• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

KOS-MOS is pretty much a weapon designed by humanity to defeat the Gnosis which are kinda like space ghosts creatures (if the non talk-show/superhero type) who are a menace to humanity as they are pretty much invincible. Only thing I I don't recall is if she was actually created by Shion Uzuki who is one of the protagonists of Xenosaga.
she also hosts the soul of Maria Magdalene while her counterpart is the body of the Magdalene.

She is surprising popular, as she keeps receiving figures including multiple figmas and is one of the most profilic crossover characters from Namco appearing even in Soul Calibur III, Namco x Capcom/Project X Zone, XB2 as you mentioned. Plus she is front and center in the newest Monolith Artwork celebrating the company's anniversary.
we need more robots in Smash so yeah.

D

Deleted member

KOS-MOS is pretty much a weapon designed by humanity to defeat the Gnosis which are kinda like space ghosts creatures (if the non talk-show/superhero type) who are a menace to humanity as they are pretty much invincible. Only thing I I don't recall is if she was actually created by Shion Uzuki who is one of the protagonists of Xenosaga.
she also hosts the soul of Maria Magdalene while her counterpart is the body of the Magdalene.

She is surprising popular, as she keeps receiving figures including multiple figmas and is one of the most profilic crossover characters from Namco appearing even in Soul Calibur III, Namco x Capcom/Project X Zone, XB2 as you mentioned. Plus she is front and center in the newest Monolith Artwork celebrating the company's anniversary.
Guess it comes down to popularity, which I can't blame as a Geno supporter. Hell, she seems to get more screen time than Geno so props to her.

D

Deleted member

Now I wonder who your wanteds are if KOS-MOS is the one with the most impact.
Hehe, you forced my mouth.

*takes deep breath*

KOS-MOS, Morrigan, Reimu, Jill, Lara Croft, Mai Shiranui, Athena Asamiya, Velvet Crowe, Saber, Heihachi, Rex, Pyra or Mythra, any League champ, umm...what's next...oh, that was literally it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

*takes deep breath*

KOS-MOS, Morrigan, Reimu, Jill, Lara Croft, Mai Shiranui, Athena Asamiya, Velvet Crowe, Saber, Heihachi, Rex, Pyra or Mythra, any League champ, umm...what's next...oh, that was literally it.
Can I sell you on my girls Fiora and Elma next??

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

*takes deep breath*

Now, I admittedly don't know much about Xenosaga and KOS-MOS, but... did she really make a bigger splash than Jill Valentine, Mai Shiranui and Lara Croft, to name a few?

Like... I doubt it, but I'm legitimately asking. Maybe the people who played Xenosaga know something I don't, since my contact with Xeno is restricted to the first Xenoblade...

D

Deleted member

Hoo boy, this feels like a Q&A part in a beauty pageant.

Can I sell you on my girls Fiora and Elma next??
I would prefer to get Fiora and Elma, though Fiora is the one that's more in my book. I only watched chugaaconroy's Xeno1 playthrough and that's about it. I'm praying that XenoX gets Switched so I could get the chance. Reason for Rex? Coz I played Xeno2 personally and I'm still in the lategame. Though overall, yes. I could vouch for it.

Now, I admittedly don't know much about Xenosaga and KOS-MOS, but... did she really make a bigger splash than Jill Valentine, Mai Shiranui and Lara Croft, to name a few?

Like... I doubt it, but I'm legitimately asking. Maybe the people who played Xenosaga know something I don't, since my contact with Xeno is restricted to the first Xenoblade...
I know that she didn't make a bigger splash. I've ordered this list factoring both probability and wishful thinking. If you're asking why KOS-MOS has a bigger splash, it's because she's the most probable this season. Maybe once the pass is over (and I do get a female character), I coudl go support them for the future Smash games.

In other words, personal opinion and their respective chances are two big factors in considering my most-wanted book. KOS-MOS is probably my biggest guess, so this is why I'm rooting for her this time.

Nope, she didn't. Lara Croft is way more iconic, ditto for Jill.
I know, I know, I know. It doesn't mean that I'm leaving them out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

*takes deep breath*

I'd say Reimu, Jill, Lara, Saber, Heihachi, Rex & Pyra/Mythra, and anyone from LoL have had more of an impact than KOS-MOS. Most of them are likelier, too. With that selection of characters you're bound to get someone you like, too, so if I were you I'd be less pessimistic and just enjoy the ride.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Yeah, you are definently probably going to get SOMEBODY. and you (probably) didn't get all of those hopes destroyed in an instance with the massacre of 11/1/18. (lucky.)

KatKit

Smash Lord
Actually can I get a summary here? Who is KOS-MOS and why is she cool given she's from a PS2 game? What makes her a better choice vs Rex or Elma? @ES. Dinah Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura
I'll give it shot without dipping into spoiler territory.

First things first: KOS-MOS is pretty much THE robot girl in video games. And this is coming from someone with a character dressed as 2B in their forum avatar. Moreover, out of any Xeno character, including Shulk, she's used in crossover/promotional materials the most. Chances are, you've probably seen her before knowing what Xenosaga was. Interestingly enough, most of her cameos are implied as canon appearances because interdimensional travel shenanigans. Thus, she's lived on past her initial PS2 appearances.

But why is she cool? Stoic robot? Check. Crazy prepared for any situation like Batman? Check. Of course she knows everything because she's a computer. Like Spock, every so often she'll show glimpses of a more human side. Sure, let's also give her a motorcycle because that's awesome. Aside from her interesting design, I think there's a reason people buy her figurines like hotcakes: she is a self-classified annihilation weapon (just look at the amount of accessories they threw in). Big swords, handguns, energy wings, gatling guns, shoulder mounted rail cannons, etc. Not only can she morph parts of her body into them because of nanomachines, but she can also summon them from literal hammerspace, and then have more fitted on to her. Talk about overkill. Her moveset potential is utterly insane. It helps that she's a dope character from a great game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll give it shot without dipping into spoiler territory.

First things first: KOS-MOS is pretty much THE robot girl in video games. And this is coming from someone with a character dressed as 2B in their forum avatar. Moreover, out of any Xeno character, including Shulk, she's used in crossover/promotional materials the most. Chances are, you've probably seen her rigor knowing what Xenosaga was. Interestingly enough, most of her cameos are implied as canon appearances because interdimensional travel shenanigans. Thus, she's lived on past her initial PS2 appearances.

But why is she cool? Stoic robot? Check. Crazy prepared for any situation like Batman? Check. Sure, let's also give her a motorcycle because that's awesome. Aside from her cool design, I think there's a reason people buy her figurines like hotcakes. She is a self-classified annihilation weapon. Big swords, handguns, energy wings, gatling guns, shoulder mounted rail cannons, etc. Not only can she morph parts of her body into them because of nanomachines, but she can also summon them from literal hammerspace, and have more fitted on to her. Her moveset potential is utterly insane. It helps that she's a dope character from a great game.
I wont lie and say she sounds kinda dope. The weapon of mass destruction appeal is the biggest thing pulling me into supporting her. Her purple and white design is appealing to look at too.

If I had to choose between her and another Namco series (Tekken, Soul Calibur, Digimon), I'd choose the latter. Otherwise, she sounds cool.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I know that she didn't make a bigger splash. I've ordered this list factoring both probability and wishful thinking. If you're asking why KOS-MOS has a bigger splash, it's because she's the most probable this season. Maybe once the pass is over (and I do get a female character), I coudl go support them for the future Smash games.

In other words, personal opinion and their respective chances are two big factors in considering my most-wanted book. KOS-MOS is probably my biggest guess, so this is why I'm rooting for her this time.
I still think Jill is more probable than her in terms of chance. Even in next season, characters like Arle, Lara, 2B, Reimu and a League champion would all have better chances imo.

I've said it before, but I think you have way too little faith in these girls for next season, Lesley.

Can someone remind me where the KOS-MOS rumors came from and what it entailed in full? I kinda forgot and I couldn't find it again, so...

Calane

Smash Ace
I don't mean to feed into conspiracies... Buuuuuut...

John has proved several times in the past that he has a wealth of insider knowledge, he's hinted at Ridley, Isabelle, a DQ Hero, he got all of the Final Fantasy games predicted down to a tee and even excluded 8 specifically, and considering he's been pushing Arle a lot out of nowhere as of recently, I'm beginning to wondering if he actually knows...
I would honestly be ecstatic if Arle somehow was the next DLC character. She's actually one of my favorite video game characters, though I've only gotten into the series fairly recently (like two/three years ago, I think). There's something about her and the world of Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari that I've come to really like over the years.

I never went out of my way to support her for Smash because I considered it an impossibility. I've learned from Takamaru that supporting a character that's likely never going to happen can be a crushingly disappointing experience, and I've since tried to avoid that kind of stress again. I lucked out with Hero, though! Heh.

It confuses me why more people (especially those who really want a female character) don't talk about Arle more. She and her series are aesthetically interesting next to the rest of the Smash roster, could bring a lot of amazing music, and there's tons of potential for a unique moveset. Arle's a mage with tons of spells and whatnot (especially if Sakurai were to dig into her Madou Monogatari origins). I mean, just check out her list of spells on this page: https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Arle_Nadja

That's a lot of stuff that could potentially be used for a moveset, lol.

I also recall reading that Puyo Puyo has more "brand awareness" than any other Sega series in Japan. That has to count for something, right? Don't recall where I originally heard that, but I did find this for anyone who's interested: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1172366725079158784.html

...It's probably not a very popular opinion, but I think Arle's a great fit for Smash (and the best choice for a new Sega rep). I'd love to see her included someday.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I would honestly be ecstatic if Arle somehow was the next DLC character. She's actually one of my favorite video game characters, though I've only gotten into the series fairly recently (like two/three years ago, I think). There's something about her and the world of Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari that I've come to really like over the years.

I never went out of my way to support her for Smash because I considered it an impossibility. I've learned from Takamaru that supporting a character that's likely never going to happen can be a crushingly disappointing experience, and I've since tried to avoid that kind of stress again. I lucked out with Hero, though! Heh.

It confuses me why more people (especially those who really want a female character) don't talk about Arle more. She and her series are aesthetically interesting next to the rest of the Smash roster, could bring a lot of amazing music, and there's tons of potential for a unique moveset. Arle's a mage with tons of spells and whatnot (especially if Sakurai were to dig into her Madou Monogatari origins). I mean, just check out her list of spells on this page: https://puyonexus.com/wiki/Arle_Nadja

That's a lot of stuff that could potentially be used for a moveset, lol.

I also recall reading that Puyo Puyo has more "brand awareness" than any other Sega series in Japan. That has to count for something, right? Don't recall where I originally heard that, but I did find this for anyone who's interested: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1172366725079158784.html

...It's probably not a very popular opinion, but I think Arle's a great fit for Smash (and the best choice for a new Sega rep). I'd love to see her included someday.
How do I like a post 100 times?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Can someone remind me where the KOS-MOS rumors came from and what it entailed in full? I kinda forgot and I couldn't find it again, so...
There was the one 4chan post with the drunk cat pic that guessed banjo and kazooie's codename before it had been revealed and a couple other details, but that was the big one. Later on, a post made in Sept I believe using the same pic predicted KOS-MOS as FP5

Plank08

Smash Lord
Fun game time with your host Plank!:
If you could choose 1 mobile character to be playable, or at least featured by like stages or music or costumes, Which would it be? I would personally choose PvsZ because they could totally work a character in

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
[entire post about Kosmos]
Some good points here, especially about the impact of her design and moveset potential.
It helps that she's a dope character from a great game.

Saga turns into a tirefire of a game series in it's second entry, and it gets even worse if you look into the development of the series which is a full on disaster. It basically killed Monolith Soft's morale and they spent the entirely of Xenoblade's development trying to build themselves back up.

(Mind, everything else you said about Kosmos, I agree with. But Saga was a very troubled development and it shows.)

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
If you could choose 1 mobile character to be playable, or at least featured by like stages or music or costumes, Which would it be? I would personally choose PvsZ because they could totally work a character in
Angry Birds assist trophy

a sling shot will appear and some angry birds will launch from it, flying into the other players.

the birds are randomized and could be one of the following
red bird (regular)
yellow bird (speeds up)
blue bird (splits into three)
white bird (drops an egg bomb)
bomb bird (explodes)

after fives birds, the slingshot will disappear

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Soul Knight character for sure, FNAF doesn't count otherwise i would say FNAF.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Personally, I'm just not especially invested. Legacy-wise she fits, and I do agree that more puzzle-game representation is good (when it involves a series with actual characters, at least), but getting Arle would just be a "Yeah, I can understand that." sort of announcement for me. Especially when looking at everything else in SEGA's catalogue.

If you want to count mobile spin-offs, one of the Cinderella Girls. Kirari, Mayu, Ranko, Eve, Kanako, etc... I'm not picky.

Mobile/web only? Kancolle. Yuudachi or Kamoi preferred, but I'm open.

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
Dark Dragon (or plant dragon since it’s the mascot) from Dragonvale. It’s really the only mobile game I’ve played lol.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Some good points here, especially about the impact of her design and moveset potential.

Saga turns into a tirefire of a game series in it's second entry, and it gets even worse if you look into the development of the series which is a full on disaster. It basically killed Monolith Soft's morale and they spent the entirely of Xenoblade's development trying to build themselves back up.

(Mind, everything else you said about Kosmos, I agree with. But Saga was a very troubled development and it shows.)
There are some people out there who didn't care about changes introduced in the sequel, and you can't jump straight into them because of all of the story you'd miss out on (which probably contributed to lower sales numbers, aside from being niche), but the complete package was solid. The project was overly ambitious, and it sucks that it didn't pay off in the end, but that doesn't take away from its accomplishments.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What's good everyone? I have 4 hours worth of free time. Any updates recently?

Wait, why is everyone suddenly talking about Arle Nadja?

D

Deleted member

Nothing new. Just waiting for November.
Good. Very good. Just until the speculation thread is all mossy and overgrown from the lack of info lately so...

"yo Verg comfirmed KO-"

B**** W*** T**..

"nah jk"

Great, you got me there.

It's just my way of controlling inner hype

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Y'all wanna hear something interesting?

Apparently that Touhou leaker who made the claims abt Touhou remixes for Smash did indeed leak the screens of Touhou 17.5, and the explanation of "it came from the dev's twitter when they posted it" doesn't hold water.

(this is a thread btw, more than just the one tweet u see here)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'all wanna hear something interesting?

Apparently that Touhou leaker who made the claims abt Touhou remixes for Smash did indeed leak the screens of Touhou 17.5, and the explanation of "it came from the dev's twitter when they posted it" doesn't hold water.

(this is a thread btw, more than just the one tweet u see here)
NGL, this reminds me of the time the Grinch promo material was used to support the Grinch leak.

Good. Very good. Just until the speculation thread is all mossy and overgrown from the lack of info lately so...

"yo Verg comfirmed KO-"

B**** W*** T**..

"nah jk"

Great, you got me there.

It's just my way of controlling inner hype
Vergeben confirmed Mario. Pack it up folks.

D

Deleted member

Vergeben confirmed Mario. Pack it up folks.

I'll give you points for trying but you caught me there.

Sigh...honestly, watching this thread fill up with any activity is like watching paint dry on a wooden fence. It takes a long time before something happens.

D

Deleted member

I'll give you points for trying but you caught me there.

Sigh...honestly, watching this thread fill up with any activity is like watching paint dry on a wooden fence. It takes a long time before something happens.
Man you would not have survived Erdrick era. At least we're getting different characters while most leak conversation over Erdrick boiled down to:
"This new info could deconfirm Erdrick."
"Try deconfirming Vergeben and Tansut first."

"The height stat doesn't match Erdrick"
"Stats can change."

"He's just another anime sword fighter."
"Except he wont be."

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Honestly Arle would pretty much complete the SEGA lineup, all that’s really missing from the equation is her.

We have Sonic, and we have Joker, both from two of SEGA’s most popular and most-profitable series, and with Puyo finally making the rounds worldwide and SEGA largely shifting their focus to having their games be available to as big of an audience as humanly possible (I mean they’re actually localizing Sakura Wars what has this world come to??) she Is without question the perfect choice for another SEGA rep and would complete the big three.

D

Deleted member

Man you would not have survived Erdrick era. At least we're getting different characters while most leak conversation over Erdrick boiled down to:
"This new info could deconfirm Erdrick."
"Try deconfirming Vergeben and Tansut first."

"The height stat doesn't match Erdrick"
"Stats can change."

"He's just another anime sword fighter."
"Except he wont be."

Rinse and repeat.
*chuckle*

I didn't join when you guys were speculating Hero. I mean, had I been part of that era, I would've been like, "oh, okay". And back then, I wasn't too desperate about my "aT lEaSt oNe FeMaLe dLc ChArAcTeR" stance. During that time, we all knew that only one of the DLc had been revealed, so guessing tabel was still quite okay.

New info to deconfirm Hero (apologies I prefer using Hero better)? I've heard enough from Verg.

Height stat doesn't match? Pretty fishy for my standards, if you ask me.

Anime Swordfighter? Look what you give have been doing "Balagtasan" ever since his release.

I joined at the right time, didn't I?

Honestly Arle would pretty much complete the SEGA lineup, all that’s really missing from the equation is her.

We have Sonic, and we have Joker, both from two of SEGA’s most popular and most-profitable series, and with Puyo finally making the rounds worldwide and SEGA largely shifting their focus to having their games be available to as big of an audience as humanly possible (I mean they’re actually localizing Sakura Wars what has this world come to??) she Is without question the perfect choice for another SEGA rep and would complete the big three.
Imo yeah, definitely. Though it would deconfirm the state that "no two characters from the same company in one pass" would make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom