• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Man you would not have survived Erdrick era. At least we're getting different characters while most leak conversation over Erdrick boiled down to:
"This new info could deconfirm Erdrick."
"Try deconfirming Vergeben and Tansut first."

"The height stat doesn't match Erdrick"
"Stats can change."

"He's just another anime sword fighter."
"Except he wont be."

Rinse and repeat.
Can only imagine how awful the Banjo vs. Steve wars must have been.

D

Deleted member

As someone who just joined Smashboards for like, 2 months, how was the Steve vs Banjo wars?

The only thing I gained that was quite satisfying was a video that took the episode of Dragon Ball Super wherein Goku and Frieza joined up to fight Jiren, only then, Jiren's face was Steve's face. I couldn't remember, but it used that scene.

D

Deleted member

They were about as repetitive but I wasn't a big part of those.

*chuckle*

I didn't join when you guys were speculating Hero. I mean, had I been part of that era, I would've been like, "oh, okay". And back then, I wasn't too desperate about my "aT lEaSt oNe FeMaLe dLc ChArAcTeR" stance. During that time, we all knew that only one of the DLc had been revealed, so guessing tabel was still quite okay.

New info to deconfirm Hero (apologies I prefer using Hero better)? I've heard enough from Verg.

Height stat doesn't match? Pretty fishy for my standards, if you ask me.

Anime Swordfighter? Look what you give have been doing "Balagtasan" ever since his release.

I joined at the right time, didn't I?
Indifference probably would have been the best way to come at the Erdrick scene.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
As a huge Banjo stan lemme tell ya Steve vs. Banjo wasn't that bad. There was the constant back and forth about their relative chances (along with Master Chief, but Banjo was more demanded and Steve had "leaks" backing him so it was mainly those two), but I personally never saw people getting toxic about it nor did I see any bashing.

Plus it was all over like a week early when Banjo leaked anyway. Erdrick-bashing went on for way longer and was way worse.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Indifference probably would have been the best way to come at the Erdrick scene.
Somehow I've learned more things about Dragon Quest from the reddit stuff they posted. They look like researchers defending their thesis.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
As someone who just joined Smashboards for like, 2 months, how was the Steve vs Banjo wars?

The only thing I gained that was quite satisfying was a video that took the episode of Dragon Ball Super wherein Goku and Frieza joined up to fight Jiren, only then, Jiren's face was Steve's face. I couldn't remember, but it used that scene.
Banjo v Steve was mostly repetition and boring as both sides argued and argued.
All because these “insiders” kept hearing Minecraft content (or at least Verge and Hitagi).
Erdrick was usually paired with Steve but in the end betrayed the crafty miner to help the bear and bird.

Wait that last sentence made no sense.

D

Deleted member

Somehow I've learned more things about Dragon Quest from the reddit stuff they posted. They look like researchers defending their thesis.
The Erdrick era was very interesting for the pro-Erdrick side. Not only did we have to support Erdrick's merits as a character, we had to advertise what Dragon Quest was to the west before Square Enix could.

D

Deleted member

Awful, it was honestly just like the Square Enix debates but like 10 times worse and less interesting. Just the same 2 or 3 arguments from either side over and over until you felt like bashing your head against a wall.
Oh yeah and the toxicity, can't forget that.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As a Steve and Banjo-Kazooie fan, yes they sucked and all the content painting them as mortal enemies sucked. People even tried to push their opinions as arguments for why Sakurai would keep Steve out as if they know the man personally.

The ugly render was kinda funny originally, but people started hating it while blaming all Steve fans for it and the trolls kept abusing it; some people genuinely just used the render as a joke and they’re okay, however.

Some people were even jerks to clearly polite fans. We still get a few jerks on Twitter every now and then, but they’re minor so whatever.

Basically it was stupid and any current arguments or people being rude about it are still being stupid. I really hope Steve gets in this next pass.

The only people I saw being rude to the Banjo fans, however, were those stupid trolls and maybe some immature fans which every fanbase has.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Awful, it was honestly just like the Square Enix debates but like 10 times worse and less interesting. Just the same 2 or 3 arguments from either side over and over until you felt like bashing your head against a wall.
Dude I should've been there just spectating knowing that my most wanted would have low chances of getting in.

It would make the battles in the cheapest war movie ever made look like Saving Private Ryan.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

I didn't really do much here other than Rate Their Chances for a while so I don't know too much, but while just watching speculation Youtube videos I got so sick of the debate I was begging for one of them to get confirmed for the game just to get it over with. It was basically the only topic anyone talked about from Joker's reveal until E3 with people seemingly getting very heated on both sides. Same for Sora/Erdrick but to a significantly smaller degree.

I did pop in a bit for the Grinch Leak days though. That was almost the wild west for a bit. Someone would throw out something potentially wrong but explainable with the mural and then there would be like 10 pages debating if something like Greninja's tongue was cut off by Snakes gun or not multiple times per day. Complete insanity for a few weeks

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

i couldn't tell yeah i was busy in the Dragon Quest vs the World battle what i can say is that cursed steve meme can burn in hell

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Man you would not have survived Erdrick era. At least we're getting different characters while most leak conversation over Erdrick boiled down to:
"This new info could deconfirm Erdrick."
"Try deconfirming Vergeben and Tansut first."

"The height stat doesn't match Erdrick"
"Stats can change."

"He's just another anime sword fighter."
"Except he wont be."

Rinse and repeat.
smh Bold. Not mentioning the Geno fans saying "BRAVE'S STATS MATCH A ZONER!" or, my personal favorite, "Banjos are a brave instrument."

What a fake fan.
From what I know not too bad. Not nearly as bad as Square Enix speculation.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As a huge Banjo stan lemme tell ya Steve vs. Banjo wasn't that bad. There was the constant back and forth about their relative chances (along with Master Chief, but Banjo was more demanded and Steve had "leaks" backing him so it was mainly those two), but I personally never saw people getting toxic about it nor did I see any bashing.

Plus it was all over like a week early when Banjo leaked anyway. Erdrick-bashing went on for way longer and was way worse.
Erdrick saga was torture. It felt like it dragged on for like half a year. We got new datamines every now and then, but nothing significant.

Personally, I felt like we were over the hill when Shinya Kunazaki posted that Kirby pic with Brave’s shield.

Once Hero was revealed, I took a long, well deserved break from this place, so I missed the Banjo / Steve wars. I never chose a side here, unless one of them aligned with Hero. :p

D

Deleted member

smh Bold. Not mentioning the Geno fans saying "BRAVE'S STATS MATCH A ZONER!" or, my personal favorite, "Banjos are a brave instrument."

What a fake fan.
Those arguments were so bad they didn't even warrant being remembered.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Banjo vs. Steve bullcrap went on since last year for me, so maybe that’s why I remember it worse than y’all do...

Please make Banjo and Steve be friends; Banjo even has an official Minecraft skin.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The main problem with the Square speculation is that it clearly stalled for way too long (December to June). Eventually, there wasn't anything to talk about, and bringing back old topics just brought back the same old responses as well.

I know some people here are losing their patience with this fifth character already, but between nearly seven months and two-to-three months there's a huge difference.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Erdrick saga was torture. It felt like it dragged on for like half a year. We got new datamines every now and then, but nothing significant.

Personally, I felt like we were over the hill when Shinya Kunazaki posted that Kirby pic with Brave’s shield.

Once Hero was revealed, I took a long, well deserved break from this place, so I missed the Banjo / Steve wars. I never chose a side here, unless one of them aligned with Hero. :p
Because it did.

We first heard word of Erdrick in October 2018. Hero wasn't revealed until June 11th. That's 9 months of Square Enix speculation. Honestly the worst part of Ultimate speculation outside of the Grinch leak. Especially the Square Enix thread. You were with me in the trenches so I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but to anyone who wasn't there, you will never understand the raw frustration that speculation can bring about. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
Those arguments were so bad they didn't even warrant being remembered.
But they're so bad they're worth mentioning and being made fun of. Like the Grinch leak or Chair Theory.

D

Deleted member

I didn't really do much here other than Rate Their Chances for a while so I don't know too much, but while just watching speculation Youtube videos I got so sick of the debate I was begging for one of them to get confirmed for the game just to get it over with. It was basically the only topic anyone talked about from Joker's reveal until E3 with people seemingly getting very heated on both sides. Same for Sora/Erdrick but to a significantly smaller degree.

I did pop in a bit for the Grinch Leak days though. That was almost the wild west for a bit. Someone would throw out something potentially wrong but explainable with the mural and then there would be like 10 pages debating if something like Greninja's tongue was cut off by Snakes gun or not multiple times per day. Complete insanity for a few weeks
As someone who joined the Smash community as a whole in the middle of the Grinch leak mess, I could say I was kinda lucky. I mean, it's like your first day in the job at the Smash community, then you walk into your office and suddenly everyone's tossing **** left and right. I was like, "Does this happen everyday?"

Man, I only knew of the entire Grinch leak debacle two weeks into my days in the Smash community and I kinda felt sympathy for those who were fooled harder than the entirety of Columbia when they got cucked during Miss Universe 2015.

i couldn't tell yeah i was busy in the Dragon Quest vs the World battle what i can say is that cursed steve meme can burn in hell
As much as I used to play Minecraft like, 2 months ago, yeah, it's gotten old.

From what I know not too bad. Not nearly as bad as Square Enix speculation.
Geez, when it came to Square Enix stuff, everyone was tossing stuff left and right the moment Cloud got revealed for Smash 4. Now I'm really lucky I joined this stuff in the later part of this pass.

Hey, maybe not embed a video with a slur in its title?
Oh, I'm sorry.

D

Deleted member

But they're so bad they're worth mentioning and being made fun of. Like the Grinch leak or Chair Theory.
I will stan by the Grinch leak because the "Psynergy" was an extremely compelling observation.

Chair Theory I never understood.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I don’t know if this was been posted before but here’s an interesting tweet of how Japanese players view the idea of Doomguy: https://twitter.com/itjustbelikeit/status/1187153986555731968?s=21

With this in mind, can we please stop painting Western audiences in a negative light and treating them like uncultured swine just because they’ve never played or heard of a game that’s niche in their home country?

I’m not saying this to justify Hero and Terry being “wasted slots” as they’re definitely not but maybe now we can stop pretending Japanese Smash fans are this innocent peaceful group who are civil about character choices when they’re acting no better.

D

Deleted member

Y'know, seeing your stories right now means that you guys have gotten used to this stuff since, like, early Smash 4 days. You've seen this stuff almost on a daily basis that you just went with the flow.

I was like that back then. I decried shti every time something got leaked but soon enough, this was the norm of the community, and I had no choice but no go with the ride. Now you're all sitting here in this discussion with me on the table.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Those months were so bad that I was legitimately tempted to temporarily leave the site and not talk about Smash for a while in different ocassions.

Not having anything worth discussing is really bad when it drags on like Hero did.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
We first heard word of Erdrick in October 2018. Hero wasn't revealed until June 11th. That's 9 months of Square Enix speculation. Honestly the worst part of Ultimate speculation outside of the Grinch leak. Especially the Square Enix thread. You were with me in the trenches so I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but to anyone who wasn't there, you will never understand the raw frustration that speculation can bring about. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
You can make it even longer if you take into account Verge brought up the SE rep back in August 2018

D

Deleted member

I will stan by the Grinch leak because the "Psynergy" was an extremely compelling observation.

Chair Theory I never understood.
OOH OOH I GET TO POST THE IMAGE AGAIN
1538666653171.png

The main problem with the Square speculation is that it clearly stalled for way too long (December to June). Eventually, there wasn't anything to talk about, and bringing back old topics just brought back the same old responses as well.

I know some people here are losing their patience with this fifth character already, but between nearly seven months and two-to-three months there's a huge difference.
It also feels more chill than the Square/Microsoft wars. Now that Geno is unlikely and Banjo is in many people don't have as much personal stake in the next character, and there's been a decent variety of characters discussed compared to those two periods of speculation as well
Yeah but the Pixar movie "Brave" has a bear in it so clearly the codename is referencing Banjo

D

Deleted member

Those months were so bad that I was legitimately tempted to temporarily leave the site and not talk about Smash for a while in different ocassions.

Not having anything worth discussing is really bad when it drags on like Hero did.
I know how it feels. Man this site can be just as toxic as Smash discussions at the local Smash Facebook group (which I left)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
KOS-MOS, Morrigan, Reimu, Jill, Lara Croft, Mai Shiranui, Athena Asamiya, Velvet Crowe, Saber, Heihachi, Rex, Pyra or Mythra, any League champ, umm...what's next...oh, that was literally it.
KOS-MOS definitely doesn't have more impact than Jill, Lara, Heihachi, Morrigan or Mai.

Fun game time with your host Plank!:
If you could choose 1 mobile character to be playable, or at least featured by like stages or music or costumes, Which would it be?
Vault Boy from Fallout Shelter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Because it did.

Come on the Grinch Leak wasn't that bad (says the person that has the Grinch Leak as their pfp for a Halloween joke) it was a very interesting leak and the story plus the sheer amount of coincidences going for it is really interesting.

The fallout was bad but the leak while it was a thing was fun from my experience.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I don’t know if this was been posted before but here’s an interesting tweet of how Japanese players view the idea of Doomguy: https://twitter.com/itjustbelikeit/status/1187153986555731968?s=21

With this in mind, can we please stop painting Western audiences in a negative light and treating them like uncultured swine just because they’ve never played or heard of a game that’s niche in their home country?

I’m not saying this to justify Hero and Terry being “wasted slots” as they’re definitely not but maybe now we can stop pretending Japanese Smash fans are this innocent peaceful group who are civil about character choices when they’re acting no better.
Yeah the screenshot in the tweet is from Smash Boards. Also, no. The western audience is awful because they're the ones who spam Sakurai and make ****storms on social media. The fact Sakurai had to make a tweet in English saying "hey y'all, the DLC was chosen by Nintendo, not me; don't ask me for requests" is pretty indicative of this.
Now you're all sitting here in this discussion with me on the table.
...What?

D

Deleted member

Because it did.

You wanna know a greater source of frustration? Try supporting both Erdrick and Geno, and then paying a visit to the Geno thread. Half the people there were taking more shots at Dragon Quest than a game of beer pong.

D

Deleted member

What I meant to say is that I'm part of the speculation team, that is all.

Yeah the screenshot in the tweet is from Smash Boards. Also, no. The western audience is awful because they're the ones who spam Sakurai and make ****storms on social media. The fact Sakurai had to make a tweet in English saying "hey y'all, the DLC was chosen by Nintendo, not me; don't ask me for requests" is pretty indicative of this.
Sometimes, I'm glad I'm the type of Smash fan who wants to immerse herself into various new franchises that get added. It's more fun if you think about it.

When Joker got revealed I started adding all the Persona animations (coz I couldn't afford PS3's and PS4's), and began my binge-watching stuff. Still haven't finished P4 Animation but I'm at the late game

D

Deleted member

Come on the Grinch Leak wasn't that bad (says the person that has the Grinch Leak as their pfp for a Halloween joke) it was a very interesting leak and the story plus the sheer amount of coincidences going for it is really interesting.

The fallout was bad but the leak while it was a thing was fun from my experience.
The Grinch times were fun imo.
The period was awful for the people who didn't believe in the leak, being constantly ignored and having people insult you (at the very least) if you didn't believe on it or pointed the inconsistencies in the story/art/timeframe/actual info from insiders. Plus you both also ignore multiple people got death threats.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I know how it feels. Man this site can be just as toxic as Smash discussions at the local Smash Facebook group (which I left)
It's not even about toxicity or the likes. Just that discussion on the Square character (and honestly, I think it even affected other characters) dragged on for too much time without anything to feed speculation outside of some tidbits from Sakurai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom