the leading waifu dress-up simulator, so yeah... If that's your jam, you're golden. >_>
Dang, that makes me sad to hear PSO2 isn't good. I was looking forward to trying it out once it came to the west. My laptop is too ****ty to play a patched version of the PC one (I tried years ago and it ran like a slideshow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom