• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ze9

Smash Ace
I love how you only further proved his argument by completely ignoring it
Pedantic remarks aren't going to make anyone want even more Fire Emblem characters.
Be happy with the SEVEN you have. The Romans considered it the number representing abundance, you know.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
At the time of her inclusion, she only had Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, and a cameo in Galaxy 2. Mario Kart 8, 3D World, and any other game after those three had no impact on her inclusion given she was decided in 2012.
With that logic how does that mean Waluigi should be in if he's only in Spinoffs? He debuted in Mario Tennis therefore his Assist Trophy is represented that way and it's completely fine. Rosalina is still a main character in Galaxy, and even a playable character in mainline games.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Although I'm not a fan of the Witcher games (they never clicked), the lore seems interesting enough and Geralt (who my sister calls white-haired Marth lol) had neat cameos in SoulCal (which introduced me to a great song called Hunt or Be Hunted) and Monster Hunter. Witcher 3 is critically acclaimed as heck. I already explained why him and/or Ciri could easily be exceptions to the video game origin rule a couple of days ago, so I'm going to ignore that. With this in mind, I'm surprised more people aren't hyping them up. Anyone here a fan of the series? As aforementioned, I'm not, but I definitely wouldn't mind one or both of them being in. I might look for the support thread for more insight. What kind of moveset what Geralt or Ciri have? Stages,? Songs? That sort of thing.

I can see a character like Geralt kicking off post-season 1 DLC and the internet exploding as a result.
I don't like Witcher but I can't deny that it's an instant classic and I have a friend who would piss himself with happiness so I support Geralt.
Which Nintendo character deserves a spot over Dixie? Im all ears
Toad and Waluigi I'd say, just because they're more recognizable. But you can't get much higher than Dixie.
I can agree on Waluigi never having a chance in Smash Bros, but mostly because I feel like there are much better options to go with. Meanwhile Waluigi is only memed on and not many people legitimately want him.

Cue 50 quote replies of "I want Waluigi"
I want Waluigi.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Also, are we seriously throwing around the term "deserves" unironically?

C'mon guys, we're better than this
We deserve better.

I doubt it.

Mostly because of the obvious fact that that's a LOT of characters to put in, but also due to the fact that the slots for DLC characters isn't even consistent with the slots for World of Light, so obviously they're not really planning this 14-12 characters into the future.
Dunno... WoL slots and attack string's inconsistencies can hopefully be explained, it's a small difference between the two. I guess the placeholders can just be erased in the end, but I dunno how long we'll still get support for Ultimate in that case.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Another unpopular opinion. I despise. People portraying characters with blades as....' just another typical anime swordsman' as well as the REALLY unneeded hate for Fire Emblem characters. People have absolutely no problem with Link yet every other sword character is hated to oblivion, and Mario is SUPPOSED to be privileged to have every single ****king character in the Mario series to be a fighter because it's the face of Nintendo. I get it. But saying FE has too many characters bloating the roster when they have 7 fighters and Mario got just about almost every main character in the series........it infuriates me. Mario doesn't deserve hate, far from it, but neither does Fire Emblem...like my god. Funny thing is, should a Three Houses rep make into Smash at some point in the future, people'll just complain and complain and complain because it's 'just another Fire Emblem character' like WHY is it such a big deal? Even the more unique characters :ultcorrin:THIS guy, for example, gets more hate than ANYONE on the franchise, so people'll just complain and complain no matter what character it is

I went on a tangent, it's a topic like this that just...infuriates me to no end. But what can you do?
While the Corrin hate is largely unwarranted, I understand why it exists. He was a blatant corporate promoton pick from a game that was already controversial before its release in the West. Since then, Fates has gone on to become the most divisive and disliked game in the entire Fire Emblem franchise, so it's not even like time has helped. I think most of it has passed, but I can understand why Corrin is as disliked as he is. I think if he'd been a base roster pick for Ultimate things would have gone over slightly better.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Walks up to microphone

Tap tap

Geno from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System should be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch.

He is not guaranteed, and not everyone will agree, but I like Geno. You are free to your opinions.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
While the Corrin hate is largely unwarranted, I understand why it exists. He was a blatant corporate promoton pick from a game that was already controversial before its release in the West. Since then, Fates has gone on to become the most divisive and disliked game in the entire Fire Emblem franchise, so it's not even like time has helped. I think most of it has passed, but I can understand why Corrin is as disliked as he is. I think if he'd been a base roster pick for Ultimate things would have gone over slightly better.
Considering how old Fates is and 3H being planned to release 2 years ago, Corrin had their best shot at an assist for base game had they not been in Smash

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He debuted in Mario Tennis therefore his Assist Trophy is represented that way and it's completely fine.
I feel like that's a bit of a weak argument when we have characters like:

Peach: Resident damsel in distress and playable only in spinoffs
Daisy: likewise
Zelda: likewise
Isabelle: Primarily a peaceful desk accountant. First playable in Mario Kart of all games.

and probably the most egregious example of all, a piranha plant, who isn't even an enemy so much as it is a stage hazard.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
With that logic how does that mean Waluigi should be in if he's only in Spinoffs? He debuted in Mario Tennis therefore his Assist Trophy is represented that way and it's completely fine. Rosalina is still a main character in Galaxy, and even a playable character in mainline games.
I think you're missing my point. Back in the days of early Smash 4 speculation, the prevailing view was that Mario didn't need more than just Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser because all the bases were covered. Those who disagreed thought Bowser Jr. and Toad were the only viable options, especially because at that point in time people viewed Rosalina as a one hit wonder. Rosalina and Waluigi BOTH got hit by the "not important enough" viewpoint. So when Rosalina got in despite that, it made Waluigi support grow even more.

That and Mario is a franchise where you absolutely can't write off the spin offs as unimportant. The Mario Kart series alone outsells the vast majority of series on the roster, first party OR third party.

Pedantic remarks aren't going to make anyone want even more Fire Emblem characters.
Be happy with the SEVEN you have. The Romans considered it the number representing abundance, you know.
In that case, be happy with all of the characters you have now. At the end of the Fighter Pass we'll have 82.

This isn't an argument. My most wanted newcomer is a Fire Emblem character and that's not gonna change just because you don't like it.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm just going to copy-paste something I said in the Geno thread because it will always need to be repeated.

FE fans don't love these characters because of how they play in Smash or how "important" they are compared to other series who lack more representation.

We love these characters because they're damn good characters (Except you :ultcorrinf: go back to your corner)

I think that's part of the appeal people tend to miss here. FE characters are far more beloved for their writing than their classes or fighting styles. It's arguably the most story-driven series of all the playable series on the roster, with obvious honorable mentions like Xenoblade and Persona and the absolute beast of story telling that is Metal Gear. Even then, those series are NOT as character driven as FE tends to be.

FE isn't a traditional RPG. At least, in the sense of how it presents itself. It's not open world, and with the odd exception of Hubs and things like Echoes/Gaiden's dungeons. It's mission to mission gameplay, and when it's not, it's almost ALL story. You get really really attached to these guys and girls, I would argue even moreso than RPGs I prefer to FE.

My point is FE is more about the characters themselves than how they fight. Is it a bit overdone in Smash? Maybe. Could it use more weapon/fighting style variety? Probably. Is my reasoning an excuse? Eh. But at the same time there's not a single character there I'd ever dream of getting rid of because I love them that much, and the same can be said for other fans as well.

Except :ultcorrinf:.
Get out, :ultcorrinf:.
(I'm kidding corrin mains/fans please don't attac)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm just going to copy-paste something I said in the Geno thread because it will always need to be repeated.

FE fans don't love these characters because of how they play in Smash or how "important" they are compared to other series who lack more representation.

We love these characters because they're damn good characters (Except you :ultcorrinf: go back to your corner)

I think that's part of the appeal people tend to miss here. FE characters are far more beloved for their writing than their classes or fighting styles. It's arguably the most story-driven series of all the playable series on the roster, with obvious honorable mentions like Xenoblade and Persona and the absolute beast of story telling that is Metal Gear. Even then, those series are NOT as character driven as FE tends to be.

FE isn't a traditional RPG. At least, in the sense of how it presents itself. It's not open world, and with the odd exception of Hubs and things like Echoes/Gaiden's dungeons. It's mission to mission gameplay, and when it's not, it makes up for it with story. You get really really attached to these guys and girls, I would argue even moreso than RPGs I prefer to FE.

My point is FE is more about the characters themselves than how they fight. Is it a bit overdone in Smash? Maybe. Could it use more weapon/fighting style variety? Probably. Is my reasoning an excuse? Eh. But at the same time there's not a single character there I'd ever dream of getting rid of because I love them that much, and the same can be said for other fans as well.

Except :ultcorrinf:.
Get out, :ultcorrinf:.
Ok but Dorothea Fire Emblem stole my wife and my life has been in shambles since

KatKit

Smash Lord
One of my favorite franchises! Would love a Tekken rep, especially Heihachi! or Alisa
Since Alisa has rocket punches, jet boosters, ballerina fighting moves, a removable exploding head that instantly replaces itself, a fully rotatable torso, and two chainsaw arms, she's obviously mechanically (no pun intended) more interesting than almost the entire Tekken cast (TTag2's Kunimitsu is also pretty bonkers, e.g.), so I'd love to see her as well (or Lili because I can dream, darn it!). But fortunately, settling for Heihachi (or one of his kin) isn't the worst thing ever. Any Tekken rep would be hype.

On a related note, us ArcSys fans have it made with our fighting game protags. They go out of their way to avoid making them generic lol. I don't main Sol or Ragna, but I still know they're cool as heck.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Man you'd think people would stop voicing "not important enough" as a rule when we have :ultpiranha: in the roster. I guess people will still hold on to meaningless fan-rules just to gatekeep characters they don't like.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Skull Kid (who lets be honest, people want the Majora's Mask)
I don't. I'm fine with him wearing the mask and maybe having some minor purple energy magic, but I want Skull Kid free from the mask's influence. I don't want any crazy **** from the final battle with Majora's Mask.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From what I understand things were stacked up against Corrin; The Fire Emblem community hates it for having cardboard for a personality, and the Smash community didn't want it in the first place.

I'd like to state that rude remarks aren't automatically wrong. They aren't pleasant and I don't encourage them but they shouldn't be immediately discarded unless they don't add much to the conversation. Anyway, carry on with your conversation.

Ok but Dorothea Fire Emblem stole my wife and my life has been in shambles since
Corrin took the kids?

Why is Male Corrin so hated?
Because his quotes are uninteresting/not delivered as well as female Corrin's. Also he's not sexy.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Man you'd think people would stop voicing "not important enough" as a rule when we have :ultpiranha: in the roster. I guess people will still hold on to meaningless fan-rules just to gatekeep characters they don't like.
Those who cling to unreasonable ideals of fan rules must be eliminated

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
playable Lyn
Ah, finally, someone said it.

Sixteen years aaaaaaaaand counting.
sad lyn.png

I just don't like Dimitri. I admittedly haven't played Blue Lions yet and am putting it on hold to prevent burn out after the other 2 house routes took nearly 90 hours but from what I got of him in the other routes, he's just a crazy murderer
Exactly!
dimitri fire.jpg
(Well actually he isn't, he's far far deeper than that and goes through the best character arc in the entire game, but it's not like anyone ever cares about characters beyond first impressions.)

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Except for the fact that Undertale has a huge following and have been wanting a character in Smash for a while? Doesn't even compare.
You can't seriously tell me that Waluigi, a Mario character with prominence (spin-offs or not), does not have a huge following and hasn't been wanted for longer than Sans even existed. I'm indifferent to Waluigi and his place in Smash, but c'mon.

As for FE characters we want based mainly on writing and less because of any other factor, when are we getting Bernadetta :sadsheep:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I see your Byleth and raise a further deal.

Byleth, Edelgard and Claude in Smash as playable characters
All the essentials of Three Houses. I can dig that.

We love these characters because they're damn good characters (Except you :ultroy: go back to your corner)

FE isn't a traditional RPG. At least, in the sense of how it presents itself. It's not open world, and with the odd exception of Hubs and things like Echoes/Gaiden's dungeons. It's mission to mission gameplay, and when it's not, it's almost ALL story. You get really really attached to these guys and girls, I would argue even moreso than RPGs I prefer to FE.

Except :ultroy:.
Get out, :ultroy:.
Fixed that for you.
For the record I don't think that Corrin's a good character in terms of writing and personality by any means, but by god what they have is still miles better than what Roy has

As for FE characters we want based mainly on writing and less because of any other factor, when are we getting Bernadetta :sadsheep:
Obviously never. She'd have to leave her room to join Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom