• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I want to fully own up to being wrong. I was someone who repeatedly said that the precedent of all the other DLC characters would continue. I have egg on my face thanks to Sephiroth. Even though I was wrong, it makes me pretty excited for the rest of the pass because I really don't know who might be coming.

D

Deleted member

You know what's also interesting? Vol 2 so far have contained characters from the same companies in the previous Pass with Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square Enix (although since Steve's inclusion Mojang was added to the copyright list but I guess they're in a similar position as Atlus are).

Looks like we have a new precedent on our hands now.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, I don’t make memes but can someone make a meme of Sephy bisecting a beloved fan favorite speculation character like Crash or Dante and saying “Oh, this was your most wanted?”
I expected someone to photoshop Jonesy's head over Aerith being killed by Sephiroth. Step your game up, memers.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
I just realized that Sephiroth is on the banner on the Japanese Smash website, but not the American one.
Y'know, I've never played FFVII, and I gotta say... One-Winged Angel is more or less an utter triumph of game music, it is REALLY damn good!

Does anyone know it the one in Seph's trailer is a new remix or an existing, official one?
I think I heard someone mentioned it was either from Advent Children or Dissidia (IDK because I never finished FFVII...)

I.D.

Smash Lord
You know what's also interesting? Vol 2 so far have contained characters from the same companies in the previous Pass with Nintendo, Microsoft, and Square Enix (although since Steve's inclusion Mojang was added to the copyright list but I guess they're in a similar position as Atlus are).

Looks like we have a new precedent on our hands now.
Another patternGOD is born

Shroob

Sup?
I love how people craft trailer ideas based on the Nintendo character that will be killed off next and try to theorize how that could indicate who the next character is.

This trailer was legit though cause Banjo’s reaction to Sephiroth. Banjo and Sephiroth...it still feels strange.

Also, I don’t make memes but can someone make a meme of Sephy bisecting a beloved fan favorite speculation character like Crash or Dante and saying “Oh, this was your most wanted?”

I would love it.
Cough cough

People already out here photoshopping Geno onto Sephy's sword.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh, and by the way, the "new universes" fan rule is completely invalid in every way shape and form.

They added a character from a franchise that's already represented on the roster and from a game that was already represented on the roster.
It wasn’t a fan rule.

It’s called speculation for a reason, lol.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
It wasn’t a fan rule.

It’s called speculation for a reason, lol.
Seeing a lot of hostility towards speculators tonight for like, no reason lol.

Gotta love how we never said these were rules and always made it clear they were precedents that could be broken. :drshrug:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
The 17th will be very interesting.

Will Geno get tossed in the woodchipper as a PreMiium costume

Or will he somehow dodge the bullet

Tune in to find out on next week's episode of SMASHBOARDS Z.
At this point, Geno getting a deluxe Mii costume would be super good and hype. It's not at all certain we'll see another pass and when it comes to this one... Well, anything's possible but Geno's chances are looking real, real bad. Plus, when it comes to body type and such, he passes really well, similar to Sans.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Something to keep in mind for Banjo;

-They have had literally one Microsoft-exclusive game since it was acquired. Callimg him Nintendo-only is incorrect. He's mostly Nintendo either way.
-Yes, he was being used. Just barely. His IP was specifically in use for Rare Replay, and later merchandise to obviously tie into Smash Bros.
-The fact he hasn't gotten new games at all for a long time is why people thought he had no chance. Being with a competitor further made it worse, till Phil Spencer showed up, at least implying "competitor" may not matter. Sakurai also confirmed he doesn't care about console wars.
-Minecraft and Halo were also a lot bigger. And you also had an active revival franchise at the time of speculation, being Killer Instinct. Then we later on got a Battletoads revival, which didn't help. Though I forget if that was before of after Banjo & Kazooie's Smash reveal.
-Sakurai directly advertised Banjo & Kazooie for Microsoft. That at least proves the whole idea of the character not being used is... bunk. Yes, he's used. Absolutely non-notable, but unused is different. Series is still dead, yes. But while this may be semantics, it isn't for companies. Every single third party franchise had some kind of product at the time of being added.

That's all. I'm glad a ton of characters got in~

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
:ultmario:and:ultluigi:
:ultryu:and:ultken:
:ultcloud:and :ultSephiroth:

It's like a work of art.
I appreciate the irony in the descending levels of love the characters have for one another on this chart.
Mario & Luigi are literal brothers
Ryu and Ken may very well be considered brothers, but still put up a great fight against one another
You don't even need to hear about Cloud and Sephiroth, you already know their dynamic

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
One weird thing I'm glad about: I'm happy that Sephiroth actually uses magic in his moveset. My main criticism with Cloud was that he never used any spells even though they were a big part of the game.

Plus I love spellswords in general

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There’s apparently a rumor going around on Japanese Internet that Sephiroth was always intended to be included as DLC in exchange for allowing Sakurai to bring back Cloud and that the deal was to withhold FF content for the base game and, instead, for DLC content in Pass 1 which was eventually moved to Pass 2.

Not sure if I believe it but it sounds possible.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Is Advent Children a good movie? I've never seen it or heard anything about it really, but it's clear that Sakurai likes it and I know his favorite JoJo part is Battle Tendency so he must have good tastes.
All i know is when I was a teen it was hype as hell (at least the dope fight) and made me want Sephiroth and Cloud for smash singlehandedly with no prior FF experience.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Is Advent Children a good movie? I've never seen it or heard anything about it really, but it's clear that Sakurai likes it and I know his favorite JoJo part is Battle Tendency so he must have good tastes.
It has cool fight choreographies and a very dumb plot I can't care to remember
It's mostly fanservice to be honest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom