• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
This is only from the game's first month and also Pokemon Masters is technically TPC and not Nintendo.

I'll have to pull up the updated graph later but from what I remember currently in terms of revenue it's only behind Fire Emblem Heroes.
That's why I said it depends on the metric you're using. Masters came out at the end of August so it has only been out a month, so obviously it's at a disadvantage in terms of total revenue generation.

And you're gonna pull the TPC card? I guess Pikachu is third party then since he's not Nintendo.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Heya, other than Pokemon and playable characters that you can create, how likely is an female skin?
If a Resident Evil character gets in, I can see Jill and Claire being alts to Chris... or Jill may be an echo fighter with a Claire alt while Chris gets a Leon alt outside of the fighters pass but if she turns out to be one I hope she has a lot more differences than being a glorified skin.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
And you're gonna pull the TPC card? I guess Pikachu is third party then since he's not Nintendo.
I mean, Nintendo only owns 32% of Pokemon along with Game Freak and Creatures, TPC operates independently and can produce whatever they want without any of the three parties involvement, which is why we've gotten so many mobile games from them.

So no, I don't count any of the Pokemon mobile games we've gotten as part of Nintendo's mobile business as a whole.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
This is actually not true. The biggest mobile game in terms of revenue is Fate Grand Order, which achieved a gross of 3 billion dollars worldwide. The difference in popularity between Fate and Granblue is so astronomical that it's not even a contest.
You're right! I thought that was the case but didn't realize the gulf was so large. That puts things back into perspective, as well as raises questions of an FGO rep... though that's a can of worms I've already seen opened and would rather not. Thanks for the correction.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Terry was the most hype reveal for me, a part of it was that I wasn't sure if the SNK Leak was real so I withheld judgement until 9/4 and when it turned out to be true I was happy. (Although I did indulged in spectulation of what would happen if an SNK rep was in Smash before I watched the reveal trailer.)
Terry is the first character I really really got excited in Smash

PD:If anyone is interested, today is Nakoruru's birthday!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If Nintendo is gonna get a character from CyGames then a Dragalia Lost rep like Euden would make way more sense than a rep from a game that isn't coming to Nintendo systems. Euden would need the promotion more anyways since Granblue is already massive.

EDIT: Happy Birthday, Nakoruru! ^u^

Last edited:

WillRojo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Golmet
Switch FC
SW 4912 7004 1430
My safe wish: Ryu Hayabusa.
My not-so-safe wishes: Agumon & Spyro.
My practically impossible wish: Firebrand.

Roberk

Smash Champion
I think people would prefer a first-party rep (Dragalia Lost) that they can download on their native App Store in most regions of the world than a third-party (Granblue Fantasy) that you have to jump through regional hoops to access tbh.

GBF is certainly Cygames’s largest property, but it has the advantage of being out for over 5 years while DL just came out last year. DL is growing at an impressive rate and from what I’ve seen it already has larger western communities than Granblue. DL is the better business choice for both Nintendo and Cygames since GBF won’t be coming out of Japan anytime soon due to licensing issues.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If Nintendo is gonna get a character from CyGames then a Dragalia Lost rep like Euden would make way more sense than a rep from a game that isn't coming to Nintendo systems.
But Dragalia Lost isn't coming to Nintendo systems too. It's only on mobile devices.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Has any GBF related property came to the west? Not the mobile game itself, but any spinoffs which it is pretty famous for?

also slightly unrelated, RTC spelled Jin Kazama’s name as Jon Kazama lmao

let the Garfield memes commence... or something

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Most hype reveals for me were :ultisabelle: and Terry (why do we still not have a Terry flair?). Honestly I can't think of that many characters that would get me as excited as these two did.
Reveal trailers that made me hype throughout the Smash series:
  1. Cloud Strife - 3DS/Wii-U
  2. Megaman - 3DS/Wii-U
  3. Terry Bogard - Ultimate
  4. Palutena - 3DS/Wii-U
  5. Shulk - 3DS/Wii-U
  6. Hero - Ultimate
  7. Simon Belmont - Ultimate
  8. Banjo-Kazooie - Ultimate
  9. Ryu - 3DS/Wii-U
  10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl E3 Trailer especially at the end when Snake was unveiled.
  11. Sonic the Hedgehog - Brawl
  12. Everyone is Here Trailer - Ultimate

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Considering people only ever acknowledge Kazooie to say "Shut up about wanting women in Smash" and when talking about Banjo only ever acknowledge the bear, no, the almighty blade of Sir Banjolemew the seventeenth doesn't count
What would you rather say? Banjo & Kazooie or Banjo? Everybody will type out the shorter name. Alternatively, I've seen people type out BK, and it's shorter too, so that works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Has any GBF related property came to the west? Not the mobile game itself, but any spinoffs which it is pretty famous for?

also slightly unrelated, RTC spelled Jin Kazama’s name as Jon Kazama lmao

let the Garfield memes commence... or something
GBF Versus should be coming out in the West, so should GBF ReLink I'm pretty sure, but they're not out yet. There's also Shadowverse out in the West, which is Cygames' version of Hearthstone and it has some GBF content. Dragalia Lost is more like Cygames' official foray into the West really. Near-worldwide release, simultaneous Japanese/Western updates, and quite a few characters and dragons in it are repurposed from old discontinued Cygames gachas and GBF itself.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What would you rather say? Banjo & Kazooie or Banjo? Everybody will type out the shorter name. Alternatively, I've seen people type out BK, and it's shorter too, so that works.
This pretty much, people really only say "Banjo" because its shorter, not because they don't think Kazooie is important. BK is also an alternative shorter option as Boulderousness says so perhaps encourage people to refer to them as that if people referring to the character as just "Banjo" is very bothersome...

It might also be a nice callback for Donkey Kong as he is also often referred to as DK in short.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
BK works yeah but my point is that people only bother mentioning Kazooie to shut down people for wanting women. It'd be like if Banjo stans were forced to shut up because they have K.Rool and need to be grateful. Or Geno stans were told to be happy with Plant and stay silent, it's only for women and minorities were filling quotas is suddenly a bad thing as the people shutting it down will go "WE NEED MORE X REPS!"

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
All I'm saying is people almost always shorten Banjo & Kazooie's name as just "Banjo", but never as just "Kazooie".

That said, I do plan on using "BK" more often. It's short and acknowledges both characters.

D

Deleted member

BK works yeah but my point is that people only bother mentioning Kazooie to shut down people for wanting women. It'd be like if Banjo stans were forced to shut up because they have K.Rool and need to be grateful. Or Geno stans were told to be happy with Plant and stay silent, it's only for women and minorities were filling quotas is suddenly a bad thing as the people shutting it down will go "WE NEED MORE X REPS!"
Yeah, I don't agree with using Kazooie to shut down wanting more female reps. If you want something, you want something. Just don't be a **** about it. For all intents and purposes, though, she is a female rep like how Nana is a female rep in Ice Climbers.

Plank08

Smash Lord
All I’m gonna say about this is I feel like we won’t get a character just because they are female, they will just so happen to be female.
Sakurai isn’t trying to make this a men only club guys, he has literally no problem adding females, it just hasn’t happened yet, and we will just have to wait for it to happen. (Also only calling Doomslayer a macho man and just that is just as bad as me calling Lara Croft just a “Hot Babe” so please stop)

D

Deleted member

All I’m gonna say about this is I feel like we won’t get a character just because they are female, they will just so happen to be female.
Sakurai isn’t trying to make this a men only club guys, he has literally no problem adding females, it just hasn’t happened yet, and we will just have to wait for it to happen. (Also only calling Doomslayer a macho man and just that is just as bad as me calling Lara Croft just a “Hot Babe” so please stop)
If you say so.

Apologies for my short replies. I'm merely using my phone.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh everyone knows that, it's just that the community often goes "DK REP! METROID REP! POKEMON REP! VILLAIN REP! ZELDA REP! MARIO RPG REP! N64 REP!" and many, MANY more yet suddenly there's a problem if you say "woman or minority rep?" and the person asking for it is deemed an entitled idiot. Wonder why that is

D

Deleted member

Oh everyone knows that, it's just that the community often goes "DK REP! METROID REP! POKEMON REP! VILLAIN REP! ZELDA REP! MARIO RPG REP! N64 REP!" and many, MANY more yet suddenly there's a problem if you say "woman or minority rep?" and the person asking for it is deemed an entitled idiot. Wonder why that is
Yeah, just that is enough to bring discrimination.

Ask for a major rep from a major Smash franchise and everyone agrees. Ask a rep from a minority group and everyone calls you a douchebag.

Yep, it's discrimination alright.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai's latest Famitsu column wasn't Smash related as it was more of him talking about TGS and awards, but 1 of the things he apparently did mention was Atelier Ryza winning something called the Future Award. After I read that part of the translation, I kinda popped hard seeing Sakurai mentioning this cause it just makes me think Atelier could somehow end up being in Smash, though it probably won't happen anytime soon.

Source:

D

Deleted member

Can't speak for those people. They sound narrowminded.

However, I've seen the shoe on the other foot. If you want idk Geno and nothing more--to a point where everything but Geno is disappointing and it's annoyingly all you talk about, I think I have room to call that person narrowminded. Similarly to female reps, if that's all you want and damn any other topic, I have room to think that person is equally narrowminded.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Yeah, just that is enough to bring discrimination.

Ask for a major rep from a major Smash franchise and everyone agrees. Ask a rep from a minority group and everyone calls you a douchebag.

Yep, it's discrimination alright.
I’m not trying to necessarily defend it to anything, but I think people might think your trying to turn this into a 50/50 split type deal when gaming as a whole isn’t even like that, causing some upsets, I’m not sure if discrimination is the right word.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai's latest Famitsu column wasn't Smash related as it was more of him talking about TGS and awards, but 1 of the things he apparently did mention was Atelier Ryza winning something called the Future Award. After I read that part of the translation, I kinda popped hard seeing Sakurai mentioning this cause it just makes me think Atelier could somehow end up being in Smash, though it probably won't happen anytime soon.

Source:
Okay I've seen this series bouncing around from time to time. I think it's an RPG and some of its music is pretty fantastic, but fill me in. What is the Atelier series and what makes it stand out from say, Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. Gameplay, story, anything.

D

Deleted member

I’m not trying to necessarily defend it to anything, but I think people might think your trying to turn this into a 50/50 split type deal when gaming as a whole isn’t even like that, causing some upsets, I’m not sure if discrimination is the right word.
Yeah... I see that.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well that's interesting. I've heard about the Atelier series but I'm not that well versed into it. Can you fill me up on it and it's history?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
No one here demonizes asking for female characters or some kind of minorities. But when the discussion suddenly goes political about Nintendo and Sakurai "turning the DLC into a sausage fest" as if they were intentionally denying characters in an attempt to offend anyone, some people would rather not talk about them.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No one here demonizes asking for female characters or some kind of minorities. But when the discussion suddenly goes political about Nintendo and Sakurai "turning the DLC into a sausage fest" as if they were intentionally denying characters in an attempt to offend anyone, some people would rather not talk about them.
Can't speak for those people. They sound narrowminded.

However, I've seen the shoe on the other foot. If you want idk Geno and nothing more--to a point where everything but Geno is disappointing and it's annoyingly all you talk about, I think I have room to call that person narrowminded. Similarly to female reps, if that's all you want and damn any other topic, I have room to think that person is equally narrowminded.
See, I'd agree but whenever I see people ask for more women, it's "Hey, I just realized we've primarily had dudes, can we have a few women in there too?" Yet those are the people often get called shallow or 'trying to fit quotas' when the people yelling at them want to fit quotas that fit with what they want. ****, I can probably think of about 50 women I'd love to see in Smash but I'm going to shill the **** out of Sol, a dude, because I want his crazy ass bull**** in this game.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

Source:
Isn't that the game with the girl with the juicy thighs? Wouldn't she be nerfed the same way Snake was? lol

D

Deleted member

See, I'd agree but whenever I see people ask for more women, it's "Hey, I just realized we've primarily had dudes, can we have a few women in there too?" Yet those are the people often get called shallow or 'trying to fit quotas' when the people yelling at them want to fit quotas that fit with what they want. ****, I can probably think of about 50 women I'd love to see in Smash but I'm going to shill the **** out of Sol, a dude, because I want his crazy *** bull**** in this game.
Same here. Two of my four most wanted right now are women (Hat Kid and Pyra--who'd come with Rex).

Everybody plays the victim when it comes to their most wanted so I have no room to discuss bias. I mean, have you seen Erdrick speculation? DQ fans were the underdogs until more evidence supported Erdrick, and they had to advertise the games for Square Enix. Equally, Geno fans feel hated for wanting Geno for who knows what reason and because some Geno fans are legitimate jerks. Don't forget Steve fans who just casually wanted Minecraft before the Banjo train steamrolled through some innocent discussions. Basically, it's just the Smash community being the Smash community, but now politics is involved.

Think the takeaway here is that there are no quotas to fulfill in Smash Bros.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Same here. Two of my four most wanted right now are women (Hat Kid and Pyra--who'd come with Rex).

Think the takeaway here is that there are no quotas to fulfill in Smash Bros.

Everybody plays the victim when it comes to their most wanted so I have no room to discuss bias. I mean, have you seen Erdrick speculation? DQ fans were the underdogs until more evidence supported Erdrick, and they had to advertise the games for Square Enix. Equally, Geno fans feel hated for wanting Geno for who knows what reason and because some Geno fans are legitimate jerks. Basically, it's just the Smash community being the Smash community, but now politics is involved.
Underdog mentality is something I saw a while ago with someone whining about third parties taking priority meaning that the poor first party characters may not get their chance because of them not being third party and I was like "Dude your most wanted is a Pokemon, how is a Pokemon an underdog when compared to Terry who barely anyone here saw as a possibility?"

D

Deleted member

Underdog mentality is something I saw a while ago with someone whining about third parties taking priority meaning that the poor first party characters may not get their chance because of them not being third party and I was like "Dude your most wanted is a Pokemon, how is a Pokemon an underdog when compared to Terry who barely anyone here saw as a possibility?"
Man, just give me Three Houses and I'm done with First Parties for now lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom