• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Do you ever post anything that isn't "first party DLC would suck"?
Well, do you ever post anything that isn't "stop wanting big third parties"?

I'm not even saying that "first party DLC would suck", I'd like characters like Dixie or Ring Fit Trainee, I'm just pointing out how much more vapid the current first party DLC lineup is in comparison to the third party side of things. Min Min is alright, but outside of her you just have, like, two promotional FE characters and a Mario mook.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Depends on your definition of longshot.
I'm thinking in the perspective of any character this thread thinks can NEVER EVER EVER EVER happen, AKA everyone who isn't Crash/Dante/Hayabusa/a gen 8 Pokemon.
Well, do you ever post anything that isn't "stop wanting big third parties"?
More like "stop expecting every single character to be either Crash/Dante/Hayabusa/a gen 8 Pokemon".

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Man

The first party side just gets more and more depressing to look at as this game goes on lol
The third party side of the DLC just kept continuously breaking big conceptions people had about character inclusions over and over again. First people were thinking Nintendo wouldn't approach the same companies for another character, then Ryu happened; then they thought they had to be deeply linked to Nintendo itself, Cloud happened; then they thought Bayonetta would be too mature for the game, cue her happening; then everyone thought all DLCs for Ultimate would be promotional, boom! Joker appear, then many wonder if Nintendo would go through all negotiations to get Hero and moreso to talk with the direct competition (Microsoft), turns out talks with both of those went smoothly; then people thought we wouldn't see any more third-parties with Byleth and Min Min, Steve came out, and then the idea that already-represented franchises wouldn't get a unique character, cue Sephiroth.

Only Terry never really change any expectations, and even then, he should get an honorable mention for bringing the most content as a DLC, something that has never been equalled ever since.

The first-party characters barely changed people's views on what Smash would include. In fact, half the times, their reception came up as negative.

Shroob

Sup?
Not one of the characters in this pass so far were ever considered likely, so I don't think it's fair to tell people to give up on long-shots in general.

Geno is a special case. He's one of those few characters who's become extremely popular despite accomplishing very little in his lifetime.
Eh, Steve was considered likely........ for FP1. Lol

Wrong place at the wrong time.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Hold one minute.

CP9 has been staring us in the face the whole time:

View attachment 295340

We've all forgotten about him, so maybe he'll come and blindside us like Sephiroth and Min-Min
The problem with that is Origami King already had a spirit event during this pass which I feel is pretty damning for Paper Mario's chances. Why not hold off on that for his DLC pack if he was planned to be a character?

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Not one of the characters in this pass so far were ever considered likely, so I don't think it's fair to tell people to give up on long-shots in general.

Geno is a special case. He's one of those few characters who's become extremely popular despite accomplishing very little in his lifetime.
Oh huh, In that case let me pull out the biggest Long-Shot I have

civ1_logo.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Eh, Steve was considered likely........ for FP1. Lol

Wrong place at the wrong time.
All three of the ONLY "realistic" characters have some sort of catch. Erdrick's an alt, Byleth was considered more appropriate for after FP1, and Steve was more popular as a speculation choice in FP1 and also shows how Sakurai can't just snap his fingers and bam, a big name appears on the roster.

D

Deleted member

I really hope this doesn't upset people, and if it does, I apologize.

But how did Geno become so popular in the Smash fanbase, when he isn't as known in the gaming community?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
The problem with that is Origami King already had a spirit event during this pass which I feel is pretty damning for Paper Mario's chances. Why not hold off on that for his DLC pack if he was planned to be a character?
To be honest, I don't know, probably for some quick easy promotion to help bolster some sales, then add Paper Mario as a fighter, bolster more sales.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
The problem with that is Origami King already had a spirit event during this pass which I feel is pretty damning for Paper Mario's chances.
Not only that, but the Paper Mario series in the past several years has killed off any goodwill it had with the fans. If the character gets in now, the reception will likely be less like Min Min, more like Corrin.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think the only DLC Character that was predicted without the Aid of leaks, nor predicted at the wrong time was Banjo. Banjo was leaked weeks before, but he was already commonly Speculated about

Everyone else either needed leaks to point in their direction, Were predicted but at the wrong time, or We just not given the time of Day.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I thought the Take-Two character I want (Uniracer) was a long shot, but I have been beaten.
Yeah it's kind of funny how one of the biggest franchises in Gaming is such a long shot, I feel like since Take-Two and Nintendo are kind of buddies now, I do think we could get a spirit event or something, but other then that probably not.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I really hope this doesn't upset people, and if it does, I apologize.

But how did Geno become so popular in the Smash fanbase, when he isn't as known in the gaming community?
Because Smash community was largely isolated from the general gaming community for the longest time.

That's why you see so many uninformed hot takes on a daily basis.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't think it's really fair to compare first-party DLC characters to third-party DLC characters.

One, there's more than twice as many third-parties, so you have more to look at.
Two, half of the characters are from a franchise that people were specifically asking to not be given more characters.
Three, Min Min is honestly the only character who reflects what a decent number of fans have wanted to see.

You could swap out some of the DLC characters with Ridley and K. Rool and then people would probably rank them closer together. It's just that the four characters we've gotten so far have done a very poor job of appealing to fans.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not only that, but the Paper Mario series in the past several years has killed off any goodwill it had with the fans. If the character gets in now, the reception will likely be less like Min Min, more like Corrin.
I dunno. This seems like hyperbole.

Origami King has had mixed reception but its more positive than the previous two entries.

Moreover, Smash tends to take the most from games people love when designing a character, so this seems like fear mongering.

Legit getting flashbacks to people thinking Banjo would only be Nuts and Bolts themed and Mega Man being bad box art Mega Man.

Shroob

Sup?
I dunno. This seems like hyperbole.

Origami King has had mixed reception but its more positive than the previous two entries.

Moreover, Smash tends to take the most from games people love when designing a character, so this seems like fear mongering.

Legit getting flashbacks to people thinking Banjo would only be Nuts and Bolts themed and Mega Man being bad box art Mega Man.
Hell, Piranha Plant's side B is from OG Paper Mario.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai said that he wanted him during the Brawl days and people latched onto that.
He said that during Smash 4, though, and apparently he had a decent-sized fanbase before then. At least, I think so?

I believe it’s just because people think he’s cool and want to see him come back in some form. He wasn’t as big during Smash 4 speculation from what I’ve read, though I believe Sakurai’s words and the mii costume helped people feel their support could do something, which is why they got louder like Steve fans did.

I’m a newer Geno fan though, so this is all based on what I’ve seen from others over the past two years and my own thoughts.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I don't think it's really fair to compare first-party DLC characters to third-party DLC characters.

One, there's more than twice as many third-parties, so you have more to look at.
Two, half of the characters are from a franchise that people were specifically asking to not be given more characters.
Three, Min Min is honestly the only character who reflects what a decent number of fans have wanted to see.

You could swap out some of the DLC characters with Ridley and K. Rool and then people would probably rank them closer together. It's just that the four characters we've gotten so far have done a very poor job of appealing to fans.
I think that's pretty much the point of the image: that Nintendo has done a very poor job when it comes to including their own characters in their own game compared to how they've included third-parties.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Paper Mario would be the way to earn back the trust and goodwill for first Party Characters.

But instead we will get Lora and everyone will be mad.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He said that during Smash 4, though, and apparently he had a decent-sized fanbase before then. At least, I think so?
Actually Geno had a huge drop off for Smash 4.

His popularity sank after Brawl.

Ironically the costume was what reinvigorated his fanbase.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like Paper Mario would be the way to earn back the trust and goodwill for first Party Characters.

But instead we will get Lora and everyone will be mad.
Spirit events with new spirits are meant to show who WON'T be DLC. Besides, they'll all go back to their generic "hype" DLC picks after five minutes anyway after Paper Mario joins.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Actually Geno had a huge drop off for Smash 4.

His popularity sank after Brawl.

Ironically the costume was what reinvigorated his fanbase.
Oh yeah that’s what I meant; apparently it wasn’t big during Smash 4, but it was decently-sized before then, and what you said and I mentioned happened and supporters felt more hope I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom