• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Skull Kid (who lets be honest, people want the Majora's Mask)
If they just wanted the mask, they wouldn't be so passionate about Skull Kid.

I'd like Skull Kid even if they gave him a moveset without the mask (though I guess he is mostly known for having it); I think it'd be cool if he used Majora with him, and Tatl & Tael, but he has cool stuff of his own and he is a good character imo. While some things he does in Majora's Mask are because of the mask's influence, it's still entirely his personality with the Mask just twisting him a bit. He even apologizes afterwards saying he thought the Giants didn't want to be his friends anymore, acting as if he was perfectly aware of what he was doing.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
I think you're missing my point. Back in the days of early Smash 4 speculation, the prevailing view was that Mario didn't need more than just Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser because all the bases were covered. Those who disagreed thought Bowser Jr. and Toad were the only viable options, especially because at that point in time people viewed Rosalina as a one hit wonder. Rosalina and Waluigi BOTH got hit by the "not important enough" viewpoint. So when Rosalina got in despite that, it made Waluigi support grow even more.

That and Mario is a franchise where you absolutely can't write off the spin offs as unimportant. The Mario Kart series alone outsells the vast majority of se
In that case, be happy with all of the characters you have now. At the end of the Fighter Pass we'll have 82.

This isn't an argument. My most wanted newcomer is a Fire Emblem character and that's not gonna change just because you don't like it.
Point me at where I said you shouldn't want a FE character, please.
If anything, you're the one who came to psycho-police my opinion. Defensive much? Maybe deep down you know too that they're already more than enough.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
its fun to see men in their 30 somethings do the funny face

View attachment 240767

Geno isn't really a legend or anything "iconic", he's a forgotten relic of a character people just wanna see back. Kinda like K. Rool. And that's fine, I guess. It hasn't stopped Sakurai before.

I mean, Smash basically got Kid Icarus revived. :pit:
Yeah I just really don’t see why we need him honestly.

He was a one-off character from a two decade old spin-off and his only other appearance had him get removed in the remake of said game he appeared in, he’s also not even the only original character from that game (Mallow also was) so I just don’t see why he’s such a special exception and quite frankly no one has really offered a good explanation as to why he would be.

At least K. Rool was the main villain of the first four Donkey Kong games and Banjo was the protagonist of one of Nintendo’s most beloved games from the fifth generation, Geno was from a spin-off outsourced to a third-party... That’s it lol.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Hey guys, any thoughts on the MOST REAL fake leaks for this game?
I wish I could provide more input, but I don't actively seek leaks out. Most of the ones I've seen were fishier than Zora's Domain and easy to debunk. The more accurate ones pop up like 2 days before we get info, so it's better to just wait and be surprised.

Though Nintendo leaking an SNK rep was wild. It wasn't a matter of 'if' but 'who?'

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If we want more characters with good writing, why not add Louie from Pikmin as an echo? He's got so much personality and lots of surprisingly good recipes to read.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Point me at where I said you shouldn't want a FE character, please.
If anything, you're the one who came to psycho-police my opinion. Defensive much? Maybe deep down you know too that they're already more than enough.
You literally said "Pedantic remarks aren't going to make anyone want even more Fire Emblem characters," and claimed people who do should just be happy with the ones we have. It was literally your previous post lmao.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Also on the topic of Fire Emblem characters all i’m gonna say is without Lyn imo Smash will never feel complete.

She’s one of the few Nintendo all-stars I TRULY feel are missing in Smash.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Who else do you expect?
The first party characters I think are the most likely are a Xenoblade fighter (Likely Rex/Pyra/Mythra), Bandanna Dee, and Dixie Kong. All three have solid fan requests behind them and also work to advertise some of Nintendo's most prevalent brands (DK less so, but Dixie Kong is notably missing). Captain Toad might sort of factor in here too. I think as far as new franchises, Astral Chain makes the most sense since I don't expect another FE fighter or a Pokemon fighter given they already are quite heavily represented. Finally, if Assist Trophies get the chance to be upgraded, Isaac and Waluigi are probably the obvious two choices, but I'm still seriously doubting them.

It just seems odd to me that after creating Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K Rool, Incineroar and Piranha Plant (of all things) that they'd struggle for time to create one more unique character over 7 Echo fighters. 6 characters is no where near the amount of time to work on the 15 different smash 4 newcomers (Mii fighters included).
Keep in mind what else Ultimate had to deal with compared to Smash 4 though. Smash 4 only had 37 veterans to incorporate back into the game and then added a further 21 characters (counting Echoes and DLC) over the course of its life. That meant that Smash Ultimate had to do the work of incorporating 58 veterans from the prior game from the very beginning, several of which saw many notable overhauls. Furthermore, Ultimate brought back another 7 veterans that were not previously featured in Smash for Wii U/3DS and all of them required a decent amount of work as even Young Link and Pichu have noticeable differences from their similar counterparts. You end up with 13 additions in Ultimate compared to base Smash 4's 15 character additions when you factor in those returning fighters that were not previously featured in Smash for Wii U and thus required substantially more work (and again, a lot of the Smash 4 veterans also got lots of changes that required additional balancing and work). I think Ultimate's low pool of unique newcomers make a lot of sense in this context, and Echoes (sans Ken and maybe Chrom) were even less work than Melee's clones in the grand scheme of things.

Isaac. For a series that's done as well and as much as Golden Sun has for the GBA it's shocking he hasn't been added yet. Maybe Krystal since Star Fox hasn't gotten a new character since Wolf and hasn't gotten a completely new moveset since 64. Takamaru for being one of the last NES Nintendo stars to not make it. But deserving is pretty subjective so your going to get a lot of replies that you're not a big fan of
I feel like there are a lot of NES all-stars beyond Takumaru. Maybe more are third party leaning, but still. I do think you're overstating Golden Sun a little bit when it had two fairly successful games released back to back and wasn't quite the same staple of the GBA's life cycle as it maybe could have been (And I really enjoy Golden Sun and Isaac, but I do think its importance to the GBA can be a bit overstated).

Potentially unpopular opinion: Sora has merits and potential, but I really don't want Disney involved in Smash.
I mean, Disney involved doesn't change anything about Smash, just the character of Sora and Kingdom Hearts representation. I really do not understand the whole, "I don't want X company in Smash" when we've already got Konami's god awful reputation in the game and we have Kochi Sugiyama's Dragon Quest music. Third parties only have the ability to impact their own content, nothing will be lost in working with another company.

Abade

Smash Apprentice
I just don't like Dimitri. I admittedly haven't played Blue Lions yet and am putting it on hold to prevent burn out after the other 2 house routes took nearly 90 hours but from what I got of him in the other routes, he's just a crazy murderer
He’s not. Dimitri is a top tier Fire Emblem player.
Just try to get on our levels. :troll:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I feel like Geno would be a great bonus character a la Piranha Plant rather than a fighters pass character (w a stage, music, etc)

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If we never get a TP sequel, I think they should make Agitha a recurring character like Beetle. Finding the Golden Bugs was a fun little sidequest.

Everybody loves Midna and Agitha, but I think the breakout star of that whole game was the descendant of the legendary fisherman from Ocarina of Time: Hena. She had some of the funniest one-liners and visual gags in the series, she made fishing less boring, and Rollgoal felt like its own game; for a Zelda minigame, it was overly fleshed out. I was a little disappointed she didn't make it in Hyrule Warriors lol. Her older siblings were cool, too.

I felt like there was some chemistry between her and Link.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The Geno thread has people who claim that the fighter pass and base roster are part of an elaborate plan to announce Geno. Even they don't believe this
Wait, where are those people? I frequent the Geno thread, and if they exist, they're in the minority. I think a lot of us there would agree that this 'elaborate plan' is absolutely ridiculous lol

If I'm wrong, though, that just makes me incredibly sad.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wait, where are those people? I frequent the Geno thread, and if they exist, they're in the minority. I think a lot of us there would agree that this 'elaborate plan' is absolutely ridiculous lol

If I'm wrong, though, that just makes me incredibly sad.
I'm not gonna post it but there's a rather infamous post being spread around with one of those conspiracy theories. Posting it would include the poster's name which tends to incite people harassing them so I'd rather not

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't get why it's so hard to understand that fans of a good game want characters they like in their funny party game.

Three Houses is a game I enjoyed immensely and I'm fond of the characters. Therefore, I want Byleth or a house leader in the game. It's not for "Fire Emblem representation", it's for "Three Houses representation". They're not someone I'm dying to see added but they're someone I'd be very happy to see in.

I'm barely even a Fire Emblem fan. I've played most of Awakening, a large chunk of Echoes, and some of Path of Radiance and that's pretty much it. TH was the first one I've been absolutely obsessed with and it's because it's just that good. So the "you have seven reps!" argument is bull**** because, like, I don't. Sure I like the Awakening guys enough and have nostalgia for Marth, Roy, and Ike, but they're hardly "my" characters like Byleth or a house leader would be.

Also this video is a pretty excellent breakdown of all the TH-specific things Byleth could bring to the table. Getting a character I like with a genuinely cool moveset like this would be awesome.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm not gonna post it but there's a rather infamous post being spread around with one of those conspiracy theories. Posting it would include the poster's name which tends to incite people harassing them so I'd rather not
Yeah, chances are if someone made a crazy conspiracy post like that, it wouldn't really make sense to the wiser of us in that thread (which I'd like and hope to think is a good majority of us). Geno does have fans who fall into crazy reaching territory, trust me (and they make me SO embarrassed to be a Geno fan)... but this ain't it, chief.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Does WeaverSerawl have any clout on gamefaqs? anyone know?
GenoToto GenoToto from the Geno thread debunked this.

Not sure if anyone had a chance to point this out, but I went searching GameFAQs for the username of the 'leaker' in question, found their profile, and about five days ago, they came out and confessed to making fake leaks, so, you know. Definitely dead & buried, but, I hope that Nintendo is considering some kind of Echoes pack down the line. I'd get it - why not, right?

Just because of the weird space Geno exists in, if this pack is all 3rd-Party, he likely would not be in the lineup. I still think, at least for this pack, it's far more likely we'll see Crash or the Doom Marine for Spot #5.

Anything after that, though? We all know it's fair game. :ultduckhunt:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Since I got Mention'd, figured I'd throw in the link to the post that I'd located when looking up the Leaker that was referenced in the video.

Tah-Dah.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I knew that leak was fake just from the echoes. If you think spirits are disconfirmations already, then post-release spirits should be even harder ones, because they would've waited for Link's Awakening or Daemon X Machina to get their fighters to add their spirits to the game if they were getting them.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I feel, the reason why people want Waluigi, Toad/Toadette, & Geno is so Smash can complete the Mario section of the roster. Even though it's bloated enough as it is. Seriously...we have to freaking count the Kooplings as part of the roster.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I knew that leak was fake just from the echoes. If you think spirits are disconfirmations already, then post-release spirits should be even harder ones, because they would've waited for Link's Awakening or Daemon X Machina to get their fighters to add their spirits to the game if they were getting them.
FWIW I do think base game spirits/FS cameos/Mii costumes are safe. DLC variants are screwed imo though, so I think for example, we’d sooner see Dixie (base game Mii hat) than Rex (DLC Mii Costume); Elma (base game Spirit) over anyone from DXM who were not base game Spirits, etc.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Dry Bowser should be a skin if anything. Imo thatd be a waste of an echo spot.

IMO some dope deserving echoes are: Dixie, Octoling, Jeanne, Proto Man, Birdo, Impa

EDIT: i know the term "deserving" will trigger some of you squids. deal w it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm honestly baffled as to why people like making fake leaks. Whether to test our intelligence or just wanting to add supporters. I mean, what's the point of making such fake news?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Which Nintendo character deserves a spot over Dixie? Im all ears
ARMS deserves to have it's first character more than DK deserves to have it's fourth.

Also Captain Toad/Toadette.

Man you'd think people would stop voicing "not important enough" as a rule when we have :ultpiranha: in the roster.
Nobody is voicing it as a rule. Just as a reason why it SHOULDN'T happen. And that much holds. PP WASN'T important enough and SHOULDN'T have been in the roster. And just because Nintendo made a terrible pick doesn't make it okay to have more terrible picks.

Is it ALLOWED to happen again? Of course. SHOULD it keep happening? No.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm honestly baffled as to why people like making fake leaks. Whether to test our intelligence or just wanting to add supporters. I mean, what's the point of making such fake news?
It's not cool enough just to list the characters you want, you gotta say you leaked their inclusion.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
ARMS deserves to have it's first character more than DK deserves to have it's fourth.
Id disagree.

DK has been a pillar in Nintendo's catalogue since SNES; it could use more reps.

Tropical Freeze was a big success on Switch, so Dixie is relevant (not saying arms isnt).

Also, Tropical Freeze's OST is a masterpiece and needs more of its music in smash.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also on the topic of Fire Emblem characters all i’m gonna say is without Lyn imo Smash will never feel complete.

She’s one of the few Nintendo all-stars I TRULY feel are missing in Smash.
eh, im more hector gang

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Attention and getting dummies to kick and scream at each other going "No, this HAS to be fake!" or "NO IT'S REAL I TELL YOU". Like idk, 7 characters supposedly being leaked before the game came out

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Personally, I'm not too concerned about getting another FE rep. It's one of those things where the larger, non-Smashboards fanbase rolls their eyes everytime a new one gets announced, and Sakurai is completely aware of that fact. And even though he's only an Echo, he already added Chrom this game, so I don't really expect to see a 3H rep in Ultimate.

Also, Tropical Freeze's OST is a masterpiece and needs more of its music in smash.
No argument there. I need my Windmill Hills.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah I just really don’t see why we need him honestly.

He was a one-off character from a two decade old spin-off and his only other appearance had him get removed in the remake of said game he appeared in, he’s also not even the only original character from that game (Mallow also was) so I just don’t see why he’s such a special exception and quite frankly no one has really offered a good explanation as to why he would be.

At least K. Rool was the main villain of the first four Donkey Kong games and Banjo was the protagonist of one of Nintendo’s most beloved games from the fifth generation, Geno was from a spin-off outsourced to a third-party... That’s it lol.
I've had the opportunity to play Super Mario RPG recently and I think I understand why Geno dwarfs Mallow. Geno is super cool and he's got guns and stuff while Mallow...cries a lot and does no damage without spending precious FP and is outclassed by the other party members. The "Mallow learns he's not a frog" scene is (likely unintentionally) hilarious though. They play the sad music and everything while the player's going "lol Mallow's an idiot".

D

Deleted member

Attention and getting dummies to kick and scream at each other going "No, this HAS to be fake!" or "NO IT'S REAL I TELL YOU". Like idk, 7 characters supposedly being leaked before the game came out
Heheh. Yeah, like we've fallen for the same trick twice!

To quote some friends of mine who love Smash and thrashing Philippine politics:

"Ang mundo ng 4chan ay parang blog ni Mocha Uson. Maraming fake news."

"We don't know who posted the Grinch leak, but it's safe to say that she/he was the one who gave Imee Marcos her 'degree from Princeton'."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom