• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
People want more Fire Emblem? Damn, Nintendo is brainwashing you guys there's like 7 characters already in the game and 3 of them are clones and 2 of those are from one game. Enough already.

Also, I really hope none of you fell for that 4chan fake leak.
Three Houses is a good game with characters I like. It's not that complicated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

D

Deleted member

Warned for trolling
Three Houses is a good game with characters I like. It's not that complicated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You have already like 7 characters already deal with those, besides its not like they can make an interesting moveset for them, so why ask for another boring character?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
You have already like 7 characters already deal with those, besides its not like they can make an interesting moveset for them, so why ask for another boring character?
Byleth alone has access to pretty much every weapon in the game, not to mention new mechanics like battalions and divine pulse which have a lot of moveset potential.

Oh, and he was a freaking whipsword. I'm sure they could give him an interesting moveset that would appeal to many.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This bothers me in Three Houses, especially because her final class increases her magic Growth Rate. Either way, Let's be real. Robin can't use Nosferatu as a Tactician. If they wanted to give Edelgard her Dark Magic, they absolutely can.
I'm fine with this in Smash but it bothers me in Fire Emblem Warriors for some reason...It's probably because Tharja's a clone of him (Who can't can't use anima magics in her base class which is what Robin focuses on).
Now speaking seriously I really really really wish the will gave us Mii Wizard alongside a little overhaul of the miis...

...Also, more custom moves would be very welcome... right now the moves try to be as generic as they can be to fit a big amount of concepts, but it would be extremely cool if some of this moves also are though for interesting characters repped in mii costumes...
I really wish they went for charm or cool factor and uniqueness rather than a lack of characterization. Miitopia proves that you can be goofy and still represent a wide variety of people, so why doesn't smash jump on board. I think the reason why there isn't a Mii Caster is because the Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner fit the brawler, swordsman, and zoner archetypes respectively so what's the caster going to play like? Zelda? Robin? I'd like it if they tried anyway but it's never going to happen because most people seem to not care about Miis all that much.

If we do get Byleth, I just hope that they make the female one the default. They should've already done this with Corrin, but nooo.
I think Smash was what caused female Corrin to be more popular than male Corrin. Not a counterpoint but I like male Byleth more; the female one has an oddly large head for some reason.

Because:
  • They like the character(s)
  • They could have genuinely interesting gimmicks.
  • Why not?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
After having recently played 3H, I do think Byleth would have the more interesting moveset than Edelgard. Though I'd still rather have Edelgard, because it's not like she wouldn't be unique, and I find her design much better; Byleth's is rather dull imo. Speaking of the initial designs at least, because that's presumably what they'd choose. Though obv of the two, they'd go with Byleth. That's the MC, which is one precedent I do think you can rely on.

All that said, while I enjoyed 3H much more than I anticipated, and I understand why people want characters from games they like, I can't get behind it getting a character at this point. Sure it has potential with which to work, and is a well-received title... but there are no shortage of characters with potential from other well-received titles that have less (often much less) than seven existing characters from the series.

Give those fans some more love too.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
After having recently played 3H, I do think Byleth would have the more interesting moveset than Edelgard. Though I'd still rather have Edelgard, because it's not like she wouldn't be unique, and I find her design much better; Byleth's is rather dull imo. Speaking of the initial designs at least, because that's presumably what they'd choose. Though obv of the two, they'd go with Byleth. That's the MC, which is one precedent I do think you can rely on.

All that said, while I enjoyed 3H much more than I anticipated, and I understand why people want characters from games they like, I can't get behind it getting a character at this point. Sure it has potential with which to work, and is a well-received title... but there are no shortage of characters with potential from other well-received titles that have less (often much less) than seven existing characters from the series.

Give those fans some more love too.
That and Edelgard actually has a personality. (Or at least I'm assuming Byleth doesn't have one. I haven't played the game yet.)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That and Edelgard actually has a personality. (Or at least I'm assuming Byleth doesn't have one. I haven't played the game yet.)
Agreed. Edelgard actually has a personality, Byleth doesn't. But character personality in Smash doesn't matter, it won't affect chances or inform the moveset past maybe the taunts, so I don't judge characters based on that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Let's move on.
So it's bait because it's an unpopular opinion that people don't agree with. Ok
There's enough Fire Emblem characters already and most of them are bland, with the exception of Robin and maybe Corrin. Most people are going to forget about the character when another FE comes out and they'll ask for the new protagonist or avatar instead.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
There are plenty of characters from other series' I'd love as well, of course. Part of it also is that I'm not really a giant Fire Emblem fan or anything. I just really enjoyed TH that much. It's my speculation post and I can be selfish if I want!

Right now my top five most-wanted first parties list looks something like Style Savvy, Akira Howard, Elma, Byleth w/the house leaders, and Ryota Hayami Captain Toad.

And my most-wanted third-parties are Phoenix Wright, Heihachi, 2B, Arle Nadja, and Travis Touchdown.

My big pipe dream is Marina Liteyears.

In the end I just want to see characters I enjoy punching each other and I don't think that's too much to ask or so wrong.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Byleth got a whip sword right? sounds pretty cool to me better then corrin at least.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Honestly I'd be down for just about any Three Houses character whether it be Byleth, Edelgard, Dimitri, or Claude. Three Houses is seriously one of Nintendo's best games in a long time that a rep from it would be more than just a shill pick. Even with me getting other new games I always find myself going back to Three Houses because of how amazing it is.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Honestly, I just want characters I like, and I prefer simpler movesets anyways, so if Edelgard gets in and her moveset is literally just 'girl with an axe and a few moves from the game', I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doomslayer's still in the top running as far as Fighter Five goes. But honestly? There's no telling.
Alongside him I'd also say Crash, Ryu Hayabusa and an Capcom rep.

There's also that possilibity of another character we wouldn't expect like an Dark Souls character or Dovahkiin.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
Alongside him I'd also say Crash, Ryu Hayabusa and an Capcom rep.
There's also that possilibity of another character we wouldn't expect like an Dark Souls character or Dovahkiin.
I'd be totally down for some Dragonborn action in Smash.
My most wanted is Amaterasu from Okami, but I know that's rather far-fetched. Phoenix Wright is the more likely Capcom rep, I think.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd be totally down for some Dragonborn action in Smash.
My most wanted is Amaterasu from Okami, but I know that's rather far-fetched. Phoenix Wright is the more likely Capcom rep, I think.
I myself would love Amaterasu as well. Really pulling for her. On top of being an 3rd party female rep and being quadrepeal. She'd bring an unique moveset and from a franchise based off Japanese mythology. I myself love mythologies and cultures especially Japanese, Australian Aboriginal and Indigenous Americans.

D

Deleted member

I myself would love Amaterasu as well. Really pulling for her. On top of being an 3rd party female rep and being quadrepeal. She'd bring an unique moveset and from a franchise based off Japanese mythology. I myself love mythologies and cultures especially Japanese, Australian Aboriginal and Indigenous Americans.
Isn't Amaterasu actually a male wolf?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
The DQ livestream is very interesting. So much behind the scene things from Sakurai.
Just Hero bit here. I don't want to translate all but you should be looking forward for full-translation from PushDustIn.
Demands for DQ was always there but Sakurai thought it was just impossible however Nintendo said to him this time may be they can make it happen.
SE suggested Slime first but Sakurai really wanted Hero. Hero was first only had 11 and 3 skins but Horii gave him go for the others. Sakurai really wanted DQ3 hero and he had intention to create 8 different Heroes but he couldn't do it because of time constraints. The image of DQ1 hero is too varied and DQ5 protagonist is not a sword-wielder so they went with DQ4 hero instead. DQ8 protagonist was for overseas.
The concept of Hero was to represent the big-hearted, easygoing and generous feelings that DQ has. He knows that competitive players tend to dislike randomness but Smash is always meant to be a loose game.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
SE suggested Slime first but Sakurai really wanted Hero.
Well, I guess that's another example of Sakurai/Nintendo really having the final say of which third parties to include over the third party companies themselves. Much like how they settled for Cloud or Pac Man's classic design etc.

Which is good that they are keeping the hold on which characters to include and how their designed and all.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well, I guess that's another example of Sakurai/Nintendo really having the final say of which third parties to include over the third parties themselves. Much like how they settled for Cloud or Pac Man's classic design etc.

Which is good that they are keeping the hold on which characters to include and how their designed and all.
Still interesting to see how Slime got close to being added.

It's also another instance of Sakurai deliberately choosing the main character over other options. Which might be in favor of say, Byleth over his students.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
SE suggested Slime first but Sakurai really wanted Hero.
This is definitely the most interesting bit.

Really makes you wonder what other characters were suggested to Nintendo from companies like Sega, Konami, SNK, etc.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Hey y'all what's the current discussion in terms of potential or likely newcomers?
maxresdefault.jpg

(There were a few fake leaks that got people talking for a few minutes, but as of now we're still talking Ryu, Doomguy, Crash, and Sora. Sorry ol' chap.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The DQ livestream is very interesting. So much behind the scene things from Sakurai.
Just Hero bit here. I don't want to translate all but you should be looking forward for full-translation from PushDustIn.
Demands for DQ was always there but Sakurai thought it was just impossible however Nintendo said to him this time may be they can make it happen.
SE suggested Slime first but Sakurai really wanted Hero. Hero was first only had 11 and 3 skins but Horii gave him go for the others. Sakurai really wanted DQ3 hero and he had intention to create 8 different Heroes but he couldn't do it because of time constraints. The image of DQ1 hero is too varied and DQ5 protagonist is not a sword-wielder so they went with DQ4 hero instead. DQ8 protagonist was for overseas.
The concept of Hero was to represent the big-hearted, easygoing and generous feelings that DQ has. He knows that competitive players tend to dislike randomness but Smash is always meant to be a loose game.
Thank you Sakurai, for making competitive players butthurt over a character.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wish we could’ve gotten Slime, too.

Hero is fun and I liked the DQ 11 demo, but a Slime is more interesting to me, tbh. Seems like it could’ve been more fun for me personally. Plus I like its design. DQ definitely can’t be represented well without the Hero, though.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Ngl would've preferred Slime.

We don't really have a shapeshifter character in Smash yet and I honestly think he would've been more interesting then... what we got...

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Byleth with The Sword of the Creator and summonable Edelgard, Dimitri and Claude as their down B >>>> your favourite character's moveset
Sakurai: "Aw man, he's right. And I had this really cool Kyo moveset planned and everything... oh well"

*throws Kyo concept in trash*

:p

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Definitely interesting news. Even more so because a lot of Erdrick supporters were treating suggestions of Slime as something downright offensive for DQ's Smash representation. I guess the fact that SE was the one to suggest Slime really shows how much presence the little things have.

That said... I wonder what other Hero skins we would have if not for time constraints. Maybe some of the recolors we ended up getting (DQI and DQV)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom