• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
None. You don't add a franchise just for its music, or support it "to please its fans" or because it's a long-standing request. Those are BS reasons.
youre not really good at the whole "discussion" thing are you?

on a discussion board, when someone asks a question, i find it best not to respond with "Thats some stupid bullsh*t".

quickie question, 3 Characters or series that you don't care one bit, but if they get added you would still love it cause the music the would bring?
- The World Ends with You

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Speaking of emoticons.
Why is :ulthero: still the only Hero we have months later?
I don't have any mains listed but I'd list The Hero if they put Arusu / Erdrick's icon in the database already.

Anyway, as for my favorite reveal trailer...huh. For me, as someone with very specific wants that are just alternate versions of existing characters (those being Ganon and Paper Mario), I don't get excited about newcomers so much as happy for their fans. "Oh, cool!" I'll say, "I know lots of people wanted Mega Man / Robin / Shulk / Ridley / K. Rool / Banjo & Kazooie / etc." and such. The newcomers for pretty much every game were all great imho, but I have yet to see a newcomer trailer that spoke directly to me.

The Hero almost got me excited, but during their reveal trailer back in June, I was looking for the female versions to show up while the male versions of the Dragon Quest III and IV protagonists arrived to save the Luminary. I was bottling up my excitement, which was building, ready to let it out when I saw the women, but they never showed up and the Smash site was later updated to reveal that the four heroes each got a recolor. It flattened my hype for The Hero by a ton; these days, I have plenty of fun with them but it puts a sour taste in my mouth that the Smash team was unable to include more than the four heroes we got due to time constraints--had all 8 color slots been able to get a unique model like Sakurai initially wanted, I think he may have been able to get the women in there.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
None. You don't add a franchise just for its music, or support it "to please its fans" or because it's a long-standing request. Those are BS reasons.
uh... while i agree with this... who said anything about supporting or requesting a character just for the music? I'm not supporting Heihachi or a tekken character, but if they get added, I will very likely enjoy the music they bring :/

Is not like the decisions of who gets added is taken by anyone of us anyways ._.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
youre not really good at the whole "discussion" thing are you?

on a discussion board, when someone asks a question, i find it best not to respond with "Thats some stupid bullsh*t".
Sorry, been reading crap on the FE3H boards recently. Kinda jaded me.
Obviously I still think what I said but it can still be fun to discuss impossible what-if scenarios. So to answer the original question:
- Eternal Sonata
- Ace Combat
- Skyrim

I could've said Guild Wars instead of Skyrim but I actually care about Guild Wars. I just wanted to give Jeremy Soule some deserved love.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I would think he'd go for a more popular dragon character to absorb first like Charizard or Ridley.
I feel like the far more obvious/Skyrimmy dragon here is Rathalos.

quickie question, 3 Characters or series that you don't care one bit, but if they get added you would still love it cause the music the would bring?
I don't think I have such a thing, because becoming attached to the music of a game generally means I've also become attached to the game itself.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I don't particularly care about Kingdom Hearts, but there's definitely some amazing music there. So provided the series ends up not being disqualified, I guess I'd count that.

I don't care about BlazBlue, but Bang's theme is fire.

Also, don't think I've ever played an Ace Combat game, but it has this theme.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
GUYS I think I found something big! (Keyword THINK because I have very limited info)
Alright so during like JulyI found this video, it was a remix of the LittleBigPlanet song “Left Bank 2” but in the smash bros styles and I liked it, but here’s where your gonna have to stretch your imagination a little bit. So I don’t remember when exactly but after hero got revealed the whole channel got terminated for an unknown reason, the video was at like 700 or something views when I first watched it but it was rapidly gaining views like by the 10s a day, and the creator of the channel didn’t seem like they would do anything to deserve a copyright strike or a termination.. so... I don’t know.. could be a coincidence.. but I don’t know, just felt like telling you guys.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Sorry, been reading crap on the FE3H boards recently. Kinda jaded me.
Obviously I still think what I said but it can still be fun to discuss impossible what-if scenarios. So to answer the original question:
- Eternal Sonata
- Ace Combat
- Skyrim

I could've said Guild Wars instead of Skyrim but I actually care about Guild Wars. I just wanted to give Jeremy Soule some deserved love.
I wouldn't say no to Rytlock... ugh... offtopic, i'm torn regarding the Guildwars 3 rumour...There are so much that guildwars 2 did great to improve from a design standpoint, yet there is so much they could improve that could only be done with a new game (like the whole loot system and inventory) and if they apply again teh think outside the box and fun first ideologies that made GW2 great, even if some of it's mechanichs have aged...

I also could do withouth being teh friggin commander, and i'm kinda bored sick of the whole "the world is about to explode" narrative that they have stretched for so long.

But then again, how much autonomy the studio will have? or if teh game will be more grindier in order to accomodate bad microtransactions. and while GW" have aged.. is still quite playable.

(also where is my playable jet representing acecombat? )

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh man, I'd be psyched for Guild Wars anything. Guild Wars 2 is so much fun.

I could just imagine them adding some Palutena's Guidance equivalent where the members of Dragon's Watch comment on the other fighters. Taimi gushes over tech like the Sheikah Slate and Variable Weapons System, Connach being super sarcastinc, Brahm wanting to get in there and bust some heads, and Rytloc being so done with all the crap in Smash.

As for music, a lot of it is more ambient, but there are some tunes that have stood out to me:
  • Overture (The original Main theme for Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2)
  • Fear Not This Night (An amazing vocal track that seems to be the main theme of the Sylvari)
  • Sunny Glade (Super Adventure Box World 1-1)
  • Temple of Tolerance (A melodious piece that plays in Kryta in both games.)
  • That freaking theme that always plays in Kryta but I can never find it online.
I wouldn't say no to Rytlock... ugh... offtopic, i'm torn regarding the Guildwars 3 rumour...There are so much that guildwars 2 did great to improve from a design standpoint, yet there is so much they could improve that could only be done with a new game (like the whole loot system and inventory) and if they apply again teh think outside the box and fun first ideologies that made GW2 great, even if some of it's mechanichs have aged...

I also could do withouth being teh friggin commander, and i'm kinda bored sick of the whole "the world is about to explode" narrative that they have stretched for so long.
I'm just tired of the Elder Dragons. The game's been out for years and the main antagonist hasn't been anything new. Sure Path of Fire gave us Balthazar, but he acted exactly like an Elder Dragon, and due to the omnipresence of Kralketorik the entire expansion feels like a side story in the grand scheme of things.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, Guild Wars 2 disappointed me compared to Guild Wars 1. Sure, it had novel ideas and it wasn't all bad. In fact it was enjoyable and several things I'd like to see more of in a potential GW3... but it didn't have what made Guild Wars 1 so special to me: customisable movesets.

Seriously, I spent so much time making up movesets, some that worked stupidly well and surprised many, others that were completely gimmicky... I could tailor my characters to play the way I wanted. My elementalist could be a healer if I so desired.
With dungeons being instances specific to each player/group of players, it allowed the devs to give you truly challenging ones. You sometimes had to rework your moveset or team composition to have any hope of winning. It truly felt like a battle of wits. The game threw at you a challenge, you had to rise up to beat it.

In GW2 however, pretty much anything could and had to be beaten by numbers. This resulted in quests you wanted to do... but couldn't ever hope of doing. Those three Wurms that you had to defeat almost simultaneously were horrible. At least 60 people were required to even stand a chance. Not only that, they each had to be guided by a leader who knew how to deal with the Wurm. That being said, it was the most fun I had in GW2, a real challenge.

But when we were only 40, we had to call it off. No point in even trying. Bounties or World Bosses were impossible when no one joined you. But then you had the World Boss trains with like 100+ people. You had better be there the minute it started or it'd be already be over. Not to mention 99% of these players would just sit back and wait for a very small group of like 4 people to take care of the quest to unlock the World Boss... which sometimes almost failed (time limit + 1-2 people doing it can be hard) until a few who got tired of waiting came to help.

Where's the challenge here? All you need to do is wait, mash your buttons to cast your skills/spells... profit! The 2 things that were truly challenging were the Wurms and the Silverwastes. And even then, the Silverwastes usually had big groups at certain times so you'd just hop in on the train and you wouldn't even need to know what the boss does. Just spam. Seriously, I hardly even recall what the bosses did, except for the Wurms.

... Wow, didn't mean it to be a rent! Sheesh, I really am cranky tonight, sorry guys :nifty:
To end on a good note, regardless of my experience, the music was always on point, not too obtrusive, and that's something I appreciate in my MMOs.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
To be honest, Guild Wars 2 disappointed me compared to Guild Wars 1. Sure, it had novel ideas and it wasn't all bad. In fact it was enjoyable and several things I'd like to see more of in a potential GW3... but it didn't have what made Guild Wars 1 so special to me: customisable movesets.

Seriously, I spent so much time making up movesets, some that worked stupidly well and surprised many, others that were completely gimmicky... I could tailor my characters to play the way I wanted. My elementalist could be a healer if I so desired.
With dungeons being instances specific to each player/group of players, it allowed the devs to give you truly challenging ones. You sometimes had to rework your moveset or team composition to have any hope of winning. It truly felt like a battle of wits. The game threw at you a challenge, you had to rise up to beat it.

In GW2 however, pretty much anything could and had to be beaten by numbers. This resulted in quests you wanted to do... but couldn't ever hope of doing. Those three Wurms that you had to defeat almost simultaneously were horrible. At least 60 people were required to even stand a chance. Not only that, they each had to be guided by a leader who knew how to deal with the Wurm. That being said, it was the most fun I had in GW2, a real challenge.

But when we were only 40, we had to call it off. No point in even trying. Bounties or World Bosses were impossible when no one joined you. But then you had the World Boss trains with like 100+ people. You had better be there the minute it started or it'd be already be over. Not to mention 99% of these players would just sit back and wait for a very small group of like 4 people to take care of the quest to unlock the World Boss... which sometimes almost failed (time limit + 1-2 people doing it can be hard) until a few who got tired of waiting came to help.

Where's the challenge here? All you need to do is wait, mash your buttons to cast your skills/spells... profit! The 2 things that were truly challenging were the Wurms and the Silverwastes. And even then, the Silverwastes usually had big groups at certain times so you'd just hop in on the train and you wouldn't even need to know what the boss does. Just spam. Seriously, I hardly even recall what the bosses did, except for the Wurms.

... Wow, didn't mean it to be a rent! Sheesh, I really am cranky tonight, sorry guys :nifty:
To end on a good note, regardless of my experience, the music was always on point, not too obtrusive, and that's something I appreciate in my MMOs.
Dunno, i think they did decently with the content dificulty... except for the single player campaigns.

I have to admit that the first battles against tequatl where pretty hearth pumping, but honestly i think that open world cotent needs to be easiy, world bosses now are even easier than before but this is fine, it's ok to be a challange that anyone could just hop in. as for more specilized openworld content , some bounties really hit the spot where you could still complete them with parties of 5 but scaled decently enough that if people didn't understood teh mechanichs of said bounties, even with 50 people the bounty could still fail.

And fractals were pretty good in teh sense than they had a lore reason for content that you repeat lots of time, and you had tiers for people that wanted to play low pressure-was learning the mechanichs of said dungeon, to teh highest tiers where people needed to be competent in order to what they did. Also some of the (raids 10 player instanced content) were a little too challenging in teh sense that at least 8 of teh 10 players needed to know exactly how to do it or it would fail, leaving guilds having to run training runs and stuff...

As for challenging group content.. while it has its problems, at least in a baseline level World vs World can be pretty fun, if you understand when to fight and when to not.

What it has bored me of teh main campaign is it's whole militaristic approach and constant the world is in jeopardy situation, that doesn't blend at all with content that needs to be able to be completed even by people that arent too good at videogames alone. plus it's approach to more dialogue, but at the same time teh need to cater to teh power fantasy that you are teh hero, leds to teh development of a pretty bland character in teh commander (that needed to fit in any character archetype) and content that while needs to look urgent and epic... at teh same time have to water itself down with false challenges in order to make it beatable.

On teh other hand, that narrative worked amazing with content that you needed the whole map to achieve, and teh first expansion , while being criticed for being too difucult that exploring alone was kinda of a suicide, managed to present great narratiive while abandoning teh power fantasy that you were some kind of special hero and instead treats you as a solider following orders and struggling against all odds. (and at the same time synergizes beatifully whit what most of teh players were doing thats basically following commands from people that understood teh event and needing to traverse teh map achieving various objectives aginst clock) The mouth of modremoth was a way harder boss to beat than the single player Hearth of modremoth, but it was a waaaay more engaging experience.

This is my main reason why i'm so sick of that singleplayer narrative of you as teh special saviour hero that they sadly have locked themselves now as the players expect the continuation of the commander adventures that the have invested so much tiem on them. and a new game opens teh possibility to stand anew another kinda of narrative, one which i hope that focus its single player campaign more on daily events and dramas (like yakuza, or witcher side quests, i mean.. not because they arent epic menas that they have to be unengaging and poorly written) that focus more on worldbuilding, and let the power fantasy to where it belongs, like instanced dungeons (with difficulty settings, like fractals). Its' not like they have a whole lore friendly dimension for that... (the mists)

/mini rant

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Things I like about Guild Wars 2:
  • No holy trinity-All classes are viable in general play (Except the Elementalist I guess) so you can actually have fun with them.
  • All story missions are soloable unless you're fighting the Mouth of Zaitan with a melee character.
  • The dye and wardrobe systems are amazing.
Things I dislike about Guild Wars 2:
  • If something cool happens in the story then only the instance owner gets to take part. Everyone else is a bubble that doesn't do anything useful.
  • Outfits are dumb. Let us pick and choose like we can with our other armour!
  • The Skyscale mount collections were literally a few month's worth of padding if you didn't play everyday. It was awful.
I kinda miss the multiclassing though. Being a Ranger/Necromancer was cool. Don't miss the stupid Wind Riders in the Maguma Jungle though hate those things with a passion.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
The player-centered story was a good concept but its execution was sadly way harder than they expected, giving it this watered-down feeling. No matter who you are, it's all the same in the end. A new game could definitely fix the narrative for you, the movesets for me. What I loved doing the most was challenging myself, trying to solo stuff and guiding newer players, usually through the annoying missions. I almost never had to help players in GW2. Those I did, it was a good time but if it was about bounties... I just couldn't help on my lonesome. Hated that feeling of knowing we had 0% chance of winning despite having beaten the bounty numerous times before, no matter how well I played, no matter if I dodged everything the bounty threw at me.

I'm with you in hoping they release a Guild Wars 3.

As for music, a lot of it is more ambient, but there are some tunes that have stood out to me:
  • Overture (The original Main theme for Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2)
  • Fear Not This Night (An amazing vocal track that seems to be the main theme of the Sylvari)
  • Sunny Glade (Super Adventure Box World 1-1)
  • Temple of Tolerance (A melodious piece that plays in Kryta in both games.)
  • That freaking theme that always plays in Kryta but I can never find it online.
Holy cow, that song! I can't tell you how many times I've listened to it in a loop.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I will never get over the fact that the legitimate canon reason Doom Slayer is able to survive everything he has is because he's just too damn pissed off to die.

10/10 lore.
I'm pretty sure one Wario Land bio about Wario himself states the reason he hasn't been killed by all the crazy stuff that has attacked him up to this point simply because he 'doesn't feel like dying right now'.

1570770561504.png

Kind of makes his getting killed by Galeem all the more ironic...

I think Chrom getting his chance another day was actually my favourite reveal too. Seeing him get screwed last time really made that victory all the sweeter.

It also helps that I became a fan of Chrom between Sm4sh and Ultimate thanks to Warriors and replaying Awakening
I really liked Chrom’s reveal because it truly emphasized the transition from Smash 4 to Ultimate with Chrom getting his chance. It also proved me right when it came to speculating about Chrom being in the game after Ike not having his Chrom alt and Robin suspiciously being avoided by Smash marketing. Awakening/Chrom certainly aren’t my favorite when it comes to FE stuff, but I couldn’t help from genuinely smiling when Id Purpose’s trumpets blared as Chrom landed on Castle Siege.
One of two FE characters (the other being Roy) whose inclusion I screamed in joy for. Still really salty his Palutena's Guidance in Ultimate didn't acknowledge the shade Palutena and Viridi threw at him in Smash 4, but at least he gets to take on Palutena.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
OR... now hear me out, it all leads to a Granblue Fantasy Versus Switch port announcement, coupled with a Katalina Smash reveal.

I'm kidding (sorta), but even if nothing happens, we still got more Kunio, so it's a win/win.

Though I love this beat 'em up Renaissance. We're still getting Streets of Rage 4, too. Partake in the hype, Capcom. Mama needs a new Battle Circut (or Final Fight)!

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Most hype reveals for me were :ultisabelle: and Terry (why do we still not have a Terry flair?). Honestly I can't think of that many characters that would get me as excited as these two did.
I agree that Terry was the most hype reveal for me, a part of it was that I wasn't sure if the SNK Leak was real so I withheld judgement until 9/4 and when it turned out to be true I was happy. (Although I did indulged in spectulation of what would happen if an SNK rep was in Smash before I watched the reveal trailer.)

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
OR... now hear me out, it all leads to a Granblue Fantasy Versus Switch port announcement, coupled with a Katalina Smash reveal.

I'm kidding (sorta), but even if nothing happens, we still got more Kunio, so it's a win/win.

Though I love this beat 'em up Renaissance. We're still getting Streets of Rage 4, too. Partake in the hype, Capcom. Mama needs a new Battle Circut (or Final Fight)!
Good taste.

Luigi The President Luigi The President would be happy and I'd love to see it if only for her reaction.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It would be so funny if after all this Katalina was real.

I don't play Granblue but I am absolutely picking up GBFVS because I love ArcSys and I know my friend who loves GBF would go crazy if she got in.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At least everyone will be satified otherwise since we'd have an female in the Pass.

Not like that Kazooie technically counts amIrite?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
At least everyone will be satified otherwise since we'd have an female in the Pass.

Not like that Kazooie technically counts amIrite?
Considering people only ever acknowledge Kazooie to say "Shut up about wanting women in Smash" and when talking about Banjo only ever acknowledge the bear, no, the almighty blade of Sir Banjolemew the seventeenth doesn't count

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Definitely agree.

Anyway, what's this I hear about Katalina?
There was an old, totally non-credible rumor back before we know who was in the Fighters Pass that Nintendo was in talks with CyGames to get a character, believed to be Katalina, and the salt was both hilarious and ridiculous.

I just think it'd be really funny if it came true in the end after all the fear mongering. A lady knight with a rapier and ice powers sounds fun to me and my friend showed me a bunch of the comics and events with her and they were all genuinely very funny.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
How popular is Katalina's franchise exactly? West and East?

What's her franchises legacy?
****ing MASSIVE everywhere that isn't the west, basically the biggest mobile game going. Has an English translation officially but you have to go through Japanese registration to access it. Art and music are done by former Final Fantasy people, composer Nobuo Uematsu does music for it. Has an ArcSys fighting game coming soon which also has a dungeon crawler mode in it. Katalina herself has a Platinum-developed action RPG coming too. CyGames and Nintendo also have a working relationship thanks to codeveloping Dragalia Lost.

Like, it's not happening, but it's like League of Legends or Valve in that it's a voice in the conversation.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
****ing MASSIVE everywhere that isn't the west, basically the biggest mobile game going. Has an English translation officially but you have to go through Japanese registration to access it. Art and music are fine by former Final Fantasy people, composer Nobuo Uematsu does music for it. Has an ArcSys fighting game coming soon which also has a dungeon crawler mode in it. Katalina herself has a Platinum-developed action RPG coming too. CyGames and Nintendo also have a working relationship thanks to codeveloping Dragalia Lost.

Like, it's not happening, but it's like League of Legends or Valve in that it's a voice in the conversation.

Yup I can see her.

Won't doubt her possibility being DLC fighter 5 or post-Pass.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I honestly have no idea why Katalina would get in before Euden.

Like Granblue is a big thing in the East but not only is Dragalia a new IP Nintendo would likely want to use Smash to get more people playing, he's also more prevalent in international territories besides Europe for some reason.

So yeah dunno why she'd get in before him ngl.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Yup I can see her.

Won't doubt her possibility being DLC fighter 5 or post-Pass.
I don't see this being a possibility unless Katalina, the character is really, REALLY popular in Japan and Sakurai puts her in regardless of her obscurity in the west. Even then, she isn't the main protagonist of the game. If anything if a Granblue Fantasy character actually gets in, It'll most likely be the avatar characters Gran and Djeeta.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
basically the biggest mobile game going.
This is actually not true. The biggest mobile game in terms of revenue is Fate Grand Order, which achieved a gross of 3 billion dollars worldwide. The difference in popularity between Fate and Granblue is so astronomical that it's not even a contest.

I honestly have no idea why Katalina would get in before Euden.

Like Granblue is a big thing in the East but not only is Dragalia a new IP Nintendo would likely want to use Smash to get more people playing, he's also more prevalent in international territories besides Europe for some reason.

So yeah dunno why she'd get in before him ngl.
Because Dragalia Lost hasn't achieved the same success as Granblue Fantasy. Dragalia is published by Nintendo but it's an incredibly small name compared to Granblue Fantasy, which is getting all kinds of content lately. If Nintendo wants to collaborate with Cygames for a Smash character then I can very well see them using their biggest jewel for it.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Because Dragalia Lost hasn't achieved the same success as Granblue Fantasy. Dragalia is published by Nintendo but it's an incredibly small name compared to Granblue Fantasy, which is getting all kinds of content lately. If Nintendo wants to collaborate with Cygames for a Smash character then I can very well see them using their biggest jewel for it.
...But Dragalia is something mostly available worldwide and it's also something they own, why would they go for a third-party unknown in most parts of the world?

It's definitely more of a gamble imo if they do that.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
...But Dragalia is something mostly available worldwide and it's also something they own, why would they go for a third-party unknown in most parts of the world?

It's definitely more of a gamble imo if they do that.
You're confusing ease of availability with popularity. Dragalia Lost is more easily available but it's even more unknown than Granblue Fantasy. And if I'm honest I can only see the fanbase of Granblue growing even bigger now that it's getting more new games. If anything Dragalia is a bigger gamble since it's future outlook is not certain and it's cursed to live behind the shadows of Granblue.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Heya, other than Pokemon and playable characters that you can create, how likely is an female skin?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You're confusing ease of availability with popularity. Dragalia Lost is more easily available but it's even more unknown than Granblue Fantasy. And if I'm honest I can only see the fanbase of Granblue growing even bigger now that it's getting more new games. If anything Dragalia is a bigger gamble since it's future outlook is not certain and it's cursed to live behind the shadows of Granblue.
I don't see what you mean, Dragalia has been Nintendo's second most successful mobile game ever and for a new IP it's done pretty well in terms of downloads and revenue, it has much more potential to grow and Smash could give it the extra push that it needs while with Granblue it's a bigger gamble because most of the world doesn't know what a Granblue is besides Japan and Nintendo doesn't really get much benefit from it if it doesn't sell because they don't own Granblue.

That's why I think Dragalia is by far the better option in this instance.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I don't see what you mean, Dragalia has been Nintendo's second most successful mobile game ever and for a new IP it's done pretty well in terms of downloads and revenue, it has much more potential to grow and Smash could give it the extra push that it needs while with Granblue it's a bigger gamble because most of the world doesn't know what a Granblue is besides Japan and Nintendo doesn't really get much benefit from it if it doesn't sell because they don't own Granblue.

Depends by what metric you're basing it on.
1570806946964.png
According to this graph, after the first month, Dragalia Lost actually has the lowest amount of downloads, but they're a dedicated bunch who spends a lot of money. And according to this article https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-01-pok-mon-masters-grosses-usd33-3m-in-first-month, Pokemon Masters as of Oct. 1 (approx. 1 month) has accumulated 12 million downloads and over 33.3 million dollars in revenue, beating out even Mario Run. So...Dragalia Lost is not Nintendo's second best.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Depends by what metric you're basing it on.
According to this graph, after the first month, Dragalia Lost actually has the lowest amount of downloads, but they're a dedicated bunch who spends a lot of money. And according to this article https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-10-01-pok-mon-masters-grosses-usd33-3m-in-first-month, Pokemon Masters as of Oct. 1 (approx. 1 month) has accumulated 12 million downloads and over 33.3 million dollars in revenue, beating out even Mario Run. So...Dragalia Lost is not Nintendo's second best.
This is only from the game's first month and also Pokemon Masters is technically TPC and not Nintendo.

I'll have to pull up the updated graph later but from what I remember currently in terms of revenue it's only behind Fire Emblem Heroes.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I think we're going in a circle here. What I'm trying to say is that even though Dragalia Lost is a new Nintendo IP developed by Cygames, it's not Cygames biggest IP, and it's a very new game in this market. Granblue is the pride and joy of Cygames and it's their flagship title. Which is why Granblue from a business decision would attract a bigger audience than Dragalia. It's not like gacha games are even mainstream outside of Japan, there's a reason why Japan is the biggest market for this type of stuff, and it's because they are the biggest consumers of mobile gaming.

Nintendo has been targeting new audiences from new genres and games through Smash's DLC. If Nintendo ever decided to tap into the mobile game market then I could see them picking Fate or Granblue because they're the big fish in this pond. However, I do acknowledge that Nintendo could very well pick Dragalia Lost in an attempt to advertise and shill the game. But that hasn't been the mindset for Nintendo throughout the DLC cycle (not yet at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom