• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It has cool fight choreographies and a very dumb plot I can't care to remember
It's mostly fanservice to be honest
If you are a FF fan, it’s fangasmic. Other than that, it’s mediocre. It’s a good flick. I personally idolize it lol

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Haven't seen Advent Children but it must be better than Spirits Within.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
There’s apparently a rumor going around on Japanese Internet that Sephiroth was always intended to be included as DLC in exchange for allowing Sakurai to bring back Cloud and that the deal was to withhold FF content for the base game and, instead, for DLC content in Pass 1 which was eventually moved to Pass 2.

Not sure if I believe it but it sounds possible.
Can't wait for them to add Tifa in order for them to be able to bring back both Cloud and Sephiroth in the next game!

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Weren’t there some Rare-related files in the game at launch? iirc it’s one of the reasons a lot of people thought we were getting Banjo.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Is Advent Children a good movie? I've never seen it or heard anything about it really, but it's clear that Sakurai likes it and I know his favorite JoJo part is Battle Tendency so he must have good tastes.
Ayo source? Need to confirm if Sakurai has taste.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I had an idea

what if Sephiroth comes with not only more FF7 music BUT ALSO more Square Enix music in general?

like from non-7 FFs, NieR Automata, Chrono, Star Ocean, TWEWY, and dare I say it

Super Mario RPG?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Weren’t there some Rare-related files in the game at launch? iirc it’s one of the reasons a lot of people thought we were getting Banjo.
For Spirit franchises, yeah. IIRC those franchises were copyrighted by Nintendo for their Japanese releases like Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini, so they probably dropped them after doing some research and realizing they didn't have the rights to them the world over.

D

Deleted member

If you think Banjo was such an easy call, I think that's more indicative of overlooking the significance of the inclusion and the dearth of precedence for such a collaboration. Seemingly evidenced by your chalking him up as just "some old character no one was using".

Not using a character =/= being fine with your competition using a character.
Fans wanting a character =/= working with your competition to please them.
One influential person in the company being fine with collaboration =/= every other necessary party involved across rival companies being fine with it (and taking the steps to bring it to fruition). Especially when you consider one of those companies is the ultimate not-a-team-player, Nintendo.
You're right; I was considering him from an outsider's perspective. The perspective of every gamer who never played Banjo-Kazooie and just knew that its only history was with Nintendo outside of the failed Nuts & Bolts. If not for Smashboards, I never would have remembered that the series wasn't owned by Nintendo anymore since I haven't seen the game since 2008. 12 years ago now! To anyone outside the Smash and Nintendo scene in general, Banjo's inclusion really didn't seem like a surprise in the slightest; it felt natural like Simon & Megaman.

So again, I ask you. When you look objectively at all the characters we were told were returning in July of 2018....and combine it with the reveal of King K Rool, a Rare character, in September....Plus the crazy third party addition of Joker and Hero....Plus the retroactive look at who has come since (Terry, Sephiroth, Sans as a special Mii costume, and Steve from Minecraft of all additions) what exactly still makes Banjo-Kazooie a surprising addition to you?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There were but it was for games that had different names in Japan, so presumably they were put in with people thinking Nintendo owned them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There’s apparently a rumor going around on Japanese Internet that Sephiroth was always intended to be included as DLC in exchange for allowing Sakurai to bring back Cloud and that the deal was to withhold FF content for the base game and, instead, for DLC content in Pass 1 which was eventually moved to Pass 2.

Is it just me or has some variation of this rumour been a thing for every character this year.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
With Sephiroth confirmed and Geno most likely being a Mii Costume, we might actually see some more variety in this thread, because Godwin's Geno's Law is finally broken.
I just hope the mods are ready for the presentation next week.

And let me say my sympathies go out to all of you in advance.

Shroob

Sup?
I just hope the mods are ready for the presentation next week.

And let me say my sympathies go out to all of you in advance.
I'm still extremely cautious about next week, because honestly, I could see a fringe case where the costume just doesn't show up, dragging this on even further.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
what exactly still makes Banjo-Kazooie a surprising addition to you?
Still the fact that they are owned by Microsoft.

Just because you forgot they were, doesn't mean a majority of other people did. Your own anecdotal evidence is about as good as mine saying that everyone I know who knows of BK, knows they're owned by Microsoft.

PacificFun

Smash Ace

That makes a LOT of sense.

Is Advent Children a good movie? I've never seen it or heard anything about it really, but it's clear that Sakurai likes it and I know his favorite JoJo part is Battle Tendency so he must have good tastes.
I personally really love it, but your mileage will vary. When it comes to the story, you'll either love it or hate it. It handles some topics that are really cool but don't naturally translate very well to storytelling (like depression), and it admittedly doesn't give you all the information you would want to know in some scenes. It expects you to know some stuff before you go in. That said, it does some things very well in spite of itself. It all depends on whether those things will carry the rest of the movie for you. For me it does. It may for you, or it might not.

I'd say give it a shot.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
So a few things:

1) Sephiroth is the first character to be the 2nd unique character from a series with content already in Smash. It remains to be seen if this will be repeated.

2) It’s now blatantly obvious that series with content (character, stage, etc) in Smash are in the running to get a new Challenger Pack.

3) As Sephiroth (I can’t believe I’m typing that) is the main villain of that game, is not a protagonist which bucks that trend. That said, I think it’s worth noting that Sephiroth is among the literal most iconic villains, even characters, in gaming history.

Basically it opens up new possibilities. However, I’m not sure it’ll lead to stuff like Eggman, and it seems like a somewhat typical response we have- crazy unexpected picks throw us for a loop and gets us to assume that more picks will follow suit. That said...I would be careful will putting all sorts of eggs into a basket in that regard. It opens up the possibility, but will it continue in a big way??? Big question for sure.
I'm probably Eggman's biggest supporter here and, despite him likewise being among the most iconic villains, I still think he'd be more likely as bonus character (if we get any) or base roster of next game. But I do enjoy the boost of hope Sephiroth brings and hey, at least we got a villain!

The Eggy dream is still alive

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So yeh

still banking on Octoling getting revealed

Hero’s trailer had the Dharkon focus with the awakening auras

Sephiroth’s trailer had a Galeem focus but no Galeem awakening auras

the Galeem awakening auras are the same color as the Sanitized ink in the Octo Expansion

Shut up and let me have this

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
Yeah, I'm still watching just in case.
Also this year's game awards has been a lot better than last year so far.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
It is - IMHO - a strange movie. It's clearly focused around action scenes and spectacle (kinda like how Sephiroth's trailer is framed), but its weakness is primarily that it's extremely Cloud / Sephiroth-centric. Tifa and the other characters clearly don't get to do that much in the movie - and even then their contributions are centered around the Cloud / Sephiroth dichonomy. And that dichonomy is dialed up to 11 in that movie. It kinda harms the story since it felt like Cloud's characterization took a step back from FF VII's endgame. Still, it handles depression very well as ALongWistfulSquiggle ALongWistfulSquiggle noted.

The action scenes are stunning, and it's got both memorable and memetic moments (such as Sephiroth collapsing a skyscraper on Cloud's head, "dis pear" and Cloud's flipphone, which was all the rage when the movie released back in 2005). It's also a very well-shot movie, as in the camera movement's good. Some scenes can be difficult to follow, but they do a good job conveying what's happening.

Do go for the Complete version, it's the better version.

I just wonder what was going on when Nintendo was negotiating with Square Enix at the time.
Taking a complete shot in the dark:

Something akin to both Nintendo and S-E realising that they already had one foot in the door with Cloud / Midgar, and Nintendo evidently thought that the profits from Sephiroth's Challenger Pack could offset the costs of licensing additional FF7 / FF in general content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom