• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Also Can I ask this thread a Question

Is it me, or Does Sephiroth look Scarier and more unhinged in this game than Usual?
Its not just you.
He looks more cleaned up to me, the big parts, massive sword, flowing hair, straps across chest, and his one wing stick out a lot more than in something like KH. I love the way the Smash team did him this time around.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Just had a thought...

If Lara isn't a Mii fighter costume on the 17th and with seires specific spirit events seemingly over, I wonder if that would mean anything for her.

I just cant see Nintendo and Square Enix completely overlooking Tomb Raider. Even Resident Evil (yes, I know its a bigger franchise) and freaking Warframe got spirit events. Its such a landmark in video game history. And unlike other western third-parties (aside from Steve and Banjo), she's owned by a huge Japanese cooperation.

It'd make me so sad that Tomb Raider got no representation in Smash because it doesn't heavily appeal to the Japanese.

I know I rag on about Lara all the time but I just find it kind of shocking she's not in this thing and potentially won't be.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair, a few other things were taken down before showing up in Smash, but I did think it didn’t mean much since it was probably just their dumb bots or something. I was being genuine with my post when I said it was funny, I was hoping if Geno got in he would actually come with more than two songs since Square started to not seem as stingy as people said.
Sure, but for the first point, tons of things get taken down by companies. A music channel just had its entire Ocarina of Time playlist taken down, iirc. It's just that only the ones people think are relevant to Smash get reported, so it makes them seem more special than they are.

And I think we all hope that characters come with as much content as possible, Geno included were he actually a character. That said, the "Square's not stingy" kinda stuff is in the same vein as the "irrelevancy doesn't matter" kind of thing, where Square is obviously willing to play ball but still undoubtably not the easiest to work with, and lack of "relevancy" is still a factor, it's just that these are not insurmountable obstacles. In part because Smash's budget is exorbitant. They still pumping millions of dollars into individual CG trailers two and three years after the game has released - that aren't even in the actual product.

But yeah, Square is not some unmovable, obstinate wall. Though just getting Cloud back in the first place kinda proved that, if not Hero later.

Wars is my favorite Nintendo series and despite being a first-party series older than Fire Emblem with 12 games to its name it doesn’t get so much as a measly music track in Ultimate. I would kill for even something like the Mii costume Geno got in 4, and again, Wars characters are first-party! But it just ain’t gonna happen and I‘ve long since accepted that. It’s much better for your mental health to accept that long-shot characters probably aren’t gonna make it.
Yeah, Wars really gets the short end of the stick. The AT didn't even return. And I 100% agree to err on the side of keeping expectations low, even for characters that aren't considered long-shots. People blame Nintendo and Sakurai and all but they do it to themselves more than anyone else does.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Just had a thought...

If Lara isn't a Mii fighter costume on the 17th and with seires specific spirit events seemingly over, I wonder if that would mean anything for her.

I just cant see Nintendo and Square Enix completely overlooking Tomb Raider. Even Resident Evil (yes, I know its a bigger franchise) and freaking Warframe got spirit events. Its such a landmark in video game history. And unlike other western third-parties (aside from Steve), she's owned by a huge Japanese cooperation.

It'd make me so sad that Tomb Raider got no representation in Smash because it doesn't heavily appeal to the Japanese.
Hmm. I can't say for certain. She may be fighter if that doesnt happen. She'd be cool but I think if she isn't a Mii Costume, Spirit Event is in her future.

D

Deleted member

It has been a long while since we got a new spirit event that featured new spirits.
It's still crazy to think this song is in Smash. It's so infamous
I'm really, really sorry to be that person.

But famous is when something is popular.

Infamous is when something is notorious, or famous for a bad reason.

Yes, Sephiroth is a villain, but I wouldn't say his song came into fame because of a horrible world case.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Let's do a game that involves some fan-rule breaking. Not like actual breaking, but basically, let's pick some characters that would defy fan-rules that have yet to be broken just for fun. Like here's some clear examples, but you can add ones not listed below:

-Echo Fighters have to be from the same franchise as the character they are Echoing: Blaziken(Captain Falcon).
-Echo Fighters have to be the same hitbox/height as the character they are Echoing: Viridi(Palutena)
-DLC Fighters cannot already be an Assist Trophy: Isaac
-DLC Fighters cannot already be a Mii Costume: Rex
DLC Fighters cannot be already be a Pokeball- Darkrai

Shroob

Sup?
It has been a long while since we got a new spirit event that featured new spirits.

Yes, Sephiroth is a villain, but I wouldn't say his song came into fame because of a horrible world case.
Shiny, click the video.

PacificFun

Smash Ace

Its a meme

D

Deleted member

Shiny, click the video.
I've literally heard it before.

Did Sephiroth murder anyone in real life? Like just because a video game character is evil, doesn't make then infamous. Sephiroth is beloved.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I am very excited for this Sephiroth presentation. He looks extremely fun.

But oh boy... If the Geno costume does show up...
I don't hate Geno, but honestly if he's not playable I really want his mii to show up in Sephiroth presentation so we can move on from discussing him. I don't hate discussing him, it's just that at this point I'd rather have an official confirmation so we can talk more about other characters.

Also Can I ask this thread a Question

Is it me, or Does Sephiroth look Scarier and more unhinged in this game than Usual?
He doesn't look that different than what he looks in the remake. I think it's more in the way he's animated. I wouldn't say he looks unhinged, but he looks very menacing, way more than any other vilains in the game. The cgi trailer part also focus on that. In most trailer like Joker or Hero, the character gets beat up until something happen (Joker don't look that strong until Arsene come and Hero got beaten until the 3 other Heroes and is command menu his shown). Sephiroth his just beating the sh*t of everyone and he's like "I wasn't even trying" Show his wing.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just had a thought...

There's still roughly a year of DLC left, don't get ahead of yourself on spirit events.

I just cant see Nintendo and Square Enix completely overlooking Tomb Raider. Even Resident Evil (yes, I know its a bigger franchise) and freaking Warframe got spirit events. Its such a landmark in video game history. And unlike other western third-parties (aside from Steve and Banjo), she's owned by a huge Japanese cooperation.

I know I rag on about Lara all the time but I just find it kind of shocking she's not in this thing and potentially won't be.
When all is said and done there are going to be many noteworthy third-party series that aren't in Smash in any regard. That's just the nature of things.

Also, the selection for spirit events have been very sporadic. There's no real discernable hierarchy in terms of who they choose, so Warframe getting a spirit is not reason to believe series bigger than it inherently will. Or on that basis, should.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
When all is said and done there are going to be many noteworthy third-party series that aren't in Smash in any regard. That's just the nature of things.
Yeah...

Its frustrating because Square Enix owns her. If she was owned by a Western company, I probably wouldn't be rooting for her because of the hurdles. But since she's owned by Square, she's like "right there".

I'll take a spirit event at this point. Just don't leave it out. ;-;

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Man

The first party side just gets more and more depressing to look at as this game goes on lol
Felt like doing a thing after seeing this. Here's all the newcomers from 4 and Ultimate.
First Party:

Third Party:
Here they are without the DLC additions.

Not really trying to prove a point or anything here, just felt like it would be a nice visual.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah...

Its frustrating because Square Enix owns her. If she was owned by a Western company, I probably wouldn't be rooting for her because of the hurdles. But since she's owned by Square, she's like "right there".

I'll take a spirit event at this point. Just don't leave it out. ;-;
Unfortunately Square isn't like the other Japanese third-parties in that I'm sure even if it was just a supporting role, many people would like to see Lara or Crono or 2B or Neku or whoever, but it's probably going to be limited to the two series that actually have playable characters.

Maybe a spirit event, if they're lucky, but that also seems to be somewhat lower-tier, promotional stuff. So maybe TWEWY will actually get one next year.

And in that way, Geno is actually quite fortunate that he manages to buck the trend. Because he could easily just not be there are all. It is Square.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Felt like doing a thing after seeing this. Here's all the newcomers from 4 and Ultimate.
First Party:

Third Party:

Not really trying to prove a point or anything here, just felt like it would be a nice visual.
Poor Ken.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
First Party:

Third Party:

You-
You forgot Daisy. ;-;

You remember Dark Pit but you forgot Daisy.

I'm gonna go take a walk.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Let's do a game that involves some fan-rule breaking. Not like actual breaking, but basically, let's pick some characters that would defy fan-rules that have yet to be broken just for fun. Like here's some clear examples, but you can add ones not listed below:

-Echo Fighters have to be from the same franchise as the character they are Echoing: Blaziken(Captain Falcon).
-Echo Fighters have to be the same hitbox/height as the character they are Echoing: Viridi(Palutena)
-DLC Fighters cannot already be an Assist Trophy: Isaac
-DLC Fighters cannot already be a Mii Costume: Rex
Reimu breaks the precedents of A: No indies, and B: No Japan-centric characters. After her, we start predicting characters like Shantae and Sakura from the breaking of two rules. Of course, we get proven wrong the next fighter after.

On a side note, I'd like to point out that I kinda disagree with the term "fan rules." That implies that it's set in stone, when it's really just basing things off of past precedent and patterns. If anyone actually treats these things as a rule and isn't just going "Because so-and-so has or hasn't happened, I think X," we're gonna have a very weirdchamp moment on out hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom