• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Attention and getting dummies to kick and scream at each other going "No, this HAS to be fake!" or "NO IT'S REAL I TELL YOU". Like idk, 7 characters supposedly being leaked before the game came out
dont call people who believed in the grinch leak out like this

Grinch leak had the greatest roster of all time lol
debatable, no terry no buy

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I feel, the reason why people want Waluigi, Toad/Toadette, & Geno is so Smash can complete the Mario section of the roster. Even though it's bloated enough as it is. Seriously...we have to freaking count the Kooplings as part of the roster.
Personally I want Toad because Wario's Woods was my jam as a kid, he was my personal choice in SMB2 with his great speed and power and Captain Toad is a fantastic little title IMO. Oh and he's my favourite Mario Karter by a landslide.

Plus he's very much a core Mario character so yeah it does feel weird without him to me. There probably is some who feel he is needed just for completion's sake but Toad has a strong fanbase in general with the Mario fanbase else Captain Toad wouldn't have been made off the success and positive response to the 3D World minigame and people wouldn't have flipped out when it appeared Toad had been cut from Mario Kart Double Dash.

Daisy, Waluigi, Pauline and Rosalina are nice to have but not the most vital core cast members and I say that as someone who really likes the majority of those characters. Does feel weird to have Daisy without Waluigi these days but that's mostly due to the spinoffs making the two feel like counterparts. Again there's probably an element of completion for Waluigi with Daisy and Rosalina in.

Geno, however, isn't completing the Mario roster in any way. He has never been a vital member of the Mario crew that it feels weird when he's omitted, he's just a character people really like.
And that's fine. He's just definitely not any part of 'completing' the Mario roster.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Hi, this is very late, but speaking as a Dixie Kong fan, please disregard anyone who make a competition out of who is more """deserving""" of a Nintendo character not added to the game yet. On some level, we do think she deserves a spot, and it's okay to believe that she's that deserving, but we generally avoid being confrontational or hierarchical when it comes to ranking her importance "above" other potential newcomers. We know that's not cool.

Also, saying you know that saying "deserving" will "trigger" people and declaring you don't care is real ****ty. Don't ever use "trigger" in any context other than when describing sensitive content that could potentially activate someone's PTSD, that's just being an unlikable edgelord. "Bothered" or "annoyed" are better terms to use.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Hi, this is very late, but speaking as a Dixie Kong fan, please disregard anyone who make a competition out of who is more """deserving""" of a Nintendo character not added to the game yet. On some level, we do think she deserves a spot, and it's okay to believe that she's that deserving, but we generally avoid being confrontational or hierarchical when it comes to ranking her importance "above" other potential newcomers. We know that's not cool.

Also, saying you know that saying "deserving" will "trigger" people and declaring you don't care is real ****ty. Don't ever use "trigger" in any context other than when describing sensitive content that could potentially activate someone's PTSD, that's just being an unlikable edgelord. "Bothered" or "annoyed" are better terms to use.
bruh im literally talking about adding a monkey to a videogame and you hit me w a harry potter book. "dixie fans" arent some political party. simmer down

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Since Red Dead Redemption 2 is getting a PC release...

Arthur Morgan for Smash? :4pacman:

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
I'm honestly baffled as to why people like making fake leaks. Whether to test our intelligence or just wanting to add supporters. I mean, what's the point of making such fake news?
If I had to take a wild guess, making leaks probably derives from their own personal enjoyment and longing for attention (despite most being anonymous). Most of them are also trolls and find it hilarious to mess with people during such an anxious time. DLC periods is when many people search far and wide for information regarding the possibility of their favorite characters making it in. This is what leakers capitalize off of; similar to YouTube channels with Smash content like LaxChris and Blocked Content.

im sorry..... whos Terry?
C'mon man. He's talkin' about Terry Crews.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If I had to take a wild guess, making leaks probably derives from their own personal enjoyment and longing for attention (despite most being anonymous). Most of them are also trolls and find it hilarious to mess with people during such an anxious time. DLC periods is when many people search far and wide for information regarding the possibility of their favorite characters making it in. This is what leakers capitalize off of; similar to YouTube channels with Smash content like LaxChris and Blocked Content.

C'mon man. He's talkin' about Terry Crews.
Terry Crews would never get in Smash before Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher

I don't get why it's so hard to understand that fans of a good game want characters they like in their funny party game.

Three Houses is a game I enjoyed immensely and I'm fond of the characters. Therefore, I want Byleth or a house leader in the game. It's not for "Fire Emblem representation", it's for "Three Houses representation". They're not someone I'm dying to see added but they're someone I'd be very happy to see in.

I'm barely even a Fire Emblem fan. I've played most of Awakening, a large chunk of Echoes, and some of Path of Radiance and that's pretty much it. TH was the first one I've been absolutely obsessed with and it's because it's just that good. So the "you have seven reps!" argument is bull**** because, like, I don't. Sure I like the Awakening guys enough and have nostalgia for Marth, Roy, and Ike, but they're hardly "my" characters like Byleth or a house leader would be.

Also this video is a pretty excellent breakdown of all the TH-specific things Byleth could bring to the table. Getting a character I like with a genuinely cool moveset like this would be awesome.
I was about to post ????????????? ????????????? 's video lol, it's really well done (moveset concepts like this are a very interesting take on Smash speculation imo, i mean it gives people a concrete idea on how the character would actually feel like in the game, an aspect of potential newcomers that is not often discussed).

I like how he points out that Fire Emblem should be treated similarly to Pokemon in term of their representation in Smash (in response to the 'too many FE characters'' argument). Both franchises offer a huge pool of characters to choose from and this pool is just getting bigger everytime there's a new entry in the series (compared to let's say... the Legend of Zelda franchise). For people who like the series, it's just natural to see it represented in Smash by a more recent character. I mean, Marth and Roy are cool and all but they don't represent modern FE, in the same way that a Gen 1 Pokemon wouldn't be the best choice to represent a brand new Pokemon game.

But yeah. tbh i kind of get the idea that people want rep. from different series in Smash, i'm not against it at all. What i don't understand tho is people using the number of FE characters in Smash to justify their claim for more rep. of X series (e.g. ''Zelda needs another rep because FE has 7 figthers in Smash'').

Anyway, personally, i'm already pretty happy with the roster and i'd welcome any character as long as they have an interesting moveset. I just think that Fire Emblem is a great series with tons of great characters, their reps in Smash are fun to play, well portrayed and i really don't get all the hate it is getting (i suspect that people are simply struggling to deal with disjointed hitboxes and are misplacing their frustrations on the whole FE series :p)

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
Yikes, I just thought about Sin and Punishment. Series like that makes me wish Nintendo messed around with their lesser known stuff more. Star Destroyer was so fun; there was a time I thought Saki was a shoo-in. He's not even an assist anymore. I think the same thing can be said about Andy and Sami.

Profound sadness. D:
Saki missing the boat hurts my soul everytime I think about it...
Smash Bros introduced me to the Sin & Punishment games. Now that Treasure has closed its doors, I fear we may never see Saki or his son, Isa, as playable characters in Smash.

...At least Saki is a Mii Costume so there is a silver lining.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly baffled as to why people like making fake leaks. Whether to test our intelligence or just wanting to add supporters. I mean, what's the point of making such fake news?
Ah, well -- there is the old adage of say something enough times, and it shall eventually come true, and what have you. Most are certainly just doing it for an easy rise of out people, some quick 15min of viral fame, that sort of thing. But, you know... it is also possible that they, too, really want choices a, b, or z -- and by hyping it up as a "Guess what ya'll, i got some BIG NEWS," it helps them believe in it that much more.

Also, that fractional chance that they nail a prediction for people to come back to later and be all "Man, we should have listened to them, they nailed this one from the beginning!", so. The reasons are certainly plentiful. If only the actual evidence for the leaks were plentiful, too, aye? :ultduckhunt:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I've had the opportunity to play Super Mario RPG recently and I think I understand why Geno dwarfs Mallow. Geno is super cool and he's got guns and stuff while Mallow...cries a lot and does no damage without spending precious FP and is outclassed by the other party members. The "Mallow learns he's not a frog" scene is (likely unintentionally) hilarious though. They play the sad music and everything while the player's going "lol Mallow's an idiot".
I mean that’s understandable but it still doesn’t make the other points I made about him go away at the same time.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I've had the opportunity to play Super Mario RPG recently and I think I understand why Geno dwarfs Mallow. Geno is super cool and he's got guns and stuff while Mallow...cries a lot and does no damage without spending precious FP and is outclassed by the other party members. The "Mallow learns he's not a frog" scene is (likely unintentionally) hilarious though. They play the sad music and everything while the player's going "lol Mallow's an idiot".
Mallow gets character development in the Cloud People chapter though.

I'd pick Mallow over Geno any day of the week, don't @ me.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I was referring to Daisy against all other characters.
The issue was that Daisy had different/wrong knockback on her Turnips, this would have been obvious had they compared Peach's and Daisy's Turnips' knockback on any single character, including Peach or Daisy. So no other character had to be involved in order to find this flaw.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
My unpopular opinion:
Sakurai's interest in adding Geno as a playable fighter evaporated after the inclusion of Megaman and Mii Gunner.
That explains the Geno Mii costume that included in Smash 4.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
What you personally think doesn't change how game development works.

Not making a few models won't magically give you time to design and animate a brand new character.
You'd be surprised exactly how much actually goes into developing a fully new character

Iirc, Sakurai has actually said that the development time of the 6 Melee clones would still not have been enough to make another entirely new character
There are a lot of echoes, clones, and semi-clones in Smash now. There must be some number (whether it's been reached or not) of them that could be sacrificed for a character with an original moveset.
Riesz, from Trials of Mana (aka Seiken Densetsu 3). Beloved character no one had even thought about despite being stupidly popular even today.
It's cool to see someone mention her unprompted. She's one of the characters I found looking for characters who use a whip sword.

I feel like that's a bit of a weak argument when we have characters like:

Peach: Resident damsel in distress and playable only in spinoffs
Daisy: likewise
Zelda: likewise
Isabelle: Primarily a peaceful desk accountant. First playable in Mario Kart of all games.

and probably the most egregious example of all, a piranha plant, who isn't even an enemy so much as it is a stage hazard.
It's only a weak argument if the conclusion is that such characters are less likely to get in.
Nobody is voicing it as a rule. Just as a reason why it SHOULDN'T happen. And that much holds. PP WASN'T important enough and SHOULDN'T have been in the roster. And just because Nintendo made a terrible pick doesn't make it okay to have more terrible picks.

Is it ALLOWED to happen again? Of course. SHOULD it keep happening? No.
I don't get why it's so hard to understand that fans of a good game want characters they like in their funny party game.

Three Houses is a game I enjoyed immensely and I'm fond of the characters. Therefore, I want Byleth or a house leader in the game. It's not for "Fire Emblem representation", it's for "Three Houses representation". They're not someone I'm dying to see added but they're someone I'd be very happy to see in.

I'm barely even a Fire Emblem fan. I've played most of Awakening, a large chunk of Echoes, and some of Path of Radiance and that's pretty much it. TH was the first one I've been absolutely obsessed with and it's because it's just that good. So the "you have seven reps!" argument is bull**** because, like, I don't. Sure I like the Awakening guys enough and have nostalgia for Marth, Roy, and Ike, but they're hardly "my" characters like Byleth or a house leader would be.

Also this video is a pretty excellent breakdown of all the TH-specific things Byleth could bring to the table. Getting a character I like with a genuinely cool moveset like this would be awesome.
People really need to get used to pronouncing 'Byleth' like the demon. https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/byleth#Etymology_and_other_languages
The support thread calls her "The Last Nintendo All-Star" in the title.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
My unpopular opinion:
Sakurai's interest in adding Geno as a playable fighter evaporated after the inclusion of Megaman and Mii Gunner.
If only it worked like that way with FE (and the like) swordsmen…

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
My unpopular opinion:
never say never.

krools trailer trolled us with his mii costume

banjos trailer trolled us w duck hunt

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
My unpopular opinion:
I don't think so, he seemed like he'd still be interested when he talked about the costume.

And Geno's moves are unique from Mii Gunner's (and clearly Mega Man's).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
My unpopular opinion:
Oh good lord could you imagine?

Sakurai: Man I wish I could have Geno.
Nintendo: Hey Sakurai! Can you make Megaman work?
Sakurai: Who's Geno?

Thus Megaman appears in character trailers the most which made me think Sakurai really liked Megaman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom